Haro X6, used liked a DJ Bike- Mtbr.com

Apr 2007

Haro X6, used liked a DJ Bike

My friend used my X6 like a BMX/DJ Bike this evening, is it just ok for the bike? Then an officemate weighing like 200 or 220 lbs sat on my bike, is it just ok for my bike and suspension?

My bike is the Haro X6 not X6LT, it is the 2007.

I'm a dog person
    No. MTBs are not designed to be used as BMX bikes. BMX bikes are designed to endure lateral forces that MTBs are not.

Your big friend sitting on it shouldn't hurt it.
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by emptybeer
    No. MTBs are not designed to be used as BMX bikes. BMX bikes are designed to endure lateral forces that MTBs are not.

Your big friend sitting on it shouldn't hurt it.
    What do you mean lateral forces?

He did some wheelie on it, and make the bike stand on its fork, marz drop off z1, did it do some damage?

I am just a paranoid newbie.

mtbr member
    If he did just a few wheelies and stoppies (nose/front tire wheelie), there's no harm. There's also no harm in your big friend sitting on it.

The X6 is pretty burly; our freeride/slopestyle riders both compete on stock X6 frames. Much of what they do is very similar to BMX and involves some pretty big dirt jumps. Neither of those guys have had their X6 crack or fail on them.

One thing to keep in mind...I have to say it since I do represent Haro...is that us, like most all frame manufacturers, exclude damage that occurs as a result of "stunting and jumping" under our warranty since it does place an lot of stress on the bike that doesn't occur under "normal" conditions. We do offer a really nice crash replacement program for instances like this that aren't covered under warranty (obviously some restrictions do apply).

I'm a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by glenjoyrosana
    What do you mean lateral forces?

He did some wheelie on it, and make the bike stand on its fork, marz drop off z1, did it do some damage?

I am just a paranoid newbie.
    I agree w/ Jill (as if I'm some type of authority on the issue...), I'm sure it's just fine. Any mountain bike worth its salt can easily tolerate what you described. Forces during "normal" riding are going to be greater than that.

Lateral forces are those applied perpendicularly to the frame.
    Last edited by emptybeer; 04-20-2007 at 03:43 PM.
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

Members who have read this thread: 0