Smashing my garage- Mtbr.com
    Out spokin'

Smashing my garage

Smashing my garage-06e7d377-619f-40e1-9b36-42e77d8fb672.jpg
    Itís been wet here in Oregonís Willamette Valley. Last week we were under evacuation orders for a flood (thankfully my abode stayed higher than the rising waters). Six weeks before that we suffered a couple feet of snow in a place that doesnít even receive snow every year. Bottom line: thousands of trees down. Trails are covered in stacks of tree trunks and debris ó weíll be doing even more trailwork this year than usual (understatement).

And these dense forests require a lot of trailwork even following a ďnormalĒ winter.

So Iím looking at this thing in my garage and fantasizing about getting it out to play. (Either one, actually, but I prefer the Smash.) It may be old (aluminum frame, got it in August Ď18) but I got a metal bike because I wanted a metal bike, so thereís that. I do love it. Iíve ridden the Black Stallion quite a bit since acquiring it, most recently on a 6 week snowbird trip to Las Vegas, Prescott, Sedona & Tucson ó that was a nice break from the PNW winter rain. Though the desert suffered a real winter this year, too.

Anyway local snow and rain and floodwaters leave me longing for whatís yet to come ó tacky singletrack that weaves though dense old growth rainforests. Plenty of that around here, along with rivers and lakes and mountains. Iím suffering cabin fever. Wanna get out in it.

Patience required. Meanwhile, trailwork. Hope yíall are able to get out to ride even as some of us feel somewhat trapped.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06E7D377-619F-40E1-9B36-42E77D8FB672.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	308.5 KB 
ID:	1246919
    It may be old (aluminum frame, got it in August Ď18) but I got a metal bike because I wanted a metal bike, so thereís that. I do love it.
    Hang in there. That's a sweet bike and worth the wait for the trails to be ready. Any chance for another road trip even a few days somewhere rideable?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Hang in there. That's a sweet bike and worth the wait for the trails to be ready. Any chance for another road trip even a few days somewhere rideable?
    Over the weekend I headed east over the Cascades and rode a couple places north of Bend (Maston & Peterson Ridge) -- managed to get 30 miles. It was actually nice, although I took the Honzo because that's my winter bike and I wasn't sure what I'd find over there. There are other riding opps about an hour and a half from my house, the coast (Cape Mtn), Catamount, Blackrock, maybe Sandy Ridge. So yeah, I could drive a bunch and get wheels on the ground.

Just frustrated because I'm used to living a half an hour from some of the best singletrack Oregon has to offer and it's nearly all inaccessible right now. Okay, I'll stop whining. Needed to vent, I guess. Thanks for listening. I'm actually optimistic, just impatient.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Out spokin'
    Smashing my garage-6b36ae52-f05a-4674-b68f-8ae72694514c.jpg
    Hereís a photo of Black Crater & Mt. Washington, taken Saturday from Peterson Ridge. Felt good to be out of the rain. Trails I rode on the east side of the Cascades were in good shape. Iíll be heading back over there in a couple weeks for a big Disciples Of Dirt MBC campout, the 27th annual Spring Barbie Camp. No kidding, thatís the name of it, and the link is legit. Join the fun if you get the chance, the riding is good and the big bonfires in the evenings make for a lively event. Brew sponsors are Oakshire Brewing (Eugene) and Planktown (Springfield). Hope to see you there ó bring your GG bike!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Wow, bummer, we're drying out, got out a couple times yesterday, pretty regular riding for the past month, stioll no high country but all my backyard trails are good and the foothills are good. Maybe a trip south is due??

I got tired of the snow, did a Carson-Vegas-St George-SLC-Carson loop a few weeks back, started with some nice XC riding in Beaty, then some rock crawling in St George, and finished up with some mixed riding in Winnemucca.
    For Sale: XMed GG Smash Frameset +
    Pending: Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Wow, bummer, we're drying out, got out a couple times yesterday, pretty regular riding for the past month, stioll no high country but all my backyard trails are good and the foothills are good. Maybe a trip south is due??

I got tired of the snow, did a Carson-Vegas-St George-SLC-Carson loop a few weeks back, started with some nice XC riding in Beaty, then some rock crawling in St George, and finished up with some mixed riding in Winnemucca.
    I've always considered Beaty such an armpit but recently heard there's some good riding there. My GF & I have started our previous two snowbird trips in Death Valley so Beaty is on our way. Not sure we'll go back to DV next January but if we do, we'll hit it up.

Ridden Guacamole, Gooseberry & Little Creek Mesas & JEM but missed St. George so gotta go there. Loved Prescott and Sedona -- OMG. Rode Sedona once before but didn't remember HiLine being so, uh, challenging (but I was a younger man then). Anyway, so many trails, so little time.

Returning to rainy Orygun anytime berfore May may lead to disappointment. Honestly, it doesn't really dry out on this side of the Cascades until the 4th of July. Not kidding. But after that, holy smoke, this place is heaven until around the first of November. Sheesh, that's only four months of awesomeness. Guess I need a second home.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org