Werx 7- Mtbr.com

Thread: Werx 7

mtbr member

Werx 7

I've had an X6 since last summer and it has treated me nicely. It handles trails perfectly and I feel comfortable taking it into the air a little without fear of it snapping in half. But I'm also seeing that I could stand an upgrade and wanted to know more about the Werx 7. Basically I'm looking for something I can use for trails of all designs as well as something that can handle the abuse from repeated jumps and drops. What I like so much about my X6 is that it's nimble and easy to handle so I'm hoping the same is true about the Werx. If there are people here who haved owned both a Werx 7 and one of the Extreme series I'd certainly like to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

mtbr member
    The Werx 7 is a great bike but will likely feel a little piggy as compared to your X6. It's definitely a freeride bike that has all the parts on it that are suitable for that type of riding (read: heavier) as compared to the X6 which is more of an all-mountain bike.

I have a Werx 7 and I've taken it on "trail" rides where there's been a fair amount of climbing. It doesn't climb very fast or very efficiently because that's really not what it's designed for. It's designed for the descents. But if you are patient and willing to spin your gears a bit, it will climb.

If you are planning on selling your X6 to buy an X7 and that's going to be your only bike, I'd base your bike choice on the type of riding you do the most of. If you are doing mostly freeride, DH, and aggressive stuff and want a bike that *can* climb to the top of the hill, then the X7 would be a good choice. However, if you are doing mostly trail riding and occasionaly hit the gnarly stuff, you're probably better off with your X6.

mtbr member
    Thanks Jill. I wouldn't see myself getting rid of the X6, it just does what it does so well. I guess part of my issue is I'm not sure what the limits of the X6 are and I feel that some things I'm capable of doing would maybe damage it. So I like the idea of a bike built to the point that I probably wouldn't be able to ride to its potential for a while just for the peace of mind that I'm probably not overly stressing the bike. I just like to treat my toys nice basically. So I guess I'm just looking for a bigger bike that I can bring out when the situation calls for it and something I'd hang onto for the next few years.

Aug 2007
    If you demmo'd an X-7, you'd quickly want to get rid of your X-6...

mtbr member
    For FR and DH I'd imagine so, but I also race in Super Ds where I've found it quite nice to have the X6. Climbs fairly well while also being able to fly down the mountain, good balance.

mtbr member
    Yeah, IMHO the X7 is going to be a bit much for most Super D's. The X6 would be better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've ridden a 2004 X2/3 for the last two years with a smile on my face the entire time. I started out on the medium (19.5" seat tube), which was way to big for any aggressive riding (that didn't stop me). I then stole my wifes frame (a small with a 17.5" seat tube) that fit me much better for the DH/FR and aggressive trail riding that I enjoyed so much. The X6's are virtually the same as the old X2's and X3's. There may be slight differences that I am unaware of. I found that these frames work very well for what you do and will also hang in there with my buddies' Santa Cruz VP free and Giant Reign X. You can push that frame pretty far. However, it is not a full on FR or DH bike (although it does well in these arenas). I wanted a new bike that was more suitable for my riding style and really looked into the Werx 7 but could not afford it. I ended up getting ahold on an Ibex Zone FR-1 frame at a really good price and I'm building it up now.

In other words, if you want a do it all bike...you already have it. If you want a shuttle bike slap on a 66 or Fox 36 or even a dual crown fork go down. If you want a more trail oriented bike then use one of the AM series or a Fox 32 fork. I swear by the Azonic Outlaw wheels, they are versitle. You can use the same wheels and by swapping out forks you can in essence have two bikes.

However, if you want a full on DH/FR bike get the Werx 7 while you can. I don't think it's available next year.

Members who have read this thread: 0