to Mary owners- Mtbr.com

Thread: to Mary owners

Jul 2006

to Mary owners

hi everyone!

My christmas gift to myself would be a Haro mary. This is my question to you owners and to those who have experience with it.
    Basically, i'm stuck between the SS and the XC. I can't test ride one either because the distirbutors here don't stock them . It would take at least a month for a bike to get here if i requested it.

So i'll put it terms of expense to decide, my question would be..
    what would be cheaper to convert to geared/ss? (i may buy the SS but may eventually want gearing, i may buy the xc but may opt to have it SS in the future)

and since i'm new to the 29er world and there are only a handful in my country that belong to that group...

Would you take the rigid and probably buy a suspension fork in the future? or the the exact opposite?

Right now i'm more inclined to the SS because of it being SS (maybe i just want to get back to the roots of biking), the mary bars, and the nice ginger color. I plan to use it as a commuter, trainer, and for trails (basically an all around bike sans the jumps, DH, and freeride stuff). If the trails get tougher, i'd use my x6.

PS: i'm only a student (i use my own money for my hobbies FYI), thats why i'm asking all the penny saving questions.

mtbr member
    Whether you should go with the XC or SS boils down to personal preference. Have you ever ridden a singlespeed? It's a kick in the pants, but it's not for everyone. I'd say the majority of people I know that have tried it for the first time get hooked, but there are a few people who just don't get it and/or don't like it.

Rigid SS is a whole different ballgame. I ride rigid on my SS and love it. With the bigger wheels and higher volume tires, the ride is actually quite smooth. Yes, there are sections on the trail where you get beat to hell, but that's just part of deal. You know..."keeping it real". The fork is suspension corrected, so you can easily add a suspension fork later if you wanted to.

If you go with the SS, it's easily converted to a 1 x 9 by ordering a hanger for it. Since there aren't cable guides on the frame, you'd have to run full-length housing and zip-tie it to your frame. Not the most attractive option, but do-able.

You can convert the XC onto an SS, but it will require the use of an eccentric rear hub (can be pricey) or a singleator (cheap, but not exactly favored by singlespeed "purists").

If you opt to go with the SS and are dead-set on the Ginger color, have your shop check stock. There's not much left in that color. Once it's sold out, we won't be ordering more since the new color options are Humboldt Green and Carolina Blue.

Apr 2007
    Get your LBS to get the "demo in a box" from Haro - I was able to get my hands on a Mary XC for several days through my dealer, who normally just stocks the low-end stuff. I wanted to see how much I'd like riding a 29er... unfortunately I was hooked from the start; my "#1" bike, a FS Jamis, stayed on the hook until they had to pry the Mary from my hands! Now I have to try to afford a Mary...

Not sure if there is SS Mary floating around there to demo, but it's worth checking into.

Jul 2006
    thanks Jill! I'll take all those in to consideration. I think I'll be getting the xc and just slap on mary bars.
    If only i had the money, one Haro for every condition

@George
    i'm in the Philippines, i don't think they do demo-in a box here. I'll still ask tho. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miks
    thanks Jill! I'll take all those in to consideration. I think I'll be getting the xc and just slap on mary bars.
    If only i had the money, one Haro for every condition

@George
    i'm in the Philippines, i don't think they do demo-in a box here. I'll still ask tho. Thanks!
    Sweet! You'll really like that bike. The Mary bars rule and you can easily run gears on them.

And you are correct...no Demo in a Box in the Phillippines unless the distributor has set something similar up for himself that I'm not aware of.

Members who have read this thread: 0