single pivot discussion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

single pivot discussion

does the single pivot on the extreme bikes show disadvantages compared to other more complicated suspension designs? I'm 160 pounds right now, so would there be brake squat?

mtbr member
    It really just depends. Single pivot bikes are easy to set up, good all-around performers, and a snap to maintain since there is only one main pivot to service. Modern advances in rear shock technology have really made these bikes come alive with the introduction of pedaling platforms (compression adjustability),lock-out, and rebound adjustability. Will you get brake jack (where the rear suspension will "lock up" slightly under braking)? That's the trade-off, but in my opinion, it's a minor concern. I've ridden single-pivot bikes for ages (before coming to work for Haro I rode for Santa Cruz for a few years), and you just get used to it and/or buy a floating brake arm.

You'll find that every suspension platform has it's advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I think Horst link bikes descend nicely, but I can't stand the way they climb. Vice versa for rocker arm (or walking beam) bikes...I think they cliomb great, but I'm not crazy about how they descend. Of course, that's merely my opinion. You'll find everyone has their own ideas about this if you ask.

And since this is the Haro forum, I can say that our Virtual Link bikes kick ass since in my opinion, there aren't as many "trade-offs" as there are with other platforms. They climb outstanding and descend incredible.

mtbr member

Unfit Norwegian
    And remember: Faux-bars are really also singlepivots.

Members who have read this thread: 0