front derailleur for a VL120- Mtbr.com
    I'm a dog person

front derailleur for a VL120

Jill,

Is there enough room on the VL120 frames to use a bottom swing front derailleur? Also, I lost my calipers, what clamp size do I need?

Thanks,
    EB
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

Busted!!!
    A friend wants me to build up his new Sonix lt frame. I had the same question. Can I use a Bottom Swing Derailleur? and can I use an Isis bottom bracker, or does the VL pivot require an external type?

Edit: what is the seatpost size as well.
    Last edited by mxracer33x; 05-22-2007 at 02:48 PM.

I'm a dog person
    I talked to Haro directly. It is a 31.8, top swing, top pull. It can't be a bottom swing as the seat tube isn't long enough.

I'm using an ISIS bottom bracket with no problems.

I'll have to check on the seat post for you.
    Last edited by emptybeer; 05-23-2007 at 10:53 PM.
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxracer33x
    A friend wants me to build up his new Sonix lt frame. I had the same question. Can I use a Bottom Swing Derailleur? and can I use an Isis bottom bracker, or does the VL pivot require an external type?

Edit: what is the seatpost size as well.
    30.9 on the post size.
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

May 2007
    weird on all the pics of the haro sonix , the front derailleur is always a low clamp bottom pull ? or so it seems sinc ei just checked.
    I received roday a high clamp for the bike i'm building and it wouldn't fit .

Busted!!!
    I put 2 front derailleurs on 2 Sonix LTs this weekend, and the front derailleur must be a Top Swing type derailleur. We used an XTR and a Deore.

If you go to your local bike store, ask for a Top Swing, Top pull capable derailleur that can clamp on a 31.8mm tube. All the newer shimano stuff should be dual-pull (top or bottom), and have the uni-clamp, but ask to be sure. I personally prefer setting up XT or better shimano stuff. the Deore was a bit flexy, and the low grade SRAM one was impossible to get setup properly. I have not tried an X7 or X9 Sram front derailleur. I love the rears, but choose to use shimano fronts.

I'm a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by steppin
    weird on all the pics of the haro sonix , the front derailleur is always a low clamp bottom pull ? or so it seems sinc ei just checked.
    I received roday a high clamp for the bike i'm building and it wouldn't fit .
    Hmm...the frame takes a top pull...no other way around it. If you found a picture of one w/ a bottom pull, I'd like to see it.

As far as top/bottom swing. Top swing = low clamp, bottom swing = high clamp. As per the thread prior to this, the frame takes a top swing (low clamp), top pull.

May 2007
    ok i think i got confused with the clamp/swing . i think i'll get a x9 front since i have all x9 setup , i planned to try a 100% sram group. Luckily they introduced a x9 low clamp for the first time on their 2007 range.

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by steppin
    ok i think i got confused with the clamp/swing . i think i'll get a x9 front since i have all x9 setup , i planned to try a 100% sram group. Luckily they introduced a x9 low clamp for the first time on their 2007 range.

Thanks for the explanation.
    What?! You mean to tell me that the top/bottom/dual pull, top/bottom swing issue confused you?! That's crazy talk!

Who started this stupid thread, anyway?

Members who have read this thread: 0