Changing some parts on my X6- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Changing some parts on my X6

Guys,

I have fat S and the stock saddle is giving some pain to my bone. There are many saddles out there but which would be best for me? Something that dont cost a bomb...

Second, I find it is hard to pedal the bike on the road. It's too bouncy,soft and squishy..guess its due to my weigh being about 210lbs, i think its more now close to 220lbs. Should I get a firmer Rear Shocks?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Saddles are generally a personal preference thing...no two rear-ends are really the same. I'm searching for one as well & will be looking into something from WTB...they get a lot of recommendations for being pretty comfy.

It's not likely that you need a new rear shock, rather a firmer spring. I have an X2 (basically the same as your X6). My bike came w/ a Fox Vanilla R & the shock was very undersprung for my weight. A call to Fox & they sent me a 750 lb spring for less than $30...I'm also 220 lbs.

Not sure which rear shock your bike came w/...but contact the mfgr & they should be able to provide you w/ the correct spring for your weight.

Mark

mtbr member
    Yep, I second that Kramonut says. Saddles are a personal thing. WTB does some pretty comfy saddles that don't break the bank cost wise. You might also talk to your LBS...there are many saddle manufacturers that have demo programs through retailers that allow you to try saddles before you buy them.

Try a stiffer spring rate on your rear shock; that should do the trick. The rear shock manufacturer should be able to give you some guidelines for your weight.

mtbr member
    Thank you DownhillJill and Kramonut for your kind feedback.

I'll look for a better saddle, slowly but surely.My LBS has the Fizik Gobi.They said its comfy but it looks thin tho. Anyone on it now?

As for the shocks, Ive mailed Fox and seek for their advise. The guy suggested to get the 700lbs springs for the 5" travel or 800lbs for 6" travel. Told the guy at my LBS,but he just cant believe I should get even the 700lbs.According to him, I should just get the 600 based on the calculation below:

Wheel Travel/Shocks travel= X then X times weight in LBS.

5"/2"= 2.5 then 2.5 X 220lbs = 550. Is this correct? He used the spring calculator,link as below:

http://www.tftunedshox.com/springcalc.htm

So I have 600lbs from the website, 650lbs from the guy at LBS, 700lbs from fox and 750lbs from kramonut..well well, this is not going to be easy. Help?

mtbr member
    Sometimes when you are changing spring rates, it may take a couple of trys to find the "perfect" one. Some people prefer a little firmer ride, others prefer a softer ride. You may need to try a couple before you find the right one.

mtbr member
    I think I need a hardtail...?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deto
    I think I need a hardtail...?
    Naw. It will all come together. You'll have a blast on that bike once you get it all dialed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Deto
    So I have 600lbs from the website, 650lbs from the guy at LBS, 700lbs from fox and 750lbs from kramonut..well well, this is not going to be easy. Help?
    I'm not necessarily suggesting a 750 lb spring is right for you. That will also be determined by how you intend to use the bike. Did the guy at Fox ask if you'll be doing drops & jumps? That will help determine the spring rate that would be best for you.

I like to ride aggressively so the heavier spring rate was better for my heavier body. I'm no expert by any means, but a softer spring rate would likely work better for general trail riding, if that's your intended usage.

I've since ditched the Vanilla R & have a Swinger 4-way Air on it. I don't have any ride time on that shock though...just disassembled the bike to re-paint it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kramonut
    I've since ditched the Vanilla R & have a Swinger 4-way Air on it. I don't have any ride time on that shock though...just disassembled the bike to re-paint it.
    Hmmm, sell me your spring...

Members who have read this thread: 0