Need some help from Haro- Mtbr.com

Mar 2007

Bonking ... not feelin' well Need some help from Haro

I bought an 06 Haro X7 2 weeks ago and a day after I first rode I got a very loud metal vibrating, clangy, chingy noise that is obviously coming from the Rotors/Calipers/Pads. I took the bike back in and after turning some spokes and making sure the Rims were true both the front and back rotors were now making the same noise if I got up to a little bit of speed and just steered back and forth/ left to right.
    The dealer called Hayes and Haro and Haro responded with ... The single point suspension has some flex which is not an uncommon problem with single point suspensions. There is nothing I can really do about this absurdly loud noise and have a good day is about where it ended. I really don't find this an exceptable answer to my problem. I was told by the dealer I might be able to go from an 8" to a 6" rotor and it may get rid of the flex that the rotors are getting...thus no rotors hitting the pad/caliper.

Assuming there is someone affiliated with Haro or other X7 owners.....Is this a common problem/noise that I have to listen to...or is there a way to fix this?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    It's going to happen. I've never understood people who want their bikes completely silent anyway. If the noise is anything like I imagine it it's not "absurdly loud" it just sounds like brushing, chain rub is louder.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Does the rotor rub when the bike is in a stand (or when you pick up the back wheel) and spin the tire?

Mar 2007
    The sound isn't a "brushing" sound. Take an 8 inch rotor and flick it with your finger near the outer edge and listen to the metal vibration...now imagine that 10 times louder and almost constant when turning left right or pedalling hard.

Bray- The rotor does not rub when I have it on the stand. The clearance looks almost non existent from the very outside edge of the rotor and the inside of the caliper. The rotor itself looks to almost rub the pad and might have a very small bend in it but its hardly at all.

I don't care to have my bike silent......thats not the point. But this clanging vibrating metal noise is not something I hear anyone else having. I'll have to figure out how to take a video with my digital camera and put a link up here for it so you can hear.

mtbr member
    Have you checked your rear axle? The X7 has the 150mm oversized nutted rear axle that sometimes folks don't always get as tight as they should. That could contribute to this noise you are hearing.

Also, if you hear this noise when you are diving into a corner and pedalling hard (like you said you do), wheels do have a certain amount of flex in them...and compounded with the fact that the bike has an 8" rotor, you may hear that "tinging" brake rotor noise. This isn't a problem associated with just single pivot bikes...it happens on many bikes with 8" rotors.

You could go with a 6" rotor and that would probably eliminate some of the noise you hear, but keep in mind you're losing brake surface area. Larger brake surface area helps keep your rotors cool, especially if you do a lot of DH.

The fact that the X7 is single pivot has nothing to do with the rotor noise you hear. Yes, sigle pivot bikes do have a small amount of flex in them, but that's usually by the pivit itself and not near brake caliper.

So I hope that helps. My X7 does exactly what yours is doing in situations like I just described.

Mar 2007
    Thank you for the advice and help. I will check the rear axle tomorrow and see if that helps. I can deal with the noise as long as that doesn't affect performance.

Jul 2006
    Humm.. new bike, So1e's brake noise..?? Maybe, probably.. So1e, like the MX-1/2 Mechanical disk-brakes, the "inside-pad" is "fixed" (adjustable) the "outside-pad" is the only one that "moves"..
    So you run with a bit of clearance on both the inside and outside pad, .
    When you apply the brakes, it actually "flexes" the rotor..as the outside pad "pushes the rotor toward the inside pad"

There are a couple possibilities.. like the inside pads are just set a bit "to-close" the the rotor..
    There is also the possibility that the caliper isn't "lined-up" just right, making the pads which are a bit "sharp" on the new edge, drag slightly against the rotors when the swing-arm flexes..

Or even more likely, the pads themselves, since they are new, clean and "loose" might just be "rattling" against the rotor.. I would have to go find a So1e caliper, but as I remember, the pads just "sit" in position, no clips or anything..dirt etc. will solve this one..

(were talking thousands of an inch here)

My guess is that it will solve itself as the pads "bed-in" and get more clearance..
    You might also try just "dragging" the brake when you are getting the noise when you pedal, if it goes away, thats what it is for sure..
    Last edited by theProfessor; 03-20-2007 at 08:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    To me it sounds like a brake set-up issue rather than a frame/single-pivot issue.

I have an X2 (little bro to the X7...almost exact frame design though). A 6" rotor in the back might be one solution depending on your needs. I'm 220+ w/ gear & find that an 8" rotor in front & 6" in back slow me down just fine. I have virtually zero rubbing on the rear disc w/ a 6" rotor...though I'm using Hayes Mags brakes.

The front 8" rotor has been a different story for me. No matter what I do, it rubs slightly...even after a shadetree truing. Right now I don't have a thru-axle fork (need one desperately) & my fork & front wheel flex when I'm hammering on it (same thing on my hardtail). I assume this has something to do with my issue. So for the time being I'm content to live w/ a little disc rub...

I would suggest setting up the brakes again following the mfgr's instructions or have your LBS do this. Research those brakes...perhaps others are having similar issues.

Jul 2006
    Sounds like the So1e / MX1 pad rattle... I know people who have taken a very small dab of super-glue on the back of the FIXED pad..(It does have to be moved sometimes to adjust the brakes)..so you need to be able to "break it free"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i ride a x7 and sell them as well and ill tell you straight out that the hayes brakes sucks big donkey dick. I ripped them off and put avid bb7's and have never had a single problem and they are so much nicer. I think that evne fx9 suck and they are a ***** to set so that they dont rub. my guess is that you rotors are out of true because they are 8" rotors. at speed a little rub can cause the rotor to vibrate (its harmonics).

there is no flex in this frame, i mean a 150x12 rear doesnt really flex.

Mar 2007
    Well, I tightened down the rear axle as much as I could...I just have to wait a few days to ride. I took some petal studs right below the kneecap and put a hole right into a tendon on Tuesday morning. If that changes nothing, I will be switching brakes and putting new rotors on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...hin-Guards.htm

Leg protection is your friend when riding platforms...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Cameronz- just keep in mind that all disks rub at some point. if they never do, consider yourself lucky. But if they are good brakes (not the sole's), and set up properly, they only provide a tiny amount of drag that mountain bikers live with in order to have the power of disks. After all, we're not roadies (at least not when we're on our mtb's). My co-worker (we work in a shop that sells haro's) rides an x7 w/ juicy 7's (8") and they sing a pedaling cadence as we climb. And he is a much better mechanic than myself. I am not going to recommend 6" rotors altho they would flex less. or more correctly, the wheel flex is less amplified 6" from the hub than 8". But I ride a sonix and am long past the days of even thinking of launching myself off cliffs. The guys that I see doing this are all riding 8" rotors.

Merky- really? no flex in this frame? altho this has nothing to do w/ this thread and the brake issue- a 150x12 might not flex (much), but an undersized single pivot does.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ok saying that there is no flex was an exageration, everything flexs to a degree (mech. engineer major so i study this crap to much) and while i do agree that the pivot is not biggest and baddest, torsional forces about the pivot point should not affect the brake rotors rubbing on the caliper. his problem is 100% brakes and has nothing to do with the frame.

camronz- sorry to say but you just have bad brakes, not bad from a stopping power standpoint. but more from a set up and overall trouble free operation standpoint. look at your rotor and the clearence bettween it and the pads. spin the wheel and see if the rotor is true (its not). you might need to put some shims between the frame and the brake braket to center the caliper better.

but this a all brake rub related

Mar 2007
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll have some pics up hopefully this weekend of the things we are building to put the Haro to the test. I'm going to change out the brakes regardless of the noise and stick with the 8" rotor.

Members who have read this thread: 0