Haro Escape size question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Haro Escape size question

Hi people,

I started looking for a bike that can handle rough terrain but in the cheap lane. I found the Escape Comp to be what I'm looking for. I see in the website that there are 4 sizes, since the 18" size is before the biggest, I think maybe this is something like L size, but I'm not sure so I'm asking.

In my country I can't go to a store and try the size that best fit me I'm afraid, I would place an order with the store and wait to have it, but I don't want to pick the wrong size, I'm between a 16" and an 18". Anyone familiar with Haro bikes know what would fit me best? I think in brands like Trek and Gary Fisher, a bike 17.5" (M size) fits me nice. I'm 5'7" with an inseam of 30.5"

Thanks
    Last edited by Gauss; 08-01-2007 at 12:31 PM.

mtbr member
    It will depend on what you plan to do with the bike. If you plan to use it more for XC-type riding, you would likely ride the 18" size. If you plan to use the bike for more aggressive applications, you would typically go down a size to a 16".

You might take a bike you currently own or a friend's bike you find comfortable and compare the measurements and geometry from that bike to the Escape Comp.

mtbr member
    I ride a 20 and I'm 6'-6'1" depending on the shoes I have on. I almost bougth a 18 but it was just a wee bit small. Stand over is pretty much a non-issue with the top tube angled like it is. I dont think you will regret getting the Escape Comp I love mine. Ive already had it off a 3 foot drop and it was awsome. BTW I come in at a about 220lbs so my bikes have to be beefy.

Some picks of mine...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=137

mtbr member
    Thank you both, I think then an 18" for me

BTW, anyone know what size of stem has the Escape Comp? Kidcurry, In your 20" bike it looks like your stem is a little big, maybe that is great, if I try the 18" and it's a little big to my taste I would swap it for a smaller one.

mtbr member
    I dont know how long it is, I can check tonight. If she reads this Jill might know. I have thought about swapping mine for something a little shorter. I like the 7 degree rise it has but it is somewhat long and when I get out behind my seat I feel a little too streached out. One thing Ive noticed about my comp is it is very adjustable and the seat/ibeam post is awsome as far as adjustability goes. .

mtbr member
    90mm is stock length.

Apr 2007
    i bought a 16 and i love it. no drops yet, but i still ahvent got to ride it much. the 18 would have been nice considering i do some xc, but ive learned to deal with it, and i become more comfortable on the bike the more i ride it. i say go for the 18. good luck!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XCKing820
    i bought a 16 and i love it. no drops yet, but i still ahvent got to ride it much. the 18 would have been nice considering i do some xc, but ive learned to deal with it, and i become more comfortable on the bike the more i ride it. i say go for the 18. good luck!!!
    How tall are you? Inseam?

Apr 2007
    im kind of a noob as far as some of the technical terms go, and i dont really know what inseam is . my height , though, is 6'0" my buddy whos about 6'2" also has a medium because he wanted to do some freeride and downhill with it. he loves it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I am exactly the same height and same inseam as you. I have the 18 as advised by downhilljill. I use it for XC. It's great and fits well.

Apr 2007
    sweet!!! welcome to the club. post some pics of your bike on the "post your haros" thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    It's there:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=1831570&page=6

Mine's the black one. All's still the same except for changig out the tires with folding 2.0's. Dropped the weight by almost a couple of pounds.

Apr 2007

Oh yeah!

Oh, thats your bike . those are probably the best looking pics on that thread(ive been through all of them). good chocie. i wish i could have afforded the sport, but ill probably just upgrade parts as i need them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks. It's a sweet all-around bike for the price. I enjoy it!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    wats the max fork size it can take?

Apr 2007
    it can take anything, but downhilljill says it works best with a 120mm. the comp has a fork that adjsuts to 130 though.

mtbr member
    Yes it does adjust to 130 on the comp but it climbs way better with it set to it lowest setting (80 or 100 I dont remember) Then adjust it back up and bomb on down!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    alright well then i have a decision between 3 bikes now.

Apr 2007
    What three bikes? i assume the haro escape.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Haro Escape, Rocky Moutain Flow1, and the Iron Horse Yakuza Bakuto.

Apr 2007
    id go w the bakuto or the escape. both are great bikes. i went with the escape beacuse i didnt want to order( i assume your going for the bakuto on the rscycle sale). the flow looks lik it has a cheaper drivetrain, and suntour forks arent very reputable.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    yeah, but i've never really heard of haro mountain bikes til this year, and rocky mountain is more rputable for me. i dont know which one yur looking at, but the Flow 1 in canada has dirt jumper 4's.

Apr 2007
    canada does tend to build their bikes slightly differently sometimes.

Members who have read this thread: 0