Haro Xtreme Atlas vs Trek and others- Mtbr.com

May 2007

Haro Xtreme Atlas vs Trek and others

I bought my X6 based on a great close out deal and it's SRAM SX7 components...great deal, great bike! I had been looking at Treks Fuel EX5 prior to purchasing the Haro. They both have a single pivot design, with the Trek comming with an air shock. My question is, do the exspensive bike makers that use single pivot designs utilize the ATLAS system as well or is HARO the only manufacturer able to borrow this technology from Ellsworth? Also, is the Atlas design superior to any other single pivot design out there?

mtbr member
    The Trek EX5 isn't a single-pivot bike; it actually uses a walking beam (or sometimes called rocker arm) suspension platform.

There are many manufacturers that use single-pivot platforms like Haro, Ellsworth, Cannondale, and Santa Cruz, just to name a few. It's one of the oldest types of full-suspension platforms, so it's tried and true. Single pivot bikes are simple to maintain and easy to setup, plus they are all-around good performers. Recent improvements in rear shock technology have breathed new life into this seemingly "old school" platform.

The Atlas system simply has a rigid beam that extends from the main pivot area up to where the shock mounts, which increases lateral stiffness. Nishiki was actually the creator of this system back in the 90's, so you can say that manufacturers like Ellsworth, Haro, and Santa Cruz are "borrowing" that technology from them.

Members who have read this thread: 0