??? for Mary SS riders- Mtbr.com
    bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

??? for Mary SS riders

Any one else having this problem?

When out of the saddle, or on tighter turns the front discs are rubbing on the rotors. If I tighten the skewer down tight, they will pull the rotor in the caliper toward the outside, and of course the wheel wonít turn freely. If I leave it looser, then we have the rubbing when climbing. It seems as though the fork has just a little too much room, or is it too much lateral flex. Or am I just missing something obvious. I have put about 400 miles on this. I like the bike, just frustrated trying to get that front wheel issue dialed in.

In case you are recommending taking it back to the shop where I bought it Ė
    When I picked up it, (ordered it) the rotors were rubbing, the inside pads were rubbing, and I had to explain how the EBB worked so I could get the crank to spin freely, the chain was very tight. (a small one man shop, the only bike shop within a one hour drive) When I took it back for the 30 day adjustment, he had the brakes rubbing again, so I donít have much confidence that he can take care of this problem. When I addressed the brakes pads rubbing on the rotor, he simply said he couldnít hear anything.

This isnít my first bike with disc brakes, but never had issues like this once you dial the brakes in. Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise I will take it back in and see what can be done

mtbr member
    Sounds like you might need to find another bike shop to deal with. But that's just my opinion.

It really sounds to me like your brakes are out of adjustment. Avid mechanicals are typically pretty easy to adjust the rubbing out. Have you tried using the red dial on the inside of the caliper to adjust the pads out? There's an arrow on the dial pointing the direction to turn for "in" and "out". Depending on how much you adjust the pads out, you might need to adjust the cable tension using the barrel adjuster on the lever.

If that doesn't work and you still have rubbing issues, here's an easy way to set your pads.

-Put bike in stand
    -Loosen up the bolts that go into the brake mount adapter. These are the bolts that have all the spacers on either side of the caliper itself. Don't loosen the bolts up to the point where the spacers fall out; loosen them up just to the point where you can move the caliper back and forth.
    -Spin the wheel and then grab the brake.
    -Without letting the brake go, tighten the bolts back up.

You might have to repeat this process a couple of times and fiddle with the caliper a bit, but this should help you. As always, my disclaimer is if you don't feel confident enough to do this, please seek the help of a qualified mechanic.

Please let us know how it goes!

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill
    Sounds like you might need to find another bike shop to deal with. But that's just my opinion.

It really sounds to me like your brakes are out of adjustment. Avid mechanicals are typically pretty easy to adjust the rubbing out. Have you tried using the red dial on the inside of the caliper to adjust the pads out? There's an arrow on the dial pointing the direction to turn for "in" and "out". Depending on how much you adjust the pads out, you might need to adjust the cable tension using the barrel adjuster on the lever.

If that doesn't work and you still have rubbing issues, here's an easy way to set your pads.

-Put bike in stand
    -Loosen up the bolts that go into the brake mount adapter. These are the bolts that have all the spacers on either side of the caliper itself. Don't loosen the bolts up to the point where the spacers fall out; loosen them up just to the point where you can move the caliper back and forth.
    -Spin the wheel and then grab the brake.
    -Without letting the brake go, tighten the bolts back up.

You might have to repeat this process a couple of times and fiddle with the caliper a bit, but this should help you. As always, my disclaimer is if you don't feel confident enough to do this, please seek the help of a qualified mechanic.

Please let us know how it goes!

I appreciate your input, have been doing all of that. Except maybe there is too much tension on the cable, as the problem was more pronounced after the 30 day adjustment where he took the slack out of the cables. Will try that. Thanks

ridin' Mary
    I had the exact same problem. The rotors were rubbing on the body of the disc brake, and I could not possibly move the disc body further out of the way. It was already at the limit of the setup.

I wound up taking a couple of layers of cardboard to use as a shim between the hub and the fork. I think the braze-on for the brakes is just in the wrong location on this fork. Once I added this shim to push the fork out a bit, then the avid brakes could be adjusted correctly so there is no rotor rub. Without the shim it was not possible.

But then again... I got a Reba and that solved the need for any shims.

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OhNooo
    I had the exact same problem. The rotors were rubbing on the body of the disc brake, and I could not possibly move the disc body further out of the way. It was already at the limit of the setup.

That is my problem, I can't move the caliper over any farther, but I am going to try and loosen some tension on the cable first, before trying anything else. Thanks

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Well I let out some tension on the cable, still no noticeable help. Then I placed a washer between the hub and inside of fork. That did the trick to take that slack out, caliper adusted nicely, and it sures feels great.
    My only question, am I doing something that will affect the hub/wheel negatively?
    I have never done something like this to any of my bikes in the past, and that is a long past of riding mountain bikes since 83'.

ridin' Mary
    I'm not sure whether the disc mounts on the fork are located in a non-standard position, or if the pivit hub puts the disc in a non-standard position. Whatever it is, these two components just do not work well together.

I really do not know which component is the cause of the problem as I replaced both fork and hub at the same time on my Mary.

mtbr member
    Very weird. Other than you guys on this thread and the Mary thread in the 29er forum, I don't know that I've heard about any issues like this. I'll let our warranty and product guys know and would love to hear if anyone else out there is having a similar issue with the front brake rubbing like this.

ridin' Mary
    I'm the one who started the other thread on the 29er forum. So it looks like this just affects myself and bhc so far.

I'll contact you offline (if I can figure out how to do that) to see if you would be interested in inspecting the fork/brake/hub on my bike. I've replaced all three of these components already, so I have them sitting available for inspection.

ridin' Mary
    Downhilljill, your private messages folder is full. I sent you my email address, but it got munged by an emoticon and a follow-up notice got bounced due to the full folder.

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill
    Very weird. Other than you guys on this thread and the Mary thread in the 29er forum, I don't know that I've heard about any issues like this. I'll let our warranty and product guys know and would love to hear if anyone else out there is having a similar issue with the front brake rubbing like this.
    It is either that the fork has too much space, or that the mounting area for the caliper isn't just right. I tried a 26" wheel that has disc brakes to see how it fit in the fork to see if it was the hub, but it too was loose, but of course fit fine on the bike it was on, so that brought it back to the fork, the washer took up the slack, and now everything feels right on. I will take it out tomorrow morning on a short test run to see if all holds up.

mtbr member
    Hey OhNooo...re-send the PM you sent me. My inbox was full of too many stored messages and I hit the delete button accidently before I read yours. Sorry bout that.

EXORCIZE
    I had this problem, but by loosening the brake cable some, have found I can barely get by.

My bigger problem is that I need to adjust the brakes CONSTANTLY, front and back. If I hit something hard, or even transport the bike in the back of my car, something seems to move, causing a need for another adjustment. Its really maddeing. I tighten everything down TIGHT, so its not that. I don't know if its the brakes, flex of the (steel) fork/frame, or something with the wheel, so I'm not sure what to replace. Meanwhile I ride, adjust, ride, adjust, ride, adjust...

My previous v-brakes weren't great, but rarely needed adjusting. My Avid juicies never needing adjusting. These brakes are driving me mad. A BB7 spec would have at least made the brakes more livable.

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Until I had to remove a wheel everything was fine, in fact I posted when OhNooo first mentioned he was having difficulty in another thread to just give the brakes some time, and that I was having no trouble with the fork. But after the first time of transporting I too have been battling the brakes. The washer has helped. I am wondering if it is the fork and not the brakes.

ridin' Mary
    Downhilljill, I still cannot resend due to your overfull PM storage. The first letter of my email address is a "p" which is what was munged by the emoticon in my last PM to you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhNooo
    Downhilljill, I still cannot resend due to your overfull PM storage. The first letter of my email address is a "p" which is what was munged by the emoticon in my last PM to you.
    OK, I got the problem solved, so PM away.

I think I managed to dump someone's PM in the meantime...I don't remember the username but I think it started with a "g". If you sent me a PM recently and I haven't answered,please re-send.

mtbr member
    I've got the same issue on my Mary that I purchased less than a week ago. Its very annoying. Would be cool if Haro sent me a new fork or set of BB7's.

Members who have read this thread: 0