How about new forks- Mtbr.com

Mar 2007

How about new forks

I have been looking at new forks also, I guess I am overhauling my ride. Will a triple crown fit on my X1 or should I stick with a single? I am looking for a fork with alot of travel because I am a big guy and I am starting to take mid size drops and I see the progression will only get larger. Any suggestions.

Also what size should my steerer tube be?

Thanks,
    MP
    Last edited by The Mad Prophet; 03-27-2007 at 11:02 AM.

mtbr member
    You can run a dual crown fork on your X1 but it will void your warranty since the frame was originally designed for use with a single crown. I know people have done it, but we can't recommend it. Long travel forks have come a long way...there are lots of good single crown forks on the market that are as stiff as a dual crown fork.

As for steer tube length, that will vary based on the stack height of your headset, height of stem, and how many stackers you use to get the stem/bars in the position you like. If you like your current position and will be using the same stem, you can get a rough idea of how much steer tube you'll need based on your current setup.

Mar 2007
    Thanks for your input. Do you have a recommendation for a long travel single that is real stiff and can take a beating?

mtbr member
    Most all the Fox forks are known for their stiffness. I have a 140mm Talas RLC on my Xeon that I love. The Fox Float X is also nice. You might also check out the Marzocchi AM3.

Is this bike completely stock? Do you have 20mm thru-axles? Stock X1's have QR's. If you switch your front wheel to a 20mm thru axle, it will increase the stiffness and open up your fork possibilities. The RockShox Pike is really nice, but's it thru-axle only. The Marzocchi AM 1 and 2 are nice forks, but thru-axle only.

Mar 2007
    Yes it is stock for the most part and I am looking to upgrade. I don't understand how changing my wheel would stiffen the fork, could you please elaborate? I would love nothing more than to not have to spend money on an upgrade if it is not necessary.
    Would it be cheaper to try a new wheel or get a new fork, but by the sound of things alot of the forks are through axels?

Thanks for the info,
    MP

mtbr member
    A 20mm thru axle is larger in diameter than a QR axle, so there is less lateral "play" in the axle area.

If you get a new wheel with a 20mm thru axle, you will be forced to get a new fork. Your QR forks won't work. How you should upgrade is entirely up to you (and your wallet) and the type of riding you do. If you are doing light freeride and/or jumping, a thru-axle is much stiffer and better suited to that type of riding.

If you don't want to upgrade your wheel, check out the Fox forks (stick with 140-150 mm travel) or check out the Marzocchi AM 1.

Mar 2007
    Do you have any suggestions on what type of thru axel I should get? I can't tell the difference when I did research on purchasing a new hub. Please advise.

mtbr member
    Just about any 20mm hub will work with a fork that's designed for a 20mm thru-axle. Chris King does an exceptionally nice 20mm front hub, but it's also exceptionally expensive. Hadley, DT Swiss, and Hugi also do nice work, but again, somewhat pricy.

If I were you, I'd shop around a little bit and try to find a complete wheel with a 20mm hub with sealed bearings. Sure, your rims may not match, but to get your new hub laced to your current rim will be costly since not only will the wrench need to de-lace your current hub, but he'll have to build up the new wheel. Plus, you'll have a QR wheel on hand just in case you ever decide to switch back to that type of fork.

Shop *****
    If you're going to get big, and even bigger (10+ ft drops, large booters, DH racing, intense freeride) I would go for the Rockshox Totem, or the Marzocchi 66. I'm running a Dual Crown, voiding the warranty ;(, but I love it, on my x6, similar geometry I think...
    But yes, the HT angle doesn't slacken that much with my boxxer set at 180mm travel... it's probably around 68, 69 degrees.

Mar 2007
    Great, thanks for the info. I just purchased a Manitou Stance Flow even though I have seen mixed reviews on it. It was a deal I couldn't pass up. Now I need to get a new hub, but I went to my lbs and they told me they didn't want to replace my wheels hub because it was used and I was buying a new hub. They told me I should go all new, any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Prophet
    Great, thanks for the info. I just purchased a Manitou Stance Flow even though I have seen mixed reviews on it. It was a deal I couldn't pass up. Now I need to get a new hub, but I went to my lbs and they told me they didn't want to replace my wheels hub because it was used and I was buying a new hub. They told me I should go all new, any thoughts?

You didn't say whether your Stance Flows are QR or 20mm. If they are QR and you are running a QR now, then there's no reason why you need a new front wheel or hub. If they are 20mm and you currently have a QR hub, refer back to my previous recommendation...you will need a new hub and it will more than likely be cheaper for you to buy a whole new wheel.

Members who have read this thread: 0