Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol - Page 5- Mtbr.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    mtbr member
    All great points! I did consider the pains of switching parts and the fact I'd need to account for cable/chain growth and it did give me pause to think, "Do I really hate myself that much?".

The biggest reason I'm thinking about the TP is simply because some days I want a nimble, light, efficient 29er weapon to hop on with my camera gear. The TP with 130/140 looks almost ideal, but man I really liked how plush that smash felt bombing down a chunky trail. I'd almost say it was as smooth, if not a little more smooth than my Yeti SB5+. Also, in crush mode the smash climbed amazingly well!

That said, living in south Denver gives me access to a lot of trails and parks. While I wouldn't swap out every day, it would be nice to have the option swap for a megatrail and go hits some park over the weekend. Or have the Smash be my Enduro/DH bike and the Shred Dog be my everyday bike.

Too many good bikes!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If it matters GG has said - if you want a 130mm bike, just get the Smash.

Although I don't think you would be limited in anyway by a 120/130 bike (compared to a 130/140).

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I agree that swapping parts/shocks for a day or 5 doesn't really turn me on either. But, I can see a place down the road a few years where I have ridden the Smash a ton and I am getting a bit bored of the same old same old. At that point making it into a SD or MT could be very appealing just for something different.

When I look back at why I replaced my last couple bikes it was just for a change of pace. Not because I wore them out...even my 9yr old Nomad!
    How does the suspension feel on the GG compared to your Knolly? I'm thinking about the TP and Fugitive. I'm sure you've heard my praise for the Endo with a CC Inline coil. I've yet to ride a bike that feels anywhere near that good suspension-wise.

Right now the TP with the IL Coil, in raw of course, looks nice except it really comes it at a rather hefty weight. The reviews on the TP all suggest the suspension is rather taught, and that's not what I'm looking for. But I also hear with a coil GGs feel great.

My guess is they have a similar progressive leverage curve similar to Knolly - and that works really well with a coil. Every bike with a progressive leverage curve with an air spring I've ridden did not work well for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    How does the suspension feel on the GG compared to your Knolly? I'm thinking about the TP and Fugitive. I'm sure you've heard my praise for the Endo with a CC Inline coil. I've yet to ride a bike that feels anywhere near that good suspension-wise.

Right now the TP with the IL Coil, in raw of course, looks nice except it really comes it at a rather hefty weight. The reviews on the TP all suggest the suspension is rather taught, and that's not what I'm looking for. But I also hear with a coil GGs feel great.

My guess is they have a similar progressive leverage curve similar to Knolly - and that works really well with a coil. Every bike with a progressive leverage curve with an air spring I've ridden did not work well for me.
    Good question. I've thought about it a lot, but sadly I don't have much to say that I think would be helpful in terms of a detailed description. I'll do my best....

I like riding the Smash more than my Endo. If I had to choose I'd keep the Smash without thinking about it. And as you know I was and am pretty stoked about the Endo.

My Smash is ~5lbs heavier than my Endo and I'm PRing the climbs as well as the descents. The only time I notice the weight is lifting the bike off a rack or out of my truck. A couple times I thought about doing a light build on the Smash for less gnarly riding and I honestly couldn't come up with any solid performance reason to do so other than to make it feel nicer to lift out of the truck.

A big part of what I love about the Smash is how it steers. It's just the best handling bike I've owned of any wheel size. It's always doing the right thing without me having to think about it. I wish I could dissect this and fully understand what's going on, but so far I haven't been able to.

The suspension is weird. Mostly because it doesn't make sense to me logically. With the coil and the fact I run the bike in plush mode it should be a $hitty climber, but it's not. It climbs amazing. I did Lord of the Squirrels in Whistler and never bothered to do anything with the shock other than ride it full open all the way up and all the way down.

Okay so it climbs great, but that should then mean it's going to sacrifice traction going up and plushness going down. Nope. I've climbed stuff on the Smash my Knolly struggled with....to be fair I don't think 4x4 is the issue I think it's the 29er wheels and the suspension is a wash. And going down it's controlled and comfortable for a 140mm travel bike.

Big picture feel difference between my Knolly and the Smash is zero...in terms of I don't end rides feeling like there was a traction or comfort benefit to one over the other...doing my best to take wheel size out of the equation. They do feel different, but it's a really vague feeling that's hard for me to pin down.

I also love the external cable routing, frame pack space and dual bottle capability. I pretty much never have to wear a pack on the Smash and always need one on the Endo after 3hrs.

I liked the Smash so much I have thought about getting a Shred Dog frame and moving my Endo parts across, but it doesn't make sense financially.

Knolly is great company. I am sure the Fugitive is a great bike. If I had to only ever ride Knolly bikes for the rest of my MTB career I would not be sad at all.

That said GG has blown me away and checked every box on my MTB experience. I can only speak to the Smash with a coil, but in that case I can say it's a pretty special bike.

The TP definitely sounds more taut than the Smash and probably the Fug. So if that's not what you are after it sounds like you should pass.

Sorry....haha....I'd like to be able to draw a more specific comparison, but I can't. In fact I've remarked to myself coming back from rides on the Smash that it's like stuff just happens when I ride it and I stop thinking about the bike and what it's doing. That's actually a pretty nice thing, but makes for $hitty review.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    If it matters GG has said - if you want a 130mm bike, just get the Smash.

Although I don't think you would be limited in anyway by a 120/130 bike (compared to a 130/140).
    I disagree with that. I have a trail pistol and a smash in the garage. The trail pistol is a completely different animal. I say, if longer rides and all day epics are your thing or your trails just aren't very rough, get the trail pistol. If pedaling efficiency takes a back seat to out right speed over anything get the smash. That said I don't think I am any faster or slower between the two, I just much prefer the firmer ride of the pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_twin View Post
    I disagree with that. I have a trail pistol and a smash in the garage. The trail pistol is a completely different animal. I say, if longer rides and all day epics are your thing or your trails just aren't very rough, get the trail pistol. If pedaling efficiency takes a back seat to out right speed over anything get the smash. That said I don't think I am any faster or slower between the two, I just much prefer the firmer ride of the pistol.

Thanks for the feedback! I rode a Yeti SB100 a couple weeks ago at outer bike in Crested Butte and thought it was a hoot for only 100mm in the back, but did quickly find the limits of the bike. Hence why when I found GG and saw the TP I was very interested. That said, the the Ibis Ripmo and the Kona Process 153 are the two bikes I'm measuring everything against.

The smash feels a little less nimble than those two, but is an amazing climber and being so plush it would be great when carrying camera gear on my back and riding down the rocky mountains here in CO. That said, the TP was interesting because carrying all that gear on my back makes me want a more light/nimble bike for getting around the trails.

Since you own both, would you say it's easier to make the Smash a lighter/nimble bike than making the TP more rugged/plush bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Features View Post

Since you own both, would you say it's easier to make the Smash a lighter/nimble bike than making the TP more rugged/plush bike?
    The simple answer is yes, but both bikes have a lot of overlap in uses and feel. I prefer the trail pistol simply because in its firmest configuration it is firmer than the smash in its firmest configuration, which is what I prefer for my riding style and trails.

Don't let the lack of 20 or 10mm of travel sway you from the pistol. I have never felt a harsh bottom out and I've done some stupid things on my TP. There are a few members on here that can attest to how hard I push my bikes. I have also ridden it with both air and coil shocks, again it's about having the right tool for the job.

You really can't go wrong with either but if you're looking for something that has the ability to set up plush or firm depending on the ride I would push you towards an air shocked smash with a 140 fork. That will give you nearly the same handling as a trail pistol at a similar weight but with a little more comfort in trade for a little efficiency (both bikes run with shocks open)

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I agree that 10mm of rear travel on these bikes will not make that much difference at the end of the day.

I went the other way. I took the TP and got an MRP Ribbon Air set to 140mm. The RockShox Deluxe RT is perfect for me. My average ride doesn't need a shock with a remote res on it. My MRP set per their instructions is very supple. Personally I don't think the rear suspension is harsh in any way, but that is me and my personal feelings. i also went with i9 BC360 wheels, 160mm dropper and full XT drivetrain/breaks. Tires were DHF/Agressor 2.5wt. Everything else is stock ride-1 TP. The rims were a splurge on my part, but I really wanted 36mm or larger rims.

Setting my fork to 140mm does change my angles a little bit. Right now I'm closer to a Smash, but still have a light and nimble bike. At first I thought that bike was harsh. Then I redid the shock and fork pressures and it changed completely. GG did a good job getting it close, but it needed to be dialed in. Now that I'm used to my new tires (2.8 rear / 3.0 front) I'm going to start swapping frame modes.

* The Trail Pistol accepts forks between 120-150 mm of travel. Changing the travel +/- 10 mm creates a head angle (HA) change of +/- .4ļ and BB height change of .1" (3 mm).
    With all that said there are a few things you could do a stock TP shock. Every GG bike has one volume spacer installed. If the rear feels to firm, just take out the spacer. If you REALLY can't live without a few more mm in the rear end, you could remove the bottom our spacer from the shock and get 5mm more shaft travel. I'm not sure what that translates in suspension travel.

http://forums.mtbr.com/guerrilla-gra...l#post13745300

Unless your daily ride is big hits and looks like a Pink Bike Instagram post my suggestion is go with the TP. With either bike I would suggest getting the MRP Ribbon Air.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    I agree that 10mm of rear travel on these bikes will not make that much difference at the end of the day.

I went the other way. I took the TP and got an MRP Ribbon Air set to 140mm. The RockShox Deluxe RT is perfect for me. My average ride doesn't need a shock with a remote res on it. My MRP set per their instructions is very supple. Personally I don't think the rear suspension is harsh in any way, but that is me and my personal feelings. i also went with i9 BC360 wheels, 160mm dropper and full XT drivetrain/breaks. Tires were DHF/Agressor 2.5wt. Everything else is stock ride-1 TP. The rims were a splurge on my part, but I really wanted 36mm or larger rims.

Setting my fork to 140mm does change my angles a little bit. Right now I'm closer to a Smash, but still have a light and nimble bike. At first I thought that bike was harsh. Then I redid the shock and fork pressures and it changed completely. GG did a good job getting it close, but it needed to be dialed in. Now that I'm used to my new tires (2.8 rear / 3.0 front) I'm going to start swapping frame modes.

With all that said there are a few things you could do a stock TP shock. Every GG bike has one volume spacer installed. If the rear feels to firm, just take out the spacer. If you REALLY can't live without a few more mm in the rear end, you could remove the bottom our spacer from the shock and get 5mm more shaft travel. I'm not sure what that translates in suspension travel.

http://forums.mtbr.com/guerrilla-gra...l#post13745300

Unless your daily ride is big hits and looks like a Pink Bike Instagram post my suggestion is go with the TP. With either bike I would suggest getting the MRP Ribbon Air.
    The trail pistol definitely doesn't feel harsh, just more supportive than the smash. I like a bike that tends to ride higher in its travel, between the two that's the TP.

Removing the blue spacer in my picture above nets an additional 10mm of rear wheel travel but sacrifices some tire clearance at full bottom out. I did not remove the spacer and notice no difference between 120 and 130 travel I had before.

mtbr member
    TP vs Smash really comes down to what you want the suspension to feel like, especially when you go 130 in the rear of the TP, not necessarily what trails you ride. If you subscribe to ďfirm is fastĒ, or you want better pedal efficiency, go TP. If you like things a little more plush, the Smash is your call. Both bikes are fun, long, and stable.

FWIW, I ran my TP with a long stroke coil in Plush mode and offset bushings to make it -1į. I wound up with a 65.4, 130/150 Enduro race bike. Itís complement is a v1 Megatrail, and I found the TP faster in certain locales. Now that summer is over Iíll be going back to the air shock, less travel, and steeper angles to get the bike a little lighter and more ďtrailĒ oriented, as I have a Patrol on the way to take the MTís place.

Keep on Rockin...
    Good question. I've thought about it a lot, but sadly I don't have much to say that I think would be helpful in terms of a detailed description. I'll do my best....

I like riding the Smash more than my Endo. If I had to choose I'd keep the Smash without thinking about it. And as you know I was and am pretty stoked about the Endo.

My Smash is ~5lbs heavier than my Endo and I'm PRing the climbs as well as the descents. The only time I notice the weight is lifting the bike off a rack or out of my truck. A couple times I thought about doing a light build on the Smash for less gnarly riding and I honestly couldn't come up with any solid performance reason to do so other than to make it feel nicer to lift out of the truck.

A big part of what I love about the Smash is how it steers. It's just the best handling bike I've owned of any wheel size. It's always doing the right thing without me having to think about it. I wish I could dissect this and fully understand what's going on, but so far I haven't been able to.

The suspension is weird. Mostly because it doesn't make sense to me logically. With the coil and the fact I run the bike in plush mode it should be a $hitty climber, but it's not. It climbs amazing. I did Lord of the Squirrels in Whistler and never bothered to do anything with the shock other than ride it full open all the way up and all the way down.

Okay so it climbs great, but that should then mean it's going to sacrifice traction going up and plushness going down. Nope. I've climbed stuff on the Smash my Knolly struggled with....to be fair I don't think 4x4 is the issue I think it's the 29er wheels and the suspension is a wash. And going down it's controlled and comfortable for a 140mm travel bike.

Big picture feel difference between my Knolly and the Smash is zero...in terms of I don't end rides feeling like there was a traction or comfort benefit to one over the other...doing my best to take wheel size out of the equation. They do feel different, but it's a really vague feeling that's hard for me to pin down.

I also love the external cable routing, frame pack space and dual bottle capability. I pretty much never have to wear a pack on the Smash and always need one on the Endo after 3hrs.

I liked the Smash so much I have thought about getting a Shred Dog frame and moving my Endo parts across, but it doesn't make sense financially.

Knolly is great company. I am sure the Fugitive is a great bike. If I had to only ever ride Knolly bikes for the rest of my MTB career I would not be sad at all.

That said GG has blown me away and checked every box on my MTB experience. I can only speak to the Smash with a coil, but in that case I can say it's a pretty special bike.

The TP definitely sounds more taut than the Smash and probably the Fug. So if that's not what you are after it sounds like you should pass.

Sorry....haha....I'd like to be able to draw a more specific comparison, but I can't. In fact I've remarked to myself coming back from rides on the Smash that it's like stuff just happens when I ride it and I stop thinking about the bike and what it's doing. That's actually a pretty nice thing, but makes for $hitty review.

Thanks, that was helpful.

The TP with 130 out back with an IL Coil would be just about perfect, but its risky as I don't think I can get a test ride.

Wheels - As someone who's spent a ton of time on the big hoops, 29", I'd bet money a lot of the good stuff you are feeling is coming from the wheels.

I think what has made the Endo work well for me is the coil. While initially counter intuitive I do think the coil helps in some ways with climbing. Yes, the coil is softer off the top but when you are on a steep climb I'd say the suspension has sagged past that point and is very close to mid-travel. That is where I believe, by their nature, air springs wallow due to the very nature/phyiscial properties of an air spring. It is at that point in travel a coil spring adds relatively more support/resistance. So, that's why, weight aside, I think I thinks coils climb mountain bike trails better.

If the Fug could be had at 120 or 130 with a IL coil I'd consider that. But in the 120 mode its air sprung only, and I find that an air spring on a progressive leverage curve (LC) works rather poorly for my style and terrain. In the 135 mode, I'd be looking at a heavier Fox DHX coil, and then probably a proper fork to match - like a Lyric or 36. At that point, that would be one heavy duty rig, and likely overkill for 90% of my riding.

Anyway, just thinking out loud here, and I too am trying to "dissect" what makes a bike run well.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Full Fall Camo

I'm loving this bike more and more with every ride. Full fall camo!Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-20180908_112720.jpgGuerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-20180826_193436.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Just got a shipping confirmation! My new bike is supposed to be at my doorstep this Thu. Any tips/tricks for assembly or is it pretty straightforward?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Pretty typical. The brake calipers will be installed but need adjustment. Install derailleur and make hopefully-minor adjustments. Cockpit will be bare. My dropper wasn't installed, which shocked me a bit. Then I realized 'oh yeah, they didn't bother because external frame routing! wooooo!' and it was super easy and I was happy.

My seat tube was a little rough inside, would recommend checking it for general small bits of fab shop debris. I just wiped mine out with a towel-on-a-stick and some all-purpose cleaner. Greased seat post liberally, and still had to give a good twisty-massage to get it seated.

Otherwise suspension pivots and all that on mine were tight and good to go, stem was installed with proper headset preload, ect. All that stuff should be checked, anyway...pretty much, it just doesn't matter to me who started to build the bike; if I'm doing the final assembly, I'm treating it like I built the bike. I'm gonna check and take responsibility for every single fastener on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by phuchmileif View Post
    My seat tube was a little rough inside, would recommend checking it for general small bits of fab shop debris. I just wiped mine out with a towel-on-a-stick and some all-purpose cleaner. Greased seat post liberally, and still had to give a good twisty-massage to get it seated.
    Good tip and thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by notsendy View Post
    Just got a shipping confirmation! My new bike is supposed to be at my doorstep this Thu. Any tips/tricks for assembly or is it pretty straightforward?
    Congrats, you're going to love it.

If you need any help with set up let me know.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Is anyone using a topaz on the rear? Iím considering pairing a ribbon air with a topaz, or maybe the new sapphire when I order my pistol. The dpx2 looks nice, but the topaz is more affordable and serviceable at home.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Someone at GG mentioned the Topaz but I thought maybe they were confusing the TP with one of their other bikes...I haven't seen the Topaz in the right size?

I paired my Sapphire with the CC DBcoil and couldn't be happier. This suspension design seems to REALLY like coil shocks. So active/smooth/compliant, but I've had no concerns with bottoming, and pedalling is great considering the amount of squish.

I also seemed to be able to dial the rear tune in pretty quick. On most bikes, I never really feel like the front and rear suspension 'matches,' and I just work on tuning the fork to my liking, and get the rear 'good enough.' But my TP is just on another level...when you stand on the pedals and really try to drive the bottom bracket into the ground, both ends compress evenly with a similar feeling progression and similar damping behavior. It's...very nice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Options are listed as 210x50 and 210x55 - research shows that the 50mm strokenis the same as 55, with a spacer. So you get a pistol and pistola with one shock 🤘🏽One reason Iím considering it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by n1cholasj View Post
    Options are listed as 210x50 and 210x55 - research shows that the 50mm strokenis the same as 55, with a spacer. So you get a pistol and pistola with one shock One reason Iím considering it
    Every 210x50 I've ever seen is just a 55mm stroke with a 5mm spacer to limit bottom out.

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-img_6971.jpg

I've posted the picture above a few times and some how people are still confused.

The blue spacer is 5mm thick. This makes the stroke of the RockShox deluxe it is in 50mm. Without it the stroke would be 55mm. The extended eye to eye does not change based on this spacer. I have yet to see a shock with a 210 eye to eye that couldn't be converted between 50 and 55mm of stroke by simply adding or removing a 5mm spacer. If you wanted to be safe, you could order a 210x55 then add your own spacer should you want the 50mm stroke.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Well hell
    Learn something new every day!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Good used option available for the frame over at PinkBike.
    Large, Lambo color.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2452639/

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    W00t! There are many like it, but this one is mine. Shaking it down tomorrow after work!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by notsendy View Post
    W00t! There are many like it, but this one is mine. Shaking it down tomorrow after work!

Nice, congrats!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Tried the bike out last night and, like a lot of folks seem to, got a bunch of PRs with minimal fiddling and effort. Canít wait to ride again! Itís a beast both up and down.

I went out in crush mode with ~25% sag on both ends. Gonna try plush mode and maybe goof around with the fork a bit. GX Eagle is a little finicky so far as well.

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    Also a pretty sweet complete for 2400 as well.....
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol

mtbr member
    hello, Ive been drooling over the trail pistol for a couple weeks now but im trying to decide on a fork. I live in florida so the trails here are very mellow but i make trips to alabama and ride some much more rocky trails up there. I also do a lot of bikepacking to include the tahoe area. Im wanting to build up a comfortable bike that can pedal all day long but still shred the downhills. is anybody using a 120 fork on theirs? the reason i ask is im thinking about the new step cast 34 but i hate that its limited to 120. i currently have a 140 yari but the steerer is too short to swap unless i change the uppers. so my question for everyone is would you rather have the 120mm Step cast (and go lightweight) , 130 Ribbon, or just run my yari

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by beens View Post
    hello, Ive been drooling over the trail pistol for a couple weeks now but im trying to decide on a fork. I live in florida so the trails here are very mellow but i make trips to alabama and ride some much more rocky trails up there. I also do a lot of bikepacking to include the tahoe area. Im wanting to build up a comfortable bike that can pedal all day long but still shred the downhills. is anybody using a 120 fork on theirs? the reason i ask is im thinking about the new step cast 34 but i hate that its limited to 120. i currently have a 140 yari but the steerer is too short to swap unless i change the uppers. so my question for everyone is would you rather have the 120mm Step cast (and go lightweight) , 130 Ribbon, or just run my yari
    Get the MRP Ribbon Air.

You can adjust the length to 150mm and all the parts are included. I have mine set to 140mm and love it.

The ramp control is truly amazing and you'll never have to deal with tokens again. The positive and negative air Chambers make the fork super supple.

You can also run up to a 29x3 tire depending on your rims. I have a 29x3 XR2 up front right now with i9 BC360 i36mm rims. I'm looking at moving to an XR4 next year.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I do love that you can change the travel for free pretty much. i guess i could find somewhere else to loose a bit of weight. honestly I should stop caring about weight as i ride a 30lb hardtail now haha. looks like the price of the mrp direct from GG is about as good s it can get too. Im running the maxxis rekon 29x2.6 on santa cruxz reserve 30s so i like the idea of some extra clearance. did everyone have to dish there wheels to get them to fit a larger tire?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I do love that you can change the travel for free pretty much. i guess i could find somewhere else to loose a bit of weight. honestly I should stop caring about weight as i ride a 30lb hardtail now haha. looks like the price of the mrp direct from GG is about as good s it can get too. Im running the maxxis rekon 29x2.6 on santa cruxz reserve 30s so i like the idea of some extra clearance. did everyone have to dish there wheels to get them to fit a larger tire?
    I'm running a 29x2.8 McFly in the rear and I did nothing to my i9 BC360 rim. I also fit a 29x3 XR2 in the rear. I would say that's the max for the rear. I had no rubbing standup pedaling in the street. I also did a bottom out test and there was no contact with the seat tube. Granted, I didn't ride it on the trail.

I don't have the link handy but I started a Trail Pistol 29+ thread in this section. There are a load of pics, measurements and so on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    I'm running a 29x2.8 McFly in the rear and I did nothing to my i9 BC360 rim. I also fit a 29x3 XR2 in the rear. I would say that's the max for the rear. I had no rubbing standup pedaling in the street. I also did a bottom out test and there was no contact with the seat tube. Granted, I didn't ride it on the trail.

I don't have the link handy but I started a Trail Pistol 29+ thread in this section. There are a load of pics, measurements and so on.

I saw your thread. it looks great. cant believe this has room for tires that big!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I saw your thread. it looks great. cant believe this has room for tires that big!
    Mine doesn't have room for a rear tire that big. I must have an older chainstay design.
    2017 Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol XXL
    2017 Rocky Mountain Element XXL
    2016 Fuse Pro XXL 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTall View Post
    Mine doesn't have room for a rear tire that big. I must have an older chainstay design.
    Mine is a 2018. I got it in May of this year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTall View Post
    Not worried about running a 2.8 really. Just want to run a xc type 2.6

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hey fellas!

Looking for some suspension setup advice... My dad just bought a brand spankin new Ride 1 level TP, and then tore his ACL immediately (skydiving). Sooo.... I'm going home for thanksgiving, and he wants me to put it through it's paces to see how she does. He's got a 130 pike up front, and a Delux RT in the rear with 120mm of travel. What kind of sag does the TP like?

My first ride i'll take it on will be mostly flowy, with some moderate chunk in there... and then I'll take it out to the mountains and hit some rough stuff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    Hey fellas!

Looking for some suspension setup advice... My dad just bought a brand spankin new Ride 1 level TP, and then tore his ACL immediately (skydiving). Sooo.... I'm going home for thanksgiving, and he wants me to put it through it's paces to see how she does. He's got a 130 pike up front, and a Delux RT in the rear with 120mm of travel. What kind of sag does the TP like?

My first ride i'll take it on will be mostly flowy, with some moderate chunk in there... and then I'll take it out to the mountains and hit some rough stuff.
    I run mine at 25%-ish sag in the rear. For the front I would suggest what ever the manual says matches your weight.

One thing, don't need mess with the open/close switch on the rear shock. Just leave it open and have fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The TP - has two modes Plush / Crush. Crush gives you the most "support" and is the stiffest setting. If you think it feels too stiff at 25% you can run more sag (30%) or switch to Plush mode.

Basically just need to play around it with it to find your preferred set-up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks for the input! I'll start out with it at 25% in the rear in the slack setting and see how she does.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Relevant question: Who's running a 29er TP in plush?

I've been in crush since I've had mine. Figured the bike already has that kinda high, 'bar stool' feel (not really a knock on it, steep seat geo just is what it is), so I probably don't want more STA and a higher BB.

But I'm always for smoother suspension. I think I'm gonna give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Iím curious about plush mode with a Angleset at -1 or -1.5... havenít gotten my bike yet to see what standard crush feels like

mtbr member
    Nov 2017

I've been in crush since I've had mine. Figured the bike already has that kinda high, 'bar stool' feel (not really a knock on it, steep seat geo just is what it is), so I probably don't want more STA and a higher BB.

But I'm always for smoother suspension. I think I'm gonna give it a shot.
    I switch depending on the trail. I'm running my MRP Ribbon at 140mm and a 29x3 front tire. That slackens the angles a tad to start with. Some of the trails I ride a extremely XC and really benefit from the steeper angles.

I can also notice a difference on big very days. 2000ft of vert in an 8 mile screams for Plush.

I would say I run Crush mode 80% of the time. It's easier to get the front tire over obstacles in Crush. I don't notice a big difference between the two modes going down. Keep in mind my last bike had a head angle of 73 degrees.

mtbr member
    I run probably 80% plush mode and like the snappier feel. I find long low slack geometry is already super stable at speed anyway. The faster, more open trails benefit from crush, but my local twisty ones feel better in plush. Thankful for options btw.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I tried it on a quick 8-10 mile run. Tight east-coast pseudo-techy flow, lower speeds over rolling hills as opposed to any 'real' climbs or descents.

I'm surprised, disappointed, and pleased, all at once. Surprised that my super-picky always-tuning ass felt no real difference in the performance of the bike, first of all. I just could not pick out what was better about it.

Disappointed that plush really only seems to do one thing: upset what I've been feeling is pretty perfect weight balance. In crush, I may still say the BB feels high and the seat feels steep...but it still feels good. It's a trade-off that gives me such a great if a bit bizarre mash-up between an XC speeder (the efficient pedaling owed, in addition to the geo, to the Onyx hub and my switch to clipless), and a general trail crusher (from flow, to more enduro, to light downhill).

But when I flip that chip...eh...I just feel more forward on the bike, heavier on my hands. Leads to less comfort, and what feels like worse handing (or, maybe, rather, just not as suited to the way I handle my bikes). I eventually lost my front wheel in a sloppy section. After a very brief moment of sawing the bars back and forth, trying to correct (I really felt like I should've been able to save it), my fork flopped over completely and I did one of those lovely 'not quite a bail to the side, not quite an OTB' maneuvers where I generally roll over my right shoulder and smash my right hip into something hard (every. damn. time).

Even though that was totally my fault, I cursed at 'plush' mode, swapped it back, and immediately felt more at home on the bike. That's the 'pleased' part...I don't need to keep swapping the flip chip. One less parameter to mess with: crush is the way for me.

I'm actually wondering now what I could do to further enhance the...'crushiness.' I really think I want to be closer to the ground. Is anyone running a TP at less than the recommend 27.5 tire size? I.e. not true 2.8-3.0 tires? Talking more like 2.5-2.6, which could knock an inch or more off the tire diameter when compared to a meaty 29x2.35 like the Hans Dampf.

Can't be sure that I would like it better. But it's an idea. I think I've got enough BB height to afford dropping it less than an inch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Okay, now I feel like getting really stupid, when I think about it...

Has anyone 69er'd a Trail Pistol? Or Smash, for that matter? I'm envisioning like a standard 'big but not fat' front tire, e.g. the mentioned Hans Dampf. Then fit a chunky 27.5 in the back. Bam, slacker head angle, slacker seat, I bet it would feel good...

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I tried it on a quick 8-10 mile run. Tight east-coast pseudo-techy flow, lower speeds over rolling hills as opposed to any 'real' climbs or descents.

I'm surprised, disappointed, and pleased, all at once. Surprised that my super-picky always-tuning ass felt no real difference in the performance of the bike, first of all. I just could not pick out what was better about it.

Disappointed that plush really only seems to do one thing: upset what I've been feeling is pretty perfect weight balance. In crush, I may still say the BB feels high and the seat feels steep...but it still feels good. It's a trade-off that gives me such a great if a bit bizarre mash-up between an XC speeder (the efficient pedaling owed, in addition to the geo, to the Onyx hub and my switch to clipless), and a general trail crusher (from flow, to more enduro, to light downhill).

But when I flip that chip...eh...I just feel more forward on the bike, heavier on my hands. Leads to less comfort, and what feels like worse handing (or, maybe, rather, just not as suited to the way I handle my bikes). I eventually lost my front wheel in a sloppy section. After a very brief moment of sawing the bars back and forth, trying to correct (I really felt like I should've been able to save it), my fork flopped over completely and I did one of those lovely 'not quite a bail to the side, not quite an OTB' maneuvers where I generally roll over my right shoulder and smash my right hip into something hard (every. damn. time).

Even though that was totally my fault, I cursed at 'plush' mode, swapped it back, and immediately felt more at home on the bike. That's the 'pleased' part...I don't need to keep swapping the flip chip. One less parameter to mess with: crush is the way for me.

I'm actually wondering now what I could do to further enhance the...'crushiness.' I really think I want to be closer to the ground. Is anyone running a TP at less than the recommend 27.5 tire size? I.e. not true 2.8-3.0 tires? Talking more like 2.5-2.6, which could knock an inch or more off the tire diameter when compared to a meaty 29x2.35 like the Hans Dampf.

Can't be sure that I would like it better. But it's an idea. I think I've got enough BB height to afford dropping it less than an inch.
    Okay, now I feel like getting really stupid, when I think about it...

Has anyone 69er'd a Trail Pistol? Or Smash, for that matter? I'm envisioning like a standard 'big but not fat' front tire, e.g. the mentioned Hans Dampf. Then fit a chunky 27.5 in the back. Bam, slacker head angle, slacker seat, I bet it would feel good...
    I would give it a month or two before changing anything. Run Crush mode and give yourself time to get used to the differences of a new bike.

Slacker HA and SA angles kind of defeat the purpose of the Trail Pistol. I'm not a fan of the 69 thing on bikes. It just seems like forcing a square peg in a round hole or trying to fix a bad frame design.

Depending on the fork you have you could extend it to 140-150mm. That would change the HA by .4 to .8 degrees. There are also angle headsets you could use.

Per the GG site
    * The Trail Pistol accepts forks between 120-150 mm of travel. Changing the travel +/- 10 mm creates a head angle (HA) change of +/- .4ļ and BB height change of .1" (3 mm).

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have a Ventana that I run 29 fr/27.5 r...really fun, feels like you donít give up much of the benefits of 29. The geo was designed around that setup, so results may vary with a bike designed around 29 front and rear...

mtbr member
    I tried it on a quick 8-10 mile run...I'm surprised, disappointed, and pleased, all at once. ...But when I flip that chip...eh...I just feel more forward on the bike, heavier on my hands. Leads to less comfort, and what feels like worse handing (or, maybe, rather, just not as suited to the way I handle my bikes). I eventually lost my front wheel in a sloppy section. After a very brief moment of sawing the bars back and forth, trying to correct (I really felt like I should've been able to save it), my fork flopped over completely and I did one of those lovely 'not quite a bail to the side, not quite an OTB' maneuvers where I generally roll over my right shoulder and smash my right hip into something hard (every. damn. time).
    Hmmm...interesting experiment results... I haven't noticed the weight on the hands and mostly noticed a loss in the 'pop', but more stability. I like to wheelie out of corners, manual/speedwheelie through sections of trail, and generally look for fun. Did you adjust shock pressures too?
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Whelp I got in a few rides on the Trail Pistol... what a weapon!

I left the shock wide open the whole time, and it was an excellent firm climbing platform. It was an extremely intuitive experience climbing, and descending. I was railing berms like crazy.

I could definitely feel the shorter legs of the bike when compared to my Jeffsy, but it was a much more appropriate bike for the more rolly terrain that I tested it out on. It gets into the poppy fun area of the bike at lower speeds, which is nice when you donít have huge descents.... good thing I get to ride it as much as I want to for free, or Iíd be wanting one for the stable

mtbr member
    Tech Question:

I have the older TP frame with the higher dropper cable port. I just installed a 170mm dropper and it barely fits. The cable is bound a little bit, but not enough to impact lever stiffness. Thing is, I would actually like my saddle about 1/4" lower for pedaling through chunk in flats. Just makes staying on the pedals easier when seated.

Has anyone modified the port for their dropper cable? Pics? Advice?
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    I drilled a dropper port into an old Titus ElGuapo and there are no problems at all after 3 years. Drill two holes and cut out the piece inbetween. The bigger question is warranty I think. There was no hope of ever getting any warranty on the Titus anyway, so I had nothing to lose.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF!

Arrrghhh!!!

Whelp I got in a few rides on the Trail Pistol... what a weapon!

I left the shock wide open the whole time, and it was an excellent firm climbing platform. It was an extremely intuitive experience climbing, and descending. I was railing berms like crazy.

I could definitely feel the shorter legs of the bike when compared to my Jeffsy, but it was a much more appropriate bike for the more rolly terrain that I tested it out on. It gets into the poppy fun area of the bike at lower speeds, which is nice when you donít have huge descents.... good thing I get to ride it as much as I want to for free, or Iíd be wanting one for the stable

Mudder, can you compare your impressions between the Jeffsy and pistol?

Tia

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayndar View Post
    I drilled a dropper port into an old Titus ElGuapo and there are no problems at all after 3 years. Drill two holes and cut out the piece inbetween. The bigger question is warranty I think. There was no hope of ever getting any warranty on the Titus anyway, so I had nothing to lose.
    Iím second owner so I donít think warranty applies to me anyway.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by insighter View Post

Tia

I have ridden both and I got the Trail Pistol. The Jeffsy was a nice bike. It didn't climb as well the Trail Pistol. The YT didn't have as much clearance around the rear tire. I didn't feel I could get a 29x2.8-3 on there. Also, there was a weird thing where my heels hit the chain stays while pedaling. The Trail Pistol felt better both up and down hill.

I'm not a carbon whore. The weight of the Jeffsy and the Trail Pistol are about the same.

The biggest win for me, on the Trail Pistol, is the semi custom. I was able to exactly what I wanted. No compromising or waisting money stuff I didn't want. Getting all XT/e13, i9 rims and an MRP Ribbon wasn't even a possibility with YT. Sure not anything as for the cost I paid.

On top of all this it's a local company and here in Denver. There customer service is second to none. I had a break issue and dropper is on my girlfriend's Shred Dogg. $20 and a few hours they fixed both.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    Iím second owner so I donít think warranty applies to me anyway.
    I thought I read somewhere it only cover the original owner, but GG is pretty amazing. I would be shocked if they didn't stand behind it and work with you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by insighter View Post

Tia

Sure!

So the TP I rode was 120 rear, 130 front. My Jeffsy is 140/140. To me the difference between the bikes is all about the rear travel. The Jeffsy has 20mm more, and you can feel it. When you get out of the saddle with the shock open and mash on a climb with the Jeffsy you are aware that it is probably not the most efficient way to pedal the bike. It climbs well, and you can stand and mash when needed, but it is a little spongy... when you do the same thing on the TP it feels completely at home. There is barely any give to the rear suspension, so it is super responsive. Itís a blast to climb with the TP.

The rear travel also comes into play on descents... the Jeffsy feels agile, and encourages you to let her rip. Huck off of some drops, blast a rock garden, whatever. Itís not too much travel that you can just roll over anything... you have to pick your lines and carve up the trail, but it feels oh so good. The speed that this bike becomes ďaliveĒ is higher than that of the TP.

The TP is a hoot on descents as well. You have to be precise, and really dissect the trail. The geometry is spot on for railing berms, and just feels very intuitive. It is more fun at lower speeds than the Jeffsy. That being said it does not go through the rough stuff nearly as well as the Jeffsy, but the geometry helps you not get out of sorts. I wonder what 135mm would feel like on the rear.

Note: the Jeffsy is a $2300 build, and the TP is a $4500 dollar build. Both bikes had the exact same wheels.

If I had to have one bike it would be a Trail Pistol. Itís more fun on my in town trails than the Jeffsy is, and can still handle the mountains. If I lived in the actual mountains... or just wanted a bike for the mountains it would be the Jeffsy all day.

Iíll be keeping my Jeffsy, and a hardtail... but Iím kind of fortunate that I get to ride the TP whenever my heart desires, haha

Arrrghhh!!!
    Sure!

So the TP I rode was 120 rear, 130 front. My Jeffsy is 140/140. To me the difference between the bikes is all about the rear travel. The Jeffsy has 20mm more, and you can feel it. When you get out of the saddle with the shock open and mash on a climb with the Jeffsy you are aware that it is probably not the most efficient way to pedal the bike. It climbs well, and you can stand and mash when needed, but it is a little spongy... when you do the same thing on the TP it feels completely at home. There is barely any give to the rear suspension, so it is super responsive. Itís a blast to climb with the TP.

The rear travel also comes into play on descents... the Jeffsy feels agile, and encourages you to let her rip. Huck off of some drops, blast a rock garden, whatever. Itís not too much travel that you can just roll over anything... you have to pick your lines and carve up the trail, but it feels oh so good. The speed that this bike becomes ďaliveĒ is higher than that of the TP.

The TP is a hoot on descents as well. You have to be precise, and really dissect the trail. The geometry is spot on for railing berms, and just feels very intuitive. It is more fun at lower speeds than the Jeffsy. That being said it does not go through the rough stuff nearly as well as the Jeffsy, but the geometry helps you not get out of sorts. I wonder what 135mm would feel like on the rear.

Note: the Jeffsy is a $2300 build, and the TP is a $4500 dollar build. Both bikes had the exact same wheels.

If I had to have one bike it would be a Trail Pistol. Itís more fun on my in town trails than the Jeffsy is, and can still handle the mountains. If I lived in the actual mountains... or just wanted a bike for the mountains it would be the Jeffsy all day.

Iíll be keeping my Jeffsy, and a hardtail... but Iím kind of fortunate that I get to ride the TP whenever my heart desires, haha

Great comparison, thanks! I wonder how the pistola set up would alter the ride?

The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Oh I'm sure a 140mm fork, and pistola rear would pretty much make the TP into a direct comparison for the Jeffsy. If you just left the fork at 140, and had two shocks for the rear you would have an extremely versatile setup.

That being said... That is a $5000 dollar setup, but you would essentially have two bikes.

I could have a top of the line carbon Jeffsy with carbon wheels, and fox factory suspension for the same amount. So, I'm not sure which way I would go. It depends on what you already have in your quiver, and what your riding terrain is. I wouldn't hesitate to have the TP as my only bike. It would be better for some of the events that I did on my Jeffsy this year (Snake Creek Gap, PMBAR, Shenandoah 100)... although the Jeffsy did fine, and I would probably still choose it for PMBAR. The snappiness of the climbing on the TP would have been a welcome treat on the Shenandoah 100. I'll most likely ride the TP or a hardtail during that race next year... 140mm is a little overkill for a 100 mile race, haha. I never found myself wishing I was on another bike though! I guess most mountain bikes are just really good these days.

Another random thought: The place that I get annoyed with climbing on the Jeffsy is in rolly/punchy terrain. I never mind climbing with it in the mountains on long sustained climbs. The rear suspension is very active, and hooks up wonderfully. I don't mind it on long gravel climbs either, but I do end up switching the shock into trail mode instead of full open... which is not a big deal at all when you're going to be climbing for an hour. On rolly terrain I like just being able to leave the shock open and mash. This is much more fun on the TP than it is on the Jeffsy.

mdc
    mtbr member
    The "park"version of my TP. Push 11-6 ( 130mm) and a Fox 36 at 150mm. I converted the fork with a Push ASC kit last winter- freaking awesome. I run the bike in Plush 99% of the time. With the additional fork travel its pretty slack...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-fullsizeoutput_b96.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I'm currently only running plush mode on my 29er Pistola I like it better for everything (except a flow trail) at this point.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF in Golden, CO

I like rocks

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    60 degrees in Denver does not suck

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Trail Pistol

Picked up a new Trail Pistol today and took it out for an 18 mile ride at ESA. Rode the black line most of the time with decent drops, lots of berms and good jumps. This bike is amazing!!! Went with Race build, DT Swiss Carbon Wheels, Pike 140mm Fork, Cane Creek DBCoil IL 130mm Rear shock. After riding it I am not sure I could go back to an air shock as it was awesome on the jumps, drops, and small bumps.

I rode an Evil The Following for a few years. Recently had an issue with the Frame and Evil would not take care of the issue. My initial plan was to get the new Evil The Offering but decided to look elsewhere.

The Trial Pistol rides so much better and more stable than the Evil The Following. I was amazed at fast you can go and the Trail Pistol is super stable. The guys at GG are awesome and build an amazing bike! Super happy that I decided to go with the Trail Pistol. No more plastic MTB bikes for me. Forgot to mention that it climbs great!! 29.6lbs with the coil!Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-65f0c78d-b9cb-4d9d-9cc4-252f2ba9da8e.jpg
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-ec6c351f-1792-4202-9ab8-ad1d5b144325.jpg
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-fa98a54d-68f0-45cf-b53e-e6ac62b0117a.jpg
    Last edited by ssspy2002; 01-10-2019 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Pictures

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssspy2002 View Post
    This bike is amazing!!!
    Your post makes me want to go ride. I might have to head to Boise this weekend!
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF!

AOK
    mtbr member
    Selling my Trail Pistol frame if anyone is interested. Posted here and on Pinkbike.

https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116422

mtbr member
    It's a sad day when your Trail Pistol won't fit a 170mm dropper but your 100mm travel XC bike will. Pretty upset I am having to install this 170 in my Epic and order a 150 for my Pistola. WTF Batman?????

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-epic-dropper.jpg

mtbr member
    You might want to check your Pistola before the 150mm even. If it is a '17 then I think 125-130 is max depending on frame size. :-(
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF!

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    I don't know what the obsession is with these huge dropper posts on too-small frames. I run a 125mm dropper and a 150mm would seem absurd. I rarely encounter anything where my ass is anywhere near the seat even with a 125mm slammed. I'm 6', 31" inseam, previously riding an Extra Medium.

You have to choose between low standover and a short seat tube, otherwise you get these wonky frames with a huge upward bend or gusset tube in order to support a long seat tube.

Plus, if you undersize on your frame and run a 170mm (6.6") dropper, you're essentially wanting space for between 10-11 inches under the clamp (450mm total length) (thats if you use a shorter dropper like OneUp). Some 170mm droppers have nearly 12" of max insertion (giggity) and on a 16" "meduim" sized frame, that leaves 4 inches for bottom bracket shell and dropper cable port.

It should be mentioned however that some people were encountering a burr or some sort of internal manufacturing defect in their GG frames that either prevented fully inserting the seatpost, or would mar the seatpost when it was inserted.
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayndar View Post
    You might want to check your Pistola before the 150mm even. If it is a '17 then I think 125-130 is max depending on frame size. :-(
    It is a 2017. I had a 150 in it previously. The 170 ALMOST fit, but bottomed out about 10-15mm higher than needed for more comfortable pedaling on flats.

Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    I don't know what the obsession is with these huge dropper posts on too-small frames.
    I am 6-3 with 33" inseam riding a Large Pistola and prefer the seat right at my knees to grip. For someone who raced MX and hare-scrambles for 15 years, it is just a more natural feel since I always controlled the bike with my knees. A 170 does that exactly. The 150 puts the seat more on my thighs. After a long day in Pisgah with a 150 it's not uncommon to have bruises on my thighs from the seat.
    Last edited by Stalkerfiveo; 03-13-2019 at 11:58 AM.

I have a Rogue Panda frame bag that I'm no longer in need of, its blue in color and fits in the upper portion of the frame. For a large Trail Pistol GG frame on the AL bikes. Not sure if it will work on a Smash, but it is designed to fit over a reservoir shock. Excellent shape, quality item made by a fellow Arizonan and GG rider Nick over at Rogue Panda. Fits all sorts of stuff.

If someone wants it, send me a PM, cover shipping and it is all yours.

Frame bag off to a new owner, Enjoy!

azfishman, did you sell your Pistol, if so why?

I'm curious about how many liters of storage can be kept on the bike. From what I understand the Revved frames will actually be a bit less, unless you utilize a larger top tube bag of some sort with the increase standover.

I sold my large frame Pistola and got an Xl AL frame in November right before the switch.

As far as liters, I'm not sure, but I had a defiant frame bag with tools and my frame bag for a sandwich, food jacket etc and a hip pack for 24 ounces of water and I loved it. I ditched the back pack and am not looking back unless it is a long, long day.

Nick at Rogue Panda, who is also a pistol owner made it for me, I also have one for the new XL bike.

FWIW I put a deposit on a carbon frame, but I think I am sticking with the metal.

Cheers

mtbr member
    If anyone is interested in a raw frame Pistola with coil suspension front and rear, lemme know!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0544507786942/

mtbr member
    Picked up my Revved Trail Pistol yesterday afternoon, made some adjustments, and took 'er for the first ride this morning before it got too damn hot. Rode about 20 miles, 2500' of climbing. It's going to take a few rides to get the suspension figured out and dialed in, it was definitely too harsh today in "crush" mode so I'll switch that tonight. Otherwise, the bike feels like a slightly quicker-handling Ripmo with less travel. And very similar to the Spot Mayhem I rode last year, which is/was my favorite bike to date.

The bike is a Size 3 Trail Pistola (130mm rear), Ride 1 build with a BikeYoke 185mm dropper and a set of I-9 Enduro 305 wheels.

Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol-gg-trailpistol-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GG-TrailPistol-1.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	371.0 KB 
ID:	1264143
    Now that I have seen the Revveb GG bikes in person I can appreciate these photos even more. Awesome bike. Have a great time.

Don't hesitate to run that bad boy in Plush Mode. I run my coil Smash in Plush and never reach for the climb switch it's an efficient design.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I always use the climb switch when I can (on non-techy climbs, mostly), but I did a fair amount of climbing with the shock open and it was pretty impressive. I'm eager to check out the plush mode, as I think it'll turn this bike into exactly what I want.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I've never put my shock into lockout

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I placed an order for a Revved 130/150 Pistola this past week. This is going to be a tough wait for delivery... I made this decision based on a 3 day demo of the Smash. The Smash is awesome but the wheelbase was a touch long for the typical riding that I usually do. My end goal was a short travel ripper that can stand up to some real thrashing. So stoked to get this new bike...

Revved Pistola (130/150)
    Fox36 Grip2
    Fox DPX2
    DT Swiss XM1501
    XT 8100 groupset w/ the 4 pot calipers(12 speed that can be shifted under power, yes please!)
    DHF/Aggressor
    Bike Yoke 160 Dropper

So far, the interaction with the guys at GG has been amazing. After I placed the order online I got in touch with them via e-mail and we made a few tweaks to the build kit. I got a prompt response and real feedback about which way to go with the parts, so refreshing! I have no doubt that I made the right decision giving these guys my hard earned money.

mtbr member
    I'm still so stoked on my '17 Pistola. 90% of the time in Plush mode, 10% in Crush mode, and 0% with a lockout. Its just plain RAD turned up to 11. Can't wait to have the duckets lined up for a Revved Pistola.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    How different is the ride from plush to crush? Iíve only rode crush mode.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by n1cholasj View Post
    How different is the ride from plush to crush? Iíve only rode crush mode.
    Flip the chip and try it for a few days. I feel the bike feels different.

mtbr member
    Picked up my Revved Trail Pistol yesterday afternoon, made some adjustments, and took 'er for the first ride this morning before it got too damn hot. Rode about 20 miles, 2500' of climbing. It's going to take a few rides to get the suspension figured out and dialed in, it was definitely too harsh today in "crush" mode so I'll switch that tonight. Otherwise, the bike feels like a slightly quicker-handling Ripmo with less travel. And very similar to the Spot Mayhem I rode last year, which is/was my favorite bike to date.

The bike is a Size 3 Trail Pistola (130mm rear), Ride 1 build with a BikeYoke 185mm dropper and a set of I-9 Enduro 305 wheels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GG-TrailPistol-1.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	371.0 KB 
ID:	1264143
    Have you switched to Plush mode and ridden it that way yet? Very curious about your findings...

mtbr member
    Anyone run a 44mm offset fork? Is the there a considerable difference in the bikes performance or feel?
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckman4 View Post
    Have you switched to Plush mode and ridden it that way yet? Very curious about your findings...

Not yet... my parents are in town so riding opportunities have been limited the last few days. I'll get it back out tomorrow night, and then for four days in Crested Butte this weekend.

mtbr member
    Not yet... my parents are in town so riding opportunities have been limited the last few days. I'll get it back out tomorrow night, and then for four days in Crested Butte this weekend.
    thanks!

BTW Iím planning a trip to Crested Butte in September - canít wait!

mtbr member
    If you see us out there (w/ Chasing Epic), say hi... I'll be there with a big group September 20-23rd.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Deleted

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by EMFC View Post
    Anyone run a 44mm offset fork? Is the there a considerable difference in the bikes performance or feel?
    I had the same question so I shot GG an e-mail. Here is what I got back:

"We've found fork offset to be largely overblown, it's a subtle difference to the turn-in feel but won't magically make you a better bike handler or descender. And a lot of us still like the snappiness you get with the standard offset. That being said, the Trail Pistol is designed around a 51 mm offset.

What you'll notice with the shorter offset is a little more heft to the steering, with a bike that wants to stay in a straight line with more stability, which is already where our bikes shine. The longer offset will offer a quicker turn-in for line corrections."

I also found this Dispatch article they wrote on the topic: https://ridegg.com/thedispatch/The-Offset-of-the-Beast

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    How is the La Pistola 130mm travel achieved? TP shock spec is 210x50, just wondering if I should hold onto my 210x55 CC ILcoil from my current frame... (small chance I know)

Yes, keep your Inline.

Basically, GG frame travel is limited only by tire contact. So, a 210x50 allows the use of a 2.6 tire without frame contact, and a 210x55 is limited to a 2.4 tire because anything larger may contact the seat tube.

However, with coil shocks, you can really easily limit their stroke by installing a 5mm plastic washer with a notch cut out under the bottom out bumper. In this regard the coil is a great versatile option for the Trail Pistol because you can add or remove that spacer depending on the tire you want to run.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Yes, keep your Inline.

Basically, GG frame travel is limited only by tire contact. So, a 210x50 allows the use of a 2.6 tire without frame contact, and a 210x55 is limited to a 2.4 tire because anything larger may contact the seat tube.

However, with coil shocks, you can really easily limit their stroke by installing a 5mm plastic washer with a notch cut out under the bottom out bumper. In this regard the coil is a great versatile option for the Trail Pistol because you can add or remove that spacer depending on the tire you want to run.
    I will admit I have never looked at a coil shock because I thought it was overkill for my riding. I put myself in the class of all mountains and XC.

Are you saying that I can choose the length of the stroke easily on a coil shock? This would allow me to get the rear tire as close to the frame as possible and utilize all my travel.

I'm not suspension guru, but its my understanding that yes, coil shocks are pretty simple when it comes to stroke reductions. In this case, we're not touching the eye-to-eye length, and the we're also not touching the coil length or anything along those lines. You're basically just keeping the shock from reaching its full potential travel (55mm).

I heard through the grapevine that when Push originally started making the 11.6 for the Smash, they actually gave some riders a little bit more travel with their bottom out bumper - some people had to run smaller tires. When compared to the air shock at full bottom out, the 11.6s in this case were seemingly getting another 5mm of travel (145mm total).

So, theoretically you can take 55mm stroke coil shock and work your way down in travel.

Now the DOWNSIDE - your coil, it's preload, compression damping, etc, is all based around getting 55mm of stroke, so you might find that you bottom out 50mm more often. Just as you would if you shortened the stroke with a bottom out bumper by 30mm. The coil is tuned for a given amount of stroke, and when you alter that stroke, you alter the suspension parameters.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yes, keep your Inline.

Ah yeah that makes sense. There is already a spacer in there from CC to reduce it to 55mm. So 55mm stroke will result in 130mm of travel? or would I reduce it to 52.5....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckman4 View Post

Plush mode is certainly the way to go. I've ridden the TP about 5 times since I switched it over, and this bike rocks. I did some big rides in Crested Butte (25 miles, 4,000 feet of climbing at altitude) and this bike crushes it on the climbs and the descents. I have it set up with 130/130 - I think if this were my only bike, I'd extend the Pike to 140mm up front. Hell, I might anyways.

The bike is super playful on the descents, on both flowy and technical terrain. I didn't ride anything overly technical, but the descents on Teocalli and Doctor Park both have some pretty chunky sections, and this bike didn't hold me back. On fast tech, I found the bike to both be playful and handle bigger hits quite well.

I'm building up our Ripleys right now, so I'm hoping to have one ready in the next few days so I can compare it to the TP. I'm curious to see which one I like better.

The one main thing I don't like is the water bottle placement. It's damn tough to get a regular-size bottle out of the front of a standard cage, and side load cages don't do a very good job holding bottles that are upside down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Plush mode is certainly the way to go. I've ridden the TP about 5 times since I switched it over, and this bike rocks. I did some big rides in Crested Butte (25 miles, 4,000 feet of climbing at altitude) and this bike crushes it on the climbs and the descents. I have it set up with 130/130 - I think if this were my only bike, I'd extend the Pike to 140mm up front. Hell, I might anyways.

The bike is super playful on the descents, on both flowy and technical terrain. I didn't ride anything overly technical, but the descents on Teocalli and Doctor Park both have some pretty chunky sections, and this bike didn't hold me back. On fast tech, I found the bike to both be playful and handle bigger hits quite well.

I'm building up our Ripleys right now, so I'm hoping to have one ready in the next few days so I can compare it to the TP. I'm curious to see which one I like better.

The one main thing I don't like is the water bottle placement. It's damn tough to get a regular-size bottle out of the front of a standard cage, and side load cages don't do a very good job holding bottles that are upside down.
    I look forward to hearing your comparison. I am considering both bikes as well and am leaning towards the Pistola.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

anyone try to shove a fidlock in there?

I'm assuming yours is a size 3?

mtbr member
    Yes, size 3.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Yes, size 3.
    While not a perfect solution, you could use a to fish adapter. That would allow you to put a bottle anywhere you want.

TwoFish Quick Cage Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003RLJ8L6..._VzCoDbKMKBAKX

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Yes, size 3.
    Also, this cage has adjustment up and down. You may be able to get a little more space for a larger bottom. I'm able to fit a full-size bottle in my aluminum TP size large frame. The side entry seems key in tight spots.

Zefal Side Mount Bicycle Water Bottle Cage https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BWPKYQ..._4BCoDb37FEQ86

It's more about the horizontal and upside down mounting of a side load cage that makes it less secure.

My worry about the Fidlock bottles is that they are expensive, and my history with water bottles in general is pretty bleak. I can't seem to keep them from leaking. I'd hate to spend $40 on a water bottle only to have it leak after a year.

mtbr member
    It's more about the horizontal and upside down mounting of a side load cage that makes it less secure.
    Is anyone on a Revved GG actually having problems with bottle retention using side loading cages? I don't recall reading about that or seeing that being an issue when riding with folks on the new bikes.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Is anyone on a Revved GG actually having problems with bottle retention using side loading cages? I don't recall reading about that or seeing that being an issue when riding with folks on the new bikes.
    I am, which is why I made the comment above. I use Lezyne side-load cages on all my demo bikes (15 of them), and I've never seen anyone drop a bottle on a ride. On my very first ride on the TP, the bottle fell out on the first rock I hit.

mtbr member
    I am, which is why I made the comment above.
    Sorry I missed that.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I am, which is why I made the comment above. I use Lezyne side-load cages on all my demo bikes (15 of them), and I've never seen anyone drop a bottle on a ride. On my very first ride on the TP, the bottle fell out on the first rock I hit.
    Have you tried the Bontrager Sideswipe? Iíve had very good results with those.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 86cucv View Post
    I had the same question so I shot GG an e-mail. Here is what I got back:

"We've found fork offset to be largely overblown, it's a subtle difference to the turn-in feel but won't magically make you a better bike handler or descender. And a lot of us still like the snappiness you get with the standard offset. That being said, the Trail Pistol is designed around a 51 mm offset.

What you'll notice with the shorter offset is a little more heft to the steering, with a bike that wants to stay in a straight line with more stability, which is already where our bikes shine. The longer offset will offer a quicker turn-in for line corrections."

I also found this Dispatch article they wrote on the topic: https://ridegg.com/thedispatch/The-Offset-of-the-Beast
    FYI, GG only stocks the short offset Ribbon so I had to ask for longer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have used Spcialized Zee cages for quite some time and they work well and would think they would hold well in GG position.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    Have you tried the Bontrager Sideswipe? Iíve had very good results with those.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schril View Post
    I have used Spcialized Zee cages for quite some time and they work well and would think they would hold well in GG position.
    Have you guys tried them upside down? Most side loading cages are completely useless upside down...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gfourth View Post
    Have you guys tried them upside down? Most side loading cages are completely useless upside down...
    I have not, but thy seam to hold the bottle. The poly type are cheap and worth the try?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Lezyne Flow Side Load, works fine hanging from the underside of the top tube, ain't lost a bottle yet.
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I keep hearing about "Pistola". What is the difference between that and a Trail Pistol? Where can I read more about it? Thanks a lot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tantrum007 View Post
    I keep hearing about "Pistola". What is the difference between that and a Trail Pistol? Where can I read more about it? Thanks a lot.
    Pistola is the same as as a Trail Pistol, but with 10mm more rear travel.

That was a quick read.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tantrum007 View Post
    Where can I read more about it? Thanks a lot.
    https://ridegg.com/pistola

The Pistola is also discussed extensively in this very thread...just go back and start reading from the beginning.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Anyone tried the Revved Pistol with the tall cup and 27+?

I'm curious if it makes the BB so low as to be unrideable.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member

FWIW - Size 2 Fabric bottle works no problem. I've used these upside down under the downtube and they are 100% secure. In case you don't find another cage you like. I've had a couple in use for several years now.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

FWIW - Size 2 Fabric bottle works no problem. I've used these upside down under the downtube and they are 100% secure. In case you don't find another cage you like. I've had a couple in use for several years now.
    Whatís the bag?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanTemplar View Post
    Whatís the bag?
    It's the larger WT roll bag.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...d-roll-top-bag
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I look forward to hearing your comparison. I am considering both bikes as well and am leaning towards the Pistola.
    Yeah smmokan whats the word!?

Those are the two bikes im checking out as well. Slightly worried about the RipleyV4 since there is a bit of chit chat about the biking being over whelmed due to the 120mm shock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortsnarb View Post

Those are the two bikes im checking out as well. Slightly worried about the RipleyV4 since there is a bit of chit chat about the biking being over whelmed due to the 120mm shock.
    The Ripley V4 IMHO should be a 130mm rear/140 front. In the past I have swapped out the air spring to a 140mm fork, but the rear was a disappointment in rocky/chunder terrain. I think based on the geo and travel, the Pistola version should be more capable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortsnarb View Post

I've only had a few shorter (12'ish mile) rides on the Ripley so far, so take this as "first impression" and definitely not a full-on review. For comparison's sake the bikes are spec'ed very similarly- GX level builds- with the suspension being the big difference. The Trail Pistol has 130mm of travel, so it's formally a "pistola".

The Ripley feels like a better climber overall, but I do like the Trail Pistol on techier stuff as it seems a little more forgiving. This may just be the way I have the rear shock set up, and it might be remedied over time. The minute I sat on the Ripley, I immediately felt like it was a rocket. I'd consider the TP "efficient" in the climbing department, maybe somewhere between the Ripley and Ripmo.

The Trail Pistol is a smoother, more plush ride on the descents. The Ripley is more playful, and does just fine on technical descents (like the Hall Ranch rock garden in Lyons), but has less margin for error. The Ripley is noticeably lighter than the TP. I don't have a scale so I don't know exact numbers, but you can feel the difference quite easily when handling both.

Overall, I think it's a pretty standard case of give and take and finding a balance of what you're looking for specifically. With the Ripley, you're favoring the climbing/pedaling side of your ride. With the Trail Pistola, you're getting more on the descending side of things. Of course, this is really nitpicking as both bikes are absolutely incredible and I don't think you can go wrong with either as a one-bike quiver.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    @smmokan: good overall comparison. My buddy is an endurance racer, he was looking at these two bikes as well as 27.5, he wanted a playful bike that could handle chunk, but was still efficient. Heís super strong, rides an SS bike forty five miles commuting daily. He chose the TP for a more balanced bike; he could care less about weight cuz heís s beast 🙄

Anyone know if the Revved TP comes set up with low or tall lower headset cup?

Anyone tried running the TP in 27+? Got any B.B. heights in 27+ mode with the tall lower cup?
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Just recently purchased a 17 Trail Piston and having trouble finding rear brake mount for fit my Hope x2 rear brake I am running the boostinator anyone running same setup? I tried hopes website and believe the page I need is unavailable. Any help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Gobike200; 08-05-2019 at 04:18 AM.

Revved Trail Pistol comes with a short lower cup, that's it.

Actually that reminds me, I never tried testing fitting my B+ setup in my Pistol. Maybe I'll do that this week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've only had a few shorter (12'ish mile) rides on the Ripley so far, so take this as "first impression" and definitely not a full-on review. For comparison's sake the bikes are spec'ed very similarly- GX level builds- with the suspension being the big difference. The Trail Pistol has 130mm of travel, so it's formally a "pistola".

The Ripley feels like a better climber overall, but I do like the Trail Pistol on techier stuff as it seems a little more forgiving. This may just be the way I have the rear shock set up, and it might be remedied over time. The minute I sat on the Ripley, I immediately felt like it was a rocket. I'd consider the TP "efficient" in the climbing department, maybe somewhere between the Ripley and Ripmo.

The Trail Pistol is a smoother, more plush ride on the descents. The Ripley is more playful, and does just fine on technical descents (like the Hall Ranch rock garden in Lyons), but has less margin for error. The Ripley is noticeably lighter than the TP. I don't have a scale so I don't know exact numbers, but you can feel the difference quite easily when handling both.

Overall, I think it's a pretty standard case of give and take and finding a balance of what you're looking for specifically. With the Ripley, you're favoring the climbing/pedaling side of your ride. With the Trail Pistola, you're getting more on the descending side of things. Of course, this is really nitpicking as both bikes are absolutely incredible and I don't think you can go wrong with either as a one-bike quiver.
    Awesome, Thanks for postin up the review.

I went ahead and ordered the Rev Trail Pistola Size 3.. 8 week out!

Now i just need to figure out if i want a 140 or 150 fork and which one!! going with the DPX2 for the rear shock.. Ill be swapping out most of the parts from my Yeti SB5.5. Pretty excited!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Just ordered a Pistola with a Pike 150mm, fork, Super Deluxe Ultimate shock with Shimano XT 1x12. Look forward to riding, testing and giving a review.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm contemplating a lightweight Trail Pistol build, the kind of bike you might ride on an epic, a multi day ride, maybe even the BC Bike Race (bucket list).

I'm thinking I'll buy as much carbon as I can afford (Cockpit, wheels, cranks), Fox SC 34 120mm fork + tall lower cup, Float DPS shock, XT 12sp drivetrain, 29 x 2.6 tires.

Anyone have a similar build? I'm curious how it'll ride with the short travel fork and taller cup, which makes it similar to a 130mm travel fork. Anyone have a weight for their lightweight build?

and yeah, there are lighter frames, but I like GG, and I think it'll be a nice compliment to my full coil Shred
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Short-Change-Hero
    Little impressions from the SMASH side...
    Ride 2 build on Size 3 with upgrade of SD Coil and Lyrik 160 42mm offset

Short vs. Long offset...
    Originally started with the Yari in 51mm offset and purchased a Lyrik from Ben here on the forums. The Lyrik is 42mm offset and the first few rides it seemed a bit "different" but like GG said, the whole concept seems to be getting a bit overblown with things. I did not notice a huge difference in steering response or feel, maybe slightly faster but moving to a shorter stem made more a difference in steering than the offset did. Bike still tracks great, plenty of margin for line correction but feels snappy and quick, not twitchy.

Party Mode vs. Climb Mode...
    Did this once just to see how active/inactive the SD Coil would be and really never felt the need to drop into climb mode. Made the one time during the Epic Rides Carson Offroad where a kid and I were sprinting on pavement for the finish line, then I probably should have dropped to climb mode. But other than that, the bike incredibly efficient pedaler for all intents and purposes so I have just set to Party Mode and left it there.

Crush vs. Plush...
    For me I haven't really played with this. Been running in Plush mode the entire time as I have a decent amount of chunk in my normal ride, no buff long flowing singletrack for me. No issues with climbing and pedal bob in plush regardless of standing and mashing or seated spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I'm contemplating a lightweight Trail Pistol build, the kind of bike you might ride on an epic, a multi day ride, maybe even the BC Bike Race (bucket list).

I'm thinking I'll buy as much carbon as I can afford (Cockpit, wheels, cranks), Fox SC 34 120mm fork + tall lower cup, Float DPS shock, XT 12sp drivetrain, 29 x 2.6 tires.

Anyone have a similar build? I'm curious how it'll ride with the short travel fork and taller cup, which makes it similar to a 130mm travel fork. Anyone have a weight for their lightweight build?
    There is a guy on the Facebook group who has a full-carbon build with a Ribbon SL and Rekon 2.6s and he's around 27lbs. He also owns an alloy Smash and said that the lightweight short travel Trail Pistol would have no issues keeping up with his Smash on all but the most gnarly terrain.

That's a good idea combining the Fox 34 SC with the tall lower cup.

mtbr member
    Im 5'11'' 32 inseam it says go large...the reach looks huge compared to my gen 3 Ripley
    2017 Surly Ogre

Don't worry about the reach, worry about the ETT. The ETT dictates "saddle to stem" length. Reach is just a number representing how much of the bike is front of the BB.

You can shorten reach while maintaining effective top tube length by adjusting the angle of the seat tube.

Yes, you want a Size 3 (or a Large).

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If anyone has a trail pistol, and realized he wants a Smash, let me know I'm already thinking of doing that for next season (I broke my foot so I'm manipulating bikes to keep me busy ). I want to get more into long distance XC-ish events.

I would also consider full packages fork/shock/seatstays (I have a Fox 36 44mm offset and RS Deluxe RT3 tuned) but I'd like to try the new RC2 pike, so that limits the options.
    French line enthusiast and expat in Denver

Size 3 revved GG The Smash FS

I Like bikes, I really do

mtbr member
    Did GG do away with aluminum bikes? I really want a TP but they are a tad out of my price range.
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Did GG do away with aluminum bikes? I really want a TP but they are a tad out of my price range.
    Yeah, its all Revved Carbon now. I think the carbon only added about $300 ish to the price.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierp View Post
    If anyone has a trail pistol, and realized he wants a Smash, let me know I'm already thinking of doing that for next season (I broke my foot so I'm manipulating bikes to keep me busy ). I want to get more into long distance XC-ish events.

I would also consider full packages fork/shock/seatstays (I have a Fox 36 44mm offset and RS Deluxe RT3 tuned) but I'd like to try the new RC2 pike, so that limits the options.
    I would be interested in that if we're talking Revved bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I would be interested in that if we're talking Revved bikes.
    PM'ing you
    French line enthusiast and expat in Denver

Size 3 revved GG The Smash FS

I Like bikes, I really do

mtbr member

Just to follow up to this post now that I've got more rides on the Ripley to compare:

- My overall thought on the Trail Pistola remains the same: amazing bike. For where I ride (Colorado Front Range mostly, but also all over the west and into Brevard, NC) it's the perfect 1-bike quiver. The bike climbs well, and handles just about anything you can throw at it on the descents. I'm one to use the compression lever for long climbs, and the switch on the RS Deluxe is great- just enough firmness to feel a difference. In PLUSH mode, the bike is super forgiving on descents and is still quite playful. I had the bike setup as 130/130, but looking back I'd definitely put a 140mm fork on it.

- The Ripley is a super playful bike, but lacks noticeably on the descents with the shorter travel. I can still have lots of fun on techy and steep descents, but it's a different riding experience- there's no "plowing" involved, you have to pick your lines more carefully. On the climbs, I'd say the Ripley is 5-10% more efficient... but that's arbitrary and based solely on some big 3500-4000 foot days I did in Crested Butte on both bikes. That said, I think the Ripley is more of a quiver bike, which would be paired perfectly with a longer travel bike for the rowdy stuff.

mtbr member
    Just to follow up to this post now that I've got more rides on the Ripley to compare:

- My overall thought on the Trail Pistola remains the same: amazing bike. For where I ride (Colorado Front Range mostly, but also all over the west and into Brevard, NC) it's the perfect 1-bike quiver....

...That said, I think the Ripley is more of a quiver bike, which would be paired perfectly with a longer travel bike for the rowdy stuff.
    But the real question: if you could only have one bike: TP, Ripmo, or Strive? Or would you still choose the Spot Mayhem...remember: only one bike!

mtbr member
    Only one bike, I'd pick a 140 Trail Pistola. Mostly because I like to ride just about everything, and would need/want a bike that can handle big high country rides along with the techy stuff here and out east.

The Spot Mayhem is a very close second, but we've since parted ways.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019

New Bike Day!!!! (Pistola)

I picked up my revved Pistola on Saturday and took it up Kenosha/Georgia passes on Sunday.

This. Thing. Rips!!!!!!!

Build:
    Revved Size 2 Pistola (130mm)
    150mm Fox 36 Performance Elite Grip2
    Fox DPX2
    DT Swiss XM1501 Wheels w/ 240 hubs
    Shimano XT 12 Speed Drivetrain
    Ethirteen TRS Cranks
    Shimano XT 4 Pot Brakes
    Bike Yoke 160mm Dropper
    Race Face Next R Bars
    DHF 2.5 F/Agressor 2.3 R

First Impressions: I demo'd a Smash and a Trail Pistol and while I loved both of those bikes, neither felt like a perfect fit. The Smash loved going down but I felt like I really had to muscle the bike up over technical moves with its long wheelbase. It climbed well otherwise. The Pistol demo was a move in the right direction for techy chunk but I felt like it needed a little more travel front and rear. The Pistola seems to have struck a great balance between the two bikes.

The ride on Sunday was ~3,500' of climbing over 23.6 miles with a peak of 10,800'. Plenty of saddle time to get to know a bike I'm coming from a newer Niner Jet9 RDO and the Pistola is every bit as quick up the climbs. What blew me away was when you point the bike downhill. It wants to go way faster than I was expecting. I was grinning from ear to ear like a complete idiot; good times were had. When it came to the woods and navigating through trees on a flowy section, the bike plowed over rocks/roots and carved turns with ease. I haven't had to do many tight switchbacks yet, but I've always sucked at those anyway.

I'm heading down to Bentonville next weekend for the OZ Trails 50 miler to see how it does on a longer distance ride. I can't wait!

https://imgur.com/a/IL6HzpA

mtbr member
    The Pistola seems to have struck a great balance between the two bikes.
    Yup! That sums it for me right there! The Pistola lets me race around as a coach with the NICA team, go on backcountry epics, and still rip most of the bike park trails. Saving for Revved my Revved Pistola now.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF!

G_T
    mtbr member

First Impressions: I demo'd a Smash and a Trail Pistol and while I loved both of those bikes, neither felt like a perfect fit. The Smash loved going down but I felt like I really had to muscle the bike up over technical moves with its long wheelbase. It climbed well otherwise. The Pistol demo was a move in the right direction for techy chunk but I felt like it needed a little more travel front and rear. The Pistola seems to have struck a great balance between the two bikes.
    Great feedback. I've got a Smash (size 4) ordered and have considering changing to a Pistola. The climbing ability of the Smash is something that seems to be very subjective depending on the rider, and I'm wondering how much of it comes down to rider weight/size. Hard to know since we don't have any size 4 feedback.

Congrats on the bike, sounds fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    But the real question: if you could only have one bike: TP, Ripmo, or Strive? Or would you still choose the Spot Mayhem...remember: only one bike!
    Shred Dogg

I'm also building up a Pistola.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Shred Dogg

I'm also building up a Pistola.
    I owned a Mayhem and the bike feels amazing at first but over time I started to not like it because it feels so harsh, that leaf spring is no joke. I just purchased a T429 and so far I really like it. If you can throw a leg over one and give it a spin.
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Anyone running a Revved Pistola with 150mm fork? How is it vs a 130-140mm fork? Any reason not to do this?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by renobeguh View Post
    Anyone running a Revved Pistola with 150mm fork? How is it vs a 130-140mm fork? Any reason not to do this?
    I haven't ridden one yet, ordered mine with a 140 mm fork and am going to immediately change the air spring to a 150 mm. Will give a review asap, bike is scheduled to be arrive asap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by renobeguh View Post
    Im going to run my pistola with a 150 DVO DIAMOND!! I GET THE FRAME TOMORROW!!! WOOHOOO lol. took 11 weeks :'( I will also post how it works out. I asked GG about it and they said they run a lot of their pistolas with a 150mm fork and like it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    The Strive is a gimmick bike, I don't think that's a good way to go ... unless you see other mfgs going that way. Proof is in the longevity of an idea.

I didn't like the Ripmo as much as I'd hoped, rides tall, doesn't feel agile, decent climber, not as good a descender as a GG bike.

The TP is a nice little brother to the Smash, Revved frame are stiffer whcih will help the TP because the aluminum version was flexy. TP has a shorter wheelbase/CS, so it'll be more agile. As a Pistola, the TP is 130mm travel and is compatible with a 140-150mm fork, shortish chainstays, flip cup headset, two chock mount settings, two travel options, and can be converted to a number of longer travel/different wheel size set up, so it really is the most versatile of the bunch.

Which is why I'm building one

Once my TPistola is done, I'll probably rebuild the SD as an MT, btu not for sure, still loving my SD quite a bit so I'd only do it for stability and big hits. I'm getting older, so my big hits are getting smaller.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    I owned a Mayhem and the bike feels amazing at first but over time I started to not like it because it feels so harsh, that leaf spring is no joke. I just purchased a T429 and so far I really like it. If you can throw a leg over one and give it a spin.
    I tried one out, the size large felt short, I'm sure it's a fine bike cuz it's a Pivot.

The bike I really liked was the Elkat 27.5, very supple and smooth, uses Weagle's Orion suspension design.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    frankly - keen to hear your perspective on that Elkat... especially as rumor of a 29er is out there

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Liked it, really nice ride, best Weagle suspension yet, the Bike Mag bible review is spot on.

I asked the owner about longer travel 27.5 and he said they are focused on getting a 29er out.

If you like DW, the Elkat is the catís meow.

Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    frankly - keen to hear your perspective on that Elkat... especially as rumor of a 29er is out there
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

If you like DW, the Elkat is the catís meow.
    Couldnt' resist that one, could ya?

mtbr member
    The Strive is a gimmick bike, I don't think that's a good way to go ... unless you see other mfgs going that way. Proof is in the longevity of an idea.
    Have you ridden one? Because it's just as good as any other long-travel 29'er I've ridden, and the Shape Shifter technology actually works this time. I've been riding one since March, and I've had no issues with it.

That said, I've got a Trail Pistola on order too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Received the Trail Pistola 130/150mm yesterday. Very impressed on the quality of the frame construction. Will give a ride report after 6 rides.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Dear owners of Alu TP,

I know that Alu version of Megatrail and Shred Dog are same. The difference is in shock length. Is TP and Smash have the same difference? Is it possible to get a Smash via 230 x 57.5mm shock in TP?

Thanks
    Last edited by q232; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by q232 View Post
    Dear owners of Alu TP,

I owner that Alu version of Megatrail and Shred Dog are same. The difference is in shock length. Is TP and Smash have the same dirrence? Is it possible to get a Smash via 230 x 57.5mm shock in TP?

Thanks
    No in the metal frames the TP is unique. The Smash/Shred Dog and MT in metal are the same front triangle.

You can put a longer stroke shock on a metal TP to get a 130mm travel Pistola though. That'll ride more Smash-like.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Good choice.

Have you ridden one? Because it's just as good as any other long-travel 29'er I've ridden, and the Shape Shifter technology actually works this time. I've been riding one since March, and I've had no issues with it.

That said, I've got a Trail Pistola on order too.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Have ridden the Pistola enough to give honest feedback. First off, i am coming off a Ripmo with the only build difference between the two bikes is the drive train, the new bike has XT 1x12. Other than a bit less travel, the Pistola is every bit capable climbing and feels like I can push the envelope a bit more descending. Bike is set to Crush mode.
    With a shorter rear it took a bit to adjust, you can stay more centered vs. the Ripmo I had to shift back. This also may be due to the slacker head angle.

Only negative, albeit a little one, is the cover for the cables. This is not well thought out and silly. Also, having to work out the chainline, it is so severe the chain falls off the lowest gears when placing the pedals getting onto the bike. This in part may be due to the fact I forgot to upgrade to a Shimano chain.

Happy Thanksgiving.

I like goin' fast
    Also, having to work out the chainline, it is so severe the chain falls off the lowest gears when placing the pedals getting onto the bike. This in part may be due to the fact I forgot to upgrade to a Shimano chain.
    Try loosening your b-adjustment a quarter turn to bring the upper wheel a hair closer to the cogs. Sometimes when you're sagged in, it'll change the distance between the pulley and the cogs.

As far as chainline goes, the cassette and crank are both offset by 3 mm so everything sets up as designed by Shimano/SRAM with the 55 mm chainline. If you run a narrower chainline, like a standard boost 52 mm, this can help with keeping the chain on the biggest cog while backpedaling.
    Guerrilla Gravity
    Mountain bikes made for goin' fast. Handbuilt in Colorado.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrilla Gravity View Post
    Try loosening your b-adjustment a quarter turn to bring the upper wheel a hair closer to the cogs. Sometimes when you're sagged in, it'll change the distance between the pulley and the cogs.

Tried less and more, neither worked. Was told the chain is cut to 119 links, was actually cut at 116 links (including quick-link) which was too short in the highest gear.

As far as chainline goes, the cassette and crank are both offset by 3 mm so everything sets up as designed by Shimano/SRAM with the 55 mm chainline. If you run a narrower chainline, like a standard boost 52 mm, this can help with keeping the chain on the biggest cog while backpedaling.
    When in the lowest gear, the chainline is too severe. If the single bb spacer is removed, it has to be installed on the non-drive side otherwise the preload cannot be properly set. With 2 spacers installed on the non-drive side, the crank is too offset. I am wondering if a part of the problem is the KMC chain? Ordered a Shimano to try, but any other suggestions would be great.

I like goin' fast
    When in the lowest gear, the chainline is too severe. . . I am wondering if a part of the problem is the KMC chain? Ordered a Shimano to try, but any other suggestions would be great.
    The extreme chainlines are a part of life with these wide range 12 speed cassettes. Our offset moves the cassette and chainring outboard together, maintaining the ideal chainline between the ring and cassette that SRAM and Shimano design for. We don't normally recommend changing BB spacers from one side to another.

Most of the time, even when the low limit and b-adjust is perfect, you can only get 1/2 to 1 full revolution backwards before the chain falls down to smaller cogs. In terms of chain retention while back-pedaling, you should not see a change with the Shimano chain in our experience.
    Guerrilla Gravity
    Mountain bikes made for goin' fast. Handbuilt in Colorado.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    When in the lowest gear, the chainline is too severe. If the single bb spacer is removed, it has to be installed on the non-drive side otherwise the preload cannot be properly set. With 2 spacers installed on the non-drive side, the crank is too offset. I am wondering if a part of the problem is the KMC chain? Ordered a Shimano to try, but any other suggestions would be great.
    Part of the extreme chain line is the shorter chaninstays, BUT, my Shred has even shorter chainstays and I have no issues with chain retention or backpedaling in all gears.

I'm a fan of Shimano XT 12sp, can't say the same for SRAM Eagle
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The extreme chainlines are a part of life with these wide range 12 speed cassettes. Our offset moves the cassette and chainring outboard together, maintaining the ideal chainline between the ring and cassette that SRAM and Shimano design for. We don't normally recommend changing BB spacers from one side to another.

Most of the time, even when the low limit and b-adjust is perfect, you can only get 1/2 to 1 full revolution backwards before the chain falls down to smaller cogs. In terms of chain retention while back-pedaling, you should not see a change with the Shimano chain in our experience.
    To be more specific and better explain, I am not necessarily back pedaling just trying to move the pedals into the correct position when re-mounting onto the bike. Once I get the Shimano chain on, will re-post the results. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    To be more specific and better explain, I am not necessarily back pedaling just trying to move the pedals into the correct position when re-mounting onto the bike. Once I get the Shimano chain on, will re-post the results. Thanks for the info.
    It's the geometry of the drivetrain that's causing the issue. The GX Eagle on my Smash has been perfect for 2 seasons, but I've had the issue you describe with other short CS wide gear range bikes. My solution was to shift the chainring slightly inboard to improve the chainline in the bigger cogs. There are a variety of chainrings available with different offsets and a lot of them can be flipped so you can really fine tune the chainline. Personally I'd rather optimize the chain in the bigger cogs than the middle of the cassette because our trails are [relatively] slow and techy.

I'd give GG's advice a try first though since it's free. They setup my GX Eagle perfectly out of the box and I haven't adjusted it yet. My Smash is the older version with CS approximately the same as the new Revved TP.

Good luck. I know how frustrating drivetrain issues are. I love a bike I don't have to think about when riding.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Pinkbike review is generating a fair amount of discussion, and strangely enough itís kinda peaceful like.

Good to see GG getting some FaceTime with the PB plebes, that should help in the long run; in the short run they may need another FrameMaker 🙄
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    ...strangely enough itís kinda peaceful like.
    I agree. I thought it was a damn good review even if I wished it was a Pistola in the next category up. Yes, it is a heavier frame than a Trek Fuel. Oh well, still good review and they agree geometry is spot on.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

installed the Shimano chain and viola', does not fall off and shifting is noticeable smoother!

mtbr member
    installed the Shimano chain and viola', does not fall off and shifting is noticeable smoother!
    I'm glad you got it sorted out.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

brakes; sometimes fixed
    Apr 2005
    FWIW, Iíve got about 200 miles on my TP with 12sp XT and the KMC chain and chain retention on backpedal has been as good or better than Eagle.

I did note that GG broke my KMC chain at a different length than what was recommended in Shimanoís 12sp tech doc. Maybe that could be a factor?

Been off the bike for a year from an injury and just getting back on the bike. I have one of the last XL aluminum framed Trail Pistols. I have a Sramano drivetrain that I wanted to try to go all Shimano 12 speed with the exception of my RF Next cranks and Wolftooth chainring. Has anyone tried the new Shimano 12 speed drivetrain on the aluminum versions? I was going t try the 10-51 cassette and was concerned about chainline. I really dislike chain drop when back pedaling, has anyone found this to be an issue?

Thanks!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345