07' Extreme X6 & Shift R3..Please Advise.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm 07' Extreme X6 & Shift R3..Please Advise.

Hi gurus,

Im getting either the X6 or the R3. Unfortunately the nearest shop that has the bikes is 500miles away so I don't get to test ride them. They have size 16" for the X6 and 18" for the R3 only. I'm 5ft11" and weigh 200lbs.

So which bike should I go for to suit me most? They told me that the 16" X6 should be fine,thus I ordered it. Am I doing the right thing? I need your advise guys. Thank you in advance.

mtbr member
    It will really depend on what type of riding you plan to do. If you plan to do gravity, urban, and slopestyle type stuff, the 16" will more than likely be good for you. Our slopestyle guys, Cam Zink and Eric Porter, are both about your height and ride the 16" size. If you plan to use this bike for trail riding, I think the 16" will be too small for you.

Good luck!

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006

16" Shift R3.

Hey Deto. I'm 5' 8" and my 16 inch Shift R3 fits like a glove. I'm way over weight at 240lbs and it's taken tons of abuse from my horrible choice of lines. I can't say anything about the Extreme as I've never rode one but I can tell you the R3 is worth every penny. I've put tons of miles on it both on the street and the trails and I haven't had to change one component yet with exception of the tires and some tubes. I've been thinking of changing some of the component but why should I when the current stock ones all work fine? The only thing I was ever concerned about was the Hayes MX3 brakes. I was worried that they wouldn't stop quick enough on down slopes with my weight but let me tell you they do. The front fork had never bottomed out and actually rides better now than when it was new. The rear shock feels plush and takes tons of punishment everytime I ride but still hangs in there. The frame hasn't shown any signs of stress and I'll bet it will last for years. The R3 has been the perfect bike for me. I hop on it, hit the trails, and never worry about anything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    im 5' 9" and ride a 16" x7. haro is one of our main dealers so I have a R3 and a x6 in the shop and I think that the R3 is not nearly as nice as a x6. also the x6 should be able to take more abuse

Just Joshin' ya!
    Now I know why you wanted to know how tall I was. We are in the same boat. 5'11", 200lbs. I would say 18 inch is going to be the best choice. I would go with an X6 over a Shift because the X6 can handle moderate (Anything bigger than 6 feet to a tranny is pushing it) jumps and light (light!) freeride. For the bigger stuff, the Werx 7 or X7 looks pretty sweet for not a lot of dough. The shift will be lighter, but you don't buy a Haro if you are a gram counter anyway!
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

mtbr member
    Thank you guys for your input.

downhilljill, im going to do some urban and trails too with this bike. So I'm hoping the bike will not be too small for me, at least small..

NMPhi767, what a coincidence to have same height and weight. I'll refer to you if anything goes wrong with my shocks,hahaha.

Others, I think I will settle with the X6. Now waiting for the bike to arrive..If I feel the bike is too small for me, I'll change it for the R3. I'll never go wrong with haro?Yea?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ok so looking at the geo. on the x6 I would say get the 18" for sure. the TT is 23" on the x6 and on my x7 16" the TT is 22.9" and I put a 70mm stem on there to get me a little more forward for AM rides. I am 200lbs so I can tell you that these frames arent the lightest but they do take a beating, thats for sure.

actually depending on what you ride, I would say get a X7. I put a swinger 4-way on there and the spv makes it pedal nice, very little bob if you stay seated. but if you stick to 5' and under drops then the x6 would be fine.

mtbr member
    Hi guys,

I got my X6 about a week ago but I didn't have the time to pay a visit here. The bike looks huge in real life and the size should do good for me. Well, the fork is kinda soft(coz I'm heavy) but Im just going to use it till I have enough $ to upgrade. Everything else looks good and works well except.......Im having a problem with the chain hitting the F.D badly (Alivio) when:

1. I use upper half of the cassette(5 above) with Big Chainring
    2. I use lower half of the cassette with Small Chainring

Anyone having this problem before and what can be done? The shop told me they have tried their best to solve it but still the problem persist. They suggest to change the F.D but why should I, its still new....

Help Gurus..thank you in advance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ok hold up...what??? FD's serve such a small task that even a $hit alivio one would work as good as a lx/xt. so you do not need a new one UNLESS its bent or F'ed up in shipping some how.

second why are you using the upper half or your cas. (22-32) in your big ring??? that has got to be a bad chainline and then small ring with (11-22) is another bad chainline..

big ring you use 11-22
    middle ring you use all rear gears
    small ring you use 22-32

let me guess though you are in the big ring and you are in the upper half of the rear gears as stated and your chain is slideing/grinding on the FD, right? thats because its a bad chainline. you should know this or your shop should have explained this to you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkyworks

second why are you using the upper half or your cas. (22-32) in your big ring??? that has got to be a bad chainline and then small ring with (11-22) is another bad chainline..

big ring you use 11-22
    middle ring you use all rear gears
    small ring you use 22-32
    Merky, thanks for your feedback. The X6 came with only 2 rings(24/36), so i just call it big&small, sorry my bad. Yes, you are right..its grinding on the FD. So I can only use the bigger(36) ring with lower gears and smaller ring(24) with high gears? That doesnt sound right to me...
    Last edited by Deto; 03-01-2007 at 07:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ok well them hmmmm....you "should" be able to use all the rear gears with your 36t ring. ill look at a R3 (assuming its the same chainline and what not) that we have on the floor today at work and see what i can figure out. a trick you might be able to do is open up the very outer end of the FD to allow for more chainlines. this is not the best way to fix things though. im willing to bet that the FD is angled some how and the shop is missing this.

mtbr member
    yeah, I'd agree with Merky. Your FD is just out of adjustment in some way, shape, or form. Your shop *should* be able to adjust the rubbing out. If you're shop can't do this, I'd take it to another Haro dealer than can. It's a simple adjustment.

mtbr member
    Merky, do let me know your findings. At the same time I'll look at it and see what I can do. Seems like the bracket is narrow and not much clearance for the chain. TQ

Jan 2007

Size?

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdude
    Hey Deto. I'm 5' 8" and my 16 inch Shift R3 fits like a glove.
    I just purchased an R3 about a month ago and got an 18". Im about 5'8", 5'9" 165... did i get the wrong size? Bike feels fine to me but this is my first FS.

mtbr member
    I dont know abt others but im happy with the 16", I dont think I can go bigger, big enough for me.The standover is just nice for me. my $0.02

mtbr member
    Regarding the F.D issue. I adjusted the F.D and placed it lower. The chain does not grind on the F.D that much but I still do get some grinding on extreme gears on the sides of the FD(Previously at the bottom and sides). Gears that will cause grinding:

1-6
    1-7
    1-8(worst)
    2-1(Worst)
    2-2
    2-3
    2-4(slightly)

anything else should I do? or I'll have to get the guy to adjust the FD when my 1st service is due. Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Front derailleur adjustment can be really tricky. Like I said before, I would seriously take it back to the shop you purchased it at and have them adjust it since it's never been right from the day you bought it. I know you said they told you it's the best they can do, but that's not right. Maybe that's the best that particular mechanic can do; if this is a reputable shop, there's bound to be another wrench there who can adjust it for you. Chances are, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your FD mechanically; it's just not adjusted right. Over time, cables stretch and force your derailleurs out of whack, but it sounds like the bike had FD issues from day one. If this shop can't do it, I'd take my business elsewhere.

mtbr member
    thanks Jill for your firm reply. I'll try to get it fixed together with the shocks/spring issue on the other thread. Do share ur oppinion if u have any. Thanks again.

Apr 2007
    I think you could have went smaller i am 6 foot and i ride an 18" it gives me the right force for pedaling, but some people may be different but i asked a owner of the bike shop before i bought it he is my height and i almost went to a 20" he told me not to and the owner of the rides a 18" and i talked to a real good rider right before i bought my shift r3 he rides a 16" and is your height. but i also put another $1000 in mine like a month after i bought it so mine might feel different than yours, sorry i know it feels different and is 4 1/2 pounds light.

mtbr member
    Walter,

Mind showing us your latest machine? Thirsty.....

Apr 2007

my bike

here is a pic of my bike with new forks, shock, handlebars, seat and pedals it is a 2007 haro shift R3
    Attached Images Attached Images

Apr 2007
    i post a pic of my bike on here some where for you deto still learning how to use this sight sorry.

mtbr member
    Walter, that bike looks yummy!

Apr 2007
    thanks i have been happy with it i think in a few years i might go to the sonix LT thou.

mtbr member
    Sweet! That pearl white color looks awesome.

Members who have read this thread: 0