Lighten Haro X7?- Mtbr.com

Apr 2007

Lighten Haro X7?

Does anyone around here have any experience with lightening a haro x7?

I've seen these (2006 models) for a good price, but at 42lbs, they're a bit heavier than I'd like. (I'm after a "heavy" all mountain/ "light" freeride bike - but I never seem to find those on sale.)

What would it cost to lighten one to 35lbs or so and still be suitable for light-moderate freeride?

Thanks in advanced for any input.

mtbr member
    They look sort of like this:

34 lbs. soaking wet

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Some stan's will save about 3 lbs. $60
    Lighter cranks. maybe 1lb. $150
    Rear air shock about 1lb. $250

That is about 37lbs. Mine is a SP180, (works 7) with Stan's, downhill tires and a Boxxer race I am at 41.5lbs. Not too bad. If I were to put My Talus (about -1 in front travel for stock) I would be around 37.5. With cranks and an air shock and lighter tires it would be around 34.5.

Apr 2007
    dingleberry:
    They look sort of like this:

34 lbs. soaking wet

Funny that you post the Coiler - as I would have bought one (an 06) months ago (if I lived anywhere near a place like wheelworld.)

atenciole:
    That is about 37lbs. Mine is a SP180, (works 7) with Stan's, downhill tires and a Boxxer race I am at 41.5lbs. Not too bad. If I were to put My Talus (about -1 in front travel for stock) I would be around 37.5. With cranks and an air shock and lighter tires it would be around 34.5.

I think the X7 I looked at came with a Marzocchi drop off II. Anyone know how much that fork weighs? (so I'd have an idea what I'd have to spend on a lighter fork.)

Thanks

Mar 2007
    I have a 2006 X6 and I am not exactly sure of the weight difference from the factory but I have made a few mods on mine that have it weigh just at 31 lbs. The upgrades I have made are:

Truvative Team Carbon bars
    ODI O grips
    Juicy 5's 160mm
    Blackspire Chainrings (34/22)
    I - Fly I - Beam seat post and seat
    Mavic Crossmax XL wheels
    Hutchison UST Python's (2.00)
    RS MC-3.1 Shock
    RS Lyrik Solo Air fork (this was no weight saver at all, it weighed in right at what the stock Duro D weighed at 5 lbs)

That was the setup when it was weighed in about a week ago. Now since, I have upgraded to a more "All Mountain" size rotor setup with a 203mm in the front and a 185mm in the rear. I am sure that added probably a 1/2 lb or so and I plan on changing tire sizes also ( I know the 2.00 are looked at as more of a XC tire, but thats what the Mavic's came mounted with since I bought them used.) Putting a 2.20 or a 2.35 set of tires on will add more weight also. Some may argue that the Mavic's are more of an XC setup but the XL's are very durable I have yet to even loosen a spoke. But all and all a decently durable AM set up for less that 35 lbs works well for me and where I ride. Normally weight guys wouldn't even bat an eye at a Haro knowing that they are not usually known for being featherweight, BUT they are known for being tough and so far I have been very happy with this setup so far. I will post some pics as soon as the sun comes out outside.

Dan

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Mine came with the Dropoff 1. I weighed it before the Stan's and it was 42lbs. I lost about 3-4 lbs with the Stan's (no downhill tubes) and gained 1-2lbs with the downhill tires. So my guess for the weight of the Dropoff is 4.5-5.5 lbs.

Members who have read this thread: 0