downhilljill please help me, lol- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

New question here. downhilljill please help me, lol

I just bought a 05 Haro Zero (thread) eight and want to upgrade the forks. Heres a link to the bike I bought..... http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/245814/ It currently has 100mm Manitou Splice forks the guy said. I want something around 130mm, can this frame handel a fork with an extra inch? These are the forks I've been looking at, what is the best deal?

04 rock shox Phsylo with 125mm and a dp20 rim w/ axim 20mm hub ------- $200 cad shipped (I have a RS Recon on my X3 build and loved it, not sure how similar of a fork they are)

Next is a Marz DJ3 130mm with a single track wheel with 20mm hub, -------- $200usd shipped

Or an 04 Marz Z1 Freeride with 130mm standard qr 130mm for 180 usd

Last, a Marz drop off IV with 150mm of travel for 180 usd and I have to pay shipping.

I won't be doing monster jumps but I like long pluch travel, I am 160lbs, anout 5'9, and I like take medium jumps/drops. Will any of these suit my bike, and if so what is the best deal? I like the drop offs but they may be too much travel????

mtbr member
    Sorry Coop, but I generally don't give advice on what's the "best deal" on our products or parts. "Best deal" is pretty subjective. And quite honestly, I just don't keep up on what used bikes and parts run these days.

I will just tell you that I don't recommend going with any more travel than 130mm since that's what that frame is designed for.

Keep in mind that any of the forks you buy with a 20mm thru-axle will also require you to purchase a new fron hub/wheel since the stock wheelset was a standard QR.

BTW, we didn't produce the Zero on 2005; it was a 2006 bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hmmmm, so I amguessing the forks on the bike that I gave the address for most likely are not stock if they have only 100mm correct? He advertised it as an 05 but if it is newer than that well then all the better. This is also good new to me as I want a fork around 13umm and didn't want to screw up my geom.

Well I will re-word my question, lol.If I am around 160lbs, 5'8-9'ish and do medium jumps and drops, what fork would suit my riding style. I will so a little park and dj-ing but mainly XC. The Bomber Z1 seems like the best and the Psylo's have a little less travel but I enjoyed my last RS fork. DJ3's I know are a solid fork as well, and as for getting a new hub I have already arranged for that. So what would suit my riding style best? Or is the Splice a pretty good fork (as long as the one on the bike is actually 130mm, but I have never seen them in the blue colour.
    Thanks a lot

mtbr member
    We actually spec'd a 130mm Splice Comp on the 2006 Zero/Thread bikes. Manitou did make a standard Splice fork in 100mm, but we used the Comp version. If it's a Splice and not a Splice Comp, sounds like the previous owner may have switched the forks out.

I've had a couple of Psylo's on past bikes and they woked pretty awesome. Light and stiff; work well over a variety of terrain. Since this used fork comes with a 20mm hub, it solves the front wheel issue for you (at least partially; still need to get it built up).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Of the 2, which would you put on your bike? Would you say no to a Marz Dj3 or Z1?

mtbr member
    I'll leave that up to you. I typically run either Fox or RockShox forks on my bikes. I have had the most experience with these brands, so that's what I have. Marzocchi makes killer forks and we spec them on a lot of bikes; I just don't have as much experience with them since I don't have them on my personal bikes.

I encourage you to make the decision for yourself based on the type of riding you plan to do. They are all fine forks. There are loads of fork reviews here on MTBR; you might take the time to read through them to see what fork will suit you best.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks, as for the bike, it wound up being an 06 and he did swap the fork to one with less travel, why he did I have no idea but my bike is on a ups truck making its way to me just need a fork now. Where can I get good prices on used or maybe new forks? Any ideas, classifieds on this site seem pretty expensive

Members who have read this thread: 0