mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Shred dogg - Seatstays, shock, wheel sizes

Hi folks,

First sorry for my swinglish (Swiss guy trying to write English, pretty hard for me) and for starting a new thread. Pretty sure I would find some answers if I would search longer.

Owning a 5 years old Banshee Spitfire, the new Revved GG seems to be what I'm looking for. As you surely already know, Banshee is offering some of their bikes with the possibility to switch between wheel sizes, by switching the drop-outs. And that's the kind of things I love. A Shred dogg is almost exactly what I'm looking for. Geometry just in the sweet spot. Some nice and clever features (like the cable/hose routing or the bottle/material support). Clean lines and built to last.

As the Shred Dogg is able to take up to 27.5 x 2.8'' tires, I was asking myself if 29'' wheels with narrower tires would fit ? Or would a Trail Pistol take 27.5 wheels ? Sure yes and with a 15mm headset cup it would for sure be ok for the bottom bracket ? The same on the opposite way on the Shred Dogg or is there any clearance risk on the rear with the frame ?

I know I could just afford the kit developed for that, but you know, changing it....

There is a last thing I have some difficulties to understand; the 3mm offset. I understand the principle, a rim more centered between the hubs flanges and therefore better spoke tensions (almost the same on Bothe drive and non-drive sides). If I buy the wheels from GG directly with the frame, does the wheels comes adapted to the frame ? I would certainly take some DT Swiss wheels (remember, Swiss guy).

Sorry for that very very long post and al the mistakes in it....

Sam

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Samos View Post
    A Shred dogg is almost exactly what I'm looking for. Geometry just in the sweet spot. Some nice and clever features (like the cable/hose routing or the bottle/material support). Clean lines and built to last.
    Sounds like a Shred Dogg is right up your alley.

If I buy the wheels from GG directly with the frame, does the wheels comes adapted to the frame ? I would certainly take some DT Swiss wheels (remember, Swiss guy).
    If you buy wheels with a frame for GG they'll drop right in and work without additional tweaking.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Shred Dogg is 27.5 specific, so it probably won’t fit 29” wheels; maybe in the short travel setting? You should probably ask GG via email.

Who needs 29” wheels if you can run 27.5 x 2.8?

Hi folks,

First sorry for my swinglish (Swiss guy trying to write English, pretty hard for me) and for starting a new thread. Pretty sure I would find some answers if I would search longer.

Owning a 5 years old Banshee Spitfire, the new Revved GG seems to be what I'm looking for. As you surely already know, Banshee is offering some of their bikes with the possibility to switch between wheel sizes, by switching the drop-outs. And that's the kind of things I love. A Shred dogg is almost exactly what I'm looking for. Geometry just in the sweet spot. Some nice and clever features (like the cable/hose routing or the bottle/material support). Clean lines and built to last.

As the Shred Dogg is able to take up to 27.5 x 2.8'' tires, I was asking myself if 29'' wheels with narrower tires would fit ? Or would a Trail Pistol take 27.5 wheels ? Sure yes and with a 15mm headset cup it would for sure be ok for the bottom bracket ? The same on the opposite way on the Shred Dogg or is there any clearance risk on the rear with the frame ?

I know I could just afford the kit developed for that, but you know, changing it....

There is a last thing I have some difficulties to understand; the 3mm offset. I understand the principle, a rim more centered between the hubs flanges and therefore better spoke tensions (almost the same on Bothe drive and non-drive sides). If I buy the wheels from GG directly with the frame, does the wheels comes adapted to the frame ? I would certainly take some DT Swiss wheels (remember, Swiss guy).

Sorry for that very very long post and al the mistakes in it....

Sam
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+ (Frameset For Sale)
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak 29+
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Sounds like a Shred Dogg is right up your alley.

If you buy wheels with a frame for GG they'll drop right in and work without additional tweaking.
    Thanks for your answers. And if I source wheels from anybody els, I will have do tinker it.... pretty annoying this.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    The Shred Dogg is 27.5 specific, so it probably won’t fit 29” wheels; maybe in the short travel setting? You should probably ask GG via email.

Who needs 29” wheels if you can run 27.5 x 2.8?
    I will ask GG. Thanks for your answer.

As I never rode 29’’ I’m not sure about it. Let’s go through another discussion with me and myself about it....

mtbr member
    Thanks for your answers. And if I source wheels from anybody els, I will have do tinker it.... pretty annoying this.
    Life can be hard sometimes.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Ebike Evangelist!!
    Sep 2005
    You will need to get a seatstay kit to run 29 on the shred dog. I have the alu version and really like running mixed wheels. E.g. 29 in the front with 27.5 in the rear. And I generally just rock the smash stays, even when I go smaller in the rear. Works well for the Black Hills.

The offset for the rear is easy with a simple shim in the truing stand.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have two wheelsets with the offset and one without, there is hardly any noticeable difference, the GG chainstay clearance is substantial, even switching the offset wheels to a non GG bike is not an issue.

I mean really, 3mm, it’s a 1/8”, that’s pretty small, small enough that it’s not worth worrying about.

mtbr member

As I never rode 29’’ I’m not sure about it. Let’s go through another discussion with me and myself about it....

You could start with a 27.5 Shred Dogg and if you happen to change your mind down the road, then get the different seat stays and convert it to a Trail Pistol or Smash.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

I decided I wanted 29 inch wheels purely because "I like rollover" I went from 26 directly to 29. And I have never ridden 27.5 for any length of time. No regrets. My 2018 Smash is amazing - doesn't handle braking bumps quite as well as my 2006 VP though.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Chainstay length:

2018 SD/Smash 429mm
    2019 SD 423mm
    2019 Smash 434mm

More travel requires more clearance.