mary ss/geared difference?- Mtbr.com

Jul 2007

mary ss/geared difference?

Ive found the best value in bikes and parts is versatility. lets say that sweet XO rear der. its light functions great, been on three bikes.....then theres that 2x.x seatpost in the closet that you used for a week, and havent looked at since. anyways my next bike is going to be a 29er that will do s/s or geared set-up. Its okay if it takes some fuss to change adjust, im use to it. so here it is could a mary s/s become a x/c with the purchase of the hanger or vice versa or no? I am considering my options and right now it looks like ill go custom but id like to save some money if i could find a equally presentable option. I sneer a bit at Haros but after I see the way they handled themselves I have a new view, and humboldt green ? come on! no one will see me trailside at a "pit-stop"! I love it...

mtbr member
    Yes, you can convert a SS to a geared bike by ordering a der hanger and running full-length housing to the rear der. You'll have to use zip tires since there aren't cable stops on the SS, but it can be done.

And yes, you can run the XC as an SS by using an eccentric rear hub or a singlator.

mtbr member
    Question beeblerox...why do you sneer at Haro? I don't mean that in a confrontational way, but I'd really like to know why.

Jul 2007

no offense

not literally, it is just not a brand I see much I Iike by usually. they tend to be heavy, and relatively bling free. I dont know its just the impression of looking at the ones in the bike shop over the last couple years. I want a half tangerine half humboldt green mary. with cable routing,bottom of top tube would be fine, i dont plan on carrying it. no seriously the mary and your support here has opened my eyes i would buy the mary i described. too picky.

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Buy the Mary SS
    I did it, and have made it a 1 x3, for a great back country explorer bike. (3 cogs fit on the stock wheelset) And if I want to go back to one gear, would be ready to go in less than 10 minutes.

Apr 2007

bling

"Bling-free"... is one of the many reasons I love my Haro, and will buy another, and probably another...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback Beeble...and thanks for the props bhc and george.

Hey, if we all liked the same kind of bike, there'd be a lot of bike and bike parts manufacturers out of a job. Plus think of how boring our trails would be if everyone was on the same bike...there wouldn't be any "eye candy" to gawk at!

Whether you buy a Haro or not is irrelevant. Buy what you love. What's important to me is that people just buy someone's bike and ride it.

Jul 2007
    Its not that I have a problem with the bike ,never seen one in person, never ridden one, the Humbolt green caught my eye. I would test ride one if it was in the shop. but I am looking for versatility. I have enough bikes really, but I rode a 29er and being a taller guy liked it. I thought itd be a neat bike to experiment with, one with full gear capability, and s/s. v brake or disc. suspension fork or rigid.good for the old part bin too. it might be the nicest bike around but it just falls short of what im looking for .....versatility. I am almost certain I will have to get a custom frame, unless I buy a karate monkey, or used on one inbred. which I wont. I just was hoping to find something less expensive that would do all without a ebb, no dont ask me why I dont want a ebb. just seems a bit unneccesary and it also seems a log, or other object just might rip the bolts from the frame that holds it secure. I like simple. I also like getting what I want......

ridin' Mary
    Like beelblebrox, I also was really hesitant about even throwing a leg over a Haro. I'm an XC guy through and through. Haro has made a name for itself in the downhill and BMX arenas, but is very late to the game in XC. So when I thought of Haro my first instinct was *YUK*! This was just not a brand that I associated with myself.

I'm glad I got over the YUK factor and tried out the Mary SS at my LBS. I loved it and bought it that day. Mine is now a 1x14 with a Rohloff speedhub, as I just don't have the legs to ride the San Diego hills in a singlespeed.

Jul 2007
    I was im staioned near San francisco and oh noooo, im not sure anyone could ride those hills on a s/s one that was reasonably geared anyway. Haro is obviously concerned about customer satisfaction and the tangerine and green are both sweet. like you said I was a bit suprised to find a Haro that left me staring at it for a minute, I like the geometry numbers on paper at least, I am slowly requiring a heavily sloping top tube the more I ride one. I get on my x, or xc bike and I find myself thinking about road tires on my freeride bike. well almost. For the money and service and quality it sounds like you get id say the mary is a steal, I am thinking Ionic.....

mtbnj.com

Bling Free is all you need

I have owned my Mary ss for almost a year now, and I also own a geared 29er hardtail worth about 3 times as much, guess which one gets used more? The mary may be the best money I have ever spent, it is an incredible bike.
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by bhc
    Buy the Mary SS
    I did it, and have made it a 1 x3, for a great back country explorer bike. (3 cogs fit on the stock wheelset) And if I want to go back to one gear, would be ready to go in less than 10 minutes.
    could you please post more details of your 1x3 conversion? thanks

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dblspeed
    could you please post more details of your 1x3 conversion? thanks
    Haro sells a derailleur hanger that they use for the Mary XC, fits fine with the SS, and then you can add your derailleur. A friend had a used Dura Ace I am using, then found a cheap friction shifter at Jenson, ziptie the cable, and there you go. Pretty simple, pick whatever cogs you want to run, pull apart a 9 speed cassette, and of course purchase a new chain as you will need it longer.
    Also, you may have to make some adjustments to the derailleur, I put some longer limit screws in so it would stay in the short range. No problems with falling off the front chain ring either in apx 500 miles of use like this

awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by bhc
    Haro sells a derailleur hanger that they use for the Mary XC, fits fine with the SS, and then you can add your derailleur. A friend had a used Dura Ace I am using, then found a cheap friction shifter at Jenson, ziptie the cable, and there you go. Pretty simple, pick whatever cogs you want to run, pull apart a 9 speed cassette, and of course purchase a new chain as you will need it longer.
    Also, you may have to make some adjustments to the derailleur, I put some longer limit screws in so it would stay in the short range. No problems with falling off the front chain ring either in apx 500 miles of use like this
    thank you

EXORCIZE
    More on 1X3, including some pics: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=264906

I too am loving my Mary. Had two nice FS bikes and sold them almost immediately. When I haven't ridden for a few weeks, I start thinking I'll need to supplement the Mary with a FS rig. Then I ride the Mary again and such thoughts are forgotten.

Apr 2007
    Well, I finally just got my lucky little hands on a Mary XC this week to demo. Holy cow. It was my 2nd time ever on a 29er, 1st time on a Mary and I am pretty much in love (alas, if only it had hydraulic brakes). It's so freakin' nice; I don't want my rides to end. My Jamis Dakar feels like riding a kid's bike in comparison.

Can't wait 'til I can swing the cash to bring one of those green machines into the stable...

gm

Members who have read this thread: 0