To Trust or not to Trust on my Pistola- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,757

    To Trust or not to Trust on my Pistola

    So, I got a Pistola build coming, I was gonna build it up as an ultralight using an SC34 120/DPS Evol, but I got to thinking about the Trust forks (again) after riding the Shout at Outerbike.

    I know, they look like hell; damn preying mantis, but they really do ride well for certain applications.

    The Pistola is going to be be my all day epic ride, multi day, and flow trail bike. I have a Shred Dogg for bigger stuff. Though honestly, Iíll probably the crap outta the the Pistola cuz thatís how it goes 😊

    Option 1: Fox SC 34 120
    Option 2: Fox 34 130/140
    Option: Trust Performance Message

    I got lots of shock options including a Bomber CR Coil, DPX2, and the non reservoir DPS.
    GG Megatrail 27.5 (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wife's)

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smmokan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,037
    If you really want it as a super-light marathon bike, then I'd go with a SC 120mm up front.

    And yeah, that Trust fork turns every bike into the ugliest thing I've ever seen. I don't care how awesome it is.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,428
    I don't think I could do it, just too expensive for me. It doesn't look too bad compared to other linkage forks, but it's definitely got the look only a mother could love.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,757
    Yup, but if I keep it inside my van and ride it fast when in public, I might be able to avoid excessive ridicule
    GG Megatrail 27.5 (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wife's)

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,428
    If I had ridden one and really liked it, I could be convinced to throw what I said in my previous post in the trash.

    But this fork violates rule #2 and possibly rule #1.

    Rule #1 - Never purchase first run product.

    Rule #2 - Never purchase weird shit or from obscure small brands.

    I've gone down the weird & oddball small brand road in the past, it seems to bite me in the butt every time. Whether it's product support or resale. In some circumstances there can be exceptions though.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,757
    True, but the second fork has been released, so itís no longer new, do tile 1 may not be valid.

    As for resale, there are few used, so resale should good as long as I donít buy high.





    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    If I had ridden one and really liked it, I could be convinced to throw what I said in my previous post in the trash.

    But this fork violates rule #2 and possibly rule #1.

    Rule #1 - Never purchase first run product.

    Rule #2 - Never purchase weird shit or from obscure small brands.

    I've gone down the weird & oddball small brand road in the past, it seems to bite me in the butt every time. Whether it's product support or resale. In some circumstances there can be exceptions though.
    GG Megatrail 27.5 (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wife's)

  7. #7
    Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Reputation: alexbn921's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,306
    I didnít like the trust fork. Was way to rough on landing and chudder.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,757
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    I didnít like the trust fork. Was way to rough on landing and chudder.
    Thatís kinda where Iím stuck, I think the fork will work great for some stuff (carving, flow) but will it work okay for playing on the trail and going fast through junk.

    If you could get one used for $1000, would you buy it?
    GG Megatrail 27.5 (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wife's)

  9. #9
    cmg
    cmg is online now
    passed out in your garden
    Reputation: cmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,495
    Im pretty sure ld throw up a little in my mouth everytime l went into the garage and saw it.......
    always mad and usually drunk......

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,757
    Too funny 🥴
    GG Megatrail 27.5 (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wife's)

  11. #11
    Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Reputation: alexbn921's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Thatís kinda where Iím stuck, I think the fork will work great for some stuff (carving, flow) but will it work okay for playing on the trail and going fast through junk.

    If you could get one used for $1000, would you buy it?
    No. If it was the fork on my only bike, I wouldn't take it if it was free. I did a pretty good demo on it at sea otter and it was a love/hate affair.

    Loved how stiff it was, how it tracked and how it plowed threw incoming hits like magic.

    Hated that it still bobbed, was heavy and beat the utter crap out of me unless I put all of my weight on the bars. It felt fully locked if you tried to loft your wheel thru a rock garden or landed a jump rear wheel first. It need to be ridden differently and they got the angle of activation wrong. The punishment from that one ride was enough for me. Also servicing/getting parts for the fork seems limited at this point.

    The Motion e18 fork on the other hand is ready for prime time and I liked it much better.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Wayndar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    720
    My alu Pistola is built with an MRP Ribbon 140 and I think it is perfect- your Fox 34 130/140 would be my choice, but I'm not counting grams anymore and am in it for the fun, big all day rides.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,757
    So I went with the consensus, turned down the offer, but the fundamental reason was more in line with what old house man said: donít buy first run products from new companies.

    The first Trust fork, the Message, is a good riding fork, BUT itís got some issues with damping and small bump compliance. Iím sure it would be a awesome handling fork for some conditions, like carving flow at speed, but for my use (epics with tech and chunder) itís just not gonna be all the supple and Iíll likely get beat to hell.

    So Iím waiting for the Message to get reworked.

    In the meantime Iíll ride the SC34 120 with a tall lower cup and the long stroke DPS Evol out back; a lightweight brawler. Iíll probably get a Fox 34 130/140 if I can sell the SC34.

    Thanks for the thought!
    GG Megatrail 27.5 (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wife's)

  14. #14
    Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    Reputation: azfishman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    311
    Mikesee has a pretty extensive write up on his lacemine29 blog about the Trust. They gave him a first run fork and he is super meticulous and documented the shit out of his experience. Trust basically told him he wasn't setting it up correctly or that he might not know what he was doing. I personally would tend to believe Mr. Curiak, as his experience pretty much dwarfs most everyone. And I also agree with the first run thing. I do like supporting innovation and folks that are pushing the status quo, like GG back in early 2014 when I ordered a Megatrail sight unseen. So while it may be a great option, price and unfortunately looks would keep me on a Fox/Pike. I'd rather spend some extra$ and ship the suspension off to a custom tune, where I believe the best cost/benefit ratio exists.

    YMMV
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smmokan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    So I went with the consensus, turned down the offer, but the fundamental reason was more in line with what old house man said: donít buy first run products from new companies.

    The first Trust fork, the Message, is a good riding fork, BUT itís got some issues with damping and small bump compliance. Iím sure it would be a awesome handling fork for some conditions, like carving flow at speed, but for my use (epics with tech and chunder) itís just not gonna be all the supple and Iíll likely get beat to hell.

    So Iím waiting for the Message to get reworked.

    In the meantime Iíll ride the SC34 120 with a tall lower cup and the long stroke DPS Evol out back; a lightweight brawler. Iíll probably get a Fox 34 130/140 if I can sell the SC34.

    Thanks for the thought!
    Good choice. Now your friends won't be embarrassed to be seen with you on the trails.



  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,757
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Good choice. Now your friends won't be embarrassed to be seen with you on the trails.


    Yeah, there's that ....
    GG Megatrail 27.5 (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wife's)

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    But this fork violates rule #2 and possibly rule #1.

    Rule #1 - Never purchase first run product.

    Rule #2 - Never purchase weird shit or from obscure small brands.
    Do you own or are you planning to buy a revved bike because it sounds like it would violate your rules.

Similar Threads

  1. My new Guerrilla Gravity Pistola
    By Sparticus in forum Guerrilla Gravity
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-27-2017, 10:44 AM
  2. Pistola
    By shortribs_nyc in forum Salsa
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-17-2013, 09:28 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2011, 09:06 AM
  4. Salsa Pistola
    By Platteville Rider in forum Salsa
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 04:34 PM
  5. Podio and Pistola Are Off The Menu
    By Dajianshan in forum Salsa
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 08:30 AM

Members who have read this thread: 16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.