VL120 Front Derailleur Space- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

VL120 Front Derailleur Space

Hello. I think I am just about to buy a Sonix VL120 from my LBS but before I do I have 2 questions I was hoping somebody could answer. First, the space between the front derailleur and the rear tire is incredibly close and if I put a nobbier tire on the rear it would probably rub on the derailleur. Has anybody else noticed this and do you think it is a problem? The LBS even recommended putting on an LX front because it isn't as wide.
    Second, I had the store weigh the bike and it came in at 31.5 lbs. Doesn't that seem heavy? What is the official out of the box weight? I'm going to take a look at the new Gary Fisher Hifi and I think they come in around 26-27 lbs. Maybe I shouldn't be so worried about weight but moving an additional 5 pounds up the mountain can definitely make a difference.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Yes, the front der spacing is close, but honestly, we haven't any issues. maybe if you try to run a tire wider than a 2.3 in the back and pick up some mud or a stone, but a 2.3 or wider tire on that type of bike is pretty wide.

I'll address the other part of your question in the other thread you started.

Members who have read this thread: 0