Flightline 2- Mtbr.com

Thread: Flightline 2

Aug 2007

Flightline 2

Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing a Flightline 2 as I am new to MTBs and am looking for a reliable entry level bike with disc brakes. Does anyone know the specs to the flightline 2?

The Haro website has not updated to show the new bikes and it has the V2 listed with only front disc brakes and linear for the rear. Is the Frontline 2 the same?

Does anyone know the differences between the Frontline 2 and the V2 apart from color and name?

Thanks

Aug 2007

Flightline 2

Oops, hehe

I got a little mixed up, Where I say Frontline I actually mean Flightline.

In case you didn't already know.

mtbr member
    There is little difference between the new Flightlines and the old V-Series bikes other than the name, graphics, and paint. The Flightline Two has the most changes because we ditched the front disk brake and went back to v-brakes and an 8-speed drive train. MSRP on the Flightline Two is $360

If you want disc brakes, jump up to the Flightline Sport. It retails for $435. For about $50 more at retail, you get nice upgrades like a Suntour XCM fork with lock-out, Tektro mechanical disc brakes, Shimano Alivio rear der, and a double-butted downtube frame.

Here are some sell sheets with spec info on them. These are just jpgs; if they are hard to read, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send them directly to you.

used to be uno-speedo....
    Was it named after the trail Flightline?

Apr 2007
    id go for the sport. it looks way better, and is specd way nicer for the price.

mtbr member
    YES...

From Jills blog that she dosent update all that often :

As a Brand Manager, this V-Series re-design has been pretty darn fun. We started with a brand new name. Since the V-Series name was somewhat dated and lacked personality, we set out on a journey to find a new name. Mind you, the whole bike model name picking process isn't exactly a picnic. It's a long and involved process of research, discussion, thought, voting, and sometimes even bickering. And in the end, there's usually not a clear-cut winner that everyone agrees upon. In the case of this project, we got fairly lucky that a name stood out among the crowd. We decided on the name "Flightline"; which was named after our local network of trails which shared the same name about a mile from the office where many of us rode on a daily basis. Unfortunately, the owners of this precious piece of land felt that we needed a few more business parks and industrial buildings in the area, so our beloved trail network is now being bulldozed in preparation for development. We felt the name "Flightline" would be a fitting tribute and would serve to tell a story.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kidcurry73
    YES...

From Jills blog that she dosent update all that often :
    yeah, yeah, yeah...I know. I've just been to damn busy lately. I've actually got some ideas rattling around in my pea brain that I might post tonight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    my 2 cents as someone who rides and talks about these bikes every day at work-

Tektro mech discs are bad, umm-kay. they have no more stopping power than linear pulls (unless maybe you are bombing your $300 dollar mountain bike down A-line and your linear pulls are fading, or are riding in the rain/snow), are heavier, and will rub unless you constantly adjust them (as all discs do). Caveat- I've never ridden them after they have been burnished.

Why does haro spec them? because they have to. discs are an industry trend, as are terrible suspension forks on inexpensive bikes. walmart offers full suspension bikes with discs for $2 or something like that. It is easy for me to say that haro should get real and spec a suspension corrected steel fork on the flightline 1 and 2 (and therefore put a better drivetrain on, or, even better, butt some tubing- offering the entry level consumer an upgrade worthy frame), but they would lose market share.

oh. I am ranting again.

Bottom line trbo: as an entry level consumer, discs for the sake of discs are not always the best answer. but the fork on the sport is a big jump up in quality. Look at the diameter of stanchions on both next time you are in the shop.

Aug 2007
    Thanks for the input guys. It's put a few things into perspective.
    It's not just about disk brakes. I just figure, if i'm going to spend the money then why not have disc brakes. I'll definitely consider the Flightline sport. I can get that for about $440 Australian. However, the Flightline Comp I can get for $500. Hmmm...
    Just have to convince the missus that going from $350 to $500 is cheaper in the long run. lol
    The bike won't be used for any hard riding, just some light off road and if I get fit enough maybe a commute to work. But I'd need new tires for that.
    I guess what I'm really after is a solid reliable bike with good quality parts that can handle a bit of off road, but nothing crazy like down hill runs or drop offs, just light trails and maybe the occasional commute to work.
    I have no doubt that the Flightline comp will be more than enough for what I'm after, but if anyone can recommend another decent bike for around five hundred please feel free.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill
    There is little difference between the new Flightlines and the old V-Series bikes other than the name, graphics, and paint. The Flightline Two has the most changes because we ditched the front disk brake and went back to v-brakes and an 8-speed drive train. MSRP on the Flightline Two is $360

If you want disc brakes, jump up to the Flightline Sport. It retails for $435. For about $50 more at retail, you get nice upgrades like a Suntour XCM fork with lock-out, Tektro mechanical disc brakes, Shimano Alivio rear der, and a double-butted downtube frame.

Here are some sell sheets with spec info on them. These are just jpgs; if they are hard to read, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send them directly to you.

Jill could you please post the rest of the new Flightline series as the Haro web site does not have it and I am thinking of getting one of them for my son for DJ / XC and I hear Flightlines are replacing the Escapes and Threads as well as the V's. Thanks

mtbr member
    IIRC: Flightlines are not replacing the Threads or the Escapes.

If you want a DJ/XC bike look at the thread 8, it wont be great for XC but for DJ it will rock. Also the escape in a 16 or so might be worth looking at. Even the lowest end Escape might be better then the flightline for DJ but the Flightline will be the best for XC. Most kids will ride what they have and are not overly concerned if their bike is classified as "xc" and "dj" but will do with it what they like, so get the strongest bike you can. IMHO

Here is what has been posted about the new Threads:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=319660

Nothing yet about the new Escapes but we hae been told they are coming back for 2008 in much the same trim as this year but with updated paint/graphix.

Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trbo32
    Thanks for the input guys. It's put a few things into perspective.
    It's not just about disk brakes. I just figure, if i'm going to spend the money then why not have disc brakes. I'll definitely consider the Flightline sport. I can get that for about $440 Australian. However, the Flightline Comp I can get for $500. Hmmm...
    Just have to convince the missus that going from $350 to $500 is cheaper in the long run. lol
    The bike won't be used for any hard riding, just some light off road and if I get fit enough maybe a commute to work. But I'd need new tires for that.
    I guess what I'm really after is a solid reliable bike with good quality parts that can handle a bit of off road, but nothing crazy like down hill runs or drop offs, just light trails and maybe the occasional commute to work.
    I have no doubt that the Flightline comp will be more than enough for what I'm after, but if anyone can recommend another decent bike for around five hundred please feel free.
    The earlier comment about the Tektro brakes is true. They are awful, horrible brakes. These brakes have managed to remove all the positives of disc brakes while keeping all the negatives. A double whammy! Even so, I think you should get the bike w/disc brakes (the Sport model). The brakes will still stop you and then you can always replace them later when you have the money to. Good disc brakes are very nice to have. Just my two cents...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heiney
    The earlier comment about the Tektro brakes is true. They are awful, horrible brakes. These brakes have managed to remove all the positives of disc brakes while keeping all the negatives. A double whammy! Even so, I think you should get the bike w/disc brakes (the Sport model). The brakes will still stop you and then you can always replace them later when you have the money to. Good disc brakes are very nice to have. Just my two cents...
    Tektro brakes are actually the best in their class when it comes to price point brakes. Most shops prefer them to some of the other price point brakes like ProMax and the like since they work pretty well and are easy to set up. Yes there are better cable disc brakes on the market with smoother action and better modulation, but they just fit into this bike's price point.

If you want a nice set of cable discs, save your pennies and get some Avid BB5's or BB7's. The good news is all you'll need to replace are the levers and calipers since the Sport is already a disc brake bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trbo32
    if you can't convince her, even tho it really is, you might want to check out the diamondback response, retails for a bit less than fl 2 (in the states, anyway), but comes with a more off-road worthy fork. Also comes w/ sensible linear pulls.

the question is, DHJill, why not just concede that the price point discs are not worth it? any decent shop monkey can convince about 90% of consumers of this. The other 10% are inevitably going to end up in walmart anyway. Leave the disc wheels on and spec linear pulls. less weight, less drag, and just as much stopping power. You can actually feel the tektro's pulsing when you get up to speed on pavement and apply about 25% stopping power. I will give you that they are better than promax, tho.

BTW, I know the answer to the question, already. you can't depend on the shop monkeys. even if you could, I know that occasionally a consumer will walk around the shop looking for a $400 bike w/ disc brakes. if they don't see it, they will walk out w/o asking questions. If I ran a bike company, it wouldn't last very long.

mtbr member
    You sort of answered your own question...disc brakes are seen as a selling feature even if they aren't the best performers. Can't tell you how many non-cyclists or cycling newbs comment on the disc brakes on whatever bike I'm riding or have on top of my car and they think that's the coolest thing ever.

Sure, a decent shop guy/gal can point out that good v-brakes are better than inferior discs, but key word is "decent". Many want the easy sale. Many simply just don't want to try to confuse the issue with a customer who comes in and is set on disc brakes. many don't know the difference.

Another consideration we have to look at when we spec bikes is what our competition is doing in the same range. If everyone else has discs and we've got v's, it potentially puts us at a disadvantage for the reasons I just mentioned above...the consumer/shop person sees a v-brake bike lined up against similarly spec'd and priced bikes with discs, the disc version usually wins unless a well-trained shop guy like yourself takes the time to explain the difference.

Apr 2007
    go for the comp if u can

Jul 2007

Smile

Get the Flightline Comp if you can swing it. I did and I love mine,Just got to put my A Frame pedals on tonight and I'll be set

Aug 2007
    Looks like this whole disc brakes, linear brakes thing is a touchie subject. For me, being a cycling newb, I wouldn't know the difference. But I look at it with this kind of logic. If an entry level bike, which can only handle certain types of terrain, as it's only entry level, has a set of disc brakes that have the equivalent stopping power as linear brakes, then why wouldn't you buy the bike with disc brakes? The disc will offer better stopping power in the wet and will have less or no fade and in normal conditions it will stop the same as a linear brake. To me, I don't see the argument. The only time I would go for a bike that had linear brakes would be if the disc brakes on an equivalent bike did not have the same stopping power as the linear brakes.
    If it isn't the brakes, then it's the forks, or the derailleurs or the hubs. It doesn't matter what bike you look at, when it comes to entry level it seems that everyone's opinion is that the parts are crap and you need to spend up to a grand to get a decent bike.
    Forums like this are great to get an idea of what is good and what to look for, but for a newb it just makes things more complicated.
    I went from looking at a Malvernstar XT3000 for $280 to now going for a Haro Comp at $500 after reading the posts here at the form. I actually feel that the Haro Comp is not good enough and that I should buy the Haro Expert!! It's just crazy.
    Looking at the picks posted on the forum nearly everyone has a full suspension bike that has been modified. I will never get to that stage and asking the opinion of cyclists that have a high benchmark for quality components can complicate things.
    One thing's for sure, I have now learned what to look for in a bike and because of this I have chosen to go for the Haro Comp. Everyone's comments, no matter how biased, have really helped.
    downhilljill I have noticed that the color schemes are different in the US for the FL series of Bikes. In Australia, in the FL Comp bike, I can chose from Blue or Black. Can you confirm if there is a difference in spec also?

Are Hayes MX4 brakes better than Tektro IO or are they the same in quality? lol

No.. Seriously!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    You made the right decision, trbo. by even entering into this forum you expressed your desire to make an informed consumer's decision. And I know that, after sorting through all of the extraneous info, you have picked out the right bike for you.

Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    trbo...the distributor in Australia often chooses to produce colors for that market that we don't do in the US. Spec should be the same, but you might want to compare what's offered on the bikes you are looking at to ours. I posted some FL spec info in the "New Flightlines" thread.

Aug 2007
    Thanks downhilljill. I received my FL Comp today and noticed that the specs were different. Unfortunately the only place I could get info on the FL bikes was here so I didn't have an opportunity to compare the Australian version against the US. I purchased the bike through Pacific Brands and they only had details of Color and size on their site. I listed the specs of the bike in the 'New Flightlines' thread and have asked people to give their opinion as to whether it's up to US spec or not.

I rode the bike today and really enjoyed it. Once I learn how to post pics on the forum I'll upload some.

Members who have read this thread: 0