Revved Sizing - Everyone Happy So Far?- Mtbr.com
    Formerly PaintPeelinPbody

Revved Sizing - Everyone Happy So Far?

When I look at the Revved sizing charts and compare against the alloy models, I can't help but think my Extra Medium Smash was a fair bit longer when seated (based on ETT.)

This has got me nervous that although the my Size 3 Revved Trail Pistol will fit really good, if I convert it to a Smash it might feel a bit small.

So far, is everyone happy with their Size 3 Revved bikes? Anyone wishing maybe they had waited for a Size 4 instead?
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

Short-Change-Hero
    I voted on your poll on Facebook....
    Still doing some cockpit tweaking but I have moved my saddle forward. I know that I originally said I had it slammed back up after some more riding and fit, I have moved it forwards slightly and the feel is much better.

Direct answer: Yes, completely happy with the Size3 at my size (6', +1.5" apex index, 31" inseam, long torso/arms with shorter legs. As I ride more I will continue to tweak the cockpit slightly now that I have a good fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    When I look at the Revved sizing charts and compare against the alloy models, I can't help but think my Extra Medium Smash was a fair bit longer when seated (based on ETT.)

This has got me nervous that although the my Size 3 Revved Trail Pistol will fit really good, if I convert it to a Smash it might feel a bit small.

So far, is everyone happy with their Size 3 Revved bikes? Anyone wishing maybe they had waited for a Size 4 instead?
    Initially my Size 3 Shred Dogg felt shorter than my Extra Medium Smash. Both bikes use a 160mm fork, 140mm rear travel, 27.5 plus wheels. The fork on the Smash was 29/27+ so it had an additional 15mm of A-C. Adjusting geo for my fork A-C:

ETT is very different on these two bikes, 625 vs 643. My initial seated position felt short, so I slid the seat back for a few rides, then I gradually moved it back to center where it has stayed. I think this difference is entirely due to the steepened HTA (77.6 vs 74.8)

Reach, which is really more evident standing, is very similar in feel; as the number would support (490 vs 493).

CS is reduced 423 vs 429. I can feel this reduction as reduction in stability at speed and increased agility and playfulness. Pros and cons, just depends how you slice it. This is what I wanted, otherwise I would have kept riding my Smash.

So overall impressions:

Very similar ride feel to my Smash
    Stiffer overall frame
    Lower BB is a bummer, my only regret
    More agile and a little more squirrely
    Shorter ST = longer dropper
    Shorter SO is a win
    I miss my coil, but I'll live; can always get one later.
    Better climber, yes, the Smash climbed well, but the Shred climbs like a machine.

I'm still playing with suspension, working out the kinks in my fork, got the back end pretty close to settled, could totally go for a 200mm dropper, also looking at changing tires, got a Minion DHF 2.8 to install and may get a Minion DHR 2.6 or just keep the HD 2.8 out back.

So the question: Could I ride a Size 4 Short?

Probably, maybe, don't know that I want to. As much as I've grown to like longer bikes, the Extra Medium Smash was a tad long at times, even had the seat forward a 1/4" while running a 35mm stem.

When I was looking at the new frames, the 'steeper STA-reduced ETT-same reach' are what sold me on making the switch. That said, the ETT on a Size 4 Short would be nearly the same as the reach on my Extra Medium Smash BUT with a big uptick in reach (20mm).

In terms of actual set up, measuring from the tip of my saddle to the bar center, I am able to get the same distance on my Size 3 Shred as I had on the Extra Medium Smash, reach is within 3mm, so it fits more or less the same.

I'm 6', 33" inseam, apey index plus by a couple inches, running a 35mm stem, 750mm bars, 170mm dropper with ~40mm showing, 165mm cranks. I may go to a 50mm stem just to see how that feels in terms of stability.

That said, I'm not sure why the OP would think the Revved Smash would fit differently than a Revved Trail Pistol ... the difference is only in the chainstays, the long chainstays on the new Smash are long, but I didn't notice it when I rode Greg's Size 3 Long.
    For Sale: XMed GG Smash Frameset +
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

The Smash fits a bit different because the Revved Smash has a longer fork than the old Smash, and because the Revved Trail Pistol has a much lower front end.

The fact that you were able to get the "Seat Nose to Stem Clamp Center" to within 3mm tells me that the bike are definitely not as far off as I originally thought, and I'm kicking myself for not taking that measurement when I had my XM Smash.

I think I'll be alright with Size 3.

The other thing I have to remember is that the Size 4 Long is equivelent to a XL, the Size 4 Short is similar to a longer "Large" and the Size 3 long still was intended to match the Extra Medium, and GG wouldn't point all of us 6' riders toward a too-small bike.

always licking the glass
    This is out of the size 3, but into the size 2.

I took my Megatrail/Shred Dogg (small AL) took GG and had them take measurements and compare my setup to the prototype size 2 they had. I ordered a size 2 Shred Dogg.

It looks like I can make it work with a size 2 short, and that should be just right. I could ride a size 1 long, but the size 2 short looked like it would be better, since I came off a XS onto a small just a few months ago.

I did switch up my 170mm ACS3 fork with a coil shock AL Megatrail to an air 160mm ACS3 fork with an air shock Shred Dogg. As much as I like the Megatrail, I figure riding the Shred Dogg in gravity mode will make it feel a bit more in the bike and less twitchy.

I'm starting off the revved Shred Dogg with a DPX2, but I'm probably going to also include a coil as well in the future.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

I think another thing that throws me off is that I don't really know the ETT of the Extra Medium Smash.

Because the ETT would be calculated at 20mm shorter Head Tube Length (than a Large), it would actually come down the Seat Post 20mm, making that distance shorter. So the ETT of the XM Smash might be more like...640mm (compared to S3L of 628).

Likewise, reach changes depending on A2C of the fork. Run a longer fork on a bike with listed reach of 490mm might make the reach 485mm by pushing the front end up, closer to vertical centerline of the BB.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    I think another thing that throws me off is that I don't really know the ETT of the Extra Medium Smash.

Because the ETT would be calculated at 20mm shorter Head Tube Length (than a Large), it would actually come down the Seat Post 20mm, making that distance shorter. So the ETT of the XM Smash might be more like...640mm (compared to S3L of 628).

Likewise, reach changes depending on A2C of the fork. Run a longer fork on a bike with listed reach of 490mm might make the reach 485mm by pushing the front end up, closer to vertical centerline of the BB.
    Don't forget that reach also changes based on how high you run your bars up the the steerer tube. This can negatively affect the reach a bit depending on if you run your stem slammed or with a bunch of spacers. I was unaware of this until reading this article..
    https://enduro-mtb.com/en/the-right-mtb-handlebar-rise/

My bike came stock with 20mm rise bars. I am running them with ~15mm of spacers under the stem and finding that I now have a bit more hand fatigue than usual. I am contemplating running a higher rise bar vs. moving the stem up as I feel the reach is just fine and raising the stem up ~5mm could negatively affect that.

I will probably play with the stem height first then potentially order new bars. 30mm vs. 40mm bars is then the question.

mtbr member
    Yep, and the slacker the head angle, and the more headset spacers you add, the more the stem comes toward you, and if you lengthen the stem you are also raising the bars. On my rig, 2018 MT size large, 10mm spacers and 50mm stem feels really good and the bike is balanced. A 35mm stem with the same spacers and bike felt funky and with a very small balance sweet spot. With a 5mm of spacers and the 50mm there was too much weight on my hands and the front end felt heavy. Little tweaks do make a difference.

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by polarflux View Post
    Little tweaks do make a difference.
    A nice thing about the potential of the geoAdjust. Adds in an additional way of tailoring or selecting frames to match your preference.

Sort of a rare win-win for both customer & mfgr. Mfgrs benefit from more enticing sizes (fit) on the same ft. triangle, customers benefit with ability to fine tune adjustments in a single frame purchase.

That said, 20mm is a big swing so the overlap options may not apply to everyone & sometimes options/choices can be overwhelming.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    User ETT depends on set up: seat height and trim, stem length, bar type and position, which is why I use a measurement from nose of seat to bar center as my starting point.

All that said, I think GG massaged the geo on the Revved so it would cover the bases for folks in between and on either end, so in the case of a Size 3, the fit covers riders who could ride a medium or a large 2018 frame.

My brother is 5'8"/5'9", normal reach, and he could fit a Size 3 short or a size 2 long.

Seriously, what other bike mfg has a frame that can change between two entirely different from triangles with a cup swap AND they offer a low or tall cup to adjust stack.

So I'd call the Size 1 a small, Size 2 a medium, the Size 3 a large, and the Size 4 an XL. All of which can be shortened or stretched to fit a wider variety or riders and styles.

Does GG want to chime in?
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'm 5'11" with a 31" inseam and demo'd a 2018 Smash size medium, it felt a *hair* small but I could have easily lived with it with adjustments to stem length and/or seat position. The 2018 large would've been too big. My Revved Smash size 3 with a 35mm stem in the long position feels dialed to me. What I love about the new frames is that geoadjust headset, gives me an additional 10mm to play around with to fine tune the fit. Can't believe this is such a new thing and that another manufacturer hadn't come up with this already.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So your a little more stretched out than me, I suspect I have a few years on you

As a "geriatric" rider, though I like a longer bike, but if I go too long I feel it at the end of the day.

I figured out my twitchiness issue: I was originally running a 29er Pike with the low cup, so when I changed to the 27.5 Fox 36 I forget to change the cup to the tall (doh!), so I was not as slack as I'm used to by a degree.

Switched cups yesterday and did a long ride, felt totally dialed, felt like my old Smash as a 27.5, but more agile. Seriously, I know the trail I rode yesterday, it has a bunch of super tight switchbacks; you know the kind where your doing a track stand as you meander your way around, and the SD was far easier to negotiate than the longer Smash.

I know how popular 29ers are these days, I like em too (for XC), but I think many people would have more fun if they stayed with a smaller wheel. It's no surprise that park riders and most enduro/DH riders are still on 27.5, just saying ...

Got a coil on the way, just couldn't help myself, Bomber CR

Great bike!

Quote Originally Posted by mallard View Post
    I'm 5'11" with a 31" inseam and demo'd a 2018 Smash size medium, it felt a *hair* small but I could have easily lived with it with adjustments to stem length and/or seat position. The 2018 large would've been too big. My Revved Smash size 3 with a 35mm stem in the long position feels dialed to me. What I love about the new frames is that geoadjust headset, gives me an additional 10mm to play around with to fine tune the fit. Can't believe this is such a new thing and that another manufacturer hadn't come up with this already.
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    So your a little more stretched out than me, I suspect I have a few years on you

As a "geriatric" rider, though I like a longer bike, but if I go too long I feel it at the end of the day.

I figured out my twitchiness issue: I was originally running a 29er Pike with the low cup, so when I changed to the 27.5 Fox 36 I forget to change the cup to the tall (doh!), so I was not as slack as I'm used to by a degree.

Switched cups yesterday and did a long ride, felt totally dialed, felt like my old Smash as a 27.5, but more agile. Seriously, I know the trail I rode yesterday, it has a bunch of super tight switchbacks; you know the kind where your doing a track stand as you meander your way around, and the SD was far easier to negotiate than the longer Smash.

I know how popular 29ers are these days, I like em too (for XC), but I think many people would have more fun if they stayed with a smaller wheel. It's no surprise that park riders and most enduro/DH riders are still on 27.5, just saying ...

Got a coil on the way, just couldn't help myself, Bomber CR

Great bike!
    LOL and now not only do you have a Forking FORK problem, but a SHOCKING Shock problem.... Greaaaatttt...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, but it’s not a bad thing really, having options is kinda nice.

I should have gotten a coil to start, but I got talked into the air ...

Swapping tires too, hit a DHF/DHR combo in process .. tire obsessions 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    LOL and now not only do you have a Forking FORK problem, but a SHOCKING Shock problem.... Greaaaatttt...
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I should have gotten a coil to start, but I got talked into the air ...
    At least it's a relatively easy fix.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL... well this is true!! Options are always good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    We’re in SLC for my daughters wedding, sitting in the hotel waiting for a ride to dinner, just got back from a ride on the new tires ((DHF/HRII), looking over at my SD, damn that is one good looking hike!

Revved Sizing - Everyone Happy So Far?-0d064cdf-5395-471d-a7cd-4ff24fa2893d.jpg
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak