2007 model Haro Escape thread- Mtbr.com

Sep 2007

2007 model Haro Escape thread

Hi everyone,

Hopefully I am posting in the right area...

Thought it might be nice to have a thread dedicated to the 07 escape as I see in the 'show us your haro' thread that a few people around here seem to have them. I don't know if you want to post a pic of your bike and describe it or leave that for the previous thread I mentioned or just talk about the bikes in general.

Anyway I am from near Melbourne (Australia), I liked the look of this forum because it has the dedicated Haro section which seems to also be supported by Haro employees, what more could you ask for!

This post is probably getting too long, so I will simply say that I bought the escape (bottom of the range, not the sport or comp), a few weeks ago and I am loving it!

Also does anyone else's brakes rub slightly?

Thanks

Craig

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

got myself one as well

I've had mine since April. As quickly as possible, I'd say upgrade the brakes and Suspension. drivetrain too, but not as important. And the wheels arent that strong. Its the kinda bike with loads of potential

Apr 2007
    i have noticed the brake rub. i dont know what i did, but by messing around with how tight i put the wheel on, and how much i turn each (screw, i dont know what its called), i was able to get rid of it. i also have the bottom of the line, but plan to build it up. i dont care about the wheels(these are the best ive ever used so i cant compare), but the drivetrain will probably become an XO, and the suspension a tora or revelation that is adjustable.(mainly for xc). for now, im not going to change anything until i need to.
    btw, good idea on the escape thread.

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fisherdude4eva
    I've had mine since April. As quickly as possible, I'd say upgrade the brakes and Suspension. drivetrain too, but not as important. And the wheels arent that strong. Its the kinda bike with loads of potential
    Yeah I actually was going to buy a bike from Big W... until I looked at them, then I was going to buy a $400AU (approx $300US) bike, however they had this for $699AU (approx $500US) as the new models were coming out. After riding it I couldn't go back, so I didn't bother riding the sport or comp as I had already spent way more than I intended.

So for me the bike feels unbelievable as previously I have only had crap bikes, however so far as I said the brakes rub (doesn't worry me too much at the moment) and although I suspect the drivetrain needs adjusting it could be better, but no real problem yet.

I haven't noticed anything wrong with the suspension it feels great to me, however it is the first bike I have owned with suspension... I guess there will be one way to find out how strong the wheels are...

I am just so glad I bought this bike now, the things I can do with it are amazing for me, I didn't really plan on doing much jumping/drops etc etc but when I get on it I just can't help myself, it gives me real confidence as it just feels so strong.

Craig

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XCKing820
    i have noticed the brake rub. i dont know what i did, but by messing around with how tight i put the wheel on, and how much i turn each (screw, i dont know what its called), i was able to get rid of it. i also have the bottom of the line, but plan to build it up. i dont care about the wheels(these are the best ive ever used so i cant compare), but the drivetrain will probably become an XO, and the suspension a tora or revelation that is adjustable.(mainly for xc). for now, im not going to change anything until i need to.
    btw, good idea on the escape thread.
    Thanks mate, yeah that seems obvious now that you mention it maybe by adjusting the tightness of the quick release (I think thats what you mean, on the front wheel), hopefully it can be fixed, a bit of a pain but no big deal, I will have to play around with it.

I don't know anything about those parts that you mentioned however I am in the same boat as you, I will probably only upgrade parts if I find thier limit (unlikely as I am not a hardcore rider), or if I break something.

By the way guys what sort of riding do you do?

I ride mine around the suburbs looking for steps, drops or jumps everywhere I go , there is actually some fun riding at the creek right at my house which is great. I also plan on doing a bit of short cross country I guess you would call it, I prefer to ride challenging tracks rather than cover miles and I am also going to check out some purpose built tracks near my house soon don't know what sort of tracks they are yet.

Craig

mtbr member
    Damn, I love it when people base their MTBR usernames around the bikes they ride...especially when it involves Haro! Very cool.

Noise coming from disc brakes is common and easily fixed. Your wheel could be crooked in the drop-out...just remove the wheel and replace it making sure the wheel is straight. If that still doesn't work, your caliper might be a little crooked. If you are mechanically inclined, you can just loosen up the two bolts that hold the caliper on to the disc brake mount. Spin the wheel and grab the brake. While holding the brake on, tighten the bolts back up. Let go of the brake and spin the wheel. With any luck, this should center your caliper and the rubbing will go away. If you are not mechnically inclined, please don't try this at home and take the bike to your local shop.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by haroescape
    By the way guys what sort of riding do you do?

Craig
    i try to do all the all mountain i can, but montana is lacking, and ive only found a couple good trails. i spend some time on an xc trail near my house, and it has some good drops and fast parts, but mainly is xc. i also prefer technical or fast downhill trails rather than a long flat trail. i was talking about the quick release by the way. anyways, good luck finding new places to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

2008 Haro Escape Comp

I just bought a 2008 Haro Escape Comp. from my LBS. Here are the facts. the 2008 is spec'd out with Shimano hydraulic disc brakes, good hubs and rims, ok Truvativ cranks with good howitzer bottum bracket XT rear deraileur and Deare front deraleiur (very nice) plus really good shimano shifters and brake levers and excellent comfortable ODi style grips and truvativ bars. The bike also has 100.00 dollar kenda 2.1's. seat is a WTB pro 5 gel type seat that is super easy on the numbing sections on the body. Overall a really well spec'd out bike that now comes in a kind of copper espresso color rather than last year's grey. Other than the typical need to get some good pedals other than the wellgo-ish "pivot" pedals, stock seat post and stock pivot stem, here is the mega draw back for the 2007. haro has decided to cut corners and spec out the 2008 Haro Escape Comp with a Marzocchi MZ race fork. Note, this fork is designed as a base cross country fork. Essentially, it is crap. The Haro Escape is marketed as an all Mountain Bike and rightly, it was spec'd out last year with the Rock Shox Tora 302 U turn ( in english that is a fork that is all mountain ready with adjustable travel, great rebound adjustment and lock out ready via a level mounted on the fork). The Marz MZ race has a label on it that says, "If you ride this for any other reason than cross country, the warranty is void. this reminds me of the BMX bikes that Haro used to make in the mid eighties- we all used them to huck our bike ten feet out of quarter pipes but they were not even made ready to race on dirt tracks. What is up Haro? I actually made my LBS (local bike shop) put a Tora U turn on it or I was getting my money back. They did it because I am an old Mountain Goat BMXer that will not be suckered after thirty years of BMX and MTB. But, I cry for all the young bucks who will have to upgrade from a 100 dollor shock to something that will actually handle the mountain, ten set of stairs, down hill run or the Xc ride. haro makes a great bike that was truly all mountain- until 2008. I get my 08 Escape comp back from the LBS tomorrow with the new Toro 302 and will post about how well the new rig handles at Fricke Park in Pittsburgh PA (my back yard). Peace, and ride bike, not trends.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    yeah the mz race isnt the best out there... but thats ok because Im getting a pike or revelation soon. Maybe a talas 32. What do you think DHJill?

mtbr member
    Yeah, jayrev67, I can't understand this situation too..
    I have to replace fork on Haro Thread One, I already said before.. Own DJ-4 '07 so stupid, and high weight like old flatiron. After each pull-up, I have disgusting strikes from the fork.
    DhJill, tell please, is the forks producers not allow to complete your bikes with more high level forks?
    I don't wonder if this truth.. Global corporation, just like Marz, Sram etc want more profit. Reason: you buy complete bike, and then buy new fork.. Who in profit? Globalization law..

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Good Spec Beat Building

Don't get me wrong DHJILL and others. I bought a complete because there is no way I could build the same bike if I bought parts retail from a shop or jensons or Universal or whatever. The disappointment is in the fact that last year, Haro's best all round (urban dirt jump, XC ie. all mountain) had a more than decent fork. If you weigh 150-175 and you do not really ride serious urban freeride, but ride XC harder than the average guy who is shifting from road riding to XC, then the marzocchi mz race fork is great- its an xc fork! But, the bike (the escape comp) is marketed for those of us who ride MTB's like BMX bikes. The trouble for me has always been that I ruin stuff, not because I am a hucker, but because I am a clydsdale that weighs 125 (I am 6'5 and have to shop in the big boys section for clothes). I have been riding BMX for 30 years (http://alittlekidsbike.blogspot.com/) so even when I ride XC, I ride like I am a BMXer. It is so great that Haro is making burly bikes that are spec'd out so well and I know that they have to make a profit, but I think that they sacrificed a lot with the 2008 comp by specing it out with the Marz. Just so you know, I am pating the bike shop an extra 100 for the fork.

DHJill, wow the pike is double the price of the tora (400ish?) and the revelation triple the tora (600ish?). These are really nice forks. But, I wonder, other than giving another 10mm of travel and a bit more responsiveness and stability, is there that much difference between an upgrade from xc to all mountain that is going to be justified by paying 400 more dollars? The tora can be had for 200ish and the revelation for 600ish. Man, there really needs to be a significant difference for me to justify dumping 400. What do you think?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Boy I am Skinny

I ought to read before I push submit reply. I am a clydsdale that weighs 225, not 125. SSS (sorry so sloppy).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I got the same problem with my escape, stock MZ race is really a bad fork ... I'm thinking of upgrading it with RS tora 302 or maybe something with even more travel ... can i put a 150 mm on it?

mtbr member
    Man I LOVE the new Escape Comp color/graphix. jayrev67 what size did you get? I ride a lot like you do (having read your blog) just not as crazy and my comp is my first real MB coming from a 24" Haro 2.2. Im kinda glad I got a 07 because of the 302 but the copper is a lovely color! Besides the Shimano brakes for 08 may be an upgrade from the Juicy 3 that came on the 07. ( i dont know). I do know thats what I will need to replace first as they are fading fast and sound like a turkey on crack when ever I brake.

At the price of the Escape, even the comp, somethings will have to be repalced. Like you said, you can't have all top of the line components at these prices. Up grade as things break and enjoy your beefy as hell frame. I compared many many bikes before I bought my comp and pound for pound component for component no one had a better deal. (ie specialized p2 all montain, kona hoss deluxe, fisher mullet ect ect.)

I just thought of something....Mabye if I get chain suck and kick the crap out of my frame I can warranty it for a copper one.
    Last edited by kidcurry73; 09-06-2007 at 09:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

08 Haro- The color is copper!

DEVAHT
    You can upgrade all the way to 150, but you are kind of entering into DH territory. If you are super burly and weigh a ton, then that might be the solution. Cheaper is to just get a heavier coil for 40 dollars for a next up shock. The reason I like hte RS tora either the 302 or the 318 is that it is under 300 but still very sound. I really like hte Marzocchi AM (All Moutain 2,s 3's and 4's, and someone mentioned the Rock Shox Pike and Revelation. I really think the important thing for all of us us rebound (so you do not have a lot of suck when you land, rigidity (which most forks have plenty of ) and a lock out and or pop lock (it pops back into shack mode if you forget to unlock it).

KID CURRY 73
    Dude, I ordered the 07 at first after doing the same level of research and came to the same conclusion. I kinda of hate moaning about this bvecause the Haro is spec'd out so amazingly. I actually was considering the Specialized P All Mountain at 1300. The bike shop stopped carrying Specialized the week I came in because they wanted them to become like an exclusive Specialized dealer, so my LBS just said, We can get you the Haro for 10% off. So, I paid 800 and change for it. But, the 2007's were totally sold out (shows how well they did this year). So, I got to have one of the first 08's and the copper color does have a cool factor that is just off the charts. Also, point taken about the Shimano's being an upgrade. I checked it and the ones on mine are an upgrade. Also, they put shimano hubs on both ends instead of last years pivot (which is Haro's own brand. Overall, the fork, stem, pedals and seat post were the only things that I will consider upgrading and definitely not until, or if, I brake them. As far as size goes, I got a 20 inch which comes out to a 24 ish inch top tube, which sounds huge, but I am really tall and I ride a 21 inch top tube BMX.

mtbr member
    Wow, lots going on here. I'll do my best to address it all.

Sounds like the issue at hand is why we spec the forks we do and why we don't spec better forks on certain bikes.

OK, where do I even begin to start? Forks are tough. They are the most expensive item on a bike when we spec them, so they present a real challenge. My philosophy is to spec the best fork possible based on the final retail price point of the bike.

Haro, like all manufacturers, faces pressure from two different areas that drive the way bikes are spec'd: our competition and from you, the consumer.

If you look at a bunch of different bikes and their price points, you'll start to see a pattern of bikes grouped into similar retail pricing and spec strategy. Obviously, as a manufacturer, the goal is to spec the best bike possible based on these price "buckets" that exist between bike manufacturers. Here at Haro, we get pretty creative with this and do our best to use the best stuff we can, but there are obviously limits. Sorry, you're just not going to be able to buy a bike equipped with a Fox Talas for $900. But we do the best we can. In a nutshell, it's sort of like "keeping up with the Joneses".

On a consumer level, there's always the pressure to bring less expensive bikes to market. For the majority of manufacturers, bikes under $1000 represent about 85% their sales. Are bikes under a grand going to get the best parts on them? No, they aren't. Like many things in life, you get what you pay for. I know that sounds harsh and I don't mean it to be a dig at anyone, but it's true. A $700 bike just isn't going to perform and last as long as a $3000 bike will, yet many bike buyers expect them to. It's very frustrating from a manufacturer's standpoint.

Haro, like all bike manufacturers, are a business...and businesses need to make money to stay in business. Not that we're making a lot...ask anyone in the bike manufacturing side of the business and they'll tell you the margins are surprisingly small. Nobody's getting rich, that's for sure. Our dealers make far more margin on our bikes than we do, that's for sure.

PatSS and I work really hard to put the best possible spec we can on the bikes while still maintaining our paltry margins to keep the beancounters happy. Obviously "best" is subject to interpretation (hey, everyone has an opinion), but we buy the best we can in our own little humble opinions.

OK, I've rambled on far too long on this. Does that make things any clearer to ya'll?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Of Course You Make Sense DHJILL, BUT...

DHJILL,

Of course you make sense and your reasoning is very sound. Having lived and breather BMX for the past 30 years I know what you can get froma complete and what it takes to build up something that will be unbreakable. I really do think ya'all have done a great job (better in 07 than in 08) in spec' ing out your bikes. I actually bought the Escape comp instead of the Specialized P all mountian (which is 1300), however, because it had a tora 302 and not a mz race. Here is the big problem, regardless of how you balance out the parts. The fork is THE BIGGEST part on the bike, as you have said. And, when I got the bike home, and started to take off all the refelctors and stickers, I noticed a sticker on the fork- it said, this fork is intended for XC only. If it is ridden for dH, Freeride, Urban, or All Mountain, the warranty will be void. If you go to the Marz website, it tells you that the MZ race is strictly a XC fork. It is not designed for all mountain. Now, unless you all have changed your marketing, my understanding from the haro website and catalog, is tha tthe Haro Escape Comp is designed for jumping, all mountain, some Dirt jumping, and some urban. I do all this and that and I bought the bike, ultimately because Haro is so close to BMX. So, I think you guys have made a big mistake. I was willing to pay to fix it and will, of course replace a bunch of parts that could not fit into the complete package because you all need to make money- I am very cool with that. I guess to "put this to bed," I think a lot of riders are going to chose a different bike if the fork is not up to par, precisely because it is the biggest component, next to the frame, on the bike. Anyway, don't lose sleep over it. I still own a Haro, have been riding Haro stuff since Bob Haro was doing kick turn on wedge ramps in 1982, and will continue to support the company. Peace.

mtbr member
    It's very good, that you heed of your consumers opinion..
    Just for information: In Russia the Haro Thread soon will be the most popular bikes, I think. At internet forums, when some newbe ask about which inexpensive DJ/street bike should be get, more and more guys recommends Haro Thread One. But also I listen more and more sounds about boom heavy stupid forks, bad breakes and unscrew cranks..

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XCKing820
    i try to do all the all mountain i can, but montana is lacking, and ive only found a couple good trails. i spend some time on an xc trail near my house, and it has some good drops and fast parts, but mainly is xc. i also prefer technical or fast downhill trails rather than a long flat trail. i was talking about the quick release by the way. anyways, good luck finding new places to ride.
    Thanks mate, there should be a fair bit of riding nearby, I just have to get in the car and find it! I basically like any sort of riding and like technical fast trails as well, could I say I like 'All Mountain' does that mean I like a bit of everything? I think I am a jack of all trades master of none so to speak!

I might try to change the thread to '2007/2008 models' if I can.

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by downhilljill
    Damn, I love it when people base their MTBR usernames around the bikes they ride...especially when it involves Haro! Very cool.

Noise coming from disc brakes is common and easily fixed. Your wheel could be crooked in the drop-out...just remove the wheel and replace it making sure the wheel is straight. If that still doesn't work, your caliper might be a little crooked. If you are mechanically inclined, you can just loosen up the two bolts that hold the caliper on to the disc brake mount. Spin the wheel and grab the brake. While holding the brake on, tighten the bolts back up. Let go of the brake and spin the wheel. With any luck, this should center your caliper and the rubbing will go away. If you are not mechnically inclined, please don't try this at home and take the bike to your local shop.
    Haha glad you are impressed! I am pretty proud of my bike and very happy with it so I guess thats how it came about...

When I bought it the guy in the shop warned me not to take my eyes off it or some kid would steal it, he could obviously tell that I was clueless after I asked him "Is Haro a good brand, I have never heard of them?". Then when I was riding near my house the other day I rode past two approximately 12 yr old boys and one said "nice bike" then the other "Hey that IS a nice bike" then the first kid again "YEAH", thought it was funny made me feel pretty cool

Thanks for the tips on the brakes, I haven't had time to fiddle with them yet though.

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jayrev67
    I just bought a 2008 Haro Escape Comp. from my LBS. Here are the facts. the 2008 is spec'd out with Shimano hydraulic disc brakes, good hubs and rims, ok Truvativ cranks with good howitzer bottum bracket XT rear deraileur and Deare front deraleiur (very nice) plus really good shimano shifters and brake levers and excellent comfortable ODi style grips and truvativ bars. The bike also has 100.00 dollar kenda 2.1's. seat is a WTB pro 5 gel type seat that is super easy on the numbing sections on the body. Overall a really well spec'd out bike that now comes in a kind of copper espresso color rather than last year's grey. Other than the typical need to get some good pedals other than the wellgo-ish "pivot" pedals, stock seat post and stock pivot stem, here is the mega draw back for the 2007. haro has decided to cut corners and spec out the 2008 Haro Escape Comp with a Marzocchi MZ race fork. Note, this fork is designed as a base cross country fork. Essentially, it is crap. The Haro Escape is marketed as an all Mountain Bike and rightly, it was spec'd out last year with the Rock Shox Tora 302 U turn ( in english that is a fork that is all mountain ready with adjustable travel, great rebound adjustment and lock out ready via a level mounted on the fork). The Marz MZ race has a label on it that says, "If you ride this for any other reason than cross country, the warranty is void. this reminds me of the BMX bikes that Haro used to make in the mid eighties- we all used them to huck our bike ten feet out of quarter pipes but they were not even made ready to race on dirt tracks. What is up Haro? I actually made my LBS (local bike shop) put a Tora U turn on it or I was getting my money back. They did it because I am an old Mountain Goat BMXer that will not be suckered after thirty years of BMX and MTB. But, I cry for all the young bucks who will have to upgrade from a 100 dollor shock to something that will actually handle the mountain, ten set of stairs, down hill run or the Xc ride. haro makes a great bike that was truly all mountain- until 2008. I get my 08 Escape comp back from the LBS tomorrow with the new Toro 302 and will post about how well the new rig handles at Fricke Park in Pittsburgh PA (my back yard). Peace, and ride bike, not trends.

Pity you couldn't get a run out 07 model like I did, although maybe you wanted the 08 for other reasons?

Sep 2007
    I don't know how to change the name of the thread?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jayrev67
    DHJILL,

Of course you make sense and your reasoning is very sound. Having lived and breather BMX for the past 30 years I know what you can get froma complete and what it takes to build up something that will be unbreakable. I really do think ya'all have done a great job (better in 07 than in 08) in spec' ing out your bikes. I actually bought the Escape comp instead of the Specialized P all mountian (which is 1300), however, because it had a tora 302 and not a mz race. Here is the big problem, regardless of how you balance out the parts. The fork is THE BIGGEST part on the bike, as you have said. And, when I got the bike home, and started to take off all the refelctors and stickers, I noticed a sticker on the fork- it said, this fork is intended for XC only. If it is ridden for dH, Freeride, Urban, or All Mountain, the warranty will be void. If you go to the Marz website, it tells you that the MZ race is strictly a XC fork. It is not designed for all mountain. Now, unless you all have changed your marketing, my understanding from the haro website and catalog, is tha tthe Haro Escape Comp is designed for jumping, all mountain, some Dirt jumping, and some urban. I do all this and that and I bought the bike, ultimately because Haro is so close to BMX. So, I think you guys have made a big mistake. I was willing to pay to fix it and will, of course replace a bunch of parts that could not fit into the complete package because you all need to make money- I am very cool with that. I guess to "put this to bed," I think a lot of riders are going to chose a different bike if the fork is not up to par, precisely because it is the biggest component, next to the frame, on the bike. Anyway, don't lose sleep over it. I still own a Haro, have been riding Haro stuff since Bob Haro was doing kick turn on wedge ramps in 1982, and will continue to support the company. Peace.
    I actually fired off an e-mail to my contact at Marzocchi to get their take.

My guess is this: many fork manufacturers (and bike manufacturers) have limitations in their warranties that exclude damage that results from racing, jumping, hucking, etc...etc...etc...on products that are positioned for those uses. I'll have to read the RockShox and Fox warranties, but I'd venture to say they may have similar exclusions on their products.

There was a similar discussion about this in another Haro thread, but take a look at a bike warranty (ours and others alike) and you'll see a similar exclusion. The reason for this is it offers protection to manufacturers in the instances where product has clearly been taken beyond it's limitations. After all, "jumping" is highly subjective. Let's take your Escape Comp, for example. If you jump it off of 6' drops, I'm confident it will be OK. Now if you jump it off a 2 story building and the bike breaks, that's a different story. In the latter case, the warranty exclusion gives the manufacturer a reason to decline offering warranty replacement in a situation where the product was taken beyond its limits.

Even the category of "all-mountain" is subjective and is splintering into little sub-categories. You've got AM that's skewed more towards gravity riding that might include skinnies, drops, stunts, and shore-type riding. Then you have AM that's more skewed towards XC.

I think Marzocchi may have had some issues in the past with people just hucking and jumping all of their forks since as a company, they position themselves more towards the gravity/aggressive end of the spectrum. Now, they take great measures to protect themselves by clearing outlining what each product is intended for.

mtbr member

Good job!

I know I got ones of the last 2 or 3 20 inch Comps left back in July and had to have it shipped out from Ohio (or some place like that).

I have found it to be a great bike!!! This being my first MTB I have had to do some adjusting (riding style and bike adjustments) to get it to "feel" perfect but I may have strange ideas about what perfect is.

I have replaced the fork spring (which RS shipped out for free ) and the stem. I felt I was between an 18" and a 20" (I'm 6' 215) but I went with the 20" on the advice of most the people I talked to and my LBS. I ended up feeling just a tad stretched out. I was used to riding BMX bikes and the "leaned" over position just did not suit me. I wanted a shorter stem so I wouldn’t feel so "out over the bars". The trick was to find one that was shorter but not lower as I did not want to be any more bent over then I already felt. I found one; it looks a little funny but rides almost perfectly for me. I can now stand and pedal which is something I found awkward before. I am now in a more upright position which may not be the "perfect" MTB position but it will work for me, until I gain more core strength and some skill. I also went with a heavier spring due to my weight, I was bottoming out on the old spring. It is definitely stiffer than before but by no means too stiff.

On my ride last night, after all the changes, I was my most comfortable I have been on a two hour ride.

And no i didn't hit and 6' jumps...mabye few 6" ones...
    Last edited by kidcurry73; 09-07-2007 at 01:33 PM.

Mtbr
    2007, all stock except for x.9 front and rear dérailleurs, two water bottle cages, and a seat bag. A new crank set and maybe some other things coming soon.

By dbo43867, shot with D-LUX2 at 2007-10-08
    Last edited by dbo43867; 10-15-2007 at 09:13 AM.

Mtbr
    One question, maybe a newb question. I have been dissapointed in the MZ Race rebound also, and was wondering, what do you mean a heavier coil that you got from rs? If this helps with rebound, I'm very interested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbo43867
    One question, maybe a newb question. I have been dissapointed in the MZ Race rebound also, and was wondering, what do you mean a heavier coil that you got from rs? If this helps with rebound, I'm very interested.
    Heavier spring rate. Most all forks come stock with medium springs in them that are suitable for riders of an "average" weight. Heavier or lighter than average riders or those who prefer a stiffer or plusher ride may opt to change their spring out for heavier or lighter spring rates.

Your spring rate doesn't affect rebound.

Sep 2007
    2007, all stock except for x.9 front and rear dérailleurs, two water bottle cages, and a seat bag. A new crank set and maybe some other things coming soon.

By dbo43867, shot with D-LUX2 at 2007-10-08
    Nice, looks the same as mine except yours looks like an 18 inch?

Can I ask, did you change those components straight away or did you get sick of the standard ones?

Thanks

Craig

Mtbr
    Hi, my name is Derek. I had a 2001 Jamis Eureka 14" before I got my escape, which I hardly rode, and when I finally got interested, it was way to small(14" versus the 20" I ride now). I got my Escape, and did some local trail riding on trails a little over my ability. I found the inability of the stock Alivio front dérailleur to shift accurately to be extremely annoying after the first few rides, and had plans to upgrade it to an X.9. On the same ride I decided this, I was riding through a cornfield in middle run, DE. I kind of skidded, and didn't really crash, but managed to slightly tilt the bike, and dismount it. When I got up, the cheap SX4 was broken. It would shift OK up through gear six(although there was constant noise)and then skip seven and go to eight. If you were in the eighth gear, it would ghost shift to eight, back to six, etc. I then decided to heck with it, and upgraded both dérailleur's. I am soon going to upgrade the crappy Truvative Iso Flow crank set after ridden a little hard in my POV. BTW, I got my X.9 deraileurs installed free by my LBS, which sold me this 07 closeout for $500. They only cost me $120 for the set, which I thought was a great price for a LBS to charge.

Regards,
    Derek
    2008 Rig

Sep 2007
    Hi, my name is Derek. I had a 2001 Jamis Eureka 14" before I got my escape, which I hardly rode, and when I finally got interested, it was way to small(14" versus the 20" I ride now). I got my Escape, and did some local trail riding on trails a little over my ability. I found the inability of the stock Alivio front dérailleur to shift accurately to be extremely annoying after the first few rides, and had plans to upgrade it to an X.9. On the same ride I decided this, I was riding through a cornfield in middle run, DE. I kind of skidded, and didn't really crash, but managed to slightly tilt the bike, and dismount it. When I got up, the cheap SX4 was broken. It would shift OK up through gear six(although there was constant noise)and then skip seven and go to eight. If you were in the eighth gear, it would ghost shift to eight, back to six, etc. I then decided to heck with it, and upgraded both dérailleur's. I am soon going to upgrade the crappy Truvative Iso Flow crank set after ridden a little hard in my POV. BTW, I got my X.9 deraileurs installed free by my LBS, which sold me this 07 closeout for $500. They only cost me $120 for the set, which I thought was a great price for a LBS to charge.

Regards,
    Derek

Hi Derek,

Thanks for the explanation, they annoy me a bit too, however I am waiting until they are adjusted because the bike is new to see if that helps, if not I will wait until/if something breaks and then replace it.

Also I still haven't tried to adjust my front brake that was rubbing, however it is only very very slight now for some reason.

I am pretty slack with maintenance unfortunately as I don't have much time, when I do I just want to ride

Thanks

Craig

Members who have read this thread: 0