Smashing Vancouver Island!- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

Smashing Vancouver Island!

I figured I would start my own build thread so I can spew and keep all my stuff organized. I'm not sure if my bike will be the first GG on Vancouver Island, but I have never seen one here on the trails or even whizzing past on a car.

I've been interested in trying out a 29er FS trail bike since back in 2013. I actually placed an order with Lenz at the time [also CO based handmade AL bikes!], but there was like a 4 month+ wait because they were making snow bikes at the time and I didn't want to wait so I got distracted with a couple 27.5ers in the intervening years. This year I decided I would finally get myself rolling on a 29er and after looking at lots and lots of options settled on the GG Smash.

I posted a bunch of reasons why I decided on the Smash over at my blog so I won't repeat it all here. The Coles Notes version is that there are a bunch of amazing 29er options available these days, but GG has just hit the sweet spot with so many of the things that are important to me.

I ordered the Race build with some tweaks:

- medium Smash in white w/ black decals
    - MRP Ribbon air fork 46mm offset w/ bolt on axle
    - SD RCT coil
    - SRAM GX Eagle drivetrain
    - MRP XCG bashguard
    - 9.8 dropper w/ setback head
    - Conti Trail King 2.4" tires
    - extra water bottle mounts under DT
    - the rest all stock Race build

I ride a lot. Mostly on Vancouver Island where I live [steep techy slower riding], a bunch on the closer parts of mainland BC [steep techy faster riding] and then in the fall/winter I travel to UT & AZ to ride. I don't shuttle or ride bike parks. So I need a bike that goes up well and comes down like a champ. Burly enough not to be fragile, but not so heavy that 4hrs into an alpine ride I want to throw the bike off a cliff.

I'm also getting older [gasp!] and the main limiting factor in how much I can ride is how beat up my body gets. Especially on road trips when we are shredding every day for 2-3 weeks.

I'm thinking the Smash will fit the bill for all these ^^^ requirements. Fun, versatile, comfortable for day after day in chunk without being too much of a big bike to enjoy climbing or long all day rides.

I'm 5'11" with a 33" pants inseam. Looking at the sizing chart I seem to be right between a medium and a large. Since my home trails are slow and techy I went medium. I'll also be using a 1" setback dropper since my body doesn't love being too far forward compared to the BB and I don't mind sliding forward on the saddle for really steep climbs. If I lived in the desert I would have probably tried a large.

Here are the 29ers I have considered in my quest, but decided to get the Smash:

- Evil Wreck
    - Evil The Following
    - Lenz 'Moth
    - Lenz Lunchbox
    - Pivot Switchblade
    - Canfield Riot
    - Transition Sentinnel
    - Rocky Instinct
    - SC Hightower
    - SC Hightower LT
    - Orbea Rallon
    - Knolly Fugitive
    - Norco Sight
    - Trek Slash
    - YT Jefsy
    Let's be honest. It's not a bad time to be in the market for a 29er!

Since I wanted the extra bottle mounts under the DT I need to wait for the next production run of front triangles and then wait until my frame can get in for its PC plus shipping to the Great White North. So I figure 5-7 weeks until I have that bad boy in my hands.

That's okay it's pretty sloppy here in the PNWet so I think getting a new ride just as it starts to dry out here is actually pretty perfect.
    Last edited by vikb; 01-11-2018 at 05:38 PM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I see you went with the 46mm offset instead of the usual 51mm, what was your reasoning? Pretty sure you didn't flip a coin.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I see you went with the 46mm offset instead of the usual 51mm, what was your reasoning? Pretty sure you didn't flip a coin.
    It's a small change, but I figured it might enhance slow speed steering doing the South Island rock crawl.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I've read that, and at a LBS it brought out a loud tirade against less offset. I will probably try it if I get a Ribbon in the future.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    I've read that, and at a LBS it brought out a loud tirade against less offset. I will probably try it if I get a Ribbon in the future.
    I could be wrong. I don't claim to be an expert and the only way I'd know for sure is to try both offsets back to back, which doesn't seem super likely. On the plus side it's unlikely to be a huge impact either way so it won't wreck the bike if I goofed.

OTOH I trust most LBS less for technical advice than my own opinion.

I'm also considering a -0.5 deg or -1 deg adjustment to the HTA, but I figured I will ride it stock first and then see if I still feel the urge.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks for starting this thread and for sharing your blog post, Vik. Iím looking at getting a Smash as well, but going to wait until I can visit GG in a bit over a month. Why did you decide on the Smash vs one of the carbon bikes or another aluminum made in North America?

Also, I currently live in Oregon, but Iím moving to Orange County this summer. What changes do you plan on making (tires, shocks, etc) when you head to AZ/UT?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for your write up. I look forward to your full review after you get your bike. I'm currently building a Hightower LT and I'm considering a MRP Ribbon coil with the 46mm offset for the same reasons (better slow speed tech maneuvering).

mtbr member
    Sweet, how long till your smashing?
    Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead XL
    Guerrilla Gravity The Smash XL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steeple View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread and for sharing your blog post, Vik. Iím looking at getting a Smash as well, but going to wait until I can visit GG in a bit over a month. Why did you decide on the Smash vs one of the carbon bikes or another aluminum made in North America?

Also, I currently live in Oregon, but Iím moving to Orange County this summer. What changes do you plan on making (tires, shocks, etc) when you head to AZ/UT?
    A little background I'm an engineer and I'm currently doing QC/QA work an aerospace composites company. I'm not a materials guy by training, but I have now worked a lot with carbon, fibreglass, steel and aluminum. I've owned bikes out of all the main materials but Ti.

When thinking about AL vs. carbon I have no specific preference. If you make an amazing carbon bike I am stoked about I'll buy it. Same goes with AL. Lately I've noticed that the carbon bikes I was looking at don't offer a huge weight advantage over the AL bikes I was looking at. For FS bikes I have not noticed a ride quality difference in materials between carbon and AL. So when it came to making this particular choice I didn't have any carbon bikes I was super keen on that made me want to pay an extra $1K. I didn't see the value proposition.

My next bike could be carbon though. I'm not against it.

As for other North American AL bikes the only other one that's crossed my path are the Lenz bikes also handmade in CO. I tried to buy one back in Dec 2013. But at the time they were gearing up for ski bike production so it would be months of waiting. In the meantime I got distracted by another bike and bought it instead. This time around I considered Lenz again, but a number of my preferences have changed and they weren't such a great fit for me.

I wanted:

- to fit a reservoir shock + water bottle in the frame
    - fit a 2.4" Conti Trail King in the rear with short CS
    - get a longer reach [~18.3" or longer]
    - slacker HTA

This ^^ doesn't mesh well with what Lenz is offering and trying to get them to make the bike I want would be pretty much going full custom. I don't know that they want to do that, I didn't want to be the guinea pig for a prototype design and I didn't want to pay $$ for full custom.

By comparison the Smash checks all my boxes. I'd like it to be a touch slacker in the HTA, but I'm starting with a 150mm fork and if I feel the urge I'll use an angleset type headset to make it slacker.

I'm not aware of another NA FS bike manufacturer that fits my bill, but I'm not an expert on the topic. I ran into GG on the MTBR 29er forum in a TP thread that's why I know they exist.

Heading to AZ/UT I have no plans to change anything. My fav tires Conti Trail Kings in 2.4" width do awesome at home and in the desert. I'm also a bit lazy so I tend to find one setup that works well everywhere and then I don't mess with it much. I sort of feel like being really familiar with a bike/setup gains you more than you would get with a more location optimizes setup and having to figure it out on the fly as you ride.

One thing I may change is that depending how I feel about the SD RCT coil I may get an air shock as well. Less likely, but I may try the switching the Ribbon to coil as well. If I had money to burn [which I don't!] I suppose one switch going down to AZ/UT I could make is running air at home and then coil at one or both ends in the desert. Speeds are faster in the desert and trails are chunkier. I'm also riding once or more each day for 2-3 weeks at a shot so comfort and avoiding RSIs is key for me. Coil might do that better.

I like running lower pressures at home I'm at ~19psi FR/~21psi RR at 200lbs riding weight with 2.4" tires on 32mm internal width rims. I have to add a bit more pressure in the desert....particularly the rear so if I was flatting more than occasionally I'd consider a Huck Norris type insert in the rear. So far it has not been enough of a problem to go there.

But like I said I am lazy so if both is good for the desert I may well be happy to run it everywhere just so I don't have to change anything.

Anyway I hope that reply was useful. I'm really picky with my bikes. I looked into GG a lot and so far my stoke levels are high. Of course it all comes down to how I feel in the saddle!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons View Post
    Thanks for your write up. I look forward to your full review after you get your bike. I'm currently building a Hightower LT and I'm considering a MRP Ribbon coil with the 46mm offset for the same reasons (better slow speed tech maneuvering).
    Cool. Fire me a PM when you have been riding a little with the 46mm offset Ribbon. It would be good to bounce some ideas/observations back and forth.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMDirtFace View Post
    Sweet, how long till your smashing?
    My guess is I will get the bike here in Canada by end Feb and get it setup in early March. I've got a desert road trip planned for 2 weeks in March/April to go to a Knolly brand gathering in UT. I'm not sure if I'll take two bikes or just ride the Knolly.

I really like to spend time getting a bike dialled before I commit to riding it as my main rig. It makes my friends crazy when I have a new bike at home and I am riding the old one on our group rides since they want to see the fresh bling. But I just like to go slow and steady doing solo rides with a new bike until I have everything sorted.

So my plan is to hang up my other bike [Knolly Endorphin] in early April and ride the Smash exclusively for the rest of 2018.

I asked for an extra set of bottle mounts under the DT. That means I can't have one of the existing stock front triangles as they are already heat treated. So my frame will get built up with the next batch of Smash/MT/SD frames. I also asked for white PC so I imagine it makes sense for GG to gather up a few orders of white frames and get the PCing done at the same time.

That's okay. It will be worth the wait and I live in the PNWet and having one bike trashed in winter conditions each year seems like enough. By the time I get the Smash rolling things will be drying up nicely here.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I have a dealer local to me. I'm hoping to get a ride on the Smash this summer. In the meantime, I will be interested to hear your thoughts on this bike. From reading other threads, it seems like you were a little apprehensive of these longer bikes on your local tight and twisty trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I have a dealer local to me. I'm hoping to get a ride on the Smash this summer. In the meantime, I will be interested to hear your thoughts on this bike. From reading other threads, it seems like you were a little apprehensive of these longer bikes on your local tight and twisty trails.
    You are lucky to have a GG dealer close at hand. Congrats! Let me know what you think when you get a demo in.

Yes going longer took some mental effort as our local trails are tight and twisty slow speed techy affairs. Going from my previous bike to my current bike the Reach increased by 2" and the WB by ~1.3". That extra length has definitely taken away some of the playfulness and agility I liked, but I've been able to go faster than ever and that's been fun. I should also note when you are going fast the longer bike starts to get playful and poppy it just needs more velocity.

I can still get around all the tight tech with my longer bike, but it does take some extra effort/thought.

The Smash is the same Reach as my current bike and will have a ~1" longer WB. I'm not sure how I'll feel about that extra 1" of length on our local trails. Maybe it will be just fine or maybe I won't love it. There are no GG demos out here so I am taking a chance. That's also why I went medium instead of large.

That said I travel to lots of spots that are faster and more open...heck almost anywhere is faster and more open than my South Vancouver Island trails. So even if the Smash is not as good for the trails 15mins from my door I suspect it will be rad when I leave town.

I'm working PT at the moment 3 days a week so I have time to road trip and I hope to retire in the next few years. That will give me even more travel time. So having a local bike and a travel bike would be okay.

Like I noted above when I travel I ride a lot of back to back days. Usually something like a tendon in my elbow, my triceps insertion or my lower back gets mad at me long before my fitness runs out. In getting the Smash I was thinking 29er wheels and longer suspension might help take the edge off how beat up my body gets on long road trips. Nothing I hate worse than taking a "rest day" when there are amazing trails I've never ridden just waiting for me to start pedalling.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Assuming you're in my general area (Portland) which bike shop? Google gives me Mocean 365 but not sure if that's a physical location. Be cool to check one out.

Vikb,
    i've considered just about every bike on your list as well. Currently have a following but want something longer, deeper sus, slacker, and steeper seat tube. It's a heck of a lot to wade through and consider to make a decision. Must feel good to finally make that decision and pull the trigger! So congratulations on that and I look forward to some ride reports. I'm still waffling between the smash and rallon which are very similar geo wise (xl rallon to l smash). Cheers.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Lately I've noticed that the carbon bikes I was looking at don't offer a huge weight advantage over the AL bikes I was looking at. For FS bikes I have not noticed a ride quality difference in materials between carbon and AL. So when it came to making this particular choice I didn't have any carbon bikes I was super keen on that made me want to pay an extra $1K. I didn't see the value proposition.
    This is a nice summary of why I keep choosing AL bikes. I donít have anything against carbon bikes (I owned a Ripley prior to my GG) but the price premium just doesnít seem worth it if there is a comparable AL frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Anyway I hope that reply was useful. I'm really picky with my bikes. I looked into GG a lot and so far my stoke levels are high. Of course it all comes down to how I feel in the saddle!
    Your reply was useful, thank you Vik!

mtbr member
    You are lucky to have a GG dealer close at hand. Congrats! Let me know what you think when you get a demo in.

Yes going longer took some mental effort as our local trails are tight and twisty slow speed techy affairs. Going from my previous bike to my current bike the Reach increased by 2" and the WB by ~1.3". That extra length has definitely taken away some of the playfulness and agility I liked, but I've been able to go faster than ever and that's been fun. I should also note when you are going fast the longer bike starts to get playful and poppy it just needs more velocity.

I can still get around all the tight tech with my longer bike, but it does take some extra effort/thought.

The Smash is the same Reach as my current bike and will have a ~1" longer WB. I'm not sure how I'll feel about that extra 1" of length on our local trails. Maybe it will be just fine or maybe I won't love it. There are no GG demos out here so I am taking a chance. That's also why I went medium instead of large.

That said I travel to lots of spots that are faster and more open...heck almost anywhere is faster and more open than my South Vancouver Island trails. So even if the Smash is not as good for the trails 15mins from my door I suspect it will be rad when I leave town.

I'm working PT at the moment 3 days a week so I have time to road trip and I hope to retire in the next few years. That will give me even more travel time. So having a local bike and a travel bike would be okay.

Like I noted above when I travel I ride a lot of back to back days. Usually something like a tendon in my elbow, my triceps insertion or my lower back gets mad at me long before my fitness runs out. In getting the Smash I was thinking 29er wheels and longer suspension might help take the edge off how beat up my body gets on long road trips. Nothing I hate worse than taking a "rest day" when there are amazing trails I've never ridden just waiting for me to start pedalling.
    Thanks, I do enjoy reading your impressions. I can't say that I always agree, but you certainly seem honest and your point is always clear.

I'm not in a hurry for a new bike, so it won't be until this summer before I get a chance to ride the Smash. Hopefully I can get the bike for a long weekend to ride a few of my regular trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Assuming you're in my general area (Portland) which bike shop? Google gives me Mocean 365 but not sure if that's a physical location. Be cool to check one out.
    The shop is in Longview, Washington. Proper Cycle Werks. I don't know them personally, but I've ridden with them over the years, they're nice guys. Growlers Gulch is just north of Longview, if they can't show you around the trails, I'm sure they could arrange for someone to give you a tour.

Growlers Gulch has a good mix of trails that would be a good test for the Smash. There not exactly fast, but there are some fairly big climbs. The downs are mostly tight and twisty. They have been adding faster trails over the last several years. Last I heard there are 40ish miles of trail.

mtbr member
    The shop is in Longview, Washington. Proper Cycle Werks. I don't know them personally, but I've ridden with them over the years, they're nice guys. Growlers Gulch is just north of Longview, if they can't show you around the trails, I'm sure they could arrange for someone to give you a tour.

Growlers Gulch has a good mix of trails that would be a good test for the Smash. There not exactly fast, but there are some fairly big climbs. The downs are mostly tight and twisty. They have been adding faster trails over the last several years. Last I heard there are 40ish miles of trail.
    Ok, cool. Never been to that shop. I've ridden growlers a couple times or should say tried to. Always get the feeling I'm not finding the goods. Need to hook up those guys when they do the group rides one of these days.

mtbr member
    Ok, cool. Never been to that shop. I've ridden growlers a couple times or should say tried to. Always get the feeling I'm not finding the goods. Need to hook up those guys when they do the group rides one of these days.
    "I'm not finding the goods" is a good way to describe Growlers. I do like the trails for what they are, but I usually ride my rigid SS. There are some really pedal-ly trails that I don't enjoy, so it is worth finding someone to follow that knows the area well.

mtbr member
    I'm still waffling between the smash and rallon which are very similar geo wise (xl rallon to l smash). Cheers.
    If my info is correct the Rallon is twice the price of the Smash in terms of frame vs. frame cost....not sure about the build prices. The Rallon does look really pretty, but if that price differential is correct ouch!

I also like riding bikes where I can get easy/fast support. GG wins on that count.

But ya I can see the appeal of the Rallon it's a stunner and the reviews I've read are solid.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Thanks, I do enjoy reading your impressions. I can't say that I always agree, but you certainly seem honest and your point is always clear.
    Thanks. Thing is there are so many different places to rides and styles of riders out there that it's not surprising folks don't agree. That's cool. Variety is the spice of life!

My opinion of longer Reach/WB bikes has certainly changed. So I try to keep an open mind and try as much in the way of different bikes/gear as I can get my hands on.

I also try not to take myself too seriously. We are just taking mountain bikes. Not finding the cure for cancer!

FWIW - I plan to ride OR this summer. Not sure where yet. Once I know I'll post the location[s]. If they are within striking distance for you I can bring two bikes and you can get another Smash demo in. Well a medium would work.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Congratulations Ė it looks totally sikb!

mtbr member
    FWIW - I plan to ride OR this summer. Not sure where yet. Once I know I'll post the location[s]. If they are within striking distance for you I can bring two bikes and you can get another Smash demo in. Well a medium would work.
    Let me know when you will be in Oregon. If it works out I'll show you around a few trails. At the very least I can share some trail beta with you.

And, I would plan to spend some time in SW Washington. There are some really nice all day "epic" rides.

mtbr member
    Let me know when you will be in Oregon. If it works out I'll show you around a few trails. At the very least I can share some trail beta with you.

And, I would plan to spend some time in SW Washington. There are some really nice all day "epic" rides.
    Thanks. Meeting up for some riding would be cool.

What "epic" rides would you recommend in SW WA? I've done Angel's Staircase near Chelan and loved that. Saw another ride in that area I wanted to try...Pot Peak. I love big rides especially if they gain altitude and you get sweet views.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Spin-stabilized
    Vik-
    I was in your neck of the woods last summer. I brought my 26er V2 banshee Rune and rode Harborview. Man, what a ride! Started pretty sketch, unsure of where that gravel climb and then doubletrack (with a nasty steep HAB climb too!) would lead. Then, after poking around near some lakes, I found a narrow track that veered off to the right and saw the familiar skinny trail etched on mossy rock faces and it was a pure ripper from there! The rune was a bit undersized for me and I was wishing for a more stable and balanced ride on that first big, shaley descent from the peak. That bike was fun on the Shore though. Anyway, I have since sold the rune and looking at a Megatrail/shredd dog. Initially was set on the Smash but at 5' 10.5 with a 31" inseam, I felt the back wheel always got in my way when negotiating steeps that required complex moves (straightforward rolls and drops are fine). I ride a chromag rootdown with 29" wheels these days. I don't ride parks anymore and like tricky, slow tech stuff. Your decision to go with the smash has now intrigued me as I think we have the same riding style. I'd like to stay on a 29er because I like long xc rides as well. We'll see. Maybe I'll just flip a coin.
    Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bailout View Post
    Vik-
    I was in your neck of the woods last summer. I brought my 26er V2 banshee Rune and rode Harborview. Man, what a ride!
    Harbourview is one of my favourites of the trail systems close-ish to my house. Sounds like you did great. My first visit to H-View in pre-Trailforks days I got some sketchy directions at a LBS and ended up riding old logging trails/animal trails off the wrong side of the mountain into a totally different drainage and had to loop back around on the highway!

My GF asked me how the Harbourview trails were when I got home. I replied "I have no idea!"

If you are ever back in this area PM me and we'll get out for a ride.

I've got a few friends on 29ers in our slow techy trails and they like them. I think it's a give and take. I'm not expecting the Smash to crush every part of every trail. I'm sure there will be sections that it is better on and sections where a 275er is better on. That said I've ridden my local trails so many times on a 26er and 275er I'm looking forward to the different flavour of the bigger wheels just to keep things interesting.

I suspect it will be on road trips to places with fast chunky trails where the Smash will be killer.

Just in case you didn't know you can turn a Smash into a Shred Dog or a Mega Trail reasonably easily so if you want the best of both worlds you can both with a few extra parts and a bit of time doing the swap.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Gratuitous Smash porn I noticed over at VitalMTB.

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Thanks. Meeting up for some riding would be cool.

What "epic" rides would you recommend in SW WA? I've done Angel's Staircase near Chelan and loved that. Saw another ride in that area I wanted to try...Pot Peak. I love big rides especially if they gain altitude and you get sweet views.
    I have 3 rides that I rotate in every summer after the snow melts.

- Ape Canyon / Plains of Abraham / Smith Creek loop -

This is a popular one. 25 miles, 4500' of climbing with spectacular views while riding next to an active volcano. You get a good variety on this ride. Good climbing, interesting geology, amazing views looking in to the crater of Mt St Helens. Plus a really nice DH run in to Smith Creek.

- Siouxon Creek / Huffman Peak Loop -

There is little info on the web about this ride.
    20 miles 4500' of climbing mostly through old growth forest. The Siouxon Creek Trail portion is very popular but you most likely won't see anybody once you start the hike a bike to Huffman Peak. There are a few good views of Mt St Helens, Rainier and Adams, but ripping 3000' descent over 7 miles easily rivals the scenery. This ride does require a waist deep creek crossing at the end.

- Wright Meadow / Craggy Peak Trails -

You won't find anything on the web about this, unless you stumble across my ramblings on mtbr. The lack of info could be rightfully so, it is a grind but worth it. It is an out and back. 19ish miles 6000' climbing and descending. I guarantee you won't find a more rowdy trail than this one, at least in Washington and Oregon. It is open to motos, so spots can get rough. The climb is an ass kicker but the DH absolutely rips.
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 01-16-2018 at 02:03 PM.

mtbr member
    I have 3 rides that I rotate in every summer after the snow melts.

Thanks. That's great info to have.

What time in the summer is typical for the trails to be free of snow?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Angels staircase is one of my favorite backcountry rides. If you come down to Oregon you gotta put Oakridge on your radar. There's 7+ big rides of a similar nature in the area. All of them with their own flavor. Low snow pack so far, but I usually recommend mid July before things are cut out. Mosquitoes can be horrendous in some areas of Oakridge untill fall.

mtbr member
    Angels staircase is one of my favorite backcountry rides. If you come down to Oregon you gotta put Oakridge on your radar. There's 7+ big rides of a similar nature in the area. All of them with their own flavor. Low snow pack so far, but I usually recommend mid July before things are cut out. Mosquitoes can be horrendous in some areas of Oakridge untill fall.
    Oakridge is definitely on my radar. Could give me the name of some of the longer alpine rides you are talking about? I'll put them on my To Do List. I'm going to be retired 6yrs+ before my GF so having a bunch of 1 week trip ideas I can make happen from Victoria would be awesome. That's not enough time to bother with UT/AZ/CO from here, but BC/WA/OR are perfect as I can get there and back in a day each way so I get enough riding it to make the driving worth it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Oakridge is definitely on my radar. Could give me the name of some of the longer alpine rides you are talking about? I'll put them on my To Do List
    Alpine is a must, and even better is ATCA (Upper Alpine - Tire Mountain - Cloverpatch - Lower Alpine). You can shuttle or do it as a loop.

Larison Rock is also great, Eagle's Rest is a lot of fun, and the Middle Fork trail is a great more XC-style ride (for 30+ mi).

Also, if you're remotely in to beer Brewers Union Local 180 is an excellent English-style pub, and they have lots of trail maps on the walls.

mtbr member
    Alpine is a must, and even better is ATCA (Upper Alpine - Tire Mountain - Cloverpatch - Lower Alpine). You can shuttle or do it as a loop.

Larison Rock is also great, Eagle's Rest is a lot of fun, and the Middle Fork trail is a great more XC-style ride (for 30+ mi).

Also, if you're remotely in to beer Brewers Union Local 180 is an excellent English-style pub, and they have lots of trail maps on the walls.
    Thanks. I put them all on my list...especially the pub!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    You're welcome vik. There are a lot more good trails in Oakridge, but I haven't been able to ride them all! Adventure maps has nice MTB-focused trail maps, which are nice to carry when you're in the mountains without cell service.

mtbr member
    Oakridge is definitely on my radar. Could give me the name of some of the longer alpine rides you are talking about? I'll put them on my To Do List. I'm going to be retired 6yrs+ before my GF so having a bunch of 1 week trip ideas I can make happen from Victoria would be awesome. That's not enough time to bother with UT/AZ/CO from here, but BC/WA/OR are perfect as I can get there and back in a day each way so I get enough riding it to make the driving worth it.
    We don't have a lot of alpine riding per say, but plenty of amazing views. I kinda gauge the bigger backcountry rides on the over all experience, and with that would put a ride like Bunchgrass a few notches above Angels Staircase.

I'll try to list these in descending badassery, but of coarse that's subjective.

Bunchgrass- big big day, The most amazing peice of fir forest I've ever been in. Big views, amazing wildflowers, and some incredible terrain.

Timpanogas with Middle Fork descent- like being transported to the Sawtooths in Idaho. Big mtn riding with an oldish school rooty, steep, twisty long descent. Terrible mosquitoes. Part of the Trans Cascadia 3 years back.

ATAC- lots of mtb specific(ish) miles. Some nice alpine, beautiful forest, monster shuttle. One of my favorites.

Dread and Terror through Deer Leap- do river trails get better than this? Some nice flowy alpine on Deer Leap.

Olallie/Oleary/Kings Castle- this ride has it all. If you shuttle from the horsecamp the views of the Sisters Wilderness are amazing..old growth steep peaks as far as the eye can see. Finishing on Kings is as good as it gets.

Box canyon/Grasshopper- have not ridden it yet. Part of the Trans Cascadia last year. Looks amazing with some pristine alpine sections.

Waldo lake/The Twins- there's some type of jedi thing going on here. The amount downhill miles you get compared to climbing just doesn't seem right. If you're an animal you could combine Maidon Peak/Fugi Peak/Twins/Waldo. If you're an absolute freak you could add endless more miles via Metolius-Windigo.

Oh man...is it spring yet!?

mtbr member
    Elkhorn Crest Trail up in NE Oregon looks to be pretty awesome. I'm going to try to hit that this year.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Elkhorn Crest Trail up in NE Oregon looks to be pretty awesome. I'm going to try to hit that this year.
    Looks really neat indeed. I've yet to explore out there despite driving through every year to points further east.

mtbr member
    Thanks. That's great info to have.

What time in the summer is typical for the trails to be free of snow?
    The Ape Canyon/Smith Creek and Soiuxon Creek/Huffman Peak loops will typically be open by the end of June. Snow can linger on the Wright Meadow/Craggy Peak OAB through late July. So far this year is a low snow year, so things could be open early. Downed trees are always a concern too.

Also, the Oakridge advice is spot on. The trails are amazing.

mtbr member
    The Ape Canyon/Smith Creek and Soiuxon Creek/Huffman Peak loops will typically be open by the end of June. Snow can linger on the Wright Meadow/Craggy Peak OAB through late July. So far this year is a low snow year, so things could be open early. Downed trees are always a concern too.

Also, the Oakridge advice is spot on. The trails are amazing.
    Thanks OHM. Thanks Whalenard. Thanks Curveball. Now I have a fat list of trails to check out reasonably close to home. Awesome.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I got the email from GG saying my Smash was in for powder coat. Exciting times.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I think you'll be thrilled.

I love my Shred Dogg.

mtbr member
    Looks really neat indeed. I've yet to explore out there despite driving through every year to points further east.
    I missed these comments.

I've ridden in NE Oregon a few times. The Elkhorn Crest trail is amazing. If you're in the area, definitely check out the Dutch Flat Trail.

mtbr member

Waiting for a new bike is hard.

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

It sure is! I'm waiting to order until the beginning of March so that I can demo different sizes at the ShredHQ...I've "built" so many bikes online that my wife is now skeptical when I want to show her something.

Trying to be helpful

Werd, I have to wait till March/April this VID is pretty inspiring and def helping. Reminds me of the trails I used to ride in SoCal. Hopefully it'll help you too.

https://youtu.be/jamdE5fGkXw

Can't wait to hear your ride report when built.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5CA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    Werd, I have to wait till March/April this VID is pretty inspiring and def helping. Reminds me of the trails I used to ride in SoCal. Hopefully it'll help you too.

https://youtu.be/jamdE5fGkXw
    Thanks.

I have watched that video a few times. I was deep into my beer stash Friday when I posted above about it being hard to wait.

I'm actually doing okay. It helps to have a sweet current bike that I love to ride while I wait. I also want to really get my shred on with the current rig because I'll hang it up when I get the Smash and pretty much only ride my GG the rest of the year. I've never been too good at hot swapping bikes back and forth. I like to get one bike dialled and then ride it for a few months. In the past I had a winter bike and a summer bike. I rode each for ~6 months/yr. That worked pretty good. I got some variety, had a chance to tear down each bike during its off season and had lots of time to get each bike dialled.

Are you waiting until Mar/Apr to visit GG and check stuff out or just saving up the $$?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I thought the wait was excruciating.

And then, would the bike actually live up to my expectations?

Yeah, it more than exceeded all of my expectations. Every ride is a treat as I explore the bike's capabilities.

Trying to be helpful
    Thanks.

I have watched that video a few times. I was deep into my beer stash Friday when I posted above about it being hard to wait.

I'm actually doing okay. It helps to have a sweet current bike that I love to ride while I wait. I also want to really get my shred on with the current rig because I'll hang it up when I get the Smash and pretty much only ride my GG the rest of the year. I've never been too good at hot swapping bikes back and forth. I like to get one bike dialled and then ride it for a few months. In the past I had a winter bike and a summer bike. I rode each for ~6 months/yr. That worked pretty good. I got some variety, had a chance to tear down each bike during its off season and had lots of time to get each bike dialled.

Are you waiting until Mar/Apr to visit GG and check stuff out or just saving up the $$?
    I would love to visit the GG Shreadquarters but sadly not in the cards.

Mar/April fits the budget better.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    And then, would the bike actually live up to my expectations?

Ya. I am sure GG makes a great 29er. I just hope I love 29er FS bikes.

Worst case if I don't I'll convert it to a Mega Shred Dawg and get zesty on the tiny circus wheels!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Ya. I am sure GG makes a great 29er. I just hope I love 29er FS bikes.

Worst case if I don't I'll convert it to a Mega Shred Dawg and get zesty on the tiny circus wheels!
    I live across the water from you and have similar terrain. I think that a long-travel 29er will work just fine in the Canadian Pacific Southwest.

I don't think that there's too much compromise on maneuverability. And if it doesn't rock your world, like you said, it's pretty amazing that you can just covert it to an awesome 27.5 bike.

mtbr member

Our trails are slow and tight, but I have a road trip planned to Colorado in the fall of this year so I can unleash the Smash on trails like these ^^^.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Yeah, it more than exceeded all of my expectations. Every ride is a treat as I explore the bike's capabilities.
    That's great to read! What tires are you running in the PNW rain and do they work well?

mtbr member
    I've settled on Continental Trail Kings in 2.4" width [aka 2.6" Maxxis width]. They roll fast, grip well wet or dry and work great in my MTB travel destination of choice SW desert.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks Vik, glad to know that Trail Kings 2.4" work well in the SW desert as well as Cascadia!

mtbr member
    That's great to read! What tires are you running in the PNW rain and do they work well?
    I'm running the stock DHR/DHF combination which works pretty well. They're 2.35 and I'll likely go to 2.5 when they wear out. I think that the new 2.5 and 2.6 tires should work really well here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Our trails are slow and tight, but I have a road trip planned to Colorado in the fall of this year so I can unleash the Smash on trails like these ^^^.
    Come play with us!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    Come play with us!
    I am super stoked to explore CO. With the limited free time I've had in the past I've never made it out of AZ/UT, but I know that CO has some amazing riding that's just up my alley. I love big mountain rides and I am not afraid of a bit of elevation gain.

Having a GG bike with CO DNA will be sweet! At least I won't be able to blame the bike for holding me back on the descents.

Where do you live in CO?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Vik, been reading through this thread. Shoot me a PM when you come through Oregon this summer. If we're not at the beach surfing let's get a rip in. I live an hour west of Portland.

mtbr member
    Vik, I saw you going with the air version of the MRP ribbon. Any reason you chose that over the coil? Coil front and rear might be sick! I'm trying to sell my RS Pike to get the ribbon coil.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buddiesconfusion View Post
    Vik, been reading through this thread. Shoot me a PM when you come through Oregon this summer. If we're not at the beach surfing let's get a rip in. I live an hour west of Portland.
    Or I'll bring my surfboard and provide some kook entertainment at the beach as well.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Or I'll bring my surfboard and provide some kook entertainment at the beach as well.
    Sounds great. There's supposed to be a small underground free ride spot near our place at the beach. Haven't been there yet but there supposed to be some big features.

mtbr member
    Vik, I saw you going with the air version of the MRP ribbon. Any reason you chose that over the coil? Coil front and rear might be sick! I'm trying to sell my RS Pike to get the ribbon coil.
    Well it's lighter, the performance is supposed to be really good with the air spring and you keep the ramp control knob up top where it's easy to adjust trail to trail. Plus I can always add the coil to the air Ribbon if I am feeling it later.

That said it was like a 50/50 choice between air and coil. If I had ordered on a different day I might gone air/air or coil/coil. I don't think there is a really bad choice to be made.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Well it's lighter, the performance is supposed to be really good with the air spring and you keep the ramp control knob up top where it's easy to adjust trail to trail. Plus I can always add the coil to the air Ribbon if I am feeling it later.

That said it was like a 50/50 choice between air and coil. If I had ordered on a different day I might gone air/air or coil/coil. I don't think there is a really bad choice to be made.
    Fact! I just wish they made a air rear shock.

mtbr member
    Fact! I just wish they made a air rear shock.
    Yes. Who knows they seem to be doing well so it could happen. They do have a coil shock, but sadly it doesn't fit the Smash or I would have tried a full MRP setup.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Trying to be helpful

I feel you on the air fork, I prefer the adjustability of air over a coil.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Yes. Who knows they seem to be doing well so it could happen. They do have a coil shock, but sadly it doesn't fit the Smash or I would have tried a full MRP setup.
    WTF, Colorado shock doesn't fit Colorado bike?
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Nope. Apparently not everything bicycle related in that state is cross compatible. I'm a little sad.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I feel you on the air fork, I prefer the adjustability of air over a coil.
    I also slightly agree. The adjustability is great, my problem is as a dad of two young girls, a husband, wife and I both work full time it's all I can do to do the bare bones maintenance on my bike. One less pressure to check and from others on the forum have said the new coil ribbon is amazing. Damn kids and wife

mtbr member
    Nope. Apparently not everything bicycle related in that state is cross compatible. I'm a little sad.
    I have seen on a different post from Noahcolorado who works at MRP that hey might be updating their coil raze soon. Keep my fingers crossed for this fall. I'd love a MRP shock on my knolly.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    The Raze isn't available in Metric sizing. There is a Colorado coil shock for GG frames, though

Robertson
    I was in between ribbon coil vs air for my upcoming Smash build. I talked to Noah about it a bit and he pushed hard for the coil. I like to smash through things more than jump but am also really picky about how my suspension feels; hate getting the numb hands feeling after long descents.

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    The Raze isn't available in Metric sizing. There is a Colorado coil shock for GG frames, though
    You mean THE ONE BEST Colorado shock.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    I'm going to let the SD coil be my gateway drug to any fancier suspension.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Where do you live in CO?
    Fruita

mtbr member
    Fruita
    Lucky you! I'll be down you way 8-13 Oct 2018 with my friends from the island. I'll drop you a PM closer to the time and see if you want to hook up for a ride. Our group has a mix of riders so the hammerdropping and shreddiness isn't pegged at 11 all the time. OTOH coming from Coastal BC they can ride just about anything and they are stoked on biking.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Fruita
    BTW - if you have any suggestions for camping options in the area I'd love to hear it. We'll be in tents and the ladies would love a hot shower, but we can do sun showers if that's not possible. Any thoughts?

We'll be riding Fruita and GJ from camp for a week and then heading to Moab for a week.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I camped at a small out of the way free site, and showered at the rec centre after my rides. $2 back then with a towel, had to give the towel back though. Rec centres are the best for this.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    We'll probably have 10 people in the crew and need to leave tents setup the whole time as opposed to packing stuff away every morning. Showering away from camp is fine and we've got a decent camp shower setup so really that isn't absolutely necessary.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Where is your smash?

Mine was almost on the way, but they had a boo-boo during assembly. I decided to wait for them to fix the powder-coat. Not a big deal they were good to deal with gave me many choices on what to do. I got to see a pic of part of my frame though and am super happy with the saftey third orange color I picked

I'm in Bend, OR.
    Have close(parents/sister) family in Springdale Utah, and Boulder, CO. Hope to make a trip this spring to ride out there and visit them. I don't get out much far from my house always busy.

Rode the Jem Trail I think with my dad a couple years ago in utah it was fun. other than that pretty much only ride in oregon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I'm in Bend, OR.
    How are the trails in Bend? It's getting pretty soaked here in Eugene.

mtbr member
    Where is your smash?

Mine was almost on the way, but they had a boo-boo during assembly.
    Mine is in powder coat. I'm not really expecting it until late Feb. Bummer that yours got damaged, but it will be worth the wait.

OR sounds like a great place to ride. I'll be making my first visit there this summer for MTBing.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Where is your smash?

Mine was almost on the way, but they had a boo-boo during assembly. I decided to wait for them to fix the powder-coat. Not a big deal they were good to deal with gave me many choices on what to do. I got to see a pic of part of my frame though and am super happy with the saftey third orange color I picked

I'm in Bend, OR.
    Have close(parents/sister) family in Springdale Utah, and Boulder, CO.
    I'm up in McMinnville Oregon, and headed your way for the week on Sunday to get out of this god awful rain. Are any of the trails snowless around Phil's trailhead? I'm guessing not. We're going to go up to bachelor for a few days but man I could use some bendyland singletrack!

mtbr member
    How are the trails in Bend? It's getting pretty soaked here in Eugene.
    They were great until a couple weeks ago.. then it warmed up. Turned to Soup/Quicksand. Not supposed to ride here in those conditions. I think you can ride in the wet in eugene?

Anyway it seems like WINTER is finally back. so maybe the horse butte trails will harden up again. Phils is probably off limits till spring I'm guessing.

I normally do other things in the winter besides mountain bike..so I'm annoyed with how lame this winter has been.. Its been too lame to Ski/Snowmobile...and too warm to mountain bike.

Bachelors been being dumped on all week for snow..so taking the snowmobile out soon, but its just soup down here by my house.

mtbr member
    I'm up in McMinnville Oregon, and headed your way for the week on Sunday to get out of this god awful rain. Are any of the trails snowless around Phil's trailhead? I'm guessing not. We're going to go up to bachelor for a few days but man I could use some bendyland singletrack!
    Snowless..maybe. But they turned to soup.

I don't have time to go check out the horse butte trails near my house, but normally those would be your best bet. If it gets cold there and the trails harden up they should be ok.

Phils Probably not..

https://bendtrails.org/

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I think you can ride in the wet in eugene?
    You can still ride most of Whypass and a few other places like the North Shore trail, but it's getting pretty sloppy.

mtbr member
    You can still ride most of Whypass and a few other places like the North Shore trail, but it's getting pretty sloppy.
    But you can ride slop there right?

If there is a hint of mud in Bend, they don't want people on the trails. Different soil I hear it screws it up bad here. But always wondered about that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    But you can ride slop there right?
    You can ride some slop here, though there are some places you shouldn't. Whypass was designed with winter riding in mind, and a lot of the rockier river trails hold up to the rain well.

mtbr member

While I wait for my Smash to arrive I'm scoping out some desert trails to ride it on.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Sadly I've turned out to be one of those PITA customers that changes something last minute. I decided to go with a MRP Ribbon coil fork vs. the air version.

I'll be 50 next year and for the most part I am riding stronger than ever, but one thing I have noticed is that when I am riding day after day the weak spot in my armour isn't fitness or muscle soreness or a sore back or saddle pain...it's upper body joint issues. We tend to do long road trips to the SW desert and of course want to ride lots everyday on rocky trails, which sort of creates the perfect storm for RSIs. Not sexy, but as health issues go it could be way worse.

As I pondered my Smash build I started to think I should just go coil up front off the bat. The bike will have AL rims and I may swap out the carbon RF bar for an AL version. I run big volume tires on my bikes so that'll give me the "softest" front end I can reasonably get.

Anyways thanks to Jubal at GG for being super nice and changing my fork order to a coil. Not to mention the funky shorter offset and bolt-on axle. I'm not making $hit easy I know! GG customer service has been exceptional so far as all the reviews have stated.

Changing my order means pushing things back to early March for my bike being ready. Trails are still quite sloppy here so that's okay. No need to trash two bikes!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    LOL. Jubal is probably tired of my emails. But my bike shipped today.

Great to work with.

mtbr member
    Just subscribing

I have a 5.5c that I actually donít absolutely love. Thinking of a Smash.

mtbr member

Sadly I've turned out to be one of those PITA customers that changes something last minute. I decided to go with a MRP Ribbon coil fork vs. the air version.

I'll be 50 next year and for the most part I am riding stronger than ever, but one thing I have noticed is that when I am riding day after day the weak spot in my armour isn't fitness or muscle soreness or a sore back or saddle pain...it's upper body joint issues. We tend to do long road trips to the SW desert and of course want to ride lots everyday on rocky trails, which sort of creates the perfect storm for RSIs. Not sexy, but as health issues go it could be way worse.

As I pondered my Smash build I started to think I should just go coil up front off the bat. The bike will have AL rims and I may swap out the carbon RF bar for an AL version. I run big volume tires on my bikes so that'll give me the "softest" front end I can reasonably get.

Anyways thanks to Jubal at GG for being super nice and changing my fork order to a coil. Not to mention the funky shorter offset and bolt-on axle. I'm not making $hit easy I know! GG customer service has been exceptional so far as all the reviews have stated.

Changing my order means pushing things back to early March for my bike being ready. Trails are still quite sloppy here so that's okay. No need to trash two bikes!
    I'm about your age and ended up ordering a Ribbon Coil for my Shred Dogg. I have arthritis and wanted the smoothest ride I could get to save my wrists and hands.

The Ribbon Coil has been absolutely fantastic so far. It smashes through stuff better than any other fork that I've ridden.

You might also consider the Spank Oozy vibracore foam bar for vibration damping. I'm thinking about that one.

I'll likely go with bigger volume tires once the stock 2.3s wear out.

mtbr member
    I'm about your age and ended up ordering a Ribbon Coil for my Shred Dogg. I have arthritis and wanted the smoothest ride I could get to save my wrists and hands.

The Ribbon Coil has been absolutely fantastic so far. It smashes through stuff better than any other fork that I've ridden.

You might also consider the Spank Oozy vibracore foam bar for vibration damping. I'm thinking about that one.

Good to hear I am not the only one feeling their age a touch!

I'll try the carbon bars since they come with the bike. Going coil and using AL rims may be enough insulation from the ground. If not I own AL RF bars so I'll swap those in and if I still am not happy I'll try the Spank bars. Thank for the suggestion. That's a good product to keep in mind.

I have to say that looking at folks my age I feel pretty lucky to be able to ride as hard as I can. Life could be worse!

FWIW - I ride 2.4" Conti tires which are about the same volume as a 2.6" Maxxis tire. Ever since I started riding them ~6yrs ago I can't go back to skinny rubber. The ride feels awful.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I'll try the carbon bars since they come with the bike. Going coil and using AL rims may be enough insulation from the ground. If not I own AL RF bars so I'll swap those in and if I still am not happy I'll try the Spank bars. Thank for the suggestion. That's a good product to keep in mind.

I have to say that looking at folks my age I feel pretty lucky to be able to ride as hard as I can. Life could be worse!

FWIW - I ride 2.4" Conti tires which are about the same volume as a 2.6" Maxxis tire. Ever since I started riding them ~6yrs ago I can't go back to skinny rubber. The ride feels awful.
    We ride in a similar part of the world and so I should check out those Conti's for my trails.

mtbr member
    We ride in a similar part of the world and so I should check out those Conti's for my trails.
    Do it! Coming from 2.3's [Maxxis?] your mind will be blown. Just keep in mind you need less pressure in them than you think. I'm ~200lbs geared up and run 18/20psi front and 19/21psi rear.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Iíll second the Spank vibracore. Been running them since September and theyíve been great. Iím interested in their new vibracore rim now.

mtbr member

I'm 10 years younger than you and i feel it already lol. My dad is 68 and kicks my ass on a mountain bike. ( On flats or uphill anyway )

Ride while you can!

mtbr member
    I rode with a 70 something biker in Sedona who was one of the OG mountain bikers in that area. He still dropped me on some climbs and he came riding with us in the afternoon when his day job of MTB guiding was done so it was probably his 2nd or 3rd ride of the day.

I hope I grow up to be like him.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Some GG Moab Meet Up stoke! Gold Bar Rim is my favourite Moab trail as long as I am feeling zesty!

I also wanted to throw out some props to GG. I've been bugging them about some of the fine details of my Smash that I didn't think about until late in the game. They've replied fast and given me all the info I needed to sort things out.

Their customer service is off the charts. I've bought a lot of bikes and gear over the decades and I'm hard pressed to name anyone that has provided a better experience.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

While I wait for my Smash I read the reviews:

Guerrilla Gravity The Smash¬*Review - REVIEWS - downhillnews
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Trying to be helpful

While I wait for my Smash I read the reviews:

Guerrilla Gravity The Smash¬*Review - REVIEWS - downhillnews
    Solid!! Didn't think it possible, but the more I read the more excited I get.
    Last edited by Guy.Ford; 03-14-2018 at 07:08 AM.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Solid!! Didn't think it possible, but the more I read the more excited I get.

When I ordered my Smash late winter I wasn't in a rush since trails were sloppy and I already had a bike I was thrashing in the mud. But now that my self-inflicted MRP Ribbon coil delay is stretching out longer than anticipated I'm actually starting to get antsy for the Smash to ship. On the plus side of things when I get it the trails will be primo and I can really put it through its paces. By the time things get moist again in the fall the Smash will be well worn and I won't feel bad getting her muddy.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

When I ordered my Smash late winter I wasn't in a rush since trails were sloppy and I already had a bike I was thrashing in the mud. But now that my self-inflicted MRP Ribbon coil delay is stretching out longer than anticipated I'm actually starting to get antsy for the Smash to ship. On the plus side of things when I get it the trails will be primo and I can really put it through its paces. By the time things get moist again in the fall the Smash will be well worn and I won't feel bad getting her muddy.
    Way to look at the positive aspect of the wait! I too chose the MRP coil delay, so another month of getting the ol' bike dirty before it's Smash time.

mtbr member
    Way to look at the positive aspect of the wait! I too chose the MRP coil delay, so another month of getting the ol' bike dirty before it's Smash time.
    I've been here before and a year from now I won't remember waiting an extra month, but I will be super stoked to get the bike spec'd just how I wanted.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat right now, ordered a frame with a Ribbon (air, 46mm offset) and was told about 6-7 weeks before it ships. I know it will be worth the wait once I have my dream build finished but it's a painful wait for sure!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I just talked to GG yesterday and learned that my Shred Dogg would likely not ship until late April or Early May due to MRP being behind on Ribbon orders. I tried to be strong like you guys but I folded up and am going with a Fox 36 instead so that I can get the bike faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by burkawitz206 View Post
    I just talked to GG yesterday and learned that my Shred Dogg would likely not ship until late April or Early May due to MRP being behind on Ribbon orders. I tried to be strong like you guys but I folded up and am going with a Fox 36 instead so that I can get the bike faster.
    Ha! I don't blame you. Honestly I been thinking about getting a 29er hardtail later this year so the thought occurred to me to get the Smash delivered now with an alternate fork and keep my order in for the MRP Coil. Once I get the MRP fork swap it to the Smash and keep the other fork for the hardtail.

The only downside is that if I love the MRP Coil a ton I wouldn't be able to put one on the hardtail.

I know the right thing to do is just wait, but sometimes doing the right thing is hard!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I have to admit that the Ribbon Coil on my Shred Dogg is an absolutely amazing fork.

I got very lucky that they were in stock when I ordered it to replace the stock Suntour.

It'll be worth the wait Vik.

mtbr member
    I have to admit that the Ribbon Coil on my Shred Dogg is an absolutely amazing fork.

I got very lucky that they were in stock when I ordered it to replace the stock Suntour.

It'll be worth the wait Vik.
    Had I ordered the Ribbon Coil from the start or suck with the Ribbon Air I had ordered initially I'd have my Smash by now. So the situation is totally my fault. I bet you the PB award cranked up orders from all vendors and MRP is building the forks as fast as possible. When I talked to Jubal last my fork order was the 3rd oldest in GG's pipe with MRP so hopefully I'll get it soon.

I work in manufacturing so I know what a challenge it is to adjust to major volume changes.

I've got a bike I dig riding so my troubles are all first world problems.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I may not have my Smash t-shirt yet, but I did throw a bit of Colorado bling into my current ride.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Looks pretty liberal
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Looks pretty liberal
    That's how I vote so it works for me.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Yup it's a TP not a Smash. Forgive me. Just keeping my spirits high while I wait on that MRP Coil fork.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I may not have my Smash t-shirt yet, but I did throw a bit of Colorado bling into my current ride.
    How do you like the Ramp control in your pike? Looking at getting a vorsprung lufkatte (sp?), ramp control or selling my pike.

mtbr member
    How do you like the Ramp control in your pike? Looking at getting a vorsprung lufkatte (sp?), ramp control or selling my pike.
    It's too early to say in any detail. So far it feels like having an adjustable on the fly token setup in a Pike. It works differently than the tokens so my comparison is just in the most general sense.

It's not going to radically change your Pike so if you don't love your Pike now you won't love it with a RC cartridge installed. My buddy had the Luftkappe from VS. He liked it, but it didn't seem like it was revolutionary. He eventually sold the fork.

If you really want to upgrade a Pike I'd get the Avy damper installed, but it's a lot of $$ so it's tempting just to get a new fork at that point. Although I have friends with the Avy fork upgrade who love it I've never been unhappy enough with my forks to spend the $.

Personally I like my Pikes pretty well. I just wanted to see if I could reduce the abuse on my arms while still keeping the ramp up for parts of the ride that deserve it. To that end I think the RC is promising, but I need to ride it more before I'd recommend buying it for a Pike given it costs a few bucks. I like the fast ramp up of several tokens when I am really charging, but of course a lot of the ride isn't like that.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Well after 9yrs of riding here in the coastal rain forest I finally hit a tree at speed. Just in case you are unsure who won it wasn't me.

At least that makes it easier to wait for my Smash since I couldn't ride it even if it showed up today.

Still waiting to hear if anything is broken in my hand, but even if it's not I'm not getting gnarly on a bike for a couple weeks at least.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    did ya lay there & enjoy the beauty of the tree for awhile? you took a picture of it, so at least you made the best of a bad deal. well done.
    oh ya, good luck w/ your hand

Well after 9yrs of riding here in the coastal rain forest I finally hit a tree at speed. Just in case you are unsure who won it wasn't me.

At least that makes it easier to wait for my Smash since I couldn't ride it even if it showed up today.

Still waiting to hear if anything is broken in my hand, but even if it's not I'm not getting gnarly on a bike for a couple weeks at least.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Heal well and quickly, vik!

mtbr member
    Ouch!

I hope you heal quickly. It looks like a decent spell of riding weather coming up next week.

mtbr member
    Well the doctor didn't call so that's supposed to mean nothing is broken. I'm going to go hiking today and tomorrow. At least I'll be outside on the mountain even if I am not riding!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I noticed that the new Ibis Ripmo 29er is using a 44mm offset 29er fork. It's interesting that the lower offset fork concept is getting some traction beyond Transition's SBG.

I'm glad I spec'd a 46mm offset MRP fork for my Smash. Seems like it wasn't a bad idea to try that out.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

I noticed that the new Ibis Ripmo 29er is using a 44mm offset 29er fork. It's interesting that the lower offset fork concept is getting some traction beyond Transition's SBG.

I'm glad I spec'd a 46mm offset MRP fork for my Smash. Seems like it wasn't a bad idea to try that out.
    They also increased the seat tube angle from 73 degrees on the Ripley to 76 on the Ripmo! ~140 mm travel 29ers are moving in the direction of your Smash!

Trying to be helpful

Seems not everyone was a fan of the new offset on the Ripmo, did you read the NSMB brief review?

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Seems not everyone was a fan of the new offset on the Ripmo, did you read the NSMB brief review?
    Yup I saw that. They are the only ones to report that observation and it seems unlikely to me a bike company like Ibis would release a new model with an obvious handling flaw. It will be interesting to see what NSMB thinks after further tinkering and riding.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Ride On
    The author provides some tangible benefits to those that seek these:

ďItís more forgiving to sloppy technique and when getting weight placement wrong. Where a traditional offset would have resulted in the front wheel pushing less predictably and likely resulting in ending up on your head, the shorter offset has instead allowed for more time to correct with the wheel hanging onto traction for longer.Ē

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post
    The author provides some tangible benefits to those that seek these:

ďItís more forgiving to sloppy technique and when getting weight placement wrong. Where a traditional offset would have resulted in the front wheel pushing less predictably and likely resulting in ending up on your head, the shorter offset has instead allowed for more time to correct with the wheel hanging onto traction for longer.Ē

True, but let's not leave out the beginning of that paragraph or the one leading up to it..

"Through tight turns the front wheel seems to want to tuck under earlier than experienced on similarly angled bikes on the same sections of trail. Itís a sensation experienced during both climbs and on descents and itís a little unnerving. It has never tucked to this point, however, itís not a feeling that inspires confidence in those scenarios.**

Where the shorter offset in this circumstance feels best so far is in open corners, allowing the rider to dig in more aggressively."

Just so we paint a clear picture for those that may have missed the article.

Like vik mentioned, it will be interesting to see how future reviews go. Personally I'm torn between the 46 or 51 offset.

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Personally I'm torn between the 46 or 51 offset.
    Regarding fork offset and the GG Smash. Some thoughts.

Don't do it!

- if you aren't keen on experimenting
    - NSMB review freaks you out
    - GG designed Smash with 51mm offset in mind
    - most similar 29ers were designed for 51mm offset
    - most Smash owners are using 51mm offset
    - 51mm offset probably works best for more open trails where speeds are higher, which [not shockingly] is where most Smash owners ride.

Do it!

- Matt from GG has tried 46mm offset with the Smash and said it was different, but fine
    - only NSMB had any issues with handling
    - unlikely Ibis designed a new flagship bike that has a significant handling flaw like wheel tucking that makes good riders lack confidence in the bike.
    - Rimpo HTA is 66 deg with a 160mm fork and 44mm offset so sagged it will be somewhat different than a Smash at 65.6 HTA with a 150mm MRP fork at 46mm offset.
    - Folks are digging the Sentinel handing at 64 deg HTA and 42-44mm offset.
    - Smash with a 150mm fork and a -1 deg angelset is looking pretty Sentinel-esque with a 64.6 deg HTA and 46mm offset MRP fork.
    - If you hate it you can either sell the fork or buy a new CSU to change the offset back to 51mm or use the fork with 27.5" wheels where 46mm offset is more common.
    - you ride a lot of tighter slower speed trails where that shorter WB and faster steering at slow speeds in tech matter and you don't mind slower steering as speeds increase.

My gut feel is it won't be a deal breaker or game changer either way. I'd come down on this issue based on how much or a risk taker/experimenter you are. Not so much go 51mm and see how smaller offset 29er forks play out and get onboard next time you buy a fork in a few years. Yeah let's try some new $hit baby! Then give 'er a go with a 46mm offset Ribbon and maybe a -1 deg angleset as well.
    Last edited by vikb; 03-27-2018 at 10:14 AM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Ride On

True, but let's not leave out the beginning of that paragraph or the one leading up to it..

"Through tight turns the front wheel seems to want to tuck under earlier than experienced on similarly angled bikes on the same sections of trail. Itís a sensation experienced during both climbs and on descents and itís a little unnerving. It has never tucked to this point, however, itís not a feeling that inspires confidence in those scenarios.**

Where the shorter offset in this circumstance feels best so far is in open corners, allowing the rider to dig in more aggressively."

Just so we paint a clear picture for those that may have missed the article.

Like vik mentioned, it will be interesting to see how future reviews go. Personally I'm torn between the 46 or 51 offset.

Totally Guy.ford I wasnít trying to post fake news . Just wanting to post the positive to the negative one you initially made.

I also said to those that seek it.

Ultimately changes like this come with both benefits and draw backs (which folks will also interpret differently) like many other things the choice to utilize the change will be personal.

I currently am riding on 44mm offset 29 fork (65.5 hta) because itís what I had when I built my current hardtail. I do notice the front wheel being closer to me (yes I know it obviously is). The feeling of tucking in or the sensation that Iím riding a longer stem I donít get.

Regarding the tuck sensation I can understand where that comes from the the shorter offset will increase the flop effect or maybe a better way to describe it is; the flop is a little more pronounced and starts earlier.

It took a couple rides but now it feels normal. In fact that early flop point helps in navigating the sometimes very tight switchbacks we have in our area.

I had challenges when I slackened out my full sus too but learned how to adjust my riding and now wouldnít want to go back; Iím not saying thatís the case for the fork offset yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Don't do it!

- 51mm offset probably works best for more open trails where speeds are higher, whicj [not shockingly] is where most Smash owners ride.

Do it!

- Matt from GG has tried 46mm offset with the Smash and said it was different, but fine
    - unlikely Ibis designed a new flagship bike that has a significant handling flaw like wheel tucking that makes good riders lack confidence in the bike.
    - Rimpo HTA is 66 deg with a 160mm fork and 44mm offset so sagged it will be somewhat different than a Smash at 65.6 HTA with a 150mm MRP fork at 46mm offset.
    - Smash with a 150mm fork and a -1 deg angelset is looking pretty Sentinel-esque with a 64.6 deg HTA and 46mm offset MRP fork.
    - If you hate it you can either sell the fork or buy a new CSU to change the offset back to 51mm or use the fork with 27.5" wheels where 46mm offset is more common.
    - you ride a lot of tighter slower speed trails where that shorter WB and faster steering at slow speeds in tech matter and you don't mind slower steering as speeds increase.

My gut feel is won't be a deal breaker or game changer either way. I'd come down on this issue based on how much or a risk taker/experimenter you are. Not so much go 51mm and see how smaller offset 29er forks play out and get onboard next time you buy a fork in a few years. Yeah let's try some new $hit baby! Then give 'er a go with a 46mm offset Ribbon and maybe a -1 deg angleset as well.
    Isnít a shorter offset better for high speed stability? I thought that was the whole point of Transitionís SBG. I may be misunderstanding the whole thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apolonios View Post
    Isnít a shorter offset better for high speed stability? I thought that was the whole point of Transitionís SBG. I may be misunderstanding the whole thing.
    From Transition:

SBG ensures the bike maintains low speed agility, front wheel traction, and proper rider weight balance while actually increasing confidence in steep terrain and at high speeds. With SBG, a slacker head tube angle is combined with a all new reduced offset fork standard, preventing the front wheel from being too far in front of the rider. This improves front to rear weight distribution on the bike, which is often out of balance on long and slack bikes. One of SBG's greatest benefits is that it creates a confident steering feel that adapts to wheel speed. More stability when going fast, more agility on technical slow speed manuevering as well as improved traction, control and confidence for any skill level of rider.

No. SBG has a super slack 64 deg HTA and looooong WB so more high speed stability isn't why they went with the shorter offset in my mind. They went with the shorter offset to make the bike more manoeuvrable at slow speeds and for added front wheel traction at all speeds.

The added high speed stability is actually a con of that approach at least in some respects because it makes steering a 29er harder at speed. Something designers have been battling since the wheel size debuted.

That said for some people and some trails the slower more stable steering at speed could be a pro. When you read the Ripmo design rationale the steeper HTA plus shorter offset is looking at the increased high speed stability as a pro, but Ibis has a significantly steeper HTA than Transition's SBG.

The engineers at both companies are world class and they both take field testing very seriously so I personally have some faith in the outcome both ways.
    Last edited by vikb; 03-27-2018 at 08:59 AM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Trying to be helpful
    Totally Guy.ford I wasnít trying to post fake news . Just wanting to post the positive to the negative one you initially made.

I also said to those that seek it.

Ultimately changes like this come with both benefits and draw backs (which folks will also interpret differently) like many other things the choice to utilize the change will be personal.

I currently am riding on 44mm offset 29 fork (65.5 hta) because itís what I had when I built my current hardtail. I do notice the front wheel being closer to me (yes I know it obviously is). The feeling of tucking in or the sensation that Iím riding a longer stem I donít get.

Regarding the tuck sensation I can understand where that comes from the the shorter offset will increase the flop effect or maybe a better way to describe it is; the flop is a little more pronounced and starts earlier.

It took a couple rides but now it feels normal. In fact that early flop point helps in navigating the sometimes very tight switchbacks we have in our area.

I had challenges when I slackened out my full sus too but learned how to adjust my riding and now wouldnít want to go back; Iím not saying thatís the case for the fork offset yet.

Werd.

Wasn't trying to throw shade at anyone. I merely brought up that review because their experience was so contrasting to what most others have had to say about the new offset 29er forks. A lot of riders/reviews have had mostly positive praises for the new offset, NSMB had a very different feeling on the Ripmo that I thought it worth mentioning for people who might not have read the article.

Apologies if I offended.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member

I'm hearing my MRP fork could be in on 16 April. So I'd have the bike by the following weekend. **fingers crossed** It would be nice to get some saddle time in.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Trying to be helpful

Don't do it!

- 51mm offset probably works best for more open trails where speeds are higher, whicj [not shockingly] is where most Smash owners ride.

Do it!

My gut feel is won't be a deal breaker or game changer either way. I'd come down on this issue based on how much or a risk taker/experimenter you are. Not so much go 51mm and see how smaller offset 29er forks play out and get onboard next time you buy a fork in a few years. Yeah let's try some new $hit baby! Then give 'er a go with a 46mm offset Ribbon and maybe a -1 deg angleset as well.
    You've summed up my brain on an hourly basis, all the concepts and ideas, swirling through my melon constantly. I think it's making me loopy.

My personal build will likely consist of an Orange Fox 36 160mm fork & with a 1.5 Works angleset.

Lately I've been wondering if we slackened bike out to make bump absorption better, now we are essentially tucking the wheel back under the headtube (slightly) by changing the offeset moving the axle back toward the bike, how does this affect bump absorption? Wouldn't that have a negative affect?
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Lately I've been wondering if we slackened bike out to make bump absorption better, now we are essentially tucking the wheel back under the headtube (slightly) by changing the offeset moving the axle back toward the bike, how does this affect bump absorption? Wouldn't that have a negative affect?
    I don't think you slacken a bike to make bump absorption better in fact as HTAs get slacker forks have more trouble responding to smaller hits because they bind up with the force being less inline with the fork. If I wanted to optimise how a fork absorbed bumps I think you'd stand it up more vertically.

Of course that messes up the steering geo. We slack out the bike so it handles better on steeps and at speed.

The shorter offset was meant to bring the front wheel closer to the rider for better traction and a shorter bike that handled better at slow speeds.

Transition at least has enough SBG bikes in the wild and out for pro reviews that I think we can say it's a proven geo setup that is generally liked. We don't have that sort of data on the Ripmo or the 46mm offset Smash. Although there are some reports for both the later bikes...just not as much as SBG.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    My personal build will likely consist of an Orange Fox 36 160mm fork & with a 1.5 Works angleset.
    That'll be a real SMASHer. Something like a 65-1.5 = 63.5 deg HTA and what offset are you getting on the fork? I'm not up on Fox tech these days.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Ride On
    Werd.

Wasn't trying to throw shade at anyone. I merely brought up that review because their experience was so contrasting to what most others have had to say about the new offset 29er forks. A lot of riders/reviews have had mostly positive praises for the new offset, NSMB had a very different feeling on the Ripmo that I thought it worth mentioning for people who might not have read the article.

Apologies if I offended.
    No offence taken. 🤛🏼

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I'm hearing my MRP fork could be in on 16 April. So I'd have the bike by the following weekend. **fingers crossed** It would be nice to get some saddle time in.

Trying to be helpful
    That'll be a real SMASHer. Something like a 65-1.5 = 63.5 deg HTA and what offset are you getting on the fork? I'm not up on Fox tech these days.
    51mm. If I don't like it, though I'm fairly certain I'll be good, I'm hoping by that point Fox will have steerer/stanchions available aftermarket with the 44mm offeset they made for Transition. I also plan to drop a MRP Ramp cart in the Fox.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

Trying to be helpful
    I don't think you slacken a bike to make bump absorption better in fact as HTAs get slacker forks have more trouble responding to smaller hits because they bind up with the force being less inline with the fork. If I wanted to optimise how a fork absorbed bumps I think you'd stand it up more vertically.

Of course that messes up the steering geo. We slack out the bike so it handles better on steeps and at speed.

The shorter offset was meant to bring the front wheel closer to the rider for better traction and a shorter bike that handled better at slow speeds.

Transition at least has enough SBG bikes in the wild and out for pro reviews that I think we can say it's a proven geo setup that is generally liked. We don't have that sort of data on the Ripmo or the 46mm offset Smash. Although there are some reports for both the later bikes...just not as much as SBG.
    Sorry should've been more clear, the slack HA came from DH riding. They slackened the HA so as courses got steeper the angle in which the tire contact the ground & suspension cycles was more inline with the terrain. HT's have been getting more slack in recent years because riders are riding more challenging terrain, same principle as DH.

More upright HA\HT would make perfect sense for absorbing bumps if we all rode on flat surfaces.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    51mm. If I don't like it, though I'm fairly certain I'll be good, I'm hoping by that point Fox will have steerer/stanchions available aftermarket with the 44mm offeset they made for Transition. I also plan to drop a MRP Ramp cart in the Fox.
    Someone tried a 51mm offset fork on a Transition Sentinel when the reviews came out and said it worked fine. GG was working with 51mm offsets when designing and testing the Smash so I doubt you'll have any issues with that fork.

That will be a really low HTA, but I assume you've determined that's a good target for your riding style/terrain/etc...based on previous bikes?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sorry should've been more clear, the slack HA came from DH riding. They slackened the HA so as courses got steeper the angle in which the tire contact the ground & suspension cycles was more inline with the terrain. HT's have been getting more slack in recent years because riders are riding more challenging terrain, same principle as DH.

More upright HA\HT would make perfect sense for absorbing bumps if we all rode on flat surfaces.
    I'm a one bike to rule them all kind of rider. Even when I have a couple bikes I ride one in the winter for 5 months and then the other in the summer for 7 months. I don't swap back and forth much. So my bike has to crush the steeps and gnar, but also be fun to ride on less demanding terrain as well as climb decently.

The terrain I ride hasn't changed, but the bikes have gotten way slacker. I don't notice any difference in how the fork works due that change in HTA. So I don't know about that progression in HTA having to do with optimising the fork performance as opposed to its impact on steering geo.

Heck the newer trails that are getting built are less challenging than the older fall line trails. I guess I am not seeing the change in geo vs. the terrain that you mention. At least not in my part of BC or the places I ride in the SW desert.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Trying to be helpful
    Someone tried a 51mm offset fork on a Transition Sentinel when the reviews came out and said it worked fine. GG was working with 51mm offsets when designing and testing the Smash so I doubt you'll have any issues with that fork.

That will be a really low HTA, but I assume you've determined that's a good target for your riding style/terrain/etc...based on previous bikes?
    I think I will like the quicker steering personally, I've never found any of my previous bikes to hard to handle, 26-29 or even my 26X4.8 tired fatty.

With regards to the HTA, I've read there can be variances with the Anglesets so a 1* or 1.5* may not actually be exact, I'm shooting for somewhere around 64* HTA and also looking to lower the BB a bit so 1.5* feels like a good compromise. If it ends up being a wee bit slacker, I'm good.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    I think I will like the quicker steering personally, I've never found any of my previous bikes to hard to handle, 26-29 or even my 26X4.8 tired fatty.

With regards to the HTA, I've read there can be variances with the Anglesets so a 1* or 1.5* may not actually be exact, I'm shooting for somewhere around 64* HTA and also looking to lower the BB a bit so 1.5* feels like a good compromise. If it ends up being a wee bit slacker, I'm good.
    Awesome. Sounds like you know what you want. I'll look forward to hearing how you like it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    46mm offset MRP coil Smash review: http://forums.mtbr.com/guerrilla-gra...t-1073745.html
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Lots of MTB porn floating around the net. This pic from the GG IG feed caught my attention. I miss dropping ledges in the desert. I can't wait to go back and Smash some trails.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Lots of MTB porn floating around the net. This pic from the GG IG feed caught my attention. I miss dropping ledges in the desert. I can't wait to go back and Smash some trails.
    Thanks for the pic, vik!

mtbr member
    My Smash is shipping today.

Last edited by vikb; 04-04-2018 at 05:41 PM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Trying to be helpful

My Smash is shipping today.

Congratulations!!!
    Name:  thats-smashing-baby.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  85.8 KB
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Exciting! Can't wait to see it.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Looking forward to pics of your Smash!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    My Shred Dogg arrived at my LBS earlier this morning and it has taken everything in my power to not drive over and start pestering them incessantly about getting it together immediately. I wonder if each model has its own shirt.

mtbr member
    My Shred Dogg arrived at my LBS earlier this morning and it has taken everything in my power to not drive over and start pestering them incessantly about getting it together immediately. I wonder if each model has its own shirt.

Congrats on the new ride.

That's ^^^ your SD t-shirt design.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Oh that is pretty metal, I like it. Thanks Vik.

mtbr member
    Is it here yet?
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Is it here yet?
    If all goes well next Wednesday.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Can't wait to see it. One of the local riders was riding one on Little Creek last weekend during our "Kollyfest." It was a sweet looking ride. I think this is him. This was a huge move,
    by the way.

Smashing Vancouver Island!-20180331_144805.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Can't wait to see it. One of the local riders was riding one on Little Creek last weekend during our "Kollyfest." It was a sweet looking ride. I think this is him. This was a huge move,
    by the way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180331_144805.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	1191357
    Yup, that's me on my new Smash

Here is that same move, same day, taken probably less than a second before yours, but from the angle of the guy in the far left of your pic:

Smashing Vancouver Island!-29417541_2389021464456832_2198975967962071040_n.jpg

what a difference perspective makes.

mtbr member
    Wow. That's ^^ a burly move.

I'm hoping my hand is going to be in good shape by the weekend after the Smash lands. So far the recovery is coming along and I plan to do an easy ride this weekend, but I'm not ready to properly thrash the Smash yet.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Smashing Vancouver Island!-gg2.jpeg

Dang! I didn't even get to be a special snowflake for one day here on Van Isle with my GG.

Now the race will be on to see who has rides the South Island trails first on a GG bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Dang! I didn't even get to be a special snowflake for one day here on Van Isle with my GG.

Now the race will be on to see who has rides the South Island trails first on a GG bike.
    He obviously didn't wait for the MRP fork!

mtbr member
    He obviously didn't wait for the MRP fork!
    So true. It looks like he out FOXed me!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

The bad news is my bike spent most of this week stuck in Canadian Customs while they made sure Jubal didn't stuff that legal CO weed into my downtube and tires! I think "Kush"-core on the invoice may have thrown them off.

The good news is I got an email this afternoon that the bike is cleared customs so I should get it Monday or Tuesday next week.

That's okay. I've been fantasy riding my Smash in Moab this week while napping here in the PNWet when it's been raining outside.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Looking forward to some photos
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Ride On
    Arrgh customs. Glad it smashed through.

mtbr member
    Smashing Vancouver Island!-ups1.jpg

*fingers crossed*
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    *fingers crossed*
    Very exciting! I look forward to pictures
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity Smash 140/150 29"
    2013 Specialized Carve SL (rigid SS) 29"
    2015 Diamondback Haanjo Comp

Trying to be helpful
    Congrats man that's super awesome, can't wait to see some pics

#THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member

I got a delivery at work. So far I've just had time to peak into the boxes. The frame looks rad.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

I got a delivery at work. So far I've just had time to peak into the boxes. The frame looks rad.
    Awesome! Good luck concentrating on work today...

mtbr member
    Because the frame was made in the US the guy I work for was more excited than I was and made me open the box so he could check it out.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I would be dying. I had mine delivered to my LBS and it was a struggle not to break in after-hours just to get a look at it.

Trying to be helpful

Seriously, this is just mean Let's just see the damn bike already. LOL
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member

Hard to get pics of the bike in the box.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2010
    "Show me what you got!"

Nice teaser.

Enjoy.
    '18 Guerilla Gravity Smash 140/150 29"
    '05 Giant Reign 150/130 26"

Trying to be helpful

Hard to get pics of the bike in the box.
    That's cool, just busting your balls. Looks sharp, congrats man, cant wait to see more.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member

Here is the bike out of the box and most of the parts. I didn't buy tires or a dropper from GG so I'll need to add those to the mix. It'll take me a bit to get the bike built and rolling. I'll get some better photos with proper lighting as well.

Bike was packed well. No damage or anything of that nature in transit.

Geeking out on it the bike finish quality, welds, assembly, etc... all look great. GG got all my special requests sorted. Frame size looks about right...at least as much as you can eyeball these things.

The overall look of the frame is pretty badass in a purposefully industrial sort of way. It's refined enough you can tell it's not a first generation product on the other hand it still has a touch of mad scientist enginerd.

It reminds me a bit of the 26er SC Nomad MK2 that I rode for 9yrs and just sold this past winter. I'm hoping the Smash ends up being the 29er version of that bike for me for the next 9yrs. What I loved about the Nomad was it was burly enough for any trail I had the balls to ride, but pedalled well enough for an all day epic. It was always ready to shred, never let me down and I never had to worry about it if we took a tumble in the rocks.

As I was thinking about the Smash I wanted to end up with a similar feel/capability, but with bigger wheels and a more modern geo + parts kit. Obviously time will tell, but I'm feeling good about the first impressions of the new GG bike.
    Last edited by vikb; 04-17-2018 at 07:19 AM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Ride On
    That white looks pretty sweet with those black graphics! Will you let me touch it if I bring over a six pack and wipe my grubby finger prints off it after?

mtbr member
    That white looks pretty sweet with those black graphics! Will you let me touch it if I bring over a six pack and wipe my grubby finger prints off it after?
    For sure. You know where I live. I'll be home every night this week except for Thurs PM when I'm riding. I'll get the tires setup tubeless tomorrow and I have a non-offset rigid post so you can sit on it and see what you think about the fit/sizing.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Nice looking bike. I like the color. I think I've only seen raw aluminum in the wild?

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike. I like the color. I think I've only seen raw aluminum in the wild?

I was going for Raw just because it was no cost and pretty good looking. Then I was tempted by army green for a MASH-esque build and then I saw the white bike GG posted on the website and decided white was the way to go.

I'm a social media whore so a bike that pops in photos in the forest is handy. Since that's 90% of our local riding.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Looks like a lot of fun.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Here is the bike out of the box and most of the parts. I didn't buy tires or a dropper from GG so I'll need to add those to the mix. It'll take me a bit to get the bike built and rolling. I'll get some better photos with proper lighting as well.

Bike was packed well. No damage or anything of that nature in transit.

Geeking out on it the bike finish quality, welds, assembly, etc... all look great. GG got all my special requests sorted. Frame size looks about right...at least as much as you can eyeball these things.

The overall look of the frame is pretty badass in a purposefully industrial sort of way. It's refined enough you can tell it's not a first generation product on the other hand it still has a touch of mad scientist enginerd.

It reminds me a bit of the 26er SC Nomad MK2 that I rode for 9yrs and just sold this past winter. I'm hoping the Smash ends up being the 29er version of that bike for me for the next 9yrs. What I loved about the Nomad was it was burly enough for any trail I had the balls to ride, but pedalled well enough for an all day epic. It was always ready to shred, never let me down and I never had to worry about it if we took a tumble in the rocks.

As I was thinking about the Smash I wanted to end up with a similar feel/capability, but with bigger wheels and a more modern geo + parts kit. Obviously time will tell, but I'm feeling good about the first impressions of the new GG bike.
    We must be drinking the same Kool-Aid. I'm currently riding a V2 Nomad that I've had since 2012. I resemble your remark about wanting similar capability in a wagon-wheeled machine with new age suspension and geometry. My only gripe about the Nomad is how harsh it rides for such a long travel machine. To be fair, that is compared to all the new bikes which are all really good nowadays...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by msedly View Post
    We must be drinking the same Kool-Aid. I'm currently riding a V2 Nomad that I've had since 2012. I resemble your remark about wanting similar capability in a wagon-wheeled machine with new age suspension and geometry. My only gripe about the Nomad is how harsh it rides for such a long travel machine. To be fair, that is compared to all the new bikes which are all really good nowadays...
    I sent my DHX Air shock to Avalanche Racing for a custom tune and it was the best Nomad upgrade in all 9yrs. Super plush, but lots of mid-stroke support so the bike pedalled pretty well. I didn't find it harsh at all. In fact it was the most plush FS bike I've ever owned.

To the other point the GG bikes seem like a good choice for folks thinking like we are. Capable, burly, modern geo, adjustable suspension and customizable parts kit. That checks a lot of boxes for me.

Anyways good to here some Mk2 Nomad love. People flip bikes and move onto the next thing so fast it's crazy. I love how a really well designed bike stands the test of time despite the hype machine moving on.

I sold my Nomad to a buddy so I'll still get to see it and ride with it a bunch.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Learning to Fly
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the vicarious thread! Iím four weeks out on a large raw w/ 51 ribbon coil and SD coil. Super excited and as you know, waiting hurts.

Graphic Design OCD showing here but... Do your XM 1501s have red graphic bits on the hubs and rims? I swear Iíve seen all gray versions. Colorway problems are real!

Will look forward to your ride impressions. Took a new carbon Smuggler for a rip in Bellingham over the weekend. Very similar numbers, less travel and rode amazing! If the Smash is that good Iíd be stoked, but I think itís gonna be even better!

mtbr member

I got some 2.4" Conti Trail Kings mounted on the DT Swiss rims last night. I love how easy it is to mount tires tubeless these days. Tires popped onto the rims no problem and seated nicely. The tires looked to have lots of clearance in the frame. I'll have to see how much room there is at full compression between the tire and the back of the seat tube. That's a bit more hassle with a coil shock than an air shock.

2.4" TKs have been my go to tires the last 6-7 years. So I figured I should start with them on the Smash and see what the bike rides like rather than change all the variables. If there is room for a bigger volume tire I'll probably try that later in the summer.

The rim width looks good for any tires I am likely to run on the bike. Wheels are pretty light. POE feels good in the stand anyways. All in all I'm satisfied with the choice of these wheels.

I like how the the bolt on axles front and back operate. They are simple, clean looking and easy to operate. I don't get flats often or race so getting the wheels off at light speed isn't much of an issue for me.

Once I mounted the wheels into the frame and got the bike level it was a bit easier to evaluate the seated and standing dimensions as well as the wheel base. Despite only being a medium this is a big bike. I'm feeling good about the size choice.

I got some clear protective film mounted on the toptube, downtube and back of the seattube. Thin stuff mostly for cosmetic protection.

With the wheels on I gave the fork and the shock a bit of a push test and they feel good. I haven't had dual coil bike since ~Y2K. Definitely feels different.

I need to swing by the LBS after work today. I'll try and get the pedals mounted and dropper installed tonight. I'm riding Thurs after work, but have most of Friday to get the touch points and suspension dialled.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeachesN'Cream View Post
    Thanks for the vicarious thread! Iím four weeks out on a large raw w/ 51 ribbon coil and SD coil. Super excited and as you know, waiting hurts.

Graphic Design OCD showing here but... Do your XM 1501s have red graphic bits on the hubs and rims? I swear Iíve seen all gray versions. Colorway problems are real!

Will look forward to your ride impressions. Took a new carbon Smuggler for a rip in Bellingham over the weekend. Very similar numbers, less travel and rode amazing! If the Smash is that good Iíd be stoked, but I think itís gonna be even better!
    I'm excited for you. Getting the Smash after a bit of a wait for the MRP Coil and opening the box did not disappoint. GG meet all expectations so far.

So my wheels are black, grey and white....no red. That said I believe Jubal mentioned that I got the last set of the batch and they were getting new versions of these wheels in. We weren't talking colourways so they may be the exact same colours. I would ask GG. If that's important to you.

The wheels I have been riding the last ~5 years have been carbon with no decals. I kinda hate rim graphics as they are often obnoxious and make the bike look trashy. To me anyways. If I had an option I'd have gone murdered out for the wheels, but the DT Swiss graphics aren't awful. They are subtle enough to blend in with the rest of the bike rather than than screaming "Look at me!" like your drunk uncle at the family reunion.

Transition makes some nice bikes and they are awesome folks to deal with, but I think GG makes a better product. Obviously I am biased with a new GG bike and I'd happily ride a Transition if the stars aligned. Comparing the Smuggler to the Smash or TP I think the adjustable suspension options and much much better tire clearance put the GG over the top.

Good luck with the wait. I can sympathise with how long it can seem. But, looking back at this moment from the end of the summer you'll be real happy you made the choice you did and waited a little bit.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Out spokin'
    I like how the the bolt on axles front and back operate. They are simple, clean looking and easy to operate.
    Bolt-on axles were new to me when I got my GG Pistola 15 months ago. I like bolt-on axles, too. But I don't understand why the hex holes aren't the same size in both axles. Front is 6mm, rear is 5mm. Really? WTF? A minor annoyance I guess.

Nice wheels. I'll have to give the Conti TKs a try sometime.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    But I don't understand why the hex holes aren't the same size in both axles. Front is 6mm, rear is 5mm. Really? WTF?
    Frame made by Company A.
    Rear axle made by Company B.
    Fork axle made by Company C.

Hard to nail down every detail when you are dealing with a bunch of different companies to make a complete bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

My slow AF Smash build chugs along. I got the pedals, chain and dropper/saddle [sort of] installed. The dropper isn't cabled, but this did allow me to sit on the bike and dial in the fit a bit as well as check out the suspension sag.

Sitting and attack position fit feel really good. Lots of room for both riding positions without being too big. The Smash feels like an incrementally larger bike than my 275er. That's what I was going for so having the geo chart analysis translate into reality is awesome.

My last bike I used the geo chart to size the frame and after a couple rides I was buying the next bigger frame and selling the smaller frame at a loss. So happy to have nailed it the first time.

I measured the actual STA [at the middle of my saddle rails] with a 1" setback droppper and got 74.5 deg. Just leaning against the wall backpedalling with 175mm cranks the position feels pretty good.

The 780mm bars came with 20mm of spacers underneath and 10mm above. That felt too high. I moved one 10mm spacer from underneath to the top of the steerer. That feels better. I'll cut 20mm off the steerer and keep one 10mm spacer. That way I can move the bar up and down a bit depending how I am feeling.

Typically I like narrower bars than 780mm, but I'll roll with them and see what happens. Maybe with the bigger 29er wheels I'll prefer more leverage. Stem is 50mm. Feels fine. I may be able to go down to a 40mm or 45mm stem and still have enough seated room. I'll stick with 50mm for now and see what happens.

With air suspension I'd be dialling the pressure/spring rate by measuring sag. Reading more about suspension tuning and having coils at both ends. I just played around with the fork and shock a bit to see if the springs seemed reasonable. I adjusted the LSC wide open on both and enough rebound to seem okay. I reduced the Ramp Control in the fork a few clicks. Beyond that I'll follow the advice I am reading which is to 1) ignore parking lot tests for the most part and 2) don't worry about sag/using full travel too much. Worry about how the bike feels riding.

Obviously there is no way to avoid "parking lot testing" a new FS bike and the spring weights are definitely in the ballpark. The coils have this counter intuitive supple top and then quickly firm up feel. It'll be interesting to see what happens on the trail.

GG had the shifting dialled and the chain cut to length so I just had to install the QR link and bolt on the derailleur. I'm not a shift snob who analyses every 0.5 microsecond of a shift and I don't mind varying RPM a bit so I don't shift 10 times a minute either. GX Eagle will make me happy. Lots of gear range. Shifter is ergonomic for me and shifting action is crisp and fast.

I'll get nothing done today on the Smash as I have a big day at work and then PM ride on the 275er, but Friday is wide open so I'll get the dropper cabled in and do some urban assault riding to tune the suspension a bit more.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    That is one nice looking bike, Vik!

mtbr member
    That is one nice looking bike, Vik!
    Thanks better pics to come. I'm just grabbing whatever phone pics I can get for now before the sun goes down.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks better pics to come. I'm just grabbing whatever phone pics I can get for now before the sun goes down.
    It better have some dirt on it in the next pics Happy for you that think looks sick!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for giving all of us 'waiting' on a Smash something to read.

What rise do you have in the bars? Since I upped to Large (from considering a Medium), I also opted for shorter [10mm] rise bars, and shorter [40mm] stem. I saw more than one comment about how making a smaller bike 'fit' like a larger bike was not how these were designed..and opted to make the Large 'fit' a bit smaller instead.. From prev bikes I learned I'd rather have the shorter stem and quicker steering/response. Pretty convinced this bike is going to feel huge to begin with already (coming from an old short/small 26"), figured it'd help a little bit with that concern..yet still be easy parts to swap if it feels too 'wrong' to me.
    '18 Guerilla Gravity Smash 140/150 29"
    '05 Giant Reign 150/130 26"

mtbr member
    On my Ribbon Coil I'm not using anywhere near full travel, but the fork feels very good and that's what really matters.

WIGGLER
    Smashed the Island it is!!
    Last edited by todwil; 04-19-2018 at 02:51 PM.
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

MR. 36er TROLL

I'm sorry what part of "BIGLY" didn't you understand?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rotax7 View Post
    Thanks for giving all of us 'waiting' on a Smash something to read.

What rise do you have in the bars? Since I upped to Large (from considering a Medium), I also opted for shorter [10mm] rise bars, and shorter [40mm] stem. I saw more than one comment about how making a smaller bike 'fit' like a larger bike was not how these were designed..and opted to make the Large 'fit' a bit smaller instead.
    I definitely went the other way on fit and I am not doing things 100% as GG planned. But, 1) my trails are very very very different from what I see in videos from CO and 2) I wanted to use a 1" setback dropper to get a comfortable/efficient pedalling position so that makes my Eff TT on a medium the same as a large.

I asked for the low rise bars so I assume they are 10mm rise, but I haven't verified that yet.

Despite going down one size the Smash is still noticeably bigger than my 275er which was noticeably bigger than the bike it replaced. Over three bikes the WB of my rides has expanded something like 3". Going to a large just seemed like a bridge too far.

But, who knows maybe a year from now I'll order up a large Smash front triangle and when I am leaving the island for the desert maybe I'll build up a longer bike and exploit that 49" WB at Mach Chicken!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I am looking forward to your maiden voyage thoughts.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Despite going down one size the Smash is still noticeably bigger than my 275er which was noticeably bigger than the bike it replaced. Over three bikes the WB of my rides has expanded something like 3". Going to a large just seemed like a bridge too far.

But, who knows maybe a year from now I'll order up a large Smash front triangle and when I am leaving the island for the desert maybe I'll build up a longer bike and exploit that 49" WB at Mach Chicken!
    I went from a bike with 44" WB to a medium Shred Dogg which shows 47.4" on the GG site and I run a 160mm fork with a -1 degree angle set so it should be slightly longer than that. I was concerned about the numbers on paper and so I had it stuck in my head for the first hour or so that "man such this is such a big bike I am going to have to try really hard to get used to it." Well without any real effort on my part I guess I did get used to it because it hasn't entered my mind since. All the stuff I thought it would suck at for this reason, manuals, tight corners, climbing, it actually feels like it does better than my previous bike.
    ***standard opinion of an amateur disclaimer ***

mtbr member

Yeah! Bike complete.

I'm happy to report that I could slam the 175mm 9.8 dropper all the way to the collar. I may have been able to fit a 200mm dropper even, but I didn't want to get greedy and have fitment issues. Besides 175mm is 25mm more than I have ever had.

A shoutout to GG for the best cable routing management setup I have ever used. Clean, simple and easy. I'm one of those folks who doesn't see the point in hiding 18" of housing at the expense of a more complicated/expensive frame and more hassle when doing maintenance. If the look of the housing bothered me I'd just use white and it would disappear against the frame.

I need to head to work for a couple hours. I f__ked something up and need to sort it out. So first ride report will have to wait until after lunch. Not ideal, but I gotta pay for this new bike bling somehow.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast