escape transformation help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

escape transformation help

I have an 07 escape and I really like the bike, but from what I know it is not really an XC bike. Im wondering if its possible to change the bike some to make the geometry more XC oriented. I still want the nice tough frame. BTW I am no weight weenie, so weight is not an issue. Im thinking more geometry than weight. If its not possible than its fine, but if theres a way I would like to know how.

mtbr member
    As you know, this really isn't a hardcore XC bike. Of course it can be ridden on XC trails, but the geometry is going to make it somewhat uncomfortable for long XC-type rides.

The geometry is what it is. You can try putting on a longer stem so you are a little more stretched out. You can also try a shorter-travel front fork to drop the front end down, but that's a pretty radical and expensive change. Narrower bars might also make it feel a little more nimble.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    thanks downhilljill. I plan on upgrading the fork as soon as I can, and Im going to get one with adjustable travel. Im thinking the rock shox tora or revelation, the revelation can go from 85 to 130 mm I think. So with a fork like that, I can get a feel for what I like. Also, whats the weight of the escape approx?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fisherdude4eva
    thanks downhilljill. I plan on upgrading the fork as soon as I can, and Im going to get one with adjustable travel. Im thinking the rock shox tora or revelation, the revelation can go from 85 to 130 mm I think. So with a fork like that, I can get a feel for what I like. Also, whats the weight of the escape approx?
    The Tora or Revalation would be good choices for that bike; both have adjustable travel options.

Weight on the Escape is 32 lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    32 pounds?!

maybe I should cut some weight on that badboy. What changes do you think would be REAL weight savers. Not like a 20 gram decrease, but something that I can actually feel. Thanks donwhilljill.

mtbr member
    For a bike in the Escape's class, 32 lbs really isn't bad. Keep in mind this isn't a XC type bike. It's overbuilt and burly for more aggressive types of riding. As harsh as this might come across, if you are looking to shave a bunch of weight off the bike and make it into a XC bike, you bought the wrong bike.

But, if you want to shave some weight off the bike, the biggest bang for your buck and where you'll really feel it the most is wheels are tires. Shaving rotational weight makes a big difference. A lighter fork with an alloy steer tube and stanchions will also help you drop the weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    thanks downhilljill. I realized that my bike wasn't a 22lb lycra man's machine? I think thats what it said on the description in the catalong and online. I wanted a machine that I could blast uphill, which has been good, but can also blaze down the hill I go up. I guess the area I am in does require a lot of climbing, but I did not want an eensy xc bike because I wanted something more tough. The escape is tough for sure. I beat up my escape all the time and it has taken it fine. I knew this wasn't the XC bike, but it works great for me. When I saw 32 I thought it was heavy, but since you say its not bad at all for the class it is in, I am not complaining. BTW I ruined my rear wheel unknowingly, and I switched it with a Sunrim Rhynolite rim and a shimano hub. Thanks for the help downhilljill. BTW I read in your blog that you like fishing. As do I. It must be pretty nice fishing in San Diego. Big bass, and then big tuna.

Apr 2007
    as you know, downhilljill, ive also been looking at an escape. i currently have a steel frame, so 32 lbs doesnt bother me. the real problem i noticed on this thread, is that the geometry is apparently uncomfortable for XC. i do XC and all mountain riding. i noticed you guys have the v4. is the frame still as strong as the escape? also, is there any way i could pay a little extra and get a bigger(120mm) and better(not a fan of the dart fork)? maybe a marzocchi mz race like what is on the escape?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XCKing820
    as you know, downhilljill, ive also been looking at an escape. i currently have a steel frame, so 32 lbs doesnt bother me. the real problem i noticed on this thread, is that the geometry is apparently uncomfortable for XC. i do XC and all mountain riding. i noticed you guys have the v4. is the frame still as strong as the escape? also, is there any way i could pay a little extra and get a bigger(120mm) and better(not a fan of the dart fork)? maybe a marzocchi mz race like what is on the escape?
    The Escape *can* be ridden XC, but in my opinion, you won't be terribly comfortable for long rides. The head tube and seat tube angles are a little slack. Obviously, everyone's idea of comfort and "long ride" is different, but you'll be able to tell a lot just by doing a little parking lot test ride. It will also depend on what your background is. I know of BMX and gravity riders who ride their Escapes on XC rides and love it. Most hardcore XC riders who are used to riding bikes with a little steeper angles don't find it terribly comfortable.

The V4 is a great bike, but if you do any aggressive type of gravity riding, it's not going to fit the bill as well as the Escape. The head tube and seat tube angles are too steep so it will be a little twitchy.

Are you set on a hardtail? If not and if you can only afford one bike and you are trying to ride both XC and all-mountain, take a look at the Xeon. It's a do-it-all full-suspension bike that will fit both of your applications. If you are set on a hardtail and want something that will do both, you might have to compromise in some area. If you ride mostly aggressive AM, then I'd opt to go with an Escape. If you are riding mostly longish XC rides, the V4 might be better suited for you. Heck, if you have a few extra bucks, buy both and your problem is solved.

No fork upgrade options available from us. You'd have to upgrade on your own.

Apr 2007
    do you guys have any of the older escape models still? if so, how much do they go for? also, when do you guys start to clear out your 07 models? how much do prices drop when you do this?

mtbr member
    do you guys have any of the older escape models still? if so, how much do they go for? also, when do you guys start to clear out your 07 models? how much do prices drop when you do this?
    The Escapes took a little hiatus in 2006, so to answer your question, no, we don't have any older models on hand.

When and if we close out bikes varies; it generally depends on how much stock we have on hand. And it's solely up to the dealer if they decide to pass our closeout discounts on to consumers.

Apr 2007
    jill, i have one last question about the escape. i currently ride an 06 trek 820 that has an 18in frame(you can tell why im upgrading). the geometry on my bike compares more closely to your guys 16 in. should i stay with a 18 or go to a 16. i like the feel of my bike a lot.

mtbr member
    jill, i have one last question about the escape. i currently ride an 06 trek 820 that has an 18in frame(you can tell why im upgrading). the geometry on my bike compares more closely to your guys 16 in. should i stay with a 18 or go to a 16. i like the feel of my bike a lot.
    I would say if the geometry of your 18" Trek matches closely to the 16" Escape and you are happy with the way your old bike feels, go with the 16" Escape.

Apr 2007
    im 5'11". what do people my height normally buy???

mtbr member
    Depends on what you plan to do with the bike. If you're going to use it for gravity/jumping/etc, many riders your height will go down to a 16". If you are going to use it for more all-mountain riding including some trail riding, the 18" might be better for you.

Apr 2007
    do you have a 17in???
    JK

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hey Downhilljill,

Got a new question for the haro queen. I know that a 150 mm fork will make it more slow turning and make it higher and cumbersome. But will it still work good. Imagine I want to go somewhere all mountain/freeride with my escape because I know its such a tough frame. Will the longer travel fork be suitable?I compared the hardtail to another one with 150 mm. travel and the geometry is actually pretty similar. Will a long travel fork totally offset the bike and be horrible? thanks

mtbr member
    Haro Queen...I am flattered.

It really depends on what your definition of good is. If you put a 150mm fork on a bike that's designed around a 120mm fork, it's going to jack your front end up about an inch and raise your BB height. For descending and obstacle clearance, that may not be a bad thing. But if you do any trail riding at all with your Escape, that riding position won't be all that comfortable.

Your best bet might be to save your pennies and buy a fork that has some adjustable travel that goes up to about 150mm.

mtbr member
    fisherdude4eva, you right. Escape - not XC bike. Suitable for light freeride, allmountain or street/dirt.
    Excellent, lightweight bikes for XC - Merida HFS or TFS.
    Change your bike wholly to save money and have more fun with long raceway!.

Members who have read this thread: 0