Haro (Mary) slide plate?? (x-post from singlespeed)- Mtbr.com
    Alles komt goed!

Haro (Mary) slide plate?? (x-post from singlespeed)

A few weeks ago I received my Haro Mary (one of the first in The Netherlands). My LBS and I founded a plate in the box and we both couldn’t find out what the function of this plate is…
    The plate is as wide as the EBB, the wholes in the plate have the same distance as the locking bolts of the EBB and the curving of the plate looks like the outer diameter of the EBB.

Klickable picture!

Is this plate to skid over 26rs? Is it specific for the dikes in The Netherlands?) And how to mount it on this? And do I have to mount it?

Klickable picture!

Do I have to get longer locking bolts with a few nuts?
    Last edited by gijsberg; 04-28-2007 at 07:34 AM. Reason: renamed the title
    ---------------------------
    Gijs, from the mountain

mtbr member
    Wow, this is very interesting...the first I've seen. Was this a complete bike or a frameset?

My guess is this is some sort of an insert they use in the factory to keep paint out of the BB shell. Sometimes we find little inserts used to keep paint out of critical areas in the boxes.

Alles komt goed!
    I bought my Mary as a complete bike. It looks like the plate can be used at the outside of the EBB, since the diameter looks like the outside diameter of the EBB frame. I have made some aditional photo's. Thet are in my pinbike album

It looks like the hole's of the bolts aren't spaced to fit (a few mm diferents)

Could it be that this plate is for a complete different bike? The manual I received with the bike is just a standard manual (without info about the EBB )
    Gijs, from the mountain

mtbr member
    More than likely some sort of fixture to prevent paint from being sprayed into the BB shell. Just throw it away.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Uh....

No offense, and I probably think you are right, but if you don't know for sure what it is why would you tell him to throw it away. It can't hurt to throw it in a drawer somewhere till Haro or someone tells him for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeveless
    No offense, and I probably think you are right, but if you don't know for sure what it is why would you tell him to throw it away. It can't hurt to throw it in a drawer somewhere till Haro or someone tells him for sure.
    Well, since I do work for Haro and I did indeed check with two of my product managers and they both suspected the same thing (that it's a guard used in the paint process), I'm confident that's he's safe without it.

Alles komt goed!
    Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill
    More than likely some sort of fixture to prevent paint from being sprayed into the BB shell. Just throw it away.
    Isn't it strange that the color of this plate is black and the frames color is ginger? Maybe one of the primers is black, but the paint on the plate looks like it’s a “finish” color (just as smooth as the fork). Since most of the bikes of Haro are full suspension ones, isn't it possible that this plate is to prevent mud coming in to the pivot point of a rear suspension?

I also have an other question about the manual; is there a manual special for the Mary SS (I like to know how to service the EBB). If there is a specific manual, could you send me a *.pdf?
    Gijs, from the mountain

mtbr member
    We don't make any sort of plate that for for our full-sus bikes. It doesn't surprise me that it's black; if it's some sort of paint fixture, it might be an unused fixture that somehow worked its way into the box. It's all built and packed by hand, so it's entirely possible that an unused fixture was included for some strange reason. Wouldn't be the first time its happened.

There isn't a specific manual for the Mary; it's the same manual we use for all of our bikes. There's not much involved in servicing the EBB. Just keep the BB shell clean and greased just like you would for a regular BB shell. Check your fixing bolts on the underside of the BB shell from time to time to make sure they are tight. Adjusting chain tension is pretty easy...loosen the fixing bolts and insert the end of an allen key or small screwdriver into one of the holes in the EBB through one of the windows in the outer chainguard...Pedal forward or backward to desired chain tension...tighten fixing bolts and ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0