Upgrade or new bike? (X-Post AM)

Well, my current bike first;

Haro Extreme X6, Midnight Blue
    White Azonic Outlaws
    X-Fusion Glyde-R
    Truvativ Ruktion 1.1
    CrankBros 5050XX
    E.13 Bashguard
    Michelin Mountain X'Trem 2.5 (Roll better, and are the same size as my Neve 2.35) W/ Intense DH Tubes
    Truvativ XC Riserbar 31.8
    SRAM X.7 Shifter, 2:1 ratio, XT Rear Derailleur
    SRAM Cassette
    RockShox Domain 302 U-Turn

And it's an 18". I am 5'8", so, is it too big? I can't decide. I don't know.

Some of you might remember my thread a lil' while back about getting into AM instead of full on FR. So, I think I've decided to do so, as my friend is about to quit.. He's going to buy use his bike as an AM, after he gets a fork upgrade.
    So, I was thinking, should I upgrade to a Giant Reign X.2, or continue with my bike? I can grab a new rear shock from the 08 line, I've been in touch with X-Fusion, and I am really liking their new lineup of Air shocks. Almost like a Manitou Evolver line, but with the look of a DHX. And, it's the only shock that comes in the right stroke/Eye2Eye as my current one.
    That, and possibly upgrade the fork later on, as well as converting to tubeless (That's what my tyres are made for anyway...) Possibly upgrading to a new fork, Fox 36 TALAS, or Fox 36 Vanilla.. Also, probably upgrading brakes to Forumla Oro Puro..

A new Reign X.2 is around $2200 at my LBS, so, I could go that route, and get a 16" if my current bike is too large. I am thinking my current budget is going to be around $2000 in December/January timeframe. After that, I am buying a Motorcycle to be my commuter bike during the summer. So, I'm pretty much blacked out after that, because I am getting something nice and reliable, so I don't have to pay ANYTHING during my college time, except college.
    So, for a budget of $2000ish, what should I do?

Last thing: I plan on doing a huge spring break bike trip with someone. I mean, full on 6-7 day trip on a bike, camping, living off the land, with pictures. So, I want to be able to pedal. My current bike is a single pivot, but I can swing up the ProPedal, or equivalent on the X-Fusion if I need to to lockout the back when climbing, or etc.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

mtbr member
    Wow, lots going on in your post here, Draken!

Is your X6 too big for you? It depends on what you want to do with it. If you were still going to go the FR route,I'd say yes because you typically size down one size. If you are going to use it for AM, 18" is perfect for you.

Here's the question I'd ask you (and you don't have to give me an answer if you don't want to). Do you like your X6? If you just don't like it, then maybe it's time to move on to something else. But if you really like the bike and want to use it for AM, here's what I'd do to make that bike better suited for that type of use:

-Ditch the heavy wheelset. I don't know what the Azonic rims weigh, but my guess is they are pretty piggy. Anywhere you can reduce rotational weight will be the best money you can spend.

-Ditch the 2.5 tires in favor of a lighter, skinnier tire. It's that rotational weight thing again.

-Ditch the Domain fork. Too heavy and too much travel for an AM bike. You are on the right track with a Fox Talas (wonderful fork) or the 36 Vanilla.

-Invest in a nice rear air shock (there are lots of them) that has a good, adjustable pedaling platform and lockout.

-If you are running a single ring up front, get at least a double with a bashring or a triple.

Chances are, if you sell off all of your old parts (Ebay is a wonderful thing) to get some new ones, you just might up ahead of the game financially and you can put the $$ into your moto or college.

Shop *****
    Yeah, I do like my bike, but I think I have almost lost interest. The straight single pivot is good for FR, but it has almost no platform for pedaling.
    If you look at the post I made in the AM forum, I think I am decided on getting a Scott Ransom.. Full rebuild from the ground up, because I don't like the way they spec it.

But, if I were to keep the X6 and turn it into a full AM build, it would level out to about the same as a new bike...
    I've been in contact with X-Fusion, and their new H3 line coming out looks killer, and would be a nice compliment to the X6.

And to answer your question: Yes, I did like my X6. It was a really good starter bike, but I think I am outgrowing it.

Shop *****
    Quote Originally Posted by drakan
    Scott Ransom 30 Frame w/ Equalizer
    Avid Juicy Carbon F/R 185mm
    RockShox Lyric 2-Step Air '07
    Mavic DeeTracks w/ Stans
    Kenda Nevegal 2.5 Stick-E Front, 2.35 Dual Compound Rear
    RaceFace Evolve X-Type 22/32/Bash w/ BB
    SRAM X.9 Front D, SRAM X.7 Rear D/Shifters, PG991 Cassette
    CrankBros Mallet C White
    RaceFace Evolve DH 70mm Stem
    Generic 30.9 Seatpost
    Raceface Carbon Bars
    OURY's
    Pearl Izumi Juice M2
    Fox Flux
    Cycle Computer (Wireless)

All of which is around $4k, and I will be buying in the spring...
    As said by me in the AM forum.
    But, I really don't want to ditch my first FS bike either, and desert the loyal Haro fanbase

Mega Edit:
    Haha, I just realized that Haro makes an almost exactly-the-same bike, the Werx Xeon... I might have to spring for that instead ;]

2nd update: I found something I like, ALOT.
    http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...OD&ProdID=2193
    Last edited by drakan; 09-09-2007 at 02:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I do like my bike, but I think I have almost lost interest. The straight single pivot is good for FR, but it has almost no platform for pedaling.
    If you look at the post I made in the AM forum, I think I am decided on getting a Scott Ransom.. Full rebuild from the ground up, because I don't like the way they spec it.

But, if I were to keep the X6 and turn it into a full AM build, it would level out to about the same as a new bike...
    I've been in contact with X-Fusion, and their new H3 line coming out looks killer, and would be a nice compliment to the X6.

And to answer your question: Yes, I did like my X6. It was a really good starter bike, but I think I am outgrowing it.

OK, fair enough. Before you trade your single pivot in for something else because you think you've "outgrown" your single pivot, consider that some of the world's best riders race and compete on single pivot bikes. Heck, Cam Zink won Crankworx last year aboard a semi-custom Haro Shift which is basically a Shift front triangle with an X6 swingarm. Eric Porter rides and competes in slopestyle on an X6. Aaron Chase rides for Cannondale, who make single pivot bikes. Santa Cruz...many of those racers do certain events on Hecklers and/or Bullits.

Modern advances in rear shock technology has raised the bar for single pivot bikes. I'm not terribly familiar with the X-Fusion Glyde shock you are running, but from what I recall it's a coil shock with just rebound damping. Put a nice air shock on your X6 with full rebound and compression damping along with the ability to tune your spring rate via air, and you'll feel like you have a different bike.

Or, you could just buy a Xeon. But even at that, I hate to see people chase after the "perfect ride" when it's as close as the bike they already own with a few minor adjustments.

Shop *****
    I'll see if my LBS has a Xeon in stock, but I doubt it. I can always ask them to get one.. But then I have to buy it.

Sure there are advances in shock tech., but single pivots are the most basic of shocks. There are also a few things that the Xeon has, that I want, and my X6 will not provide.
    1. Remote lockout via the Pearl 3.3 and Poploc (Correct me if I am wrong, but I know it locks out, when you 3rd click the Pearl 3.3, and with Poploc, it could be done at the handlebar level)
    2. An Enduro bike, something I can ride for 3 days out in the bush, and not have to worry about it breaking. Pretty much a non-issue with either
    3. Climbing and descending. The x6 is pretty heavily built as-is, and I don't think it's really that easy to rebuild lighter..
    4. My x6 frame had.. A slight problem. Basically, the pivit wheel was dished incorrectly (I was unaware of this at the time...) And now, there's a hole in the rear swingarm. It's my fault, and I can't get it warrantied (So say my LBS) The tire rubbed away the left side of the rear swingarm, so it's basically cracked in the swingarm, which is why I don't do anything but mild XC rides, or cruising the neighborhood. I don't want it to blow up in my face. So, saying this, I am in the market for a new bike indef. but, I could buy another x6 frame with crash replacement, for cheaper...

There are a few others, but 4 pretty much denies using my CURRENT x6...

mtbr member
    Can't argue with ya. The Xeon pretty much kicks ass.

Regardless of what bike you choose, have your LBS call us. I'm sure we can sell you a swingarm under crash replacement.

Shop *****
    If I remember right, you have a Xeon... How do ya like it?
    Also, my LBS is a pain to deal with.. There are two. One that sells Giant, Spesh and Haro, the other sells KHS, Marin, Jamis and Kona...
    The one that sells haro is an absolute mess to deal with. They are only in it for the money, and would doubtfully sell me a Xeon at the same price as Greenfish, and if I ordered it there, I could build it myself at the other bike shop (I worked there for 4 months)... So, it seems I will really only be in contact with the Haro dealership in case of emergency, lol...

mtbr member
    Yes, I have one and I love it. Climbs great considering it's got as much travel as your X6 and descends awesome.

Well, if you can suck it up and deal with your local Haro dealer (geez it pains me to hear those kinds of complaints about our dealers), we can more than likely get you set up with a rear swingarm at crash replacement. If there's another dealer near you, you don't have to use the dealer you bought the bike at. Any Haro dealer can take care of warranty stuff.

Shop *****
    I've been reading a little more. I see it's built around a 140mm fork, but what say you get a 160mm Lyric 2-Step Air w/ travel adjust to 115mm?
    I want the bike to be a good climber, and descender that I can take to the bike park once or twice a year.. Kind of like a SC Nomad, but I see it's not like this.
    I might re-look at the Scott Ransom... Or another bike really, because I was hoping that I could make this a do-all bike for around $2k..

mtbr member
    The geometry is designed around a 140mm fork. We designed all the Virtual Link bikes with more travel in the rear than the front for balance purposes...it's technology we borrowed from motocross as dirt bikes are frequently set up with more travel in the rear than the front. You have better ability to absorb shock with your arms than with your legs...your legs are merely dead weight.

You can put a 160mm fork on the front but it will rake out the front end and make it much taller. You'll probably find you'll end up riding with it in the 140mm setting most often.

Shop *****
    All right. This clears up my suspiscions and I think I am going to go with the Werx Xeon as my next bike.

Now. It's time to decide on the components...

I am trying to decide on which forks to get. The ones I am contemplating are...

Magura Wotan
    $790, travel, rebound, platform, air preload adjustments, 203mm rotor

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=16895

Fox 36 TALAS (06)
    $629 Travel, Rebout, Platform, Air Preload, Compression (High/Low speed) 6-8" rotor

http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cf...gId=39&id=4001

Fox 36 TALAS (07)
    Same as above, pretty much.

http://jensonusa.com/store/product/F...+Talas+07.aspx

Fox 36 TALAS (08)
    New color, but basically same as above two..

http://jensonusa.com/store/product/F...as+Rc2+08.aspx

RockShox Lyrik 2-Step Air (07)
    Misson control... So basically every adjustment possible

http://jensonusa.com/store/product/F...r+Fork+07.aspx

Marzocchi AM 1 (07)
    TST, ATA, ETA, Air/Coil Preload/Compression adjustments

http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cf...gId=39&id=4200

Marzocchi AM 1 SL (06)
    External positive & negative Air Preload, 5-Position TST bladder system for compression & lock-up, External Rebound Adjuster (bottom), Progressive Air Bottom Out Air Preload (bottom)

http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cf...gId=39&id=3690

I think I am going with either the Lyrik, Zocchi AM 1 SL, Wotan or 36 TALAS 06..
    But, if there are other suggestions, please be my guest. I am only really going to be using the 160mm during descents. It is going to be at 140 or 120 the majority of the time, so I can use the slacker HA to help soak up the bumps.

Other components:
    Cane Creek S-2 Headset silver
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...ess%20Headsets
    Stylio Team Crankset
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ankset+08.aspx
    KMC Steel Chain
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ed+Chains.aspx
    Kenda Nevegal 2.35 dual compound
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...egal+Tire.aspx
    WTB Speed V Comp Saddle
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...mp+Saddle.aspx
    Raceface Evolve AM Stem @ 70mm
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Am+Stems.aspx
    RaceFace low-rise carbom XC bar
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Rise+Bar.aspx
    Thomson Elite Seatpost
    http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...ROD&ProdID=724
    SRAM 991 cassette, SRAM X.7 shifters, X.9 Rear Derailleur, X.7 Front derailleur.. X.7 for the ability to see the gear number... SRAM is dumb for not including it on the X.9 and X.0

Now, here's where I need input. I think I am going to go with a custom wheelset. Sun Single Tracks laced to Hopes or Shimano.
    And brakes. Dunno if I want to go with Juicy Carbons, Magura Louise, or Shimano Saint/XT. (That chooses the hubs too )
    Also, I might order some parts through a shop, saving me a bit of cash (Acutally a lot ) So, I am hoping for the build to come out around $2,000 or $2,500...
    Thanks for looking everyone...

Shop *****
    Decided on going for a full-DH/FR bike (Marin Quake 7.2)
    And a XC bike (Iron Horse Hollowpoint)
    Keeping the X6 as a trail bike/AM bike.

mtbr member
    Sweet! Sounds like your bike stable is getting as big as mine.

Shop *****
    If only the good LBS would stock Haro. Then I might have a good stable

mtbr member
    If only the good LBS would stock Haro. Then I might have a good stable
    I hear ya...... here in Eugene Oregon we have alot of bike shops and the best shop doesn't carry Haro, the DH/FR/DJ shop are arrogant and dis Haro. Soooooo..... we drive 50 miles to a po-dunk shop because its a ma and pa shop the dog is layin at the door.

Members who have read this thread: 0