fork replacement- Mtbr.com
    H.E.R
    Mar 2007

fork replacement

Ok here is the question I want to change out the fork on my shift r5. Right now it is the manitou splice. I'm not quite sure what to look at, meaning measurements and travel length wise. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated. I also plan to do many more upgrades to it. Would it be worth it?

mtbr member
    The Shift R5 is designed around a 120mm fork, so keep it in that range for optimum performance. It's a 1 1/8" steer tube, so those are really about the only measurements you need.

The Shift frames are definitely worthy of upgrading; single pivot frames are simple, easy to maintain, easy to set up, plus they ride nice. Compare the geometry to the Santa Cruz Superlight and you'll find the angles are very similar but the Shift has 1/2" more travel.

H.E.R
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the advice. 1 more question though, you said around 120mm right, on the fork that is on there right now it reads 130mm. Would that make a difference?

mtbr member
    If it's a 2007 R5, it's adjustable up to 130mm. You can use a 130mm fork, it's just going to rake out your front end a bit and raise your ride height and BB height.

H.E.R
    Mar 2007
    Thanks alot for the help I guess I'll just get something that is adjustable up to 130mm. Now Ive got to figure out what to get

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I went with a manitou minute 3 and i love it! Im 230lbs and 6ft and i haven't had any problems with beating the crap out of it. Good luck with your search.

mtbr member
    Hi all,

I have a Marzocchi All Mountain SL1 2007 in my Haro Shift. The travel is 120-160 mm and the bike is perfect for me now. I use to use it for all mountain and Marathon, and no problems until now. The geometry is now much more aggresive, and I love it.

Greetings.

Antonio.

Members who have read this thread: 0