downhill Jill, Talk me out of buyinbg a GF Hifi!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

downhill Jill, Talk me out of buyinbg a GF Hifi!!

I rode the GF Hifi Plus today and the one big thing going for it is the weight. It weighed in at 26 pounds. I prefer the ride of the VL 120 but I just can't get over the hefty 31 pounds of the Sonix. Should this really be a concern? There's just something psychological about the 30 pound barrier. I really want to go with Haro, maybe I just need a push in the right direction.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks

May I interject?

Quote Originally Posted by Furrydogs
    I rode the GF Hifi Plus today and the one big thing going for it is the weight. It weighed in at 26 pounds. I prefer the ride of the VL 120 but I just can't get over the hefty 31 pounds of the Sonix. Should this really be a concern? There's just something psychological about the 30 pound barrier. I really want to go with Haro, maybe I just need a push in the right direction.
    May I interject? This should help...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...hlight=failure

in case that link doesn't work, try this one... http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...79216#poststop

and if that doesn't work just go to the Gary Fisher/Trek forum and look for the HiFi Failure thread.
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    Wow Rich A, couldn't have said it better myself.

Furrydogs, make sure you are comparing apples to apples. I assume you are comapring the Hi-Fi Plus to the entry-level Sonix? If so, yes, the Sonix weighs in at about 31 lbs. The Sonix S weighs about 29 lbs. It is possible to get the weight down considerably...both my Sonix and my product manager's Sonix weigh in the 25-ish range.

I would encourage you to buy whatever bike you feel performs best and that you feel you'll have the most fun on. The Hi-Fi could weigh 20 lbs, but if it's not fun to ride, the lightweight factor means nothing. Yes, shedding the extra pounds can make a difference, but you can't ignore the fun factor.

Here's the facts. The Sonix uses a completely different type of suspension technology that's designed to climb uphill like a hardtail and descend with tons of plushness (is that a word?). If you want more background on the designer and the overall mechanics, let me know and I'll go into it.

As far as the nuts and bolts, not knowing whether you are looking at the Sonix or the Sonix S makes it hard to compare overall spec. Based on the +/- $2000 retail price of the Hi-Fi Plus, I assume you are possibly comparing it to the Sonix. Here's where the Sonix wins over the Hi-Fi:

-Fork. In my opinion, the RockShox Tora is a much better performing fork with better reliability. MotionControl is a nice feature to have; the Relic only has lockout. Yes, the Tora does have a steel steerer and stanctions, but the weight is the same as the Relic.

-Sealed headset

-Cranks. Sonix has Deore level; Hi-Fi has non-series Shimano.

-Shimano rear cassette

-Brakes. Sonix has Shimano hydraulics which are Avid Juicy 5 level in terms of performance and price.

-Wheelset. Sonix has Shimano centerlock hubs built up to WTB Dual Duty rims.

-Misc bits like cockpit components and tires. Check out all the name-brand componets we use in this area...Ritchey, WTB, etc. If you care about stuff like that, these are all components people buy as aftermaket upgrades.

-Pedals...the M525's are better than the M505. More open with better mud shedding clearance.

Ok then. There you have it. As always, if you have any other questions, let me know. Let us know what you decide!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Rich and Jill. I am looking at the basic Sonix and I think I will call my LBS tomorrow morning so that the bike will be ready by Tuesday night.

I haven't described the types of trails I ride so I'd appreciate any comments anyone might have regarding if this is the right bike for me. I live in Colorado and most of my day to day rides are on rocky, technical single track. Lots of climbing and lots of downhill. I have ridden Moab and Fruita on our yearly trip for the last 7 years so I do see some rough stuff like Porcupine Rim and Amassa Back. I am thinking of doing the 142 mile Kokopelli trail from Fruita to Moab next year so I definitely need a good bike for that. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a match made in heaven if you ask me. But then again, I am sort of partial.

I'll let some of the others answer your question.

mtbr member
    OK downhilljill. I am going to hold you personally responsible for my purchase. I have a feeling that when I show up at the trail on Wednesday afternoon my buddies are going to wonder what in the hell I was thinking buying a Haro. I'm sure they will be pleasantly surprised after they take it for a spin though. One of my buddies is about to retire his 5 year old FS Stumpjumper so I'll try and send him your guys' way.

I'm a dog person
    I haven't described the types of trails I ride so I'd appreciate any comments anyone might have regarding if this is the right bike for me.
    Well, it sounds like you've already made your purchase, but from my experience, the types of trails you described are a perfect match for the VL120s. BTW, my Sonix weighs 25.5#. You can see it listed with its specs in the Show Your Haro thread and can read my review (look for the one by James).
    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

In exile
    I have sold a few 06 VL120s, and aside from the lack of rebound on the fork, I think it's perfect. I often contemplate replacing my Reign with a Haro.

mtbr member
    emptybeer, I haven't officially purchased the bike but I'm fairly confident I will pull the trigger tomorrow morning. I feel better seeing that you got your weight down to about 26 pounds. As I replace components I should be able to shed a few pounds also.

mtbr member
    OK downhilljill. I am going to hold you personally responsible for my purchase. I have a feeling that when I show up at the trail on Wednesday afternoon my buddies are going to wonder what in the hell I was thinking buying a Haro. I'm sure they will be pleasantly surprised after they take it for a spin though. One of my buddies is about to retire his 5 year old FS Stumpjumper so I'll try and send him your guys' way.
    Ha ha ha!

OK, sounds good. I'm pretty confident that you'll love it. But don't buy or not buy the Sonix (or any bike for that matter) because of what people (me included) tell you or will tell you. Buy the bike because YOU like it and YOU feel like it will be a good choice for the type of riding you do.

Haro Product Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by emptybeer
    Well, it sounds like you've already made your purchase, but from my experience, the types of trails you described are a perfect match for the VL120s. BTW, my Sonix weighs 25.5#. You can see it listed with its specs in the Show Your Haro thread and can read my review (look for the one by James).
    Nice that is a good weight mine comes in right at a hair over 25 pounds. 07 Werx all XTR Kenda tires and Ritchey goodies.

locked - time out

Fork.

It also bears mentioning that the fork on the Hi-Fi is proprietary. Not saying it's good or bad, just something you may want to keep in mind if you are looking to swap.

mtbr member
    You're right, the fork issue could be a problem. Not a problem now anyway. I went ahead and bought the Sonix.

Members who have read this thread: 0