Thread One rear hub?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Thread One rear hub?

Dumb question... my son has a Thread One ('06 model). I was going to swap out the freewheel for a different tooth count (he's 12yo, and 17tooth would be better for the riding he does). I figured it was a standard BMX-style freewheel, but it looks nothing like the freewheel on my Paul Word rear hub. Is it just a regular casette hub, with a single gear casette (ie, can be swapped for a regular 8-speed casette)? Or, something else?

mtbr member
    The Thread One takes a single cassette gear...a geared cassette will not work. If you want to run gears, you can do that by ordering a derailleur hanger from your Haro dealer and a new rear wheel. You'll have to run full-length housing since there aren't any cable stops on that frame.

If you want to keep it a single speed, just order a singlespeed cassette gear for it. If you don't have a cassette tool and/or the installation puzzles you, you might want to have your LBS help you out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Ah, that make sense. I just assumed it would have used a BMX freewheel and was surprised to see it didn't.

mtbr member
    Cassettes hubs are generally more reliable and far easier to change out than freewheels. Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

Members who have read this thread: 0