I picked up my "new" 2006 Sonix tonight- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I picked up my "new" 2006 Sonix tonight

I pulled the trigger and bought the 2006 Sonix tonight. The only thing I added was bar ends. Everything else is stock: Manitou Radium rear shock, Manitou Black fork, SRAM X7 rear, Deore Front, Alex? Rims. MY only ride so far has been around the parking lot and neighborhood but tomorrow if the weather holds I will get to really test it out at Coyote Ridge in Fort Collins. Here's the link to the trail review, http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...x.aspx#reviews

The trail has a mixture of rocky singletrack, smooth dirt singletgrack, 4WD roads and lots of technical drops and rocks and of course good climbs. I'll give some feedback tomorrow night if I have time.

Apr 2007
    Nice bike you got!! good luck on your test ride.

mtbr member

First Ride

Tonight I got my first real ride on the Sonix at Coyote Ridge in Fort Collins. The trail had everything to offer: rocks, drops, climbs, steps. My initial impression is that I made the right choice by going with the Haro. Granted, my last bike was a hard tail Stumpjumper Comp so it might not be a fair comparison. I did notice a few things though. When I'm climbing the front wheel seems to get a little squirrely as there appears to be no weight up front. The seat is back so I have to consciously lean forward sometimes or I could pop a wheelie. The bike has me sitting more upright which makes for a more comfortable ride and therefore I probably won't get fatigued as quick. The bike also felt like it was missing the lowest gear as I seemed to need one more for the really steep stuff. The brakes made a heck of a racket and I hope it is something that disappears over time. When I was climbing I consciously watched the rear shock and it seemed like there was no bob just as the VL120 advertises. The hefty weight of 31 pounds didn't seem to bother me on this ride either. Hopefully I can figure out how to attach a picture of the bike on the trail today.
    Last edited by Furrydogs; 05-13-2007 at 08:23 PM.

Que pasiones?
    Congratullations, don't concern too much about the weight it's a fun and comfortable bike to ride.

by the way nice pic, it's a shame that the dude on it spoiled up the landscape.
    sorry my english isnīt very good, do you speak spanish?

I'm a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by Furrydogs
    Tonight I got my first real ride on the Sonix at Coyote Ridge in Fort Collins. The trail had everything to offer: rocks, drops, climbs, steps. My initial impression is that I made the right choice by going with the Haro. Granted, my last bike was a hard tail Stumpjumper Comp so it might not be a fair comparison. I did notice a few things though. When I'm climbing the front wheel seems to get a little squirrely as there appears to be no weight up front. The seat is back so I have to consciously lean forward sometimes or I could pop a wheelie. The bike has me sitting more upright which makes for a more comfortable ride and therefore I probably won't get fatigued as quick. The bike also felt like it was missing the lowest gear as I seemed to need one more for the really steep stuff. The brakes made a heck of a racket and I hope it is something that disappears over time. When I was climbing I consciously watched the rear shock and it seemed like there was no bob just as the VL120 advertises. The hefty weight of 31 pounds didn't seem to bother me on this ride either. Hopefully I can figure out how to attach a picture of the bike on the trail today.
    Glad you like it! I love mine.

Here's some pointers: The reason your front wheel wants to come up is the same reason you feel more comfortable (your sitting up more). If you want, try taking some of the spacers from under the stem and putting them on top.

As far as the brake squeal, clean the discs and pads with some rubbing alcohol.

Finally, you mentioned you feel like you are missing a gear. You might be...what were you running on your Stumpy? You might feel this way, as well, because you are sitting up more. Leaning forward more, like on a road bike, is more of a power position and may make you feel like you have the lower gear.
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emptybeer
    Glad you like it! I love mine.

Here's some pointers: The reason your front wheel wants to come up is the same reason you feel more comfortable (your sitting up more). If you want, try taking some of the spacers from under the stem and putting them on top.

As far as the brake squeal, clean the discs and pads with some rubbing alcohol.

Finally, you mentioned you feel like you are missing a gear. You might be...what were you running on your Stumpy? You might feel this way, as well, because you are sitting up more. Leaning forward more, like on a road bike, is more of a power position and may make you feel like you have the lower gear.
    Thanks for the advice. I think the comfort of sitting upright is worth more than the better control of being stooped over. After a few more rides I'm sure I'll get the right balance for this bike. I'm not sure what my Stumpy had for a rear cassette or what the ratios were. I guess I'll have to make due with what I have. Looking forward to my next ride!

mtbr member
    Sweet!

On this bike, make sure you have your sag set correctly at 10mm. If you are running any more sag than that, that could be causing the rear end to "squat" down too much and pull the front end up. There should have been a tag on the bike that explains proper sag set-up...if you need help, let me know.

Enjoy the ride!

Members who have read this thread: 0