02-05 Extreme shock interchangeability- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

02-05 Extreme shock interchangeability

Did the earlier Extremes (02-03) run the same stroke and i2i as the 04 and 05 5/6" travel versions of the Extreme?

Chris

mtbr member
    No. 2002 and 2003 Extremes had a 190 eye-to-eye length. 2004 Extremes were 200mm; 2005 Extreme X1 and X2 used 200mm; the X3 used 240mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks Jill! I was looking at picking up a different shock, but the measurements seemed off based upon the frame it was coming from. That explains why. The 05 X3 was longer stroke too, correct?, but the 02-04 and 05 x1 and X2s were all 2" stroke? If so, what are your thoughts on running a 190mm i2i shock on an 05 x1? It would bring the rear wheel .375" closer to the seat tube at rest and at full compression in either the 5 or 6" mode correct? This would be compared to the .625 closer a 200mm x 2.25"stroke shock would put the tire at max travel in the 5" mode which is rumored to work without rubbing; and .750" closer at max travel in the 6" mode which does seem to rub with certain tires/rider experiences.

The reason I was asking was not because I can't find the 200mm i2i shock, but because in theory, the shorter shock would slack the bike out a little, drop the standover, and lower the BB height a touch. Normally, I could just mount a 200mm shock without a coil on the bike, and take some measurements at various travel settings and positions, then add in the .375 difference and know what would happen. But my frame disassembled for powdercoating, and I didn't want to miss the opportunity to snatch up the shorter i2i shock if it would work. Any further insight or measurements between the tire and seat tube on an 05 x1 with the shock completely bottomed,noting the tire make/model/size, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

mtbr member
    It will likely cause your tire to buzz the seatpost even with such a short distance. You really need to stick with a 200mm eye-to-eye length.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks Jill!

Chris

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

190mm i2i doesnt really work...

i measured that... it doesnt work. it probably would with a 24 wheel, but that would put the rear end too low, spoiling geometry and hitting pedals on stuff...

6 inch mode - bumper not compressed, tire hiting the frame already!!!

5 inch mode

Darn pinkbike virtual stickers...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for the pics. That definitely puts an end to that. I snagged a 5th w/2" stroke a couple of days ago, so I'm going to play around with the bike in 5" mode (so I don't have to run such a stiff spring to overcome the 6" mode leverage ratio) and dial in some end of stroke compression dampening to add progressivity to compensate for lack of travel.

For those looking, Santa Cruz has some Swinger 3 way Airs in the appropriate i2i and stroke on their $99 shock blowout page.

Chris

mtbr member
    May 2005

Shock Positions

Can someone confirm which shock position = which travel length?

I have a 2nd hand repainted 04 X3, I thought the bottom position was for 5" travel?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Top hole is for 5", bottom hole is for 6".

Members who have read this thread: 0