Fork Spring???- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fork Spring???

mtbr member

Fork Spring???

Does any one know if Haro ships their bikes with diffrent fork springs? ie: If you purchase a 16 inch frame it stands to reason you are a "smaller" person and the fork springs in any given fork should be fine. Now if you purchase a 20 inch frame, once again it stands to reason you are a "larger" person and a heaver spring would be needed.

Am I making sence? So do they spec diffrent spring weights for diffrent size bikes or are they all the same. Any idea?
    Last edited by kidcurry73; 08-21-2007 at 02:59 PM.

Apr 2007
    that is a good question. i assume your talking about your escape. i know the tora fork on the comp is different from the marzocchi fork on the sport and base models, but does anyone have any idea how to setup the fork so its not quite so squishy. so far, the only thing ive found i can do is turn the lockout halfway on, but im not sure if its good for the fork/ the lockout to do that. any suggestions/ help would be nice. also, is there any rebound on the fork, and how should the compression be set?

mtbr member
    Don't know what model you are talking about but on our full-suspension bikes with coil shocks, we use different spring rates on different sizes. Smaller sizes get lighter spring rates. On forks, we don't change out the spring rate.

Apr 2007
    The escape
    im asking about the base model, and kidcurry probably about the escape comp.

mtbr member
    Forks do not get spring rate changes; most all forks with spring internals come with medium-rate springs.

mtbr member
    Thats the info I needed. Thanks! Yes its for my Escape. I am right around 200lbs so I'll have my LBS order the heavy spring for it and I should be good to go. Its not that bad now but I do bottom out the shock even on small bumps and what not.

Apr 2007
    jill, could you give me some info on settings for my fork on my escape(the marzocchi mz race). IE: what should compression be set to. i weigh 135 lbs. is there any adjustment as far as reducing the squishiness? is it ok to set the lockout halfway to reduce the amount of squshiness? i havent done it yet because i thought it might mess up the lockout. Finally, is squshiness a word?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XCKing820
    jill, could you give me some info on settings for my fork on my escape(the marzocchi mz race). IE: what should compression be set to. i weigh 135 lbs. is there any adjustment as far as reducing the squishiness? is it ok to set the lockout halfway to reduce the amount of squshiness? i havent done it yet because i thought it might mess up the lockout. Finally, is squshiness a word?
    You might want to download the MZ Race manual from the Marzocchi website...it's got some good info in it:

http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/li...rksOE&offset=2

Anyhow, the MZ Race has adjustable spring preload and lock-out. The lock-out is either on or off, so moving it to the middle position isn't going to do much for you. Regarding the squishiness, you might try increasing your preload. In the Marzocchi manual, they do a pretty good job of explaining how to set your sag properly. If you set up your sag according to their instructions and the fork still feels squishy, you may need to order a heavier spring kit though your local shop.

I hope that helps!

Apr 2007
    thanx

Members who have read this thread: 0