Attention 357 owners!- Mtbr.com
    Unfit Norwegian

Attention 357 owners!

Hi there.

I'm just wondering if all 357s with the floating rear brake have problems with noisy braking, or just some.

How's your experience with the bikes apart from that?

Three sheets to the wind
    See my post...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=302557

Brian Berthold at Brake Therepy is coming up with a retrofit system...should come in under 300 bux...

Aug 2007

tis tis...???

Whats with everybody wining about the floating brake being too loud! Are you serious??? Is that the only thing going though your head when your flying down a mountain a 50 mph or huck'n of something big?.. Ahhh geee; my floating brake is loud...

GET OVER IT!!! Its ether that, or brake chatter like a M. F. from the alternative set up. Ride your bike faster man! what gives? Do something to milk those adrenaline glands dry and you'll soon forget about your floating brake being too loud for your pretty little ears.

thank you for your time, have a nice day...

mtbr member
    I have been riding w/o the floater on my 357 for a while now and love it! Brake jack is a joke. I have yet to feel the effects of no floater other than maybe one or two times through out a day of riding.
    The other bonus is being able to skid my rear end to keep me on the trail when I am ripping race runs. I know skidding isn't the best thing to do but it sure can make you faster when done correctly. Now if I could just stop my fork from getting mad rebound fade I will be all set.

Aug 2007

... and if we just ...

Solution to Rebound Fade:

1) Take off your Boxxer
    2) Throw it in the trash
    3) Get a 40 or a 888.
    4) Ride with confidence knowing you got rid of that garbage ass boxxer!

mtbr member
    Sup everyone, im pretty new to the site. Im a clydesdale rockin a 357. I ran into a few problems early on with the brake rod rainbow as seen in Bawitdaba's thread, my rear caliper bracket was pressed against the back of the swing arm and the brake line pinched, and wow could you hear my problems from across the canyon. I trashed the rod, and installed the alternative which works fine. I still wasnt happy with the bike until swapping out the "Metal" rear shock to the Swinger 6-way, heavier spring and added a "Race Cocktail" to my Boxxer Race...thanks to Darren Steensma and Rick Nunez from ProBuilt Wheels, wow what a difference! After letting them go thru the bike and helping me tune the suspension, the ride is well worth the initial frustrations i had. Im liking it tons better now...

mtbr member
    Just to clarify after thinking a bit more about it, in my case im sure there was a direct connection between equipment failure and the bike not being setup properly for my weight when assembled. When i purchased it, I was given no direction in regard to moving up to a heavier spring in the fork or rear shock due to me being a heavier rider, and at the time I didnít realize. Im stoked the bugs are worked out, the bike works really well now.
    My .02

Aug 2007
    I totally know what ya mean man. I tried out a 357 Magnum outside of a bike shop once; it felt like poo. The spring is way too soft; made it feel like a 5" travel bike. the boxxer also has to have an aquired taste to it, or you won't like it. After riding it, I liked my 357 '9' set up way better than the stock 06 Mag build-up. But I didn't take into consideration the tuning for it at that time. I should have told them about it because I don't think they really had a clue what to do with it. That bike shop which was usually known for selling goat bikes. It sucks that your LBS didn't tell you how to tune that bike.... real garbage.... a lot of S**** gets broken that way.

The frame was way above the components they spec'd it with. Their 07 version, that I saw at interbike,( that never made it into production ) was what they should have done in 2006. I strongely believe that if they would have done it that way, their would have been a higher demand for the 357, and it would still be a bike for today...

Three sheets to the wind
    Once I did away with the floater, my Nine is dialed in just fine...

Members who have read this thread: 0