Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol - Page 6- Mtbr.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 1,001 to 1,095 of 1095
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Pistola is bringing back my wagon wheel desire!

Two weeks and I havenít swapped in the 27+ wheels ... it could be love 💕
    GG Shred Dogg 27+/29 (go fast!)
    RSD Wildcat V2 (backyard kicks)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    The Pistola is bringing back my wagon wheel desire!

Two weeks and I havenít swapped in the 27+ wheels ... it could be love 💕
    It's almost like GG knew what they were doing when they built it with 29" wheels. I'm not sure why you'd think 27.5+ would be better. Slower, maybe... but definitely not better in any way.

Now if you took off that hideously ugly fork and put on a Lyrik or a Pike, you'd probably like it even better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Could a person run a 160mm Lyrik w short cup on a pistola setup?? I suspect the answer is "sure" - but what's the downside vs upside?

I just moved to BV full time. Picked up a RipmoAF earlier in the spring on a great deal... down here - im likely overbiked on what will be 80% of my regular rides. Don't get me wrong the Ripmo AF is a pretty brilliant bike... but im kinda wishing I'd gone GG - coulda had a smash and Pistol/Pistola w extra chain stays ...

nonetheless - could buy a frame and swap over like 95% of the kit and make it real easy. And worse case - air shaft swap to reduce Lyrik to 150...

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    Could a person run a 160mm Lyrik w short cup on a pistola setup?? I suspect the answer is "sure" - but what's the downside vs upside?

I just moved to BV full time. Picked up a RipmoAF earlier in the spring on a great deal... down here - im likely overbiked on what will be 80% of my regular rides. Don't get me wrong the Ripmo AF is a pretty brilliant bike... but im kinda wishing I'd gone GG - coulda had a smash and Pistol/Pistola w extra chain stays ...

nonetheless - could buy a frame and swap over like 95% of the kit and make it real easy. And worse case - air shaft swap to reduce Lyrik to 150...

Thoughts?
    Going to a 160mm fork you are going to slacken the ht angle a bit making the bike, in m opinion, less balanced and more for descending. Maybe others have done this and could give better input.

mtbr member
    People up-fork bikes by 20mm around here [Coastal BC] all the time and it's no big deal. 30mm is a bit more than typical, but I bet you'll be fine the Pistola has a steep STA. Your worst case is buying a shorter airshaft to go down to 150mm.

I've been thinking about a TP and I'd build it with a 140mm fork and a the higher lower headset cup. So that's like 30mm more fork. I think 140/120mm would be rad. I don't really need more travel upfront, but I'd use the higher cup to get a slacker HTA.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I ran a short cup 140mm, now running a tall cup with a Trust Message.

The Pistol/Pistola is specd with a short cup and a 140mm fork, so the geo will change another degree with a 160mm fork.

The downside is the suspension may not feel balanced.

Honestly, if thatís your bent, you should look at the Smash.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I did ride the Pistola with one of those old fashioned telescopic forks and it ride like shite 

Iím telling ya, Trust forks carve a turn like no other. It reminds me of the when I first used shaped skis; ainít never going back.

As for plus tires, when itís snowy and mucky, they are 👍

Edit: people get somcaught up in the idea of one wheel size or one travel size to rule them all. The reality is that each trail is different, how itís ridden, the rider, even the weather can favor one bike over another.

Iíve been rocking the two wheel/one bike system for a few years, now riding two bikes and four wheels. It works quite well, all of my wheels/bikes run the same drivetrain and rotor size, most of the time I donít have to adjust anything, five minutes and away we go.

Last week I was on vacation in Oregon, did not have room for a third bike, so I brought an extra set of wheels, ended up being nearly as good as having an extra bike. Even better, I can mullet style which is fun for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    It's almost like GG knew what they were doing when they built it with 29" wheels. I'm not sure why you'd think 27.5+ would be better. Slower, maybe... but definitely not better in any way.

Now if you took off that hideously ugly fork and put on a Lyrik or a Pike, you'd probably like it even better.

mtbr member
    The 130 Pistola setup with a 140 or 150mm front fork is about as good a trail bike as there is out there. I personally prefer my 140mm Lyrik on the front, as it keeps the HTA reasonable and the bike is still super playful. If you want to keep rocking the Trust forks, that's all good. To each their own, I guess.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks or the feedback - would likely just get the 140 or 150 airshaft if I determine to go this direction ... I've overworked some previous bikes and agree it caunpset the overall balance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks or the feedback - would likely just get the 140 or 150 airshaft if I determine to go this direction ... I've overworked some previous bikes and agree it caunpset the overall balance.
    I have the 140mm with the intention of bumping it to a 150mm. My concern like mentioned above is that the bike will feel/become less balanced. The 140mm already feels a bit "floppy" when climbing, but have adjusted to that. The bike definitely rides well in that set-up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Short or tall lower cup?

Do you actually use all of your travel now and need more or are you trying to improve ride feel?

What shock are you running?

Plush or Crush?

I have taken my Pistola on some pretty gnarly stuff, only thing that holds me back is consequences, but the bike has never felt at its limits unless Iím getting big airs, but in this case I just needed to reset the suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by Schril View Post
    I have the 140mm with the intention of bumping it to a 150mm. My concern like mentioned above is that the bike will feel/become less balanced. The 140mm already feels a bit "floppy" when climbing, but have adjusted to that. The bike definitely rides well in that set-up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Short or tall lower cup? Short

Do you actually use all of your travel now and need more or are you trying to improve ride feel? When riding Mills Peak, Elwell or other sustained chunk at speed, yes. Am running a bit 25% sag in the fork and the recommended 30% for rear. Innthose instances I would like more suspension, especially in the rear. With that said, I like to climb to descend and ride lots of varying trails which is why the Pistola shines. I have done a few timed sections and am faster on this than my previous Ripley and Ripmo. I may still try boosting the fork to 150mm.

What shock are you running? DPX2 I feel the spring rate of the rear is initially much steeper and a bit harder to match with the fork when climbing and at slower speed descents. I may try an X2. If there is one dislike about this bike is the rear suspension system is archaic compared to other platforms.

Plush or Crush? Plush

I have taken my Pistola on some pretty gnarly stuff, only thing that holds me back is consequences, but the bike has never felt at its limits unless Iím getting big airs, but in this case I just needed to reset the suspension.
    On a side note, what bars are you running? I have the Race Face Next, and they flex. Have never had carbon bars that have noticeable flex. First world problems.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Chromag FU Bars on the Pistola, Burgtec riser bars on the Mega, switching to Burgtec on the Pistola, never noticed flex in either but theyíre aluminum. I have yet to buy carbon anything outside of my frames, cost-benefit hasnít made sense to me .... but as I get older Iím thinking a lighter bike might be nice.

On a side note, what bars are you running? I have the Race Face Next, and they flex. Have never had carbon bars that have noticeable flex. First world problems.

always licking the glass
    I've run Deity and Spank Vibracore. No flex noticeable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    I've run Deity and Spank Vibracore. No flex noticeable.
    I went with what they spec'd. No big deal. Will most likely keep on the bike until I sell it.

always licking the glass
    I went with what they spec'd. No big deal. Will most likely keep on the bike until I sell it.
    Yeah Iím not thrilled with them specíing 35mm bars, especially race face. Iíve never been a fan of their bars, and the 35mm feels really harsh on the Revved frame because itís so stiff.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Flex (in a handlebar) is actually kinda good.

If you've got 35mm clamp stem, the OneUp bar is kind of a no-brainer. It's the first 35mm, 800mm bar that is actually designed for vertical flex.

Some other bars may flex, but its usually a product of their lighter layup and they end up flexing in all directions. I remember the Enve M6 and Whiskey No.9 bars were notable for how flexy they were, some people even claiming they were downright scary.

The question becomes, how can you achieve a comfortable level of flex in a bar without spending $140+.

Spank is trying with the Vibracore stuff, PNW Range bars are made out of 2014 Alloy which helps with vibration damping, but the weights are 100-150g heavier than carbon.

I'm not convinced that every carbon handlebar is better for vibration damping, either. The wall thickness on my SQLab bars are so thick I can't run normal alloy bar plugs. They also won some euro BIKE mag test where they were only bars (alongside Syntace Vector) that didn't fail their break test. That's reassuring for strength, but not so much for comfort.

I'm also not convinced that high-sweep bars (like SQ Lab 30x 12ļ, Syntace 12ļ, or PNW Range 10ļ) are great for every rider. Some of these semi-alt bars are limited to 780mm width, which combined with the high sweep can make for some odd wrist angles and handle placement. I'm going back to a lower sweep, wider bar to determine if the increased sweep and 20mm narrower bar was somehow creating some of my hand numbness.
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Flex (in a handlebar) is actually kinda good.

If you've got 35mm clamp stem, the OneUp bar is kind of a no-brainer. It's the first 35mm, 800mm bar that is actually designed for vertical flex.

Some other bars may flex, but its usually a product of their lighter layup. I remember the Enve M6 and Whiskey No.9 bars were notable for how flexy they were, some people even claiming they were downright scary.

The question becomes, how can you achieve a comfortable level of flex in a bar without spending $140+.

Spank is trying with the Vibracore stuff, PNW Range bars are made out of 2014 Alloy which helps with vibration damping, but the weights are 100-150g heavier than carbon.

I'm not convinced that every carbon handlebar is better for vibration damping, either. The wall thickness on my SQLab bars are so thick I can't run normal alloy bar plugs. They also won some euro BIKE mag test where they were only bars (alongside Syntace Vector) that didn't fail their break test. That's reassuring for strength, but not so much for comfort.

I'm also not convinced that high-sweep bars (like SQ Lab 30x 12ļ, Syntace 12ļ, or PNW Range 10ļ) are great for every rider. Some of these semi-alt bars are limited to 780mm width, which combined with the high sweep can make for some odd wrist angles and handle placement. I'm going back to a lower sweep, wider bar to determine if the increased sweep and 20mm narrower bar was somehow creating some of my hand numbness.
    As someone who broke their wrist in three places that doesn't sit quite at a natural angle, I can tell you that high sweep is the devil. I rode PNW bars for less than a season and ended up selling them. They dampen really well, but crap, they hurt with that weird angle.

Deity Blacklabels with the 9 degree back / 5 degree up feels really good, but I still don't like carbon bars, so I ended up going to Spank vibracore. I can tell you that those are the real deal, and I've been really happy with them. Not sure how great the vibracore rims are, but the bars definitely are.

The 8 degree back and 4 degrees up is significantly flatter than I'm used to having, especially after the PNW bars, but the past few rides have felt sooo much better and I don't have any pain. I'm still getting used to them, but I'm really happy with the 800mm bar cut down to 780mm. Feels like the right spot for me. I was able to do 5 runs at Trestle (I usually can only handle 1-2, MAYBE 3) and I don't feel beat up in my hands/wrists/shoulders anymore. It's pretty dry and rocky here in CO right now, so YMMV, but I'm really happy with the Vibracore.

Keep in mind I'm running 31.8 bars, because I don't feel like replacing all my stems with 35mm to play with the experiment and see if the 35mm Vibracore bars are just as good, but the 35mm is supposedly stiffer, but man, every time I've ridden the 35mm bars, they've come right off the bike because they hurt so much.

Stripes,

That's good to know that I may be on the right track for going back to normal sweep bars.

Gonna try an oldschool bend KORE OCD in 31.8. 5 Degree upsweep, 7 Degree backsweep.

I had ridden 800 and 780mm alloy bars on previous bikes, but didn't notice the wrist/hand discomfort till I rode a set of 785mm width, 8į rearward, 4į upward massively stiff Atlas bars on my Revved bike.

There is something about the Revved bike's geo (steep STA) that has required a completely different approach to comfortable fitment.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I shattered a wrist almost forty years ago... skiing too fast on the first day of the season; stoopid kid. So yeah, wrist pain when the bar angle ainít right is sucky, best bars so far are the Burgtec high rise (Josh version).

Iíve tried all those high sweep bars and they just make my wrists hurt.

In terms of stiffness and feedback, I have not noticed any worsening of wrist pain with 35mm bars, but I wonder if the vibration is worse with 31.8

Grips matter, my favs right now are Red Monkey silicone.

I also ride with Troy Lee bmx wrist braces: https://bmxultra.com/archive/reviews...st_support.htm

The wrist guards are great support when youíre wrist get sore from lots of riding.

always licking the glass
    Stripes,

That's good to know that I may be on the right track for going back to normal sweep bars.

Gonna try an oldschool bend KORE OCD in 31.8. 5 Degree upsweep, 7 Degree backsweep.

I had ridden 800 and 780mm alloy bars on previous bikes, but didn't notice the wrist/hand discomfort till I rode a set of 785mm width, 8į rearward, 4į upward massively stiff Atlas bars on my Revved bike.

There is something about the Revved bike's geo (steep STA) that has required a completely different approach to comfortable fitment.
    Yeah, the steep STA has really changed my riding position. I'm riding a lot lower in the front than I used to (tall rise bars or much higher on the stack, which I needed with the slack STA to get back far enough. Now, I'm riding with the bars and saddle about the same height. My weight is a lot more over the front than it used to be, and the bike handles much better.

I thought that the extra pressure on my wrists would suck, but after I went from the PNW to the Spank Vibracore, they feel soooo much better, even with the lower position.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I rode my Pistola on two long backcountry rides back to back using the super short 152mm Trailcraft cranks. The first ride was with 29 x 2.5/2.6 wheels, the second ride was with 27.5 x 2.6. Iíve also done a bunch of shorter rides, XC and shuttled downhill.

The Pistola as a 29er with short cranks was great for pedal clearance, the trail was the TRT south from Heavenly to Starr Lake, lots of granite steps and chunk, plenty of climbing, and lots of chundery downhill.

The Pistola as a 27.5 with short cranks was better for the steep and technical downhill trail (Chief) because it was more agile, lower slung for carving, and I had fewer issues with pedal strike because the access was XC and the downhill was nonpedaling.

My set up is a Trust Message, tuned for low pressure with added pucks, reduced shim stack, and lighter damper oil, with a tall lower cup in the long setting. DPX2, stock volume spacers (none?), low pressure, HSC in middle setting, medium LSC, medium rebound. Midrise bars, 35mm stem.

I was running the short setting since I built the Pistola, which felt more agile, but also fit kinda short, so swapped the cup to the long setting mid ride on the downhill trail. The swap made it a little more work to manual, but after adjusting to a more forward body position and moving the seat forward ~5mm I started feeling natural.

In the long setting there was a touch more high speed stability, though the longer position did lead to a little more front end wash out and the back end took more effort to maneuver.

I could see using a higher rise bar, 50mm stem, and the short cup setting to get an equal sized cockpit without lengthening the chassis.

I did take a short ride the other day with 27.5 x 2.8, which rode great but was much slower handling and gave the bike a burlier feel. These wheels are going on my hardtail, so 2.6 will be my base tire size on the Pistola in both wheel sizes.

Great bike, super versatile, is gradually becoming my primary bike ... Megatrail is garbing dust 🙄

mtbr member
    I rode my Pistola on two long backcountry rides back to back using the super short 152mm Trailcraft cranks. The first ride was with 29 x 2.5/2.6 wheels, the second ride was with 27.5 x 2.6. Iíve also done a bunch of shorter rides, XC and shuttled downhill. 
    I love my Pistola as a one bike quiver killer. XC, enduro, backcountry. I'm curious what your gearing is with those shorty cranks.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayndar View Post
    I love my Pistola as a one bike quiver killer. XC, enduro, backcountry. I'm curious what your gearing is with those shorty cranks.
    26t round, 10-51 XT 12 sp

I didn't change my gearing, works great

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Anyone know the tune code and exact Fox DPS (SV/LV/wtf?) they use on the Trail Pistol

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott2MTB View Post
    Anyone know the tune code and exact Fox DPS (SV/LV/wtf?) they use on the Trail Pistol
    I was getting ready to answer but I have a DPX2.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    I was getting ready to answer but I have a DPX2.
    Sheesh, what kind of BAMF are you if you don't know all the geeky details for every bike by heart? (j/k of course)

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott2MTB View Post
    Sheesh, what kind of BAMF are you if you don't know all the geeky details for every bike by heart? (j/k of course)
    I know right? Iím slacking these days

I know the Rockshox Deluxe/Super Deluxe is getting L/L Tune, so the DPS might be similar: CL/RL

You could easily run a CM/RM tune if you're above average weight - say above 190lbs.

Air volume is tricky, but a SV Evol or LV Evol would be most likely, XV is kinda rare. LV would be best though.

There are more custom tunes coming from Fox as well - like DCM/DRL and LCM/LRL which are digressive and linear compression/rebound tunes.

In my case, I just found the cheapest shock I could and slapped it on there. It's a M/L Deluxe RT. If I were paying good money, I'd want a shock with either really good stock tuning options (Mara Inline) or very exact match of what GG is installing - although admittedly you could probably get a better tune specific for your weight than what GG offers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I know the Rockshox Deluxe/Super Deluxe is getting L/L Tune, so the DPS might be similar: CL/RL

You could easily run a CM/RM tune if you're above average weight - say above 190lbs.

Air volume is tricky, but a SV Evol or LV Evol would be most likely, XV is kinda rare. LV would be best though.

There are more custom tunes coming from Fox as well - like DCM/DRL and LCM/LRL which are digressive and linear compression/rebound tunes.

In my case, I just found the cheapest shock I could and slapped it on there. It's a M/L Deluxe RT. If I were paying good money, I'd want a shock with either really good stock tuning options (Mara Inline) or very exact match of what GG is installing - although admittedly you could probably get a better tune specific for your weight than what GG offers.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Seeking opinions on the potential purchase of a Pistola:

Currently on a 2016 Mojo3, which is the best bike I have ever owned. That said, I feel like it's starting to limit me on descents and some technical sections. I'm 6'4" and weigh in at 210 lbs.

Primary concerns on making the switch are 2 inches more reach going from a XL Mojo3 to a Size 4 Pistola (I have short arms), and how much of the playfulness and poppiness of the Mojo will I lose.

I've had a couple 29ers in the past, but I know they have come a long way since then.

Anyone out there that can comment on the comparison of these two bikes and help talk me into or out of a Pistola?

Thanks a ton!
    2016 Ibis Mojo 3 (for the chunk)
    2017 Trek Domane (for the road)
    2017 Nimble 9 SS (for the suffering)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    2016 HD3 vs a Revved Pistola

150mm vs 130mm travel
    Longer reach
    Longer wheelbase
    Steeper STA
    Potential steeper HTA depending on set up
    Bigger wheel will roll faster, but be less agile

At speed the Pistola will be more stable, but you donít have as much suspension travel for bigger hits, so youíll feel more of the trail.

Unless youíre leaning toward a short travel bike, you might want to look at the Smash or the Megatrail.

If you want playful and stable, the Shred Dogg would be an alternative, you could ride mullet and use a short lower cup in front and a 29er fork.

You should demo a Pistola or a Smash

mtbr member
    2016 HD3 vs a Revved Pistola

150mm vs 130mm travel
    Longer reach
    Longer wheelbase
    Steeper STA
    Potential steeper HTA depending on set up
    Bigger wheel will roll faster, but be less agile

At speed the Pistola will be more stable, but you donít have as much suspension travel for bigger hits, so youíll feel more of the trail.

Unless youíre leaning toward a short travel bike, you might want to look at the Smash or the Megatrail.

If you want playful and stable, the Shred Dogg would be an alternative, you could ride mullet and use a short lower cup in front and a 29er fork.

You should demo a Pistola or a Smash
    Thank you Ben for the input. Unfortunately that's not quite the correct comparison. Current ride is a Mojo 3, not HD3. So current travel is 130 rear and 140 front. Looking at a Pistola with a 150 fork. I'm pretty set on going back to 29" wheels.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    I used to work with Ibis, and now I work with GG - so I have a ton of time on both bikes. I've ridden the Mojo 3 on just about everything from Crested Butte to Moab to Brevard, NC, and the Trail Pistol is my current bike which I ride everywhere as well.

You will lose some of the playfulness of the Mojo 3 by making the switch, but that's literally all you lose. The Trail Pistola is a better climber, better descender, more stable at speed, and can handle rough terrain better than the Mojo 3. I have mine set up with a 150mm Lyrik up front, and it's very well-balanced. I've put in 5k+ climbing days, and I've ridden it on the rowdiest, most technical trails out there. I rode a Ripley V4 most days last year, and the Trail Pistola is a burlier version of that bike (feels just as playful, albeit a bit heavier).

mtbr member
    I used to work with Ibis, and now I work with GG - so I have a ton of time on both bikes. I've ridden the Mojo 3 on just about everything from Crested Butte to Moab to Brevard, NC, and the Trail Pistol is my current bike which I ride everywhere as well.

You will lose some of the playfulness of the Mojo 3 by making the switch, but that's literally all you lose. The Trail Pistola is a better climber, better descender, more stable at speed, and can handle rough terrain better than the Mojo 3. I have mine set up with a 150mm Lyrik up front, and it's very well-balanced. I've put in 5k+ climbing days, and I've ridden it on the rowdiest, most technical trails out there. I rode a Ripley V4 most days last year, and the Trail Pistola is a burlier version of that bike (feels just as playful, albeit a bit heavier).
    Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you smmokan!

mtbr member
    So sounds like the Pistola is the way to go these days. Was initially considering a Ripmo AF, but those are backordered through basically 2021.

Have a few general questions related to the bike/build options if anyone can help me out a bit.

1. Does anyone feel like they wish they had more suspension in the back (>130mm)? I'm coming from a hardtail and have only demo'd/rode a Ripmo AF and Jeffsy Pro 29. Both those bikes felt like they had plenty of suspension and anything more would probably make 80% of my trails feel way less fun. On paper, the Pistola has slightly less than both of these bikes but the steep HTA might make it feel a little more plowy even without the extra rear suspension? This is definitely something I liked about the Ripmo AF.

2. Anyone have experience with the Smash? Seems like these bikes (Pistola vs. Smash) are super close on paper, but wanted to see how they actually felt in comparison. Coming from a hardtail, I'm not looking for a full on XC rig but also don't want to lug around a full on enduro setup on longer rides. Seems like the Pistola would sort of bridge that gap maybe?

3. In terms of the build, what would you guys say is the most beneficial upgrades for the money? Here's what I'm considering:

Fork(stock - Lyrik Select 150mm): keep stock
    Shock (stock - RS Deluxe Select+): upgrade to Cane Creek DBCoil +$255
    Brakes (stock - SRAM Code R): upgrade to XT 8120 +$165
    Drivetrain (stock - NX Eagle): keep stock
    Tires: (stock - DHF/DHRII): keep stock

I really want to try out a coil, but maybe it makes more sense to spend money on the fork instead? Or is the Lyrik Select good enough? Big fan of Shimano brakes, so that seems like a no brainer upgrade. I'm cool w/ the added weight of the NX drivetrain so don't feel the need to spend up for GX. I guess it's a pick 2 out of 4: fork, shock, brakes, or drivetrain?

Appreciate all the help!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Gotcha, so that bike is really similar to the Shred, I rode one on demo and was pondering it back when I had a Hendrix, so yeah, the Pistola would be a comparable alternative in a 29er.

I really like the Pistola, for a short travel 29er it is quite poppy, esp with an air shock.

The nice thing about GG bikes is if you regret switching to 29" you can change stays and go back to 27.5, also, the Pistola is quite rideable in 27.5, so lots of options.

The Pistola is tire limited somewhat, there's barely room for a DHF 2.5WT, mine buzzes the seat post just slightly so I have a strip of frame tape that's keeping things clean.

If you can wait a couple days, I've got some offset bushings on the way, gonna install those on my Shred and see how the geo changes and what it looks like with 29" wheels in comparison to the Pistola.

The Shred with 29" wheels sits high, but with the offset bushings it might be a lower and slacker version of the Pistola with even shorter stays, all without going to a tall fork.

Ö and what smmokan wrote is spot on, though I have less time on Ibis bikes than him, those comparisons are solid.

BTW, where do you live and ride?

Quote Originally Posted by ABQ Clydesdale View Post
    Thank you Ben for the input. Unfortunately that's not quite the correct comparison. Current ride is a Mojo 3, not HD3. So current travel is 130 rear and 140 front. Looking at a Pistola with a 150 fork. I'm pretty set on going back to 29" wheels.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I have a Smash, ridden for just over a month now Ī200 miles. I haven't felt "overgunned" or that it is too much bike but that's a bit subjective based on the terrain/type of riding you do. I've been toying with getting some TP stays and trying out the slightly shorter travel but that's what is so great about the GG bikes. You can change them up relatively cheap/easy.

I'm on a Fox 36 and haven't ridden a Lyrik but a lot of folks love them.
    Had the CC DB Inline Coil on my last bike and loved that shock - definitely a worthwhile upgrade IMHO (I went with the Hazard on my Smash and its been great so far).
    Def upgrade to the XT 4-pot brakes.
    I think the Shimano 12-spd drivetrain is where its at, but there's nothing inherently wrong with the NX groupset.
    Love the DHF/DHR combo (mine are 2.6f/2.4r) but again its a bit subjective to where you're riding and what type of terrain. Tires are an easy swap so this would be a good starting point for most folks.

The Smash does not feel heavy and climbs great. It really shines on the downs and I think this is pretty even across GG's lineup. It'll plow if you point it and let loose, but will also stay relatively playful and poppy on the small stuff. It is long but still really nimble for what it is. The TP/Pistola might be a bit better-suited for climbing and a little more playful, but seems like it will also ride a bit rougher in the really chundery, rocky descents.

I was really torn between the Pistola and the Smash, but am so glad I went with the Smash right now. I'm mostly just toying with trying out the Pistola out of curiosity. FWIW my previous bike was a rowdy 180/160 NS Soda FR and I don't miss the travel at all. I'm maybe a bit overbiked with the Smash most days but I don't feel like I'm paying any penalties riding it on the mellower trails I get to most frequently. It is just plain fun.

In the end, decisions on which bike are best made based on the type of terrain you ride the most. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either option. You can always swap things out and try different configurations too.

Nurse Ben has had some really good feedback on the Pistola on here so I'd recommend a good read through of his comments.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Briballdo View Post
    So sounds like the Pistola is the way to go these days. Was initially considering a Ripmo AF, but those are backordered through basically 2021.

Have a few general questions related to the bike/build options if anyone can help me out a bit.

1. Does anyone feel like they wish they had more suspension in the back (>130mm)? I'm coming from a hardtail and have only demo'd/rode a Ripmo AF and Jeffsy Pro 29. Both those bikes felt like they had plenty of suspension and anything more would probably make 80% of my trails feel way less fun. On paper, the Pistola has slightly less than both of these bikes but the steep HTA might make it feel a little more plowy even without the extra rear suspension? This is definitely something I liked about the Ripmo AF.

2. Anyone have experience with the Smash? Seems like these bikes (Pistola vs. Smash) are super close on paper, but wanted to see how they actually felt in comparison. Coming from a hardtail, I'm not looking for a full on XC rig but also don't want to lug around a full on enduro setup on longer rides. Seems like the Pistola would sort of bridge that gap maybe?

3. In terms of the build, what would you guys say is the most beneficial upgrades for the money? Here's what I'm considering:

Fork(stock - Lyrik Select 150mm): keep stock
    Shock (stock - RS Deluxe Select+): upgrade to Cane Creek DBCoil +$255
    Brakes (stock - SRAM Code R): upgrade to XT 8120 +$165
    Drivetrain (stock - NX Eagle): keep stock
    Tires: (stock - DHF/DHRII): keep stock

I really want to try out a coil, but maybe it makes more sense to spend money on the fork instead? Or is the Lyrik Select good enough? Big fan of Shimano brakes, so that seems like a no brainer upgrade. I'm cool w/ the added weight of the NX drivetrain so don't feel the need to spend up for GX. I guess it's a pick 2 out of 4: fork, shock, brakes, or drivetrain?

Appreciate all the help!
    Let's see...

1- No. I currently have my Pistola (mentioned above), and I had a Smash for the first 5+ months of 2020 which I just sold last month. I prefer the Pistola on 99% of the rides. Sure, there are a few times when I wish I had the 170/145mm Smash, but the Pistola holds its own on everything. It just takes a little more work to go as fast, but it can go as fast. With a plush 150mm Lyrik up front, it feels perfect to me.

2- See above. I like putting in long rides, which the Pistola is better for. I also like a more playful bike, which you get in the Pistola vs the Smash. Of course, YMMV and this is only my opinion. I've ridden my Pistola on some pretty hardcore trails and haven't felt out-gunned: Whole Enchilada, everything in St. George/Hurricane, Greens Creek in Salida, Grouse in Steamboat, White Ranch in Golden, and many more.

3- Without getting into too many details, I generally agree with what you've got above. The 150 Lyrik Select is a great "lower level" fork and doesn't need to be upgraded. The coil is a good upgrade if you want to go that route, but the RS Deluxe is a great shock in its own right and is a decent bit lighter. I'd definitely upgrade the NX drivetrain, it's a boat anchor and isn't even in the same league as SLX or XT. Oh, and I don't personally like the DHRII, I'd put the 2.4 WT Dissector on the back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amc_ View Post
    I have a Smash, ridden for just over a month now Ī200 miles. I haven't felt "overgunned" or that it is too much bike but that's a bit subjective based on the terrain/type of riding you do. I've been toying with getting some TP stays and trying out the slightly shorter travel but that's what is so great about the GG bikes. You can change them up relatively cheap/easy.

I'm on a Fox 36 and haven't ridden a Lyrik but a lot of folks love them.
    Had the CC DB Inline Coil on my last bike and loved that shock - definitely a worthwhile upgrade IMHO (I went with the Hazard on my Smash and its been great so far).
    Def upgrade to the XT 4-pot brakes.
    I think the Shimano 12-spd drivetrain is where its at, but there's nothing inherently wrong with the NX groupset.
    Love the DHF/DHR combo (mine are 2.6f/2.4r) but again its a bit subjective to where you're riding and what type of terrain. Tires are an easy swap so this would be a good starting point for most folks.

The Smash does not feel heavy and climbs great. It really shines on the downs and I think this is pretty even across GG's lineup. It'll plow if you point it and let loose, but will also stay relatively playful and poppy on the small stuff. It is long but still really nimble for what it is. The TP/Pistola might be a bit better-suited for climbing and a little more playful, but seems like it will also ride a bit rougher in the really chundery, rocky descents.

I was really torn between the Pistola and the Smash, but am so glad I went with the Smash right now. I'm mostly just toying with trying out the Pistola out of curiosity. FWIW my previous bike was a rowdy 180/160 NS Soda FR and I don't miss the travel at all. I'm maybe a bit overbiked with the Smash most days but I don't feel like I'm paying any penalties riding it on the mellower trails I get to most frequently. It is just plain fun.

In the end, decisions on which bike are best made based on the type of terrain you ride the most. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either option. You can always swap things out and try different configurations too.

Nurse Ben has had some really good feedback on the Pistola on here so I'd recommend a good read through of his comments.
    Thanks so much for the input! I definitely agree that it depends on the specific terrain you ride on. While the Pistola is most likely plenty bike for 95% of what I ride, it's just so hard to not think about that 5%... In the end, I think I'm someone who would be more upset about lugging around too much bike vs. wishing I had more bike for that 5%.

I will do some more reading on the Smash though. Sounds like it doesn't feel like a sluggish enduro sled on the climbs as much as I might think it will.

mtbr member
    Let's see...

1- No. I currently have my Pistola (mentioned above), and I had a Smash for the first 5+ months of 2020 which I just sold last month. I prefer the Pistola on 99% of the rides. Sure, there are a few times when I wish I had the 170/145mm Smash, but the Pistola holds its own on everything. It just takes a little more work to go as fast, but it can go as fast. With a plush 150mm Lyrik up front, it feels perfect to me.

2- See above. I like putting in long rides, which the Pistola is better for. I also like a more playful bike, which you get in the Pistola vs the Smash. Of course, YMMV and this is only my opinion. I've ridden my Pistola on some pretty hardcore trails and haven't felt out-gunned: Whole Enchilada, everything in St. George/Hurricane, Greens Creek in Salida, Grouse in Steamboat, White Ranch in Golden, and many more.

3- Without getting into too many details, I generally agree with what you've got above. The 150 Lyrik Select is a great "lower level" fork and doesn't need to be upgraded. The coil is a good upgrade if you want to go that route, but the RS Deluxe is a great shock in its own right and is a decent bit lighter. I'd definitely upgrade the NX drivetrain, it's a boat anchor and isn't even in the same league as SLX or XT. Oh, and I don't personally like the DHRII, I'd put the 2.4 WT Dissector on the back.
    Thanks a bunch, very helpful. Sorry you've probably already answered most of these questions. I think your earlier posts are what got me so intrigued by this bike.

I do wish they offered SLX or XT drivetrain on this bike, not sure why they don't. I just have a hard time justifying +$250 going from NX to GX when the technology/features seem to be the same?

As for the tires, why'd you go w/ the Dissectors? I demo'd a Ripmo AF w/ Assegais and they definitely felt a little overboard for my riding. I think I'd prefer a less chunky/lighter setup on a bike like the Pistola. Are the Dissectors like this?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm pretty sure you can ask for Shimano drivetrains, as long as it's available, GG will try to equip your bike the way you want it.

I run XT 12sp on two bikes, previously ran GX 12 sp, and I far prefer Shimano of SRAM for shifting and ease of adjustment/maintenance.

I've been running DHF front and rear on a suggestion from Mike Curiak at Lacemine29, couldn't be happier, good wear, good traction, and plenty fast.

Some other "tweaks" to consider: Get a tall and short lower cup, $75 well spent, great option for changing geo, raising BB, raking out the front end. A tall cup option lets you run a shorter fork and not lose BB height.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure you can ask for Shimano drivetrains, as long as it's available, GG will try to equip your bike the way you want it.

I run XT 12sp on two bikes, previously ran GX 12 sp, and I far prefer Shimano of SRAM for shifting and ease of adjustment/maintenance.

I've been running DHF front and rear on a suggestion from Mike Curiak at Lacemine29, couldn't be happier, good wear, good traction, and plenty fast.

Some other "tweaks" to consider: Get a tall and short lower cup, $75 well spent, great option for changing geo, raising BB, raking out the front end. A tall cup option lets you run a shorter fork and not lose BB height.
    My guess is the availability of Shimano is an issue for them as they aren't offering it as an option on any bikes (that I've checked). But maybe I'll shoot them an email.

Can you elaborate on the tall/short lower cup? Is this related to the headset? I've seen this mentioned a few times but have no idea what you're talking about

Thanks!

mtbr member
    BTW, where do you live and ride?
    I live and ride in Albuquerque. Mostly the foothills that I can access out of my garage. They are not super technical trails but have some challenging and scary features, if you know where to look. There are a number of good technical climbs.

Occasional day trips to other rides in the area, east mountains which tend to be more technical and chunkier, Placitas, Santa Fe, White/Red Mesa.

Annual road trips all over including Phoenix, Moab, St. George, etc.

Thanks again for the input! I think I'm about sold on a Pistola.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So the lower headset cup is available in short (zero mm) and tall (+15mm). The 29" bikes are spec'd with a low cup and the 27.5 bikes are spec'd with a tall cup. So you can tweak your set up by using a tall or shoter cup.

For example: I am running a Shout on a Megatrail, the Shout has a relatively tall A-C, so I run a short cup. On my Pistola I run a Message, the Message has a relatively short A-C, so I run a tall cup.

The Geoadjust headset can also be placed in the short or long position, which changes reach by +/- 10mm.

My guess is the availability of Shimano is an issue for them as they aren't offering it as an option on any bikes (that I've checked). But maybe I'll shoot them an email.

Can you elaborate on the tall/short lower cup? Is this related to the headset? I've seen this mentioned a few times but have no idea what you're talking about

Thanks!

mtbr member
    As for the tires, why'd you go w/ the Dissectors? I demo'd a Ripmo AF w/ Assegais and they definitely felt a little overboard for my riding. I think I'd prefer a less chunky/lighter setup on a bike like the Pistola. Are the Dissectors like this?
    I prefer the Aggressor or the Dissector for the reasons you laid out... less chunky and better rolling resistance. They both provide plenty of grip too. It's kind of the "happy medium" of Maxxis rear tires, IMO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks a bunch, very helpful. Sorry you've probably already answered most of these questions. I think your earlier posts are what got me so intrigued by this bike.

I do wish they offered SLX or XT drivetrain on this bike, not sure why they don't. I just have a hard time justifying +$250 going from NX to GX when the technology/features seem to be the same?

Just ask. I built/ordered mine with the new XT 1x12 with no problems.

mtbr member
    Just put an order in for a Pistola! Thanks everyone for the help.

Got the standard Lyrik Select 150mm, CC DBcoil IL in the back, XT brakes, kept the NX drivetrain, and kept the standard DHR/DHF tire setup.

I was going to go w/ the XT drivetrain but they said they only offer it in the higher build specs. May eventually upgrade, but I'm sure the NX will be fine for the time being.

mtbr member
    Here's what you should do.... take the NX drivetrain and sell it on eBay or Pinkbike for about $250. Then buy a new Shimano XT 1x11 drivetrain and use that, since the freehub on the wheels should be the same... you'll be out about $50, but you'll save weight and the XT stuff will far outperform that NX garbage. That will give you a killer bike- nice choices on everything else!

mtbr member
    Here's what you should do.... take the NX drivetrain and sell it on eBay or Pinkbike for about $250. Then buy a new Shimano XT 1x11 drivetrain and use that, since the freehub on the wheels should be the same... you'll be out about $50, but you'll save weight and the XT stuff will far outperform that NX garbage. That will give you a killer bike- nice choices on everything else!
    Whoa no way, that's a great idea. I thought NX uses a weird hub or something? Or is that GX? Idk, I always thought if I wanted to upgrade I'd have to get a whole new hub setup.

Thanks for the tip though.

mtbr member
    Nope, NX uses the same hub as Shimano 11-speed. I believe it was done so it would be an easy upgrade path for anyone that wanted to add a gear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Another option would be the XT 1x12 with a Sunrace 11-50 cassette. I ran that on one of my bikes for a year because I didn't want to buy new hubs and it worked well.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Also just placed my order for the Pistola. Size 4 Race build, blue accents. XTR drivetrain and XT 4-pot brakes. Hoping to get the I9's blinged out with blue spokes and hubs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You can get a Shimano micro driver for most hubs for not much $$, look on eBay. I paid $25 each for three of them.

XT 12sp is the best Iíve used, easy to maintain and function is like 10/11sp SRAM, but more range. Smash it against rocks, kept shifting even I shattered the housing end, bent hanger and kept shifting, under load and keeps shifting, but it out of Asia direct and itís cheap.

You couldnít give me a SRAM 12sp, not worth the trouble, itís hard to maintain, you have to relube during long rides or shifting suffers, backpedaling is nar impossible on largest cog, and itís just so damn fiddly as it wears.

App-a-LATCH-un
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeR91 View Post
    Another option would be the XT 1x12 with a Sunrace 11-50 cassette. I ran that on one of my bikes for a year because I didn't want to buy new hubs and it worked well.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
    Just an FYI. I tried the CS-MZ90 11-50 cassette with XT 12 speed set-up and couldn't get it to shift well across the cassette. It would skip in some gears and if I got it to shift well in the top of the cassette, it would skip in the bottom and vice versa. I did some research and found the Sunrace CS-MZ903 11-51 12 Speed Cassette. Apparently 12 speed SRAM and Shimano derailleurs and cassettes don't play well together. Some people have had success supposedly, but it was poor shifting IMO. I think the 11-50 was intended for SRAM derailleurs (and of course shifter).
    Seems to shift just fine now with the 11-51.
    Fifty-two, I mean fifty-four bicycles on the wall
    Ready to ride, ready to ride until the last of them falls

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Sharing my recent TP build, first GG, so I'm stoked to see how this goes. Started as a Frame only, took about 3 1/2 weeks to get. Built with components from my previous bike, which unfortunately came out heavy, as in 31.5lbs heavy. I'm a bit disappointed in the weight, but I think it makes sense.

2019 Fox 36 Performance Fit4 140mm
    2019 Fox DPX2
    Nukeproof Carbon Horizon Bar / Answer ATAC 40mm stem
    Carbon Light Bicycle rims with DT 350 Hubs
    All 2020 XT build 10-51T except SRAM Stylo Carbon crank / X-Sync 2 32T chainring
    Brand-x 170mm Dropper
    Maxxis Recon 2.6F 2.4R
    3M frame protection

The hardtail it came from was 28.5lbs, with a 5.1lb frame. That adds about 2 lbs right there with shock, and the 1/2lb from the Fox36. I was hope for less, but oh well, its a fun bike and I'm enjoying it.

Only one beef, the rivnut in the bottom of the frame for the cable cover spun when installing the cover the first time. I cross threaded the screw trying to install the hatch, which I will be honest, is a PITA to install when you have never done it before. More traditional external would be better IMO or internal.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-20200917_095156.jpg  

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-20200921_172857.jpg  

Last edited by mattyhawk; 09-23-2020 at 03:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Last edited by mattyhawk; 09-23-2020 at 06:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Yeah, seems a bit heavy given the wheels and tire choice. Do yourself a favor and sacrifice a bit more weight and get rid of those Rekons; they're garbage unless you ride perfectly tacky and non-rocky dirt every time out.

You'll absolutely love the bike, FWIW. I have a full set of demo bikes for our Chasing Epic trips, and every single client we've had this year is blown away by the Pistola.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Yeah, seems a bit heavy given the wheels and tire choice. Do yourself a favor and sacrifice a bit more weight and get rid of those Rekons; they're garbage unless you ride perfectly tacky and non-rocky dirt every time out.

You'll absolutely love the bike, FWIW. I have a full set of demo bikes for our Chasing Epic trips, and every single client we've had this year is blown away by the Pistola.
    Not sure where GG put the lead bars in my frame, I'll keep looking. I was expecting 30-31 lbs, but I'm not gonna sweat it.

I've been riding the Recons for a year and have few issues with them. They are not as fast in the downs but are great in the ups. I'm in socal, steep climbs with loose over hard. They perform as I need them as I do 30+ mile rides with 3K+ climbing most weekends. Trick with them is to lean the bike over hard in the turns to bite into the side knobs. They have a nasty dead spot if you turn and you aren't on the knobs. I run DHF / Aggressor combo for gravity days.

I went back and forth about the Pistol or Pistola for weeks before I bought my rear shock. I ended up with the Pistol as I also picked up the seat stay kit, shock and air shaft for the Smash setup.

The Pistol/Pistola, despite it's lower travel numbers is not a particularly light bike.

The problem is the frame is overbuilt for it's longer travel applications. I don't know why people don't get this. I think there is a lot of oldschool thinking out there that says "120mm travel bike in carbon so must be lightweight" but no other 120mm frame can also be built into a 160/180mm 29er like the Gnarvana.

120mm Pistol SL Frame weight (no shock) 6.5lbs.
    130mm Pistola 6.5lbs
    145mm Smash 6.5lbs
    160mm Gnarvana 6.6lbs (due to slightly longer chainstays).

The Gnarvana is relatively lightweight for it's travel and intented use, the TPSL is a pig.

mtbr member

Good to hear! I've got a Pistola on order and getting a little antsy and second guessing myself.

Do you have any built up w/ coils? Everyone seems to be buying the Smash so I went w/ a coil in hopes it'll give it a little more plow feeling like the Smash.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    The Pistol/Pistola, despite it's lower travel numbers is not a particularly light bike.

The problem is the frame is overbuilt for it's longer travel applications. I don't know why people don't get this. I think there is a lot of oldschool thinking out there that says "120mm travel bike in carbon so must be lightweight" but no other 120mm frame can also be built into a 160/180mm 29er like the Gnarvana.

120mm Pistol SL Frame weight (no shock) 6.5lbs.
    130mm Pistola 6.5lbs
    145mm Smash 6.5lbs
    160mm Gnarvana 6.6lbs (due to slightly longer chainstays).

The Gnarvana is relatively lightweight for it's travel and intented use, the TPSL is a pig.
    Your analysis on the weight is spot on, no dispute here. I bought the bike because its really one of the only MTB frames made in the US and it was convertible. The ability to convert and my desire for a stiff fork is why I run Fox 36's on a 120mm trail bike. Since I'm a heavier rider, I also went with the DPX2. Weight was maybe 5th on my list of things to consider, so it was somewhat important. All a trade off.

Calculating out the difference between mine and the Race build which is advertised at 28.4 lbs without pedals, it makes sense. My build is at 30.6lbs without pedals. I figure the difference in components that make a difference is ~800g / 28oz. Subtract that out, I would be at 28.8lbs, which is in line with advertised numbers.

And hey, its still lighter than the IBIS Ripmo AF I was also looking at when I convert it to a smash.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Good to hear! I've got a Pistola on order and getting a little antsy and second guessing myself.

Do you have any built up w/ coils? Everyone seems to be buying the Smash so I went w/ a coil in hopes it'll give it a little more plow feeling like the Smash.
    Donít second guess your decision. My original configuration was the Smash with MRP coil front and rear and I could of lived with that forever. I have since converted to Pistola, also with MRP coil front and rear. The shorter travel and rear end does what everyone said it would do, itís more fun on everything but the most hardcore trails I ride, and on those itís still manageable. While the Smash is no slouch climbing, the Pistola is better. The ability to swap configurations with ease was one of the biggest draws for me. I now have two great bikes for not much more than one and many more options if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Don't second guess yourself, the Pistola is SUCH a great bike.

I have a CC Inline Coil on my personal Pistola (I swap between it and the RS Deluxe that came stock)- it's great. It makes the bike that much more capable on the descents and doesn't really sacrifice anything on the climbs other than a little weight. Pair it with a 140-150mm fork and you'll be able to ride anything.

I used to care a lot about the weight of bikes when everything was made over seas.

Since getting on GG bikes, I've cared less about it. 1) they aren't much heavier than overseas produced bikes (Scott and Ibis being exceptions) and 2) they are the only carbon full suspension bike produced in the USA.

I'd rather take one point of distinction that matters than worry too much about the one that doesn't.

Plus at 240lbs being worried about 3lbs is absolutely ridiculous.

Tire selection is far more crucial when you're planning on doing big long rides. You'll "feel" slower rolling tires a lot more than 1-2lbs of bike weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyhawk View Post
    Started as a Frame only, took about 3 1/2 weeks to get.
    Only 3.5 weeks?? That gives me hope. I ordered a Megatrail frame (frame only, already have a shock) from my local shop 2 weeks ago. I was told it would take 6-8 weeks.

Anyway, that is a very nice looking build! As for the weight, would you say that it has been holding you back? Is the weight noticeable when you ride?

I'm used to bikes weighing 35+ pounds so anything less than that sounds pretty nice really.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity_flow View Post
    Only 3.5 weeks?? That gives me hope. I ordered a Megatrail frame (frame only, already have a shock) from my local shop 2 weeks ago. I was told it would take 6-8 weeks.

Anyway, that is a very nice looking build! As for the weight, would you say that it has been holding you back? Is the weight noticeable when you ride?

I'm used to bikes weighing 35+ pounds so anything less than that sounds pretty nice really.
    Hauling an extra 3 lbs around is not a bit deal. According to strava, I was actually faster both uphill and downhill than my hardtail. I'm taking that it really doesn't make a difference except that the hardtail was more maneuverable but the TP plows better.

mtbr member
    I used to care a lot about the weight of bikes when everything was made over seas.

Since getting on GG bikes, I've cared less about it. 1) they aren't much heavier than overseas produced bikes (Scott and Ibis being exceptions) and 2) they are the only carbon full suspension bike produced in the USA.
    And one more thing- I'll take the TP over the Ripley 10 times out of 10 on fun/rowdy/steep descents. The extra couple of pounds is there for the fun factor and to make sure you're smiling the whole way down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    And one more thing- I'll take the TP over the Ripley 10 times out of 10 on fun/rowdy/steep descents. The extra couple of pounds is there for the fun factor and to make sure you're smiling the whole way down.
    This weekend I get to put that to the test.

I have been back and forth between the ripley and ripmo for a year, but the ripley was just out of reach because of cost. I really wanted a ripley and then decided on the ripmo af since it was easy on the wallet and I really don't trust carbon frames long term durability. Then I found GG and it clicked more boxes than the Ripmo.

My buddy just got a ripley last month and now I have the TP. Im gonna ask to swap rides this Saturday on our planned 4.2k climb / 23mi ride and see which is truly better back to back. His is 29lbs with a fox 34 and SLX on an XL size complete build, which is heavy for a ripley. Then I will know for sure. I suspect the Riply is better in the climb and the TP is better in the descent, but how much?

mtbr member
    I suspect the Riply is better in the climb and the TP is better in the descent, but how much?
    Each is better by about the same amount in either direction. They're both awesome bikes, don't get me wrong.

The Ripley is better for bigger climbs on longer rides, and is similar to the TP on smoother/faster descents. The TP is better for chunkier, rowdier terrain and is similar to the Ripley on techy climbs. It's kind of what you expect given the builds, frames, and geo. I always tell people that the TP is right between the Ripley and Ripmo V2.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Looking for some tire suggestions. Currently running a 20.4 DHRII out back and a 2.5 DHF up front. Looking to make it a bit more zippy without sacrificing too much grip...

2.6 rekon front and rear?!

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    Looking for some tire suggestions. Currently running a 20.4 DHRII out back and a 2.5 DHF up front. Looking to make it a bit more zippy without sacrificing too much grip...

2.6 rekon front and rear?!
    Hmm...I know that some people are running the new Maxxis Dissector front and rear. You can get it in a 2.4 or a 2.6. I think they're pretty good for dry, fast, hardpack conditions. I don't have time on those, however.

I used to run Schwalbe Hans Dampf front and rear. It was a decently fast-rolling combo, but you do sacrifice a bit of grip/confidence when you run a Hans Dampf in the front. Hans Dampf works great for mostly every type of terrain other than mud and super loose sand.

This one isn't as popular, but I've been using e*thirteen TRS tires front and rear (trail casing, race in the front and plus in the rear) for almost two years now. It's a lightweight tire, but the tread is on the more aggressive side. They roll a little faster than Minions. I think they're great for all-around riding where I live (Front Range Colorado, so mostly dry, dusty, rocky). I recommend these to just about everyone I talk to, but hardly anyone buys them lol. Great tire, tho.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    You should state your terrain, soil type and weather conditions if you want a good set of recommendations!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Im a maxxis fanboy, all i know.. If you are on loose over hard pack like me, I suggest 2.4 recon rear and keep the DHF. If thats not enough traction, 2.3 aggressor rear. Except for weight, the DHF is fast rolling for what it is, downhill inspired.

If you want to do longer days in the saddle, 2.6 recon front and 2.4 recon rear is really a good setup, but be ready for slower downhills. You will feel the difference in the ups due to the reduced rolling resistance and lower weight (>300g from dhr to recon 2.4)

If you don't have sharp rocks, go with a forkaster up front instead. Not the best sidewalls IMO. Better traction than the recon.

If you want faster, 2.4 recon front and 2.35 ikon rear. You now in xc territory. Ok traction and you will spend a bit of time using the rear brake to turn.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    You should state your terrain, soil type and weather conditions if you want a good set of recommendations!
    Good point!

Loose over hard for the most part. East coast riding. Lots of pedaling, so Iím looking for trail tires that are lighter and more sporty.

I have an ikon rear, forekaster front on my hardtail and dig it... but definitely want a level of grip/durability above that. Iíve destroyed a few forecasters, and the ikon isnít quite enough bite.

I have a Jeffsy with 140 rear, and a 150mm lyrik ultimate on it. DHRII and DHF combo. So that is what I take on my trips to the mountains. The trail pistol is set up 120/130, and Iím looking for it to be more of the ďlocal trailĒ hero.

I was looking at the 2.4 rekon, but the 2.6 are lighter? I think the 2.4 rear and 2.6 could be a good combo...

Or do what was recommended above... save myself a little bit of money, buy the 2.4 rekon for the rear... and keep the dhf up front for awhile. See how that makes her feel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I did not mean to imply the recon 2.6 was lighter than the 2.4, it is not.

I find the recon 2.6 / 2.4 a good combo, but understand you have to lean the bike over hard and it has a big dead spot if you don't lean in the turns. If you are on the side knobs, it will hold. I run 30 internal width rims with the 2.6, which is a bit on the small side for a 2.6. If yours are wider, might not need to lean so hard.

If you want to save money, try the 2.4 in the back only and see if you like it. It will help the climbing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    Good point!

Loose over hard for the most part. East coast riding. Lots of pedaling, so Iím looking for trail tires that are lighter and more sporty.

I have an ikon rear, forekaster front on my hardtail and dig it... but definitely want a level of grip/durability above that. Iíve destroyed a few forecasters, and the ikon isnít quite enough bite.

I have a Jeffsy with 140 rear, and a 150mm lyrik ultimate on it. DHRII and DHF combo. So that is what I take on my trips to the mountains. The trail pistol is set up 120/130, and Iím looking for it to be more of the ďlocal trailĒ hero.

I was looking at the 2.4 rekon, but the 2.6 are lighter? I think the 2.4 rear and 2.6 could be a good combo...

Or do what was recommended above... save myself a little bit of money, buy the 2.4 rekon for the rear... and keep the dhf up front for awhile. See how that makes her feel.

I've been running Continental tires on my TP for the last 4-6 weeks and I absolutely love them. Baron 2.4" front (basically same width as the 2.5 DHF), and a 2.4" Trail King II in the back. They definitely have just as much grip in dry/loose conditions as the Maxxis combo I previously had- DHF/Aggressor or DHF/Dissector-
    if not more, and they're lighter. For rougher trips like Moab/Fruita, I'll put a Kaiser on the rear instead of the TKII.

I personally think the Maxxis tires have gone down in quality and durability over the last 12-18 months, which is why I made the switch. Oh, and the Rekon is a horrible tire if you want any kind of grip or durability. If you're looking for something light and fast rolling for boring/flat/smooth trails, then it's fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Oh, and the Rekon is a horrible tire if you want any kind of grip or durability. If you're looking for something light and fast rolling for boring/flat/smooth trails, then it's fine.
    I cannot disagree more.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Rekons are fair tires for firm, but get into sand, loose, or grease and they're not worthy.

I'd stick with tires that have some tread, winter is coming, I like running DHF on both ends.

mtbr member
    When I look at the tread on them and how well they roll on a variety of surfaces Rekons in 29 x 2.6" and 29 x 2.8" have totally impressed me. Especially how they handled winter conditions in BC. If you are realistic about them they won't disappoint. If you think you are going to ride them like a DHF/DHR/Magic Mary ya you'll have issues.

FWIW - I've been on Rekons for 15 months and a couple thousand Kms. No flats or other issues so far up here in Coastal BC.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    All the differing responses above are why I asked to clarify soil type and terrain!

I dunno jack shit about northeast soils - do you have much clay there? I bet Dissector front Rekon rear gets you a fast setup but I didnít like how the Dissector breaks out laterally in wet conditions, especially wet clay. I havenít tried the Rekon so take this idea suggestion with a huge grain of salt.

I think Smmokanís Conti suggestions do very well on dry loose over hard. Iíve used both MK2.4 and TK2.4 (newer ones on both, not the way old ones that people hate) and they both roll pretty fast. TK2.4 tread pattern hooks up on rails when leaned way over - much more aggressive cornering knob setup than MK2.4. MK2.4 is pretty open block pattern and does okay in loose over firm, usually consistent but Iíve had some wipeouts in truly loose conditions, probably pilot error.

I know east coast riding. It's variable. You can ride smooth, fast, hardpack and tacky trails with the occasional root, or you can ride endless rocks that are all terribly slippy. In this regard, it's probably more akin to PNW trail surfaces.

I would rarely classify the trail surface as loose over hard.

My buddy back in PA is a pretty damn quick rider, and he was really surprised at how much his riding improved when he got on E13's MoPo ultra-tacky slow-rebound tires. He had previously been riding Schwalbe Hans Dampf, but now says that he'll purchase tires based on tacky compounds, especially for the rear. It makes a big difference over slippy rocks.

So with that, I'd suggest find the stickiest rubber you can for the rear. That might not be Maxxis, but here are some suggestions:

I really want to try the Dissector, but primarily as a front tire. I would agree with others that the DHF and Assegai are pretty damn heavy tires, really only suitable for situations where you need ALL the grip up front.

I think the Dissector/Rekon (in EXO+) would be a good pair. Maybe Dissector/Forkaster, or Forkaster/Rekon would be good matches, too.

3C MaxxGrip is going to be the ticket.

Schwalbe now has a much wider range of tires and compounds. Addix Ultra Soft out back.

Continental Mountain King is a good suggestion. Still rolls fairly quick, light, Black Chili, good protection.

Eliminator GRID TRAIL might be another good option, but not very lightweight.

In general, if you want light weight, high grip, decent protection, you need to go with the Euro brands like Schwalbe and Conti.

mtbr member
    Pistola Race size 4 scheduled for delivery tomorrow! Hoping to get it assembled with a shakedown ride before the end of the week. Timing couldn't be better! Heading to Bentonville next week for 3 days of riding!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Congrats! Hope you really like it like i like mine!

mtbr member
    Congrats! Hope you really like it like i like mine!
    Thanks! Sure hope so. Will post updates here.

mtbr member

Shakedown ride report...

Needs a couple minor adjustments including rotating the bars forward a bit and burping the front brake. That said, here's the good, bad, and different coming from a 2017 Mojo 3...

The good: descending is like being on a magic carpet; absolutely eats up chunky terrain both up and down.

There's a spot on my local loop where you have to climb a steep rock pile and then go over or weave through some wheel catchers at the top. I would make that about 1/2 the time on the Ibis. Made it on the first try with ease yesterday on the Pistola.

Climbing traction for days! Took it on the steepest climb near me yesterday, and it just keeps going with no spinning out whatsoever. Also did not have to move forward on the saddle at all for the steep climbs. Just lean forward and keep pedaling. Much more comfortable than trying to sit on the pointy end of the saddle.

FAST: when things open up on the flats or downs, the bike simply flies!

The bad: on the first ride climbing seemed to require a bit more effort than the Ibis. It's possible that this could be attributed to: a hard training ride the day before, so my legs weren't totally fresh; running a round chainring and getting used to it. I ran an oval on the Ibis and really liked it for putting down power on climbs. I may move to an oval on this one but will give it at least a couple weeks to see if I just need to adjust.

Also may need some adjustments to suspension setup. I ran the Ibis with a 140 mm Pike, and it didn't bob at all on climbs. I noticed a little bob yesterday with the 150 mm Fox 36. And a little bob in the rear as well with the DPX2. May just need to move the shock to the middle position for extended climbing.

All-in-all, I'm confident that I'm going to love the Pistola and likely put at least as many miles on it as I did the Ibis in 4 years of ownership.

BTW, XL Mojo 3 for sale, in case you know anyone looking!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Nice

mtbr member
    Multiple attempts to upload a photo have been unsuccessful. :-(

Did you run the same tires on the Ibis as on the TP?

If not, tires can have a massive impact on perceived effort and efficiency.

mtbr member
    Most recently ran Bontrager XR4 27.5 x 2.8 up front and Rekon 27.5 x 2.8 rear on the Ibis.

On the Pistola I'm running a Minion DHF 29 x 2.5 up front and Redon 29 x 2.4 rear.

I feel like those are pretty similar setups, aside from the plus size on the Ibis.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Hi all
    Advancing age has caught up and switching to full suspension. I ride in New England, which mean roots and boney forested trails. Anyone have feedback on the TP or Pistola in this region. Considering the Pistola with a 150nm fork and 130mm shock. Most of my riding buddies are XC fans but Iím more interested in a bike that is a decent climber/descender but is easier on a damaged neck (getting old isnít always fun). I donít do big jumps (if I do, something has gone horribly wrong and my bike usually heading in the opposite direction of my body). Thank you in advance for your feedback.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    No experience in that region, but I do have back issues and had to switch from a HT to full sus this year with the TP. I have back issues that just didn't like the HT on the chunk out here in So Cal, and I like to ride hard and fast. The TP works for me, but I think the more travel the better if you are trying to smooth out the neck pain. Pistola might be the ticket even if you arent gonna use all the travel all the time. Good luck

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    TP is an easy choice for a fs bike. Shock set up can make a big difference. I currently have a DPX2 and took the volume spacer out to make it more linear. In my opinion, this makes the rear more balanced with the fork and overall a bit more forgiving of a feel (less harsh). I ride in rocky terrain (more rocky than what most reviews) and the bike climbs better in this configuration. Not sure if it wall help with your back, it may be a bit of trial and error. Perhaps a coil might be better. Have you considered a Smash? You could tweak the geo to get it close to a TP.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookbiker View Post
    Hi all
    Advancing age has caught up and switching to full suspension. I ride in New England, which mean roots and boney forested trails. Anyone have feedback on the TP or Pistola in this region. Considering the Pistola with a 150nm fork and 130mm shock. Most of my riding buddies are XC fans but Iím more interested in a bike that is a decent climber/descender but is easier on a damaged neck (getting old isnít always fun). I donít do big jumps (if I do, something has gone horribly wrong and my bike usually heading in the opposite direction of my body). Thank you in advance for your feedback.
    Neck pain is also about cockpit, consider raising your bars, running a tighter cockpit, different bar width and grips help a lot, even a better seat can help with pain.

I have pretty serious neck pain from years of trauma, sometimes it burns so bad I have to stop and stretch, Iíll ride one handed at times, but the most important thing for me to learn is maintaining good posture while riding; avoid hunching over and keep your arms bent.

More suspension wonít soften the ride in terms of neck pain, it could even increase pain due to excessive body movements which can exacerbate the seesaw movement; the whip in whiplash.

Going to an FS bike will help balance the front-rear movement, so less front end dive, creating a more balance ride style.

The Pistola is a great bike, I rode one for a while, though my current ride is a Shred Dogg mullet; I also run 29Ē wheels on both ends. The Shred has a shorter chainstay and taller bb than the Pistola when run 29Ē.

So yeah, the Pistola is a good choice if you want an aggressive short travel 29er.

As a fellow old person, riding since I was a kid, I literally feel your pain, I recently gave up my long travel bike and just ride two short travel FS bikes.

I lived in Knoxville Tennessee for twenty years, I know your riding conditions, for sure a short travel 29er is the better choice.

Think about the Shred as a 29Ē, I realize itís not the norm, but increasing pedal clearance is worth the higher COG, short chainstays are awesome for tight terrain. Iím 6í, ride a Size 3 in short mode.

My Shred is set up with a 29er fork set at 140mm, riding the tall lower cup, so relative to a 27.5 itís a 155mm fork. I was riding in trail mode (130mm), but currently riding in plush (140mm). The Shred also rides great as a 27.5.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Passing along a swing arm protection flap i made out of anti-slip vinyl flooring. Sorry in advance if already posted.

I got a rock in the chainstay bridge and seat tube, scratched it up a bit. Decided to mock up something like what IBIS makes for the ripley and ripmo. Works great. Install with double-sided heavy duty tape.. Super easy to make. <$20 in material and quick to install. See picks for a rough outline if you want to do it yourself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-20201123_114801.jpg  

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-20201125_124459.jpg  

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-20201125_124718.jpg  

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456