Help identifying X7 part- Mtbr.com

Mar 2007

Help identifying X7 part

The bolt I have pointed out in the picture.... I was checking everything out...tightening everything down before my trip and I snapped the head off that bolt. I have an easy out set so I can remove the rest of the screw but I have no idea of the thread or size of the allen screw that was in there. Any help? Also how safe is it to ride it like this? I guess I should have asked before shredding Snowshoe for 2 days...but it held up.

Thanks for the help

Shop *****
    I told you newbie... It's a swingarm bolt. Most likely 6mm..
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

Mar 2007
    newbie...??? nice. See ya at the Boneyard if you find your balls this summer in California.....

I'm not looking for a most likely answer...Most Likely a lit match thrown into a 50 gallon drum of diesel fuel would just go out because the flash point for diesel isn't that high...But are you going to try it to find out???? Looking for an answer from someone who knows specifics...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Camronz
    newbie...??? nice. See ya at the Boneyard if you find your balls this summer in California.....

I'm not looking for a most likely answer...Most Likely a lit match thrown into a 50 gallon drum of diesel fuel would just go out because the flash point for diesel isn't that high...But are you going to try it to find out???? Looking for an answer from someone who knows specifics...
    "Most Likely" you should have checked the torque specs before hamfisting a pretty small little bolt. BTW, you don't need to work on it on the frame. With one bolt head removed, you can press the entire shaft out of the frame, then work on it in a vise, or use a drillpress/mill/whatever. Hopefully, there is some thread left sticking out of the shaft and you can grab it with some visegrips etc. Additionally, if you can't get the old bolt out, you can always replace the shaft. A good reason this design is much better than bolting the swingarm directly to threaded bosses in the frame. Just be carefull when working with the pivot shaft, not to put any gouges or other surface deviations in it with a vice etc because of the tight fit with the frame.

And for what ist's worth, Diesel isn't readily combustible because it's flashpoint IS high. I don't know the specific bolt size off the top of my head, but you can always take the other bolt out, and measure it

Chris

Mar 2007
    Thanks Cris. I wasn't over powering the screw by any means. It was turning easily and just snap about 1/2 a turn in. I didn't know I could press the shaft out and will definitely take that route. The Easy Out set will work as well if there are no threads. You got the point with the diesel...I'm just messing with Drakan...err BrettMan...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    No worries.

The reason I hope that you are able to find some exposed thread is because the bolt is small, and without a good drill press that doesn't deflect and has no runout, it will be very hard to drill a pilot hole on center for the extractor to work in. Anyhow, good luck with it.

Chris

Mar 2007
    I've got a drill press, a good easy out set....but I'm going to take it into my BS to have them check it out first. Now its time to find something to rake it out a little bit while sticking with the single crown. DropOff II is too much for me...I want 7 in the front to match the back. I couldn't have landed any harder this last weekend on the front in a nasty miscalculation...and I came no where near bottoming it out. I took it down to 1lb of pressure in both sides...I think its just too beefy for 130 lbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Drop Offs, or any SSV dampened Zoke forks for that matter, feel like poo. If you want to rake the bike out, 05 66RCs would be a good bet. They have a taller AC height than other years of 7" 66s and are waaaaaay more plush than the Drop Offs.

If you're on a budget and don't mind keeping about the same amount of heft, a Domain 318 coil (without Uturn) would be a great way to go. The Motion Control dampening is far superior to the SSV stuff you have right now, and the fork is plenty strong.

At about the same price point, Jenson USA has 07 66RC2x on blowout for $529. That is a crazy good price, but probably wont last long. I had an 06 66RC2X, and so far it is the nicest fork I've ever ridden in terms of blending strength, tuneabilty, and plushness with good bottom out resistance. I have an 07 36RC2 sitting on the bench waiting for my frame to get re-PC'd but I haven't put any miles on it, so I can't give you any input there. I only went with the Fox this time around because I was curious about the 36, had to sell my 66 with my old bike, and at the time, I could get the 36 cheaper than the 66.

Anyhow, there are lots of good options in the $500-550 range for what you're looking for.

Chris

May 2007
    Hey dude. The SAME THING just happened to me on my x7. I called Haro and had them warranty me the bolts, the bearings, and the shaft. I would suggest you do the same. They two dayed it to me and were real cool about it.

Shop *****
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Broke
    If you're on a budget and don't mind keeping about the same amount of heft, a Domain 318 coil (without Uturn) would be a great way to go. The Motion Control dampening is far superior to the SSV stuff you have right now, and the fork is plenty strong.

At about the same price point, Jenson USA has 07 66RC2x on blowout for $529. That is a crazy good price, but probably wont last long. I had an 06 66RC2X, and so far it is the nicest fork I've ever ridden in terms of blending strength, tuneabilty, and plushness with good bottom out resistance.
    Either of those options is what I would go for.
    The 318 is mega nice, and the 66's are proven reliablility.
    Just don't get something with 2-step..
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

Aug 2007
    Also, if you're more into a budget, try out a Manitou Travis single 180..The TPC one, not the Intrinsic. I run one on my X7 and I like it a little better than my buddies Totem Coil on his Werx 7... I guess it all boils down to opinions. They have em on ebay for pretty cheap.

Aug 2007
    Also, if you're more into a budget, try out a Manitou Travis single 180..The TPC one, not the Intrinsic. I run one on my X7 and I like it a little better than my buddies Totem Coil on his Werx 7... I guess it all boils down to opinions. They have em on ebay for pretty cheap.

Aug 2007

Aug 2007

Aug 2007

Members who have read this thread: 0