RS Deluxe RT vs Super Deluxe Coil- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

RS Deluxe RT vs Super Deluxe Coil

I am a non aggressive intermediate trail rider trying to decide what shock to go with. I have decided on tbe MRP Ribbon Air Fork and I'm wondering if the coil shock would be of any benefit to me?

Although I can't find its actual weight on line, I believe it adds almost a half pound to the bikes build. Thanks

mtbr member
    Adds 1.2.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    I am a non aggressive intermediate trail rider trying to decide what shock to go with. I have decided on tbe MRP Ribbon Air Fork and I'm wondering if the coil shock would be of any benefit to me?
    The more suppleness and traction matter for your local riding the more I would head towards the coil. If you are riding lots of smooth flow trails with tons of hook up it's not such a compelling case for coil. OTOH if you ride lots of chunk and have to deal with loose steep climbs it could be just the ticket.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Here is the thread I started on a coil fork. Hopefully it helps.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...7&share_type=t

Help me understand Coil vs Dual Air spring forks

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    Here is the thread I started on a coil fork. Hopefully it helps.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...7&share_type=t

Help me understand Coil vs Dual Air spring forks

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    I have previously decided on a coil fork, now deciding on the rear shock.

mtbr member
    What frame are you looking at? I'm building a shred dogg with RT but have a coil with megatrail sizing. Best of all worlds.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCBigHit View Post
    What frame are you looking at? I'm building a shred dogg with RT but have a coil with megatrail sizing. Best of all worlds.
    Going to order a Trail Pistol with the MRP coil fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Adds 1.2.

That's a big difference, about the same as a carbon frame vs an aluminum one.

mtbr member
    I've ridden a TP with the RT and I thought it was a blast. It pedalled really well and handled rocks and roots just fine. It didn't flatten everything like a bigger bike would--ie you're not on a magic carpet, but I had good traction in turns and was plenty comfortable. I think for a self described nonaggressive intermediate, the RT will be just fine once tuned correctly and you'll enjoy the lighter weight, better pedaling and poppier ride. The biggest advantage of a coil in my experience is that it can provide better traction in low traction situations like loose over hard, mud, off-camber wet roots in turns. If you're pushing for that last 5-10% of descending and cornering performance at the edge of your comfort/ability envelope, the coil can help. If that's not your primary objective, air with it's light weight and easy tunability may be a good starting point. Just my 0.02.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    I've ridden a TP with the RT and I thought it was a blast. It pedalled really well and handled rocks and roots just fine. It didn't flatten everything like a bigger bike would--ie you're not on a magic carpet, but I had good traction in turns and was plenty comfortable. I think for a self described nonaggressive intermediate, the RT will be just fine once tuned correctly and you'll enjoy the lighter weight, better pedaling and poppier ride. The biggest advantage of a coil in my experience is that it can provide better traction in low traction situations like loose over hard, mud, off-camber wet roots in turns. If you're pushing for that last 5-10% of descending and cornering performance at the edge of your comfort/ability envelope, the coil can help. If that's not your primary objective, air with it's light weight and easy tunability may be a good starting point. Just my 0.02.
    This. ^^

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    This. ^^
    I had a detailed and informative discussion this afternoon with Nick from MRP bike regarding my decision between a Ribbon Fork, air or coil.

As a result, I've decided to go with the air fork and he himself owns a Trail Pistol with the air fork and the RT shock and stated that he finds to be a perfect matchup.

Based on our discussion I've decided to go with the Ribbon Air fork and the standard Rock Shox Deluxe RT. I'm sure I will be very happy with this setup..

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've had three shocks on my Pistola, the RT, Deluxe Coil, and now RC3. In my opinion if speed and control is your mission while trying to keep the back wheel on the ground, the coil is the way to go. However, if you're like me and like to get the rear wheel off the ground, the Deluxe air is the choice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    I've had three shocks on my Pistola, the RT, Deluxe Coil, and now RC3. In my opinion if speed and control is your mission while trying to keep the back wheel on the ground, the coil is the way to go. However, if you're like me and like to get the rear wheel off the ground, the Deluxe air is the choice.
    I am an older conservative rider so I'm thinking the RT should be fine for me and I'll be going with the MRP air fork.

mtbr member
    I picked up a take-off RT on the cheap to try my TP in 120 with a climbing PR in the crosshairs. I got that PR, though the shock felt considerably more active in ďlockoutĒ than the SD coil does in lockout. The bike felt lighter and pretty snappy, even through more movement in the shock.

What I didnít expect to do was to beat a downhill PR by a considerable margin. It didnít feel as composed as the coil but the bike was a freakin rocket out of the corners.

That little RT unit ainít nothin to sleep on!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    I picked up a take-off RT on the cheap to try my TP in 120 with a climbing PR in the crosshairs. I got that PR, though the shock felt considerably more active in ďlockoutĒ than the SD coil does in lockout. The bike felt lighter and pretty snappy, even through more movement in the shock.

What I didnít expect to do was to beat a downhill PR by a considerable margin. It didnít feel as composed as the coil but the bike was a freakin rocket out of the corners.

That little RT unit ainít nothin to sleep on!
    Interesting analysis and as a recreational biker, I'm sure the RT will be much better than I need relative to my skill level and my awareness with different suspension components. I'm not even sure if my current bikes suspension is set up properly and this is some I need to focus on. Adjust it the standard setting and then tweak it during riding in order to experiment with the different settings. I would imagine this to be the only way to determinne your preferred ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    I can't seem to find it anywhere - what's the difference betwen the RT and the RC3 besides the lockout?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kablamo View Post
    I can't seem to find it anywhere - what's the difference betwen the RT and the RC3 besides the lockout?
    I believe that is the only difference !

I ordered a Trail Pistol and went for the MRP Fork @nd the standard shock so I should be in for a real nice ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Also the RT doesnít have a piggy back reservoir