Where did I read about moving parts from GG alum to their carbon frames?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Where did I read about moving parts from GG alum to their carbon frames?

On my phone right now and canít find a thread I thought I read here on what parts can simply swap over from the aluminum smash to a carbon smash. Anyone know what thread that was in? Iíll search harder when on a real computer.

And also I canít find a thread on the carbon smash size 4 versus alum smash xl and xxl. Anyone know where that is?

Or maybe I read these somewhere else...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    They have commented. Basically it all fits. Just not the rear shock. You need a new one (or to remove the spacers on yours if you can) and new rear shock hardware.

Everything else fits.

If you are on the Facebook GG group there is some discussion there too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishrising View Post
    And also I canít find a thread on the carbon smash size 4 versus alum smash xl and xxl. Anyone know where that is?

Or maybe I read these somewhere else...
    Sizing discussion from GG: https://ridegg.com/revvedsizingguide

If you are into the top end of their frame sizing call Bobby at GG. He's REALLY tall and can fill you in on how the Size 4 fits. Also note the Size 4 molds are not fabricated so there may be adjustments and your input might make a difference so talk to them.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

If you are into the top end of their frame sizing call Bobby at GG. He's REALLY tall and can fill you in on how the Size 4 fits. Also note the Size 4 molds are not fabricated so there may be adjustments and your input might make a difference so talk to them.
    Bobby and I are both 6'9" and we got the last 2 XXL Smash frames in Aluminum. I have a hard time thinking a size 4 would fit us. XXL Al reach and stack are 530mm and 685mm, a size 4 long is 506mm and 649mm. I know I couldn't take and inch away from either and be comfortable, not since the XXL fits like a glove. I hope they do a small run of size 5's to fit us "Gorillas" who were drawn to the brand for their big sizes in the first place.

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nolan17 View Post
    Bobby and I are both 6'9" and we got the last 2 XXL Smash frames in Aluminum. I have a hard time thinking a size 4 would fit us. XXL Al reach and stack are 530mm and 685mm, a size 4 long is 506mm and 649mm. I know I couldn't take and inch away from either and be comfortable, not since the XXL fits like a glove. I hope they do a small run of size 5's to fit us "Gorillas" who were drawn to the brand for their big sizes in the first place.

-Nolan
    I recall reading Bobby post on FB that he was making sure a Size 4 would work for him, but best speak to him to get the details and not trust my memory.

With carbon frames and the requite expensive molds making a small run of frames would be huge $$. That said there were no more XXL metal frames happening either since the special tubing for them was used up and no more was being ordered...again due to economy of scale issues.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    When you look at the sizing chart - on GGs website. Size 4 long is equivalent to old XL. So, they aren't saying that Size 4 is expected to fit like an old XXL.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I recall reading Bobby post on FB that he was making sure a Size 4 would work for him, but best speak to him to get the details and not trust my memory.

With carbon frames and the requite expensive molds making a small run of frames would be huge $$. That said there were no more XXL metal frames happening either since the special tubing for them was used up and no more was being ordered...again due to economy of scale issues.
    I agree there won't be many XXL's out in the wild, maybe 15 total(?). The cool part of the carbon frames is it does fit their whole line of fs bikes. So there could be a slight possibility of them (fingers crossed) machining a XL/size 5 mold out wayyy down the road once they have all their current orders filled and a good stock of frames. Maybe a certain amount of pre-orders with deposits paid before that happens. If it were any other bike company I wouldn't have any hope but GG is a really cool company so I do have some faith that they could come through.

Cassieno - yes I agree the size 4 won't fit us really tall guys, maybe Bobby could chime in on his experience between the Al XXL and size 4 long. Bottom line its an inch shorter reach so that wouldn't work for me at least. I still love my xxl Smash and will ride it for several years to come. However if GG does come out with a size 5 I will have some tough choices to make.

My $0.02

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Thanks all! Iím 6í7Ē but have a longer upper half than my lower half [33Ē pants inseam]. I have an XL aluminum smash and feel like Iím at the top end of it fit wise [7í-ish wing span]. Just trying to decide to make the change to a XL carbon one.

Your bike sucks

^ this is good info btw. Sort of a carry over from a different thread... but there was a discussion about us folks who are around 6'1'' being sized on the 3. I went to GG and tried out a 3 (not the model I'm looking at tho) and I felt it was too short in the long position even with a longer stem. GG was helpful and I took some measurements and basically the TT length (specifically where I put my hands) is well over an 1'' (closer to 1.5'') shorter than my current gold standard for fit. That means size 4 in short position for my desired starting point - going to the long position in a 4 isn't out of the question.

Long story, longer -> the rev size guide link matches w/ my experience... the size 4 molds are not done yet. So this extends my frame target date quite a bit so I'm letting it all digest before I place an order.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    ^ this is good info btw. Sort of a carry over from a different thread... but there was a discussion about us folks who are around 6'1'' being sized on the 3. I went to GG and tried out a 3 (not the model I'm looking at tho) and I felt it was too short in the long position even with a longer stem. GG was helpful and I took some measurements and basically the TT length (specifically where I put my hands) is well over an 1'' (closer to 1.5'') shorter than my current gold standard for fit. That means size 4 in short position for my desired starting point - going to the long position in a 4 isn't out of the question.

Long story, longer -> the rev size guide link matches w/ my experience... the size 4 molds are not done yet. So this extends my frame target date quite a bit so I'm letting it all digest before I place an order.
    This is good to know thanks on the sizing input for us 6'1" people. My current large Smash fits PERFECT (stack and reach) with a 50mm stem. I have a deposit down on a size 3 TP but I just don't see how it is going to fit well comparing to my L Smash. GG told me size 3 but to get the stack/bars high enough I will need to also run a long 70 or 80mm stem to equal out the reach.

I am still pondering but probably will cancel my order for the size 3 as it just seams to be too small for a 6'1" knuckle-dragger like myself.

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by pryde1 View Post
    I just don't see how it is going to fit well comparing to my L Smash. GG told me size 3 but to get the stack/bars high enough I will need to also run a long 70 or 80mm stem to equal out the reach.
    No problem. I hope it works out for you (us!). Ha. I'm sure you saw the rev guidelines now: old: Large (L) New: S4, Short.

I can only speak for myself - it's fit after all...but my current bike has a ETT prob just under 26''...Going to a bike with a ETT of 24.6 and trying to compensate w/ a 60mm+ stem is completely the wrong direction for me; I wouldn't be happy with that fit.. Even when I look that the rev guidelines the pic they use shows a rider in a position that simply wouldn't work for me - way too close in and upright. Everyone's different tho.