Advice:X6 upgrades to be an all rounder bike.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Advice:X6 upgrades to be an all rounder bike.

Hi guys,

I need some advice here. I have the 07’ Haro X6 with stock parts and I think its time for me to upgrade the parts. I discovered that I am not the hardcore freeride rider, more into XC to keep myself fit and long trail >13miles but I have the interest to do light freeride.

I think the stock bike is heavy, thus I would like to upgrade it to be lighter, suitable for long ride, good for climbing&downhill, basically an all rounder bike(Trail bike?). Please advice which part should I upgrade in order. Thank you in advance.

Jun 2007
    The X6 is already an all mountain bike i think is what i was told. Maybe your just too picky! haha

mtbr member
    Yups, it is an all mountain bike but it's more on the heavy/freeride type. I just want to make the bike lighter / become a good climbing bike. Can it be as good as the Santa Cruz Heckler for an example?

Jun 2007
    You know im not real sure about that. Somebody else would know better than i would about the best things to upgrade for weight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    [QUOTE=Deto]I have the interest to do light freeride.

Since we have already been down this road, you really should tell us what you mean when you say "light freeride". Do you mean drops over 3-4 feet or launching gaps? And you are on a 16" right?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=b.ray]
    Quote Originally Posted by Deto
    I have the interest to do light freeride.

Since we have already been down this road, you really should tell us what you mean when you say "light freeride". Do you mean drops over 3-4 feet or launching gaps? And you are on a 16" right?
    Light freeride..Hmmm, how should I explain this,maybe yeah...launching gaps,drops not over 4ft and not flying high in the air.

Can I make the X6 to be an XC bike?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Deto]
    Quote Originally Posted by b.ray

Can I make the X6 to be an XC bike?
    In my opinion, not really. It's not an XC bike; it's more of an all-mountain bike that's skewed more towards the gravity end of the spectrum.

But, all isn't lost. You can still trail ride it, but just know that you're going to have a heavy-ish bike. You can still change out some parts here and there to lighten the beast up some. The beat area to eliminate weight where you'll notice the biggest difference rotational weight. Get a set of light wheels and lighter, narrower tires. I don't know how your bike is set up, but you can also shed a little weight by going with a lighter fork that's more designed for all-mountain XC riding and going with a ti spring on your rear shock. You might also want to put a longer stem on the bike as well.

mtbr member
    Thanks jill for your reply. I might sound silly/it doesnt make sense but here are some of the list of the components I'm thinking about...please advice.

Fork: RS Pike/ Fox 32 Float
    Hubs: Shimano XT
    Rims: Currently I have Mavic 721 as a spare
    Tires: 2.35 Front/2.1 Rear
    Crankset: Shimano XT /LX/ Race Face Evolve XC/ Truvativ stylo Team
    Bar: Easton EA70 Monkey Rise/ Race Face Evolve
    Stem: Thomson 100mm 10degree Rise

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I still really don't think you are going to be happy. I think that you would be better off starting over. I don't believe that you will ever be happy with the performance of this frame. It is not designed for what it sounds like you want out of a bike. And you are on the wrong size (16" right?). You will never manage to get a good pedaling position on this size at your height.

mtbr member
    b.ray, yeah I'm riding 16" and I'm 5'11". You may be right, im trying not to sell the frame and do what ever I can to save it, but I may have to let it go if the parts I listed above not worth spending on the frame.

mtbr member
    b.ray, yeah I'm riding 16" and I'm 5'11". You may be right, im trying not to sell the frame and do what ever I can to save it, but I may have to let it go if the parts I listed above not worth spending on the frame.
    Ooof...you're on a 16"? Yeah, you're gonna have a hard time making this into a XC bike. Like b.ray suggested, you might just want to start over. Either sell the bike and get an XC bike, or just take the money you were going to dump into XC parts and just keep your X6 for gnarly stuff.

Take a look at our Shift series bikes...nice, simple single-pivot XC bikes that don't break the bank. They aren't built with the lightest parts in the world, but if you switch out some stuff over time, you can get them pretty light.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill
    Ooof...you're on a 16"? Yeah, you're gonna have a hard time making this into a XC bike. Like b.ray suggested, you might just want to start over. Either sell the bike and get an XC bike, or just take the money you were going to dump into XC parts and just keep your X6 for gnarly stuff.
    Jill, you think so too? I'm not turning this bike into an Extreme XC bike, want it to be in between XC and freeride, how can I say this. Light weight all mountain bike perhaps? I have a group of friends who rides Heckler, Yeti 575, Epiphany and etc. How can my haro be as good as their bikes? Or this X6 can NEVER be as good as those bikes?

mtbr member
    It really has nothing to do with the X6 being as "good" as those bikes you mention; much of it is based on intended use (as compared to the other bikes you mentioned) and the fact that you are on a 16" bike.

The Heckler has a slightly steeper head angle and seat angle, making it more suited for XC-type riding. Same goes for the Epiphany. The Yeti is actually pretty slack and more along the lines of the X6.

If you are 5'11", you really should be on an 18" for the type of riding you plan to do. I'm not saying the X6 can't ever be a lightweight all-mountain type of bike that you can do a little freeride on...the geometry isn't what I would favor for that type of riding, but that's just my opinion. The size of the bike might limit you. In order to get your seat height where you need it to be, you'll likely have a LOT of seatpost showing. The more you increase your seat height, the longer your effective TT length will be. In your case, I'm really afraid that your effective TT length is going to be increased to the point where it will put you too far over your rear wheel, making the bike an inefficient climber.

All you can do is give it a try. Before making a decision, try buying a lighter, narrower set of tires and possibly a slightly longer stem and see how it rides for you. Put your seat height up to where you'd ride XC and give 'er a go.

Shop *****
    If you ever wanted to trade your 16" frame for my 18" frame... I would be happy to do so.. Mine's too big for me (5'7") but I wont have the money for quite a while to upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill

All you can do is give it a try. Before making a decision, try buying a lighter, narrower set of tires and possibly a slightly longer stem and see how it rides for you. Put your seat height up to where you'd ride XC and give 'er a go.
    Thanks Jill for your tips, I'll consider the above. Looking at the geometry of the Haro, it's quite similar to epiphany's, just that my TT length and wheelbase is short.

mtbr member
    Thanks Jill for your tips, I'll consider the above. Looking at the geometry of the Haro, it's quite similar to epiphany's, just that my TT length and wheelbase is short.
    Hmmm...gotta disagree with you on that one. IMHO, the Epiphany is the most dissimilar of the bunch. You've got a 2 degree difference (with the Epiphany being steeper) in the HT and ST angles which are your most critical factors for deciding how a bike will handle and what it's intended use will be. 2 degrees might not seem like a lot, but it actually is. The steeper these angles, the more XC-oriented the bike will be.

mtbr member
    Jill,

U just recheck haro and ellsworth website and this is what stated.

Haro X6 16"
    Head Angle: 70
    Seat Angel: 73
    Chainstay:16.9
    Wheelbase:41.4
    TT:21.8

Epiphany M/L size
    Head Angle:70
    Seat Angle: 73.5
    Chainstay:16.9
    Wheelbase: 43.9/ 44.7
    TT:23.5 /24.25

That's the reason why I said the X6 is similar to Epiphany except the WB and TT, referring to their website.
    Last edited by Deto; 07-06-2007 at 11:36 PM.

mtbr member
    I don't think the geometry on the website is correct now that you point that out; goes to show no matter how many times you proofread your website, you don't catch everything.

I don't have my charts here at home, but from what I can recall, the X6 has a head angle that's about 68 degrees and HT angle of about 71. I'll double check on monday.

mtbr member
    OK, back at work with geo charts in front of me. As I suspected, the geo chart on the website is incorrect. It appears that our webguy somehow misdirected some links after we proofread and launched the site. There are several bikes that are incorrect; I'm working on correcting them now.

So here's your correct geo for the X6 based on a 16" size (if you want the full chart, you can download it with our catalog...it's the very last page/backcover):

Head angle: 68
    Seat angle: 71.5
    Effective TT length: 23.2"
    Seat tube (Center-top): 16"
    Chainstay: 16.9"
    BB height: 13.9"
    Wheelbase: 43.5"
    Standover: 30.5"

mtbr member
    OK, back at work with geo charts in front of me. As I suspected, the geo on website is incorrect. Evidently our webguy managed to misdirect some links after we had proofed the site and went live with it. There are actually several bikes with incorrect geo charts on the website; I'm in the process of correcting this right now.

So here's the correct geo for an X6 in the 16" size (for the full chart, download it with our 2007 catalog...it's the very last page/backcover)

Head tube angle: 68
    Seat angle: 71.5
    Effective TT length: 23.2"
    Seat tube C-T: 16"
    Chainstay: 16.9"
    BB height: 13.9"
    Wheel base: 43.5"
    Standover: 30.5"

Members who have read this thread: 0