I have doubts, confuse and i dont know what to do..help please.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I have doubts, confuse and i dont know what to do..help please.

Hi,

As some people might notice from my previous topics, I recently bought the 07 X6. Honestly, I'm not happy. Tho I just started riding after 13years of resting,im not really impressed with the bike, it doesnt make me continue to pedal...

Why? First im having to much bob(ordered 650lbs spring already to replace my 550). Secondly, when ever I go downhill(not really fast tho), I felt the tail is sliding everywhere, wobbly/flex..is it because Im 220lbs+ with gears and the bike is a single pivot bike or maybe the shock?

And my questions are:
    1.How good is the frame?is it worth to keep the frame and upgrade the fork and shock?
    2. Should I just sell the bike and get better bike? 4-bar linkage system such Kona Dawg and others

Thank you in advance guys.....

NJ
    Last edited by Deto; 03-25-2007 at 05:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Ok, Deto. Time to start listening to the replies and being honest w/ yourself about what you want to use the bike for. Remember what DHJill told you...
    "It will really depend on what type of riding you plan to do. If you plan to do gravity, urban, and slopestyle type stuff, the 16" will more than likely be good for you. Our slopestyle guys, Cam Zink and Eric Porter, are both about your height and ride the 16" size. If you plan to use this bike for trail riding, I think the 16" will be too small for you."
    Incidentally, "urban" in this context means bmx style street riding. Not riding on pavement to get from one place to another.
    It sounds to me like you are looking for a trailbike. I never recommend the x6 as a trailbike unless it is a bmx grom looking for 26" wheels. Or, if someone has a hardtail or an xc full suspension and is looking for a freeride light bike, then I feel this bike will work at a very affordable price. One thing to keep in mind is that I would bet that most of the people answering your questions have a stable of bikes to choose from for the trail that they are going to ride that day. I know that I do. And if I had to get rid of all but one, I would keep my sonix. I definitely would not keep my freeride bike even tho it is much more efficient than the x6.
    Don't worry about the flex for now. The pivot is undersized, but I don't feel that this shouldn't really be affecting you. Maybe at your weight it is, but I guess that you are more disappointed in other aspects of the bike and picking up on what bike freaks are talking about in this forum.
    No one can tell you what to do. You have to decide. If you want a trailbike and don't want to buy a new bike, you still have options. Start w/ an air shock. something w/ a platform. Or go w/ an even heavier spring(less expensive but not as efficient). This would be the single most important thing that you could do. You could also put some 2.1 tires on it. Consider a longer stem and shorter rise bar to put yourself into an efficient pedaling position. I haven't seen the fork yet, we are still selling the '06 x6's, but it is air sprung from what I can gather from the marzocchi site. You should be able to set this up stiff enough to suit your needs. Do you have a shock pump? put 15lbs in the right leg and 65lbs (or more if you need it) in the left leg.
    It's your call. I think that you probably bought the wrong bike (style and size), but you can still make it work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    well the stock shock sucks so a platform style one will help with the bob. you need to get the sag set correctly so a new spring might be the answer for that. also the factory tires are so heavy, get some 2.1's and that will help alot.

mtbr member
    Deto,

I'm really sorry to hear you're confused and disappointed with your X6. What you are describing really puzzles me since that's not feedback we hear all too often about the X6. Cam and Porter ride stock X6 frames...there isn't anything custom about them. They are the same frame as what you ride and they ride them HARD. In fact, Cam Zink won Crankworx on his X6. So that should answer your question about how good the frame is. I can tell you that neither of these guys are complaining about flex in their frame.

Finding the correct spring rate can be daunting. Like b.ray said (and thanks for the help b.ray), you might try an airshock since it's really easy to dial in and doesn't require buying and swapping out a host of springs until you find the right one. Many airshocks have good pedaling platforms that will help counteract the "bobbing" effect. The disadvantages of airshocks is they are more expensive (typically) than coil shocks and they do require more maintenance; seals must be maintained as does proper air pressure (air shocks, like tires, lose pressure over time). Also, you do run the risk of blowing a seal on a ride and your shock essentially becomes worthless because it won't hold air. Mind you, air shocks have come a LONG way over the past several years. Blown seals aren't all that common as they used to be, but they do happen.

You can also keep searching for the correct spring rate for your coil shock. Coil shocks are easy to maintain and a good choice for people who don't want to hassle with maintenance. The drawbacks is they are heavy and like I said before, finding the magic rate is a bit of a process at times.

If I remember from previous posts, I don't know that you really talked much about your skill level and background with other types of bikes. If you have never ridden a full-suspension bike and/or one with as much travel as the X6 bike has, it's going to feel much different than a hardtail. It's going to feel much more active. From what you have described, it sounds like you need to fine-tune the rear shock adjustment, but keep this other factor in mind if you aren't used to riding this type of bike. You also mentioned that it feels like the back end is sliding around everywhere. There are lots of factors that could contribute to this...tire choice, tire inflation, braking technique, terrain, and improper bike fit. Sure, flex can contribute to this as well, but just know there are other factors. I'm sorry if it sounds like I am stating the obvious to you, but I don't know what level rider you are.

Whether or not you should sell the bike is entirely up to you. Every suspension system has it's good points and bad points. Every rider has different preferences...if we all liked the same thing and there was one "magic" suspension frame platform, there'd be a lot of manufacturers out of business.

If you have the means to upgrade your fork and rear shock, you will more than likely see a real difference with this bike provided you are using it for what it's intended to do. The X6 is an all-mountain bike, skewed towards the gravity end of the spectrum. This is not a XC bike designed to go on long trail rides. Sure, you can do some XC riding on it, but it's not going to be suited as well as a bike with less travel and less weight. The X6 is designed for freeride type riding...people who want a bike that's capable of being pedaled up hill to get to the top of the downhill.

As you have probably figured out, everybody has their own opinions on bike stuff so it can be confusing. All you can do is rely on the knowledge you have to draw your own conclusions. If there's anything I can do to help you increase your knowledge on this subject or answer any questions for you, let me know.

mtbr member
    Thank you B.ray,Merkyworks and Jill for your feedbacks. After considering, I'll keep the bike and will upgrade the parts slowly but surely. I just replaced the stock spring with a 650lbs spring and I'll take it a ride this weekend, I hope it will give a 'new life' to the bike. I'll have the correct/suitable tire pressure and fine tune the bike. Thanks Jill for your spirit, I now believe there are some hidden 'magic' in this bike.

I need to win a lottery! I want better fork and shox!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deto

I need to win a lottery! I want better fork and shox!
    Amen my brother. So many bikes and parts...so little fundage.

Members who have read this thread: 0