A little loose in the rear end....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

New question here. A little loose in the rear end....

My 2004 X2 frame has some play in the rear. What is the most likeley culprit? The reducers, bushings, shock bolts or the shock mount holes ovalizing? I did bend a shock bolt while riding at Snowshoe resort last summer and replace those with some grade eight bolts I purchased a Lowes. Could these be too small and that's where my play is coming from? Where do I find the stock shock bolts?

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    The shock eyelet bushings the reducers slip into can wear out also.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    It could any of those things. I'm at home right now and don't have my tech sheets with me, but when I go back to the office, I'll give you hardware specs. My feeble brain doesn't have them all comitted to memory.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Sounds great Jill. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    OK, back at work. Here's your hardware specs:

Bolt sizes are M6.
    Frame mount bushing size is 22.1.
    Shock mount bushing size is 25.4.

There's a good chance that the bolts you bought are too short. That would be a good place to start. If you PM me your address, I will send you new bolts. Unfortunately, we don't have bushings here, but you can get them from your shock manufacturer. When you get the new bolts, make sure you torque them to 90-120 inch/lbs. If you don't torque them down enough, that could also be the source of your play.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Shock eyelet bushings (or wrong diameter bolts) will tend to give a knocking noise if you lift up and put down the bike, like the headset is loose, as the reducers wiggle back and forth against the worn/undersized bits.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill
    OK, back at work. Here's your hardware specs:

Bolt sizes are M6.
    Frame mount bushing size is 22.1.
    Shock mount bushing size is 25.4.

There's a good chance that the bolts you bought are too short. That would be a good place to start. If you PM me your address, I will send you new bolts. Unfortunately, we don't have bushings here, but you can get them from your shock manufacturer. When you get the new bolts, make sure you torque them to 90-120 inch/lbs. If you don't torque them down enough, that could also be the source of your play.
    Crap, and I just realized I gave the incorrect shock mount spacer size. It's 22.1mm, not 25.4mm. Sorry about that!

mtbr member
    I had a loose rear end on my X6. Swapped out all the guts of the main pivet point and it's as good as new. I first replaced the bearings which had a very minor effect. Then took it to a shop and bought the replacement kit and changed the parts out myself on the street but it still was loose. Took it back into the shop and they put the original spacers that came with the bike and replaced the new spacers that I had just installed from the kit and that fixed it. The spacers that originally came with the bike were thicker than the replacement ones. Hope that helps and sorry I couldn't be more specific, not exactly a mechanic.

Members who have read this thread: 0