Sonix Werx front derailleur clearance- Mtbr.com
    Porkchop on two wheels
    Oct 2006

Sonix Werx front derailleur clearance

Wanted to check with people on here who have experience with the Sonix and front derailleurs. I just recently purchased a 2006 Gold Sonix Werx 5 frame. I had both an XTR and Gen X high mount derailleurs laying around from other bikes but neither worked. I got a great deal on a Saint low mount but it didn't work well either and didn't work with the X9 shifters very well either. I like using the X9 shifters for the thumb only shifting so I didn't want to put a Shimano shifter that I have on. I purchased an X7 front derailleur at my LBS that works great and has around 1/4" of clearance to my rear tire.

Does anyone know what front derailleur gives the most clearance to the rear tire?

I haven't been able to ride much because of a bum ankle and chipped bone + torn tendon in my finger, once I get more time on the bike I'll put up a review. From what I have read, it sounds like I won't be disappointed.

Here is my set up right now:
    2006 Sonix Werx 5 VL120
    2006 Rockshox Reba Race
    Manitou S-type Shock
    Cane Creek S-8 headset
    Titec hellbent 7075 riser bar
    Titec hellbent lock on grips
    FSA OS140 90mm stem
    Avid Ultimate brake levers
    Avid BB5 Front Brake
    Avid BB7 Rear Brake
    Avid Flak Jacket cables all around
    Hope Ultralight xc front hub
    Chris King Classic rear hub
    Salsa Delgado rims
    American Classic skewers
    DT Swiss Comp spokes
    Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 tires
    SRAM X9 shifters
    SRAM PPG990 11-32 cassette
    SRAM PC991 hollow pin chain
    SRAM X7 front derailleur
    SRAM X9 rear derailleur
    Shimano Saint cranks with SRAM allow chainrings
    Salsa bash guard
    Drive Magnesium platform pedal/Time ATAC clipless
    Stock seat post
    Sette flip lock seat clamp
    FSA SLK Carbon saddle

I have a lot of parts from my previous frame that didn't fit on this frame so I will be posting them in the classifieds in the near future.

I will post up some pics of my bike and get it weighed at the LBS as well in the near future. The only thing I have to compare it to is a steel full rigid ss 29er that weighs 23 pounds but it feels pretty light. My buddy has a nicely built Giant Trance and it seems lighter than that. I can tell you that it felt very quick handling wise and accelerating but that is no surprise since I have only been riding a 29er ss for the past month. It handled a 7 foot high, 20 foot long pile of railroad ties very nicely on the one ride I've taken it on so far. It was a short ride and I have some injuries so I couldn't give it hell at all.

Thanks!

Roll on!

mtbr member
    The 2008 Shimano FD have way better clearance than previous models. They have a little notch in the cage for better clearance. 08 XTR is available now; I don't know when the rest of their 08 product is available.

Porkchop on two wheels
    Oct 2006

Thanks Jill

Much thanks Jill, I will keep my eyes peeled for the 08 model. For now the X7 seems to be working very well with the Crossmark tires. I took a two hour ride last night, when that bike is dialed in it is one sweet ride for sure. I'm going to post up a review today so I don't want to delve into it here. The awesome customer service is noted and appreciated! All the best!
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion" Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Sweet! Keep us posted on how it goes.

Members who have read this thread: 0