Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Dudette

Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg

I think it's time the Shred Dogg had its own thread instead of riding on the shirttails of its big brother, the MegaTrail. While they share the same frame, they're two distinct animals - from what I've both read and been told.

I first learned about Guerrilla Gravity when I spied a gorgeous RADiation green bike with red accents at one of my favorite local riding spots a couple of years ago. I asked its owner about the bike as I had never head of them before - probably natural since I live in the east and GG is from Denver and was pretty new at that time. The guy I talked to had the first version of the MT and was eager to tell me about it. As I only had my last bike about three years, I wasn't in the market for a new bike, but I remembered the impression it made.

Fast forward to this year when I decided it was time to up my game and update my ride. I knew I wanted something playful with more travel than my Trance 29er. I knew I wanted a more modern geometry with a slacker HTA for downhills. As most of my riding is considered trail/xc, the bike had to be able to climb well and handle the slow, tight and twisty tech we have in the east. But I also wanted to be able to go a bit bigger and have been slowly working on drops and jumping. I began to assemble a long list of possibilities, but for various reasons, they got crossed off my list. Being 5'4" also didn't help a whole lot and for me, standover is important.

About the same time I was looking, so was my friend Stripes (we met through the women's lounge on here). She had recently relocated to the Denver area and asked if I had heard of Guerrilla Gravity. The name rang a bell...and I checked out their website and discovered the MegaTrail SS (now Shred Dogg). I'll admit, I got pretty excited - it seemed to tick off every box I had on my list of requirements: made in the US, aluminum (not a carbon hater, just not for me), threaded bb, variable geometry (what??) and ability to customize it pretty much any way I wanted. Oh, and by changing out the rear shock, I would have a MegaTrail should I decide to go bigger someday. AND it came in an XS. I was lucky - Stripes is the same height/inseam as me, so she was able to demo and give me feedback. We're pretty much at the same level skills-wise, too, so I depended a lot on her thoughts and feedback. She bought one and after a couple of months, I put in my order.

Frame: XS GG Shred Dogg - RADiation
    Fork: RS Lyrik, 160mm
    Shock: RS Super Deluxe RC3
    Cockpit: Race Face
    Seatpost: KS Lev Integra
    Brakeset: Shimano XT M8000
    Drivetrain: Shimano XT M8000 9-46 Cassette
    Crankset: Race Face Atlas 165mm, 28T
    Chainguide: MRP
    Wheelset: Stan's Flows MK3 i29
    Front Tire: Maxxis DHF, 2.6
    Rear Tire: Maxxis Rekon, 2.6

So, I'll readily admit that being able to describe or understand the technical nuances of suspension is not my forte. I'm still working on really understanding all the terms and how the adjustments affect how the bike feels and handles. But here are my thoughts in the month of so that I have owned the bike:

It can climb - VERY well. I honestly expected it not to climb as well as my 29er. I figured with the longer suspension, slacker HTA, smaller diameter wheels and heavier frame it'd probably be slower. But to my surprise, I have not found this to be the case at all. I have 9-46 Shimano XT cassette paired with a 28T chainring and 165mm cranks, but I find that I rarely need the 46T to make most of my climbs and frequently am in the third largest cog at most for a number of the climbs I do. I have not appreciated bobbing and have not locked out the shock. I have found that I can climb very comfortably out of the saddle and it just feels natural, without having to exaggerate getting over the front of the bars or feeling like the front wheel wants to lift. I feel centered and almost never spin the rear tire out. The bike just feels very responsive and I've surprised myself by making climbs and getting past areas in the past I usually lost momentum and spun out on. My friends noticed a difference, too. I'm NOT a climber. I'm slow and steady and more about just getting to the top. But (and it's definitely not just new bike stoke) now I'm finding climbing a lot easier.

Slow technical stuff? SWEET! This is where having an inch shorter chainstay, smaller wheels with a slightly wider footprint probably come into play - cuz I know it's not mad skills on my part. The bike is sure-footed and confident. And in turn, MY confidence has increased.

As far as descending, I haven't really taken the bike down anything chunky or technical or very steep yet. Also, I've only ridden it in trail mode. I have a feeling gravity mode may wait until next spring - gosh I'm really hoping for a mild winter.

But playful - playful it is. I find myself actively seeking out anything to try to pop off of and am pretty easily rewarded (and my technique still needs a lot of work, so that's saying a lot). It's about four pounds or so heavier than my last bike, but I haven't noticed it except when I am lifting into my car. I know I haven't even begun to tap into this bike's capabilities, but I'm eager to keep working on it.

I've found GG easy to work with and they're always quick to respond to communications. I've never actually talked directly to the company that built my bike before. Allison was warm and patient and answered a lot of questions for me during the whole process. I'm very happy with the choice I made. Now I'm just looking forward to getting more miles and trails in. Name:  Airborne!.jpg
Views: 3814
Size:  99.4 KB
    Last edited by petey15; 11-01-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, RideGG, Cycle-CNY

always licking the glass
    Yeah for me, the Megatrail checked off all the boxes, but I wanted less travel, but still really aggressive. And I wanted something to jump and could take the abuse that so many other trail bikes just aren't designed for.

What amazes me is how forgiving the bike can be, in both trail and gravity mode, that I feel fine riding it either mode, even though I prefer gravity mode for the most part. But for long climbs to just overall technical riding (up/down/up/down/up), the trail mode is just perfect.

I rode both the Megatrail and the Shred Dogg, but I keep coming back to the Shred Dogg. Both bikes are good, and both break the mold.

For my riding, I really like the Shred Dogg.. but I'm looking forward to trying it with the 11-6. I haven't been really happy with the rear shock (tried both RS offerings). I'll post some build pics after I get the new shock installed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I loved the Shred Dogg. I got to demo it on Monarch Crest and a few places on the front range. I enjoyed the ability to change the geometry during the ride, and make the most of the downhills with the lower bottom bracket and longer rear travel. Great ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    For you guys with both full strength Mega and SD shock setups, which do you prefer, SD in gravity, or full mega in trail mode? Geo ends up being pretty similar that way.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    For you guys with both full strength Mega and SD shock setups, which do you prefer, SD in gravity, or full mega in trail mode? Geo ends up being pretty similar that way.
    So remember, I'm on an XS frame, so YMMV.

For me, I really like the SD in gravity over the full strength in trail mode. I never found the full strength in trail mode felt really optimal for me--almost a bit tall and kinda awkward.. I'm surprised at how well the SD pedals in gravity mode, even though not as good as trail mode.

So after tinkering with it for a while, I ended up trying both the Megatrail and the SD with an works -1 headset (after asking GG if this was ok). I found that the bike felt really good as an SD in both trail and gravity mode with it. I did also try it with the Megatrail that way too, but it's not what I'm looking for in a bike as I wanted something much more responsive and playful.

Does that help at all or make things as clear as mud?

always licking the glass
    My build:
    - XS raw Shred Dogg
    - Fork: 160mm Lyrik (no tokens)
    - Shock: 11-6
    - Brakes: Saint
    - Shifters/Cassette: XT 11 speed (11-46)
    - Rear Derailler: XTR 11 speed
    - Cranks: Atlas 165mm
    - 28t Wooftooth chainring
    - wheels mfg angular BB
    - Wheels: Hadley hubs/CXray Spokes/Derby rims
    - KS Lev 125mm Seatpost with 1x RF lever
    - Selle Itaiia Womens' saddle
    - Straitline 50mm stem
    - SMAC handlebar
    - Oury grips
    - Tires: DHF 2.5 WT front, WTB 2.5 Breakout rear
    - Pedals: Straitline de Factos (for now while I figure out what doesn't hurt my feet)

Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg-img-5888.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    So remember, I'm on an XS frame, so YMMV.

For me, I really like the SD in gravity over the full strength in trail mode. I never found the full strength in trail mode felt really optimal for me--almost a bit tall and kinda awkward.. I'm surprised at how well the SD pedals in gravity mode, even though not as good as trail mode.

So after tinkering with it for a while, I ended up trying both the Megatrail and the SD with an works -1 headset (after asking GG if this was ok). I found that the bike felt really good as an SD in both trail and gravity mode with it. I did also try it with the Megatrail that way too, but it's not what I'm looking for in a bike as I wanted something much more responsive and playful.

Does that help at all or make things as clear as mud?
    Thanks Stripes. I've seen you echo similar thoughts before, so this just confirmed for me the SD gravity is the way to go. I'm thinking order as a SD with the super deluxe air for the trail bike setup, and then down the line get the coil to run full mega mode.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    Thanks Stripes. I've seen you echo similar thoughts before, so this just confirmed for me the SD gravity is the way to go. I'm thinking order as a SD with the super deluxe air for the trail bike setup, and then down the line get the coil to run full mega mode.
    As much as I went back and forth with the bike, I much prefer the SD Gravity over the MT trail. The MT trail felt too tall for me with the 170mm fork, and just kinda twitchy with the 160mm fork. I actually prefer the SD trail over the MT trail feeling. The MT gravity though has almost the same geo as the 2014 Demo 8 I had (the Demo 8 had a 1/2 degree slacker HA and about 30mm more travel though ), but for me i was overkill.

If you're looking to buy a lightly used SD coil for the full strength MT, lemme know. I'm going to sell my SD coil for it since I have an 11-6 for the Shred Dogg now.

No poop on the trail.
    Apr 2016
    Are the posted weights for the various builds accurate? Seems pretty light for an aluminium bike with 150mm+ travel. The Shred Dogg is on my short list of bikes. I will ultimately demo one here in town.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichno View Post
    Are the posted weights for the various builds accurate? Seems pretty light for an aluminium bike with 150mm+ travel. The Shred Dogg is on my short list of bikes. I will ultimately demo one here in town.
    I think it depends on how you build it. If you go with lighter components and not ride on coil, you could get it reasonable. Mine doesn't count because I ride full coil and heavy components.

My Ibis HD3 was just a hair over 30 lbs when I had it. But that was build much lighter like XTR brakes, Float X air shock, etc.
    I had my Shred Dogg around 31ish lbs with an SD air in the rear, Lyrik front, carbon wheels, and an XTR drivetrain.

BUT--I don't run carbon cranks (too many rocks to bash in), I run relatively heavy pedals, heavy bars, a dropper post, Saint brakes, 900g tires, and a relatively heavy saddle.

My current build is a 32+ lbs AFAIK.. I don't spend a lot of time weighing my bike just riding it

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Anyone know if there would be any geometry differences between the smash and SD? Assuming you build both up 27.5

Im thinking I'd prefer being able to change between crush and plush than trail and gravity and am trying to see if there are any other differences between the two.

Eagerly looking to pull the trigger early next year.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by croakies View Post
    Anyone know if there would be any geometry differences between the smash and SD? Assuming you build both up 27.5

Im thinking I'd prefer being able to change between crush and plush than trail and gravity and am trying to see if there are any other differences between the two.

Eagerly looking to pull the trigger early next year.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    Uh, instead of building up a Smash with 27.5, why not just get a Megatrail?

I don't think that the Smash is really designed around 27.5.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post

The Smash is the 29er Megatrail AFAIK. You can run 650 with the shred dogg or megatrail. The trail pistol and pedalhead are 29er or 650+ only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Hadley hubs for sale

battle stag commander
    Anyone riding a GG have prior experience on a yeti? looking at the sb5 and the shred dogg. Two very different price points, two short travel frames that I can put an elevensix on. Love the idea of putting a custom valved coil on a mid travel do-it-all bike with a 160mm fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Because I'd rather have the ability of changing leverage ratio without changing travel (crush/plush) which you get on the smash, over the ability to change travel/geo (trail/gravity mode).

The main thing that changes when switching from 29 to 27.5 is a lower bottom bracket, a little under ~2cm.

From the Geo chart -

Smash w/ 140mm fork BB height is 345 mm
    Shred w/ 150mm fork height is 329mm (in gravity mode)
    Take 20mm from Smash and you get 325mm, which is pretty close to Shred Dog.

Hadn't thought about the fork though, You also lose ~2cm of axle to crown on a 27.5 fork so would have to run at 160mm travel to compensate somewhat.

So it seems BB on Smash w/ 27.5 will still be lower than shred dogg. May not be such a good idea after all.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by croakies View Post
    Because I'd rather have the ability of changing leverage ratio without changing travel (crush/plush) which you get on the smash, over the ability to change travel/geo (trail/gravity mode).

The main thing that changes when switching from 29 to 27.5 is a lower bottom bracket, a little under ~2cm.

From the Geo chart -

Smash w/ 140mm fork BB height is 345 mm
    Shred w/ 150mm fork height is 329mm (in gravity mode)
    Take 20mm from Smash and you get 325mm, which is pretty close to Shred Dog.

Hadn't thought about the fork though, You also lose ~2cm of axle to crown on a 27.5 fork so would have to run at 160mm travel to compensate somewhat.

So it seems BB on Smash w/ 27.5 will still be lower than shred dogg. May not be such a good idea after all.
    The Smash is 29er specific. The Megatrail and Shred Dogg are 650B. All the other bikes are 29er or 650B+.

The reason I got the Shred Dogg instead of the Trail Pistol is because I prefer 650B wheels.

The Smash will 650B would make the bike too low AFAIK.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Megatrail can be MT or SD, with two Geo settings which is cool...BUT ALSO can take 29er wheels and fork, with two geo /travel settings, thus being basically a bit of a Pistola and Smash, right?

Pretty dope out of one frame, IMHO.

I think a MT frame with a SD shock and a set of 29er wheels and fork would be fun to play with, especially against the clock on a known trail.
    "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

Real Estate Professionals llc.
    realestate-professionals.com

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by kmj831 View Post
    Megatrail can be MT or SD, with two Geo settings which is cool...BUT ALSO can take 29er wheels and fork, with two geo /travel settings, thus being basically a bit of a Pistola and Smash, right?

Pretty dope out of one frame, IMHO.

I think a MT frame with a SD shock and a set of 29er wheels and fork would be fun to play with, especially against the clock on a known trail.
    I think thereís another difference between the Smash and the Megatrail, but Iím not sure what it is. Maybe we can get Matt to chime in here?

Iíve heard that the Megatrail can run 29Ē wheels, but the reason the Smash was created is to be a 29er Megatrail. Iím not sure what changes GG made to make the Smash, so Iíll defer to someone who knows.
    Hadley hubs for sale

eci
    I think thereís another difference between the Smash and the Megatrail, but Iím not sure what it is. Maybe we can get Matt to chime in here?

Iíve heard that the Megatrail can run 29Ē wheels, but the reason the Smash was created is to be a 29er Megatrail. Iím not sure what changes GG made to make the Smash, so Iíll defer to someone who knows.
    The difference is the rear stays between the two. same front triangle

All Fun Rider
    Phew I'm still enjoying my Shred Dogg to no end! Last week I tried swapping from my 2.8 DHRII/2.6 Butcher combo down to a 2.3" DHF in the front and Ardent 2.4 in the rear. I destroyed the ardent with a snake bite pinch flat through the whole tire, and then did the same thing with a brand new ardent 2.4 one week later! The difference in climbing agility was sort of insane, it flew up the hills with the narrower tires than I was used to, but the cornering traction in Arkansas over layers of dry oak leaves and pine needles was horrible, in particular in the back with the Ardents.

I'm definitely a believer in plus but I'm thinking that a Maxxis 2.5 WT (Wide Trail) Aggressor as a rear may be in my future to pair with the Butcher up front. I may even go double-down casing...

I've been having a hell of a time figuring out which mode, Trail or Descend, I prefer. I don't really notice any huge detriment in climbing ability once I'm in Descend mode, but when I'm in trail mode the thought of "you could have 10mm more" is constantly nagging me. I find myself just switching back and forth and not feeling a major change. If anything the bike feels more balanced in Descend mode with my 160mm Lyrik. It was nice to have the Trail mode for Hymasa before Captain Ahab in Moab! In Colorado where you go up 3K feet without a shuttle, I can see the bike's switch ability being much more useful.

Since my Lyrik is badly damaged, I was thinking up a dream scenario where I have a pile of dosh to spend on fork setups, and I'm pretty sure I'd get a 150mm Revelation (2018 is 35mm stanchions) and put in an Avalanche damper, and then purchase a 180mm Yari with an Avalanche damper to swap to on park days...affordable and a killer combo from everything I've read.

Shout out to Allison at GG for hooking me up with their suspension wiz engineer's base tune for my suspension back in April-- I've had a lot of fun tweaking it since then and am enjoying tokenless and relatively linear 80psi rides at 155lbs rider weight. 85 psi was what I ran at the gnarly Windrock DH park and I had a single bottom-out. 82 psi is what I ran for a week in Moab and my bike was damn flawless. Ate everything up with aplomb.

Whenever I get that 180mm fork I can get a rear coil too. The flexibility this bike gives is genius!
    Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg w/ 160mm ACS-3'd Lyrik

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by pixel_nut View Post
    Phew I'm still enjoying my Shred Dogg to no end! Last week I tried swapping from my 2.8 DHRII/2.6 Butcher combo down to a 2.3" DHF in the front and Ardent 2.4 in the rear. I destroyed the ardent with a snake bite pinch flat through the whole tire, and then did the same thing with a brand new ardent 2.4 one week later! The difference in climbing agility was sort of insane, it flew up the hills with the narrower tires than I was used to, but the cornering traction in Arkansas over layers of dry oak leaves and pine needles was horrible, in particular in the back with the Ardents.

I'm definitely a believer in plus but I'm thinking that a Maxxis 2.5 WT (Wide Trail) Aggressor as a rear may be in my future to pair with the Butcher up front. I may even go double-down casing...

I've been having a hell of a time figuring out which mode, Trail or Descend, I prefer. I don't really notice any huge detriment in climbing ability once I'm in Descend mode, but when I'm in trail mode the thought of "you could have 10mm more" is constantly nagging me. I find myself just switching back and forth and not feeling a major change. If anything the bike feels more balanced in Descend mode with my 160mm Lyrik. It was nice to have the Trail mode for Hymasa before Captain Ahab in Moab! In Colorado where you go up 3K feet without a shuttle, I can see the bike's switch ability being much more useful.

Since my Lyrik is badly damaged, I was thinking up a dream scenario where I have a pile of dosh to spend on fork setups, and I'm pretty sure I'd get a 150mm Revelation (2018 is 35mm stanchions) and put in an Avalanche damper, and then purchase a 180mm Yari with an Avalanche damper to swap to on park days...affordable and a killer combo from everything I've read.

Shout out to Allison at GG for hooking me up with their suspension wiz engineer's base tune for my suspension back in April-- I've had a lot of fun tweaking it since then and am enjoying tokenless and relatively linear 80psi rides at 155lbs rider weight. 85 psi was what I ran at the gnarly Windrock DH park and I had a single bottom-out. 82 psi is what I ran for a week in Moab and my bike was damn flawless. Ate everything up with aplomb.

Whenever I get that 180mm fork I can get a rear coil too. The flexibility this bike gives is genius!
    Wow, what happened to your Lyrik? For tires, I'm running the DHF 2.5 WT front and back, but I can't wait to try a WT Aggressor in the back too.

If I didn't have to do any pedaling, I'd be perfectly happy in gravity mode.. but because I do pedaling, even for dirt jumping I need the acceleration, I run mine in trail mode with 30% sag in the rear to get the bike to feel balanced right in trail mode, and the fork with 20% sag. I also run an -1 works headset and the fork at 160mm. So my geo is much more like a traditional DH bike (lower BB, slacker HA, steep seat angle), and I'm really happy with it for the majority of my riding.

I did order the ACS-3 Lyrik conversion for my bike. I'm a big fan of the feel of the Push suspension (not for everyone, but I enjoy it), and I have an 11-6 in the back. For me, I've found that the base suspension setup for the Shred Dogg and Megatrail are optimized for gravity mode for me. If I'm riding in trail mode most of the time, I have to redo the 11-6 (it's really sensitive to which mode it's in), and redo the sag on the fork or the bike feels tall to me.

I wish I could afford an Avy dampener on top of all that, but I don't think that's in my future.. but it sounds like a fun idea

Like you, I do agree on the lack of tokens. Those made the bike feel really harsh to me and the suspension feels MUCH better without them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If you're looking to buy a lightly used SD coil for the full strength MT, lemme know. I'm going to sell my SD coil for it since I have an 11-6 for the Shred Dogg now.
    You can probably twist my rubber arm. My SD build has been delayed a bit due to a new touring bike/commuter for the fiancee and a massive dentist bill, but it's still slated for late winter/early Spring.

2 bikes in 1? Or 4 in 1 plus an extra shock? Yes please!

Wait - are you elevenSixing the SD or the MT length shock?

always licking the glass

Quote Originally Posted by Khai View Post
    You can probably twist my rubber arm. My SD build has been delayed a bit due to a new touring bike/commuter for the fiancee and a massive dentist bill, but it's still slated for late winter/early Spring.

2 bikes in 1? Or 4 in 1 plus an extra shock? Yes please!

Wait - are you elevenSixing the SD or the MT length shock?
    Iíll definitely let you know if I end up selling the MT coil. Iím still debating on what to do with it.

I put a shred dogg 11-6 on the bike. My shred dogg SD coil is for backup duty for it.

The 11-6 is a pretty amazing shock. Iím still getting used to it. It lets me run the bike in trail mode and still feel pretty squish and awesome.

Whatís your build for your shred dogg?
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Iíll definitely let you know if I end up selling the MT coil. Iím still debating on what to do with it.

Whatís your build for your shred dogg?
    Sweet - I'm in no rush so let me know and if it works out I'll order the bike with the other shock. ;p

I'm still not 100% decided but this is what I'm thinking:

Shock: RockShox SuperDeluxe RCT Coil
    Fork: MRP Ribbon Coil 160
    Headset: Cane Creek Slamset
    Drivetrain: XT 1x M8000 + eThirteen TRS+ 9-46t
    Bashguard: Absolute Black Oval Bash Guide
    Crank: 150mm Canfield AM/DH
    Chainring: Absolute Black Oval 28t (MT/SD is optimized for 28-34t)
    Brakes: TRP Quadiem SL || Magaura Trail Sport
    Rotors/Pads: 203/180 slotted rotors & full metallic pads
    handlebar: SQLabs 30x16: 15mm rise
    stem: Syntace Megaforce 2: 30mm/-6deg
    saddle: SQLabs 611 Ergowave Active
    Dropper: Bikeyoke Revive - 125 || 9point8 Fall Line
    Wheels: Industry Nine Enduro S i30 || Spank Oozy Trail 345 || Four Four Three Momentum
    Tyres: Minion DHR/DHF EXO w/ CushCore tyre inserts

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Shred Dog - took me long enough to try

I have finally tried my MT in the Shred Dog mode and went with 150/145mm travel. I have ridden it on three occasions on a range of rides, from first of all an old state DH course that is still used, flowy bike park trails and (maybe illegal) ungroomed single track in the bush.

The SD was fun to ride on all types of trail. Of course it did suffer on some of the big stuff on the DH course but it felt capable and competent enough to give it a crack. Certainly tough enough. One thing I have noticed is that all GG bikes I have ridden jump really well. I did race into some rock garden, lost vision momentarily because the rocks were a bit big and the bike slowed on the square edges. Stomp on the pedals and it whips up to speed again.

The flowy stuff was awesome to ride. The bike can pop and hop like a champ. As I have mentioned, this is a nimble bike and it is totally engaging with the trail. It is a blast to ride because you are consumed by the ride, or joining with the bike to consume the trail and to shred it. The cornering is super and working a series of corners is bliss, stomp out of the corner and the SD will launch off with good speed for the next feature.

On the ungroomed stuff, I actually equaled some of my MT times on a couple of favourite tracks. The SD can get on with the business of going fast.

How do I rate it, excellent. I have done many miles on a Carbon Bronson, V1 and V2. The SD beats a carbon Bronson in just about every way. Certainly on the DH capability. The only place it doesn't is perhaps a long fire road climb where the weight difference might be a factor. The efficiency isn't an issue.

I have also ridden a SB5c a fair amount. It is an excellent bike as well, but I think the SD is better again. The sprint abilities are about the same, but when the jumps and rough stuff rolls in the SD shows it's heritage. Cornering, well the SD is insanely good. The SB5c is really good at that, but fast cornering and aggressive man handling and the SD is the tool for the job.

A good bike there GG. Just feels unshakable and very confidence inspiring ride. A very naughty ride to.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    I have finally tried my MT in the Shred Dog mode and went with 150/145mm travel. I have ridden it on three occasions on a range of rides, from first of all an old state DH course that is still used, flowy bike park trails and (maybe illegal) ungroomed single track in the bush.

The SD was fun to ride on all types of trail. Of course it did suffer on some of the big stuff on the DH course but it felt capable and competent enough to give it a crack. Certainly tough enough. One thing I have noticed is that all GG bikes I have ridden jump really well. I did race into some rock garden, lost vision momentarily because the rocks were a bit big and the bike slowed on the square edges. Stomp on the pedals and it whips up to speed again.

The flowy stuff was awesome to ride. The bike can pop and hop like a champ. As I have mentioned, this is a nimble bike and it is totally engaging with the trail. It is a blast to ride because you are consumed by the ride, or joining with the bike to consume the trail and to shred it. The cornering is super and working a series of corners is bliss, stomp out of the corner and the SD will launch off with good speed for the next feature.

On the ungroomed stuff, I actually equaled some of my MT times on a couple of favourite tracks. The SD can get on with the business of going fast.

How do I rate it, excellent. I have done many miles on a Carbon Bronson, V1 and V2. The SD beats a carbon Bronson in just about every way. Certainly on the DH capability. The only place it doesn't is perhaps a long fire road climb where the weight difference might be a factor. The efficiency isn't an issue.

I have also ridden a SB5c a fair amount. It is an excellent bike as well, but I think the SD is better again. The sprint abilities are about the same, but when the jumps and rough stuff rolls in the SD shows it's heritage. Cornering, well the SD is insanely good. The SB5c is really good at that, but fast cornering and aggressive man handling and the SD is the tool for the job.

A good bike there GG. Just feels unshakable and very confidence inspiring ride. A very naughty ride to.
    Thanks for your thoughts on this. It's an amazing bike, isn't it? In all honesty, the bike is so solid you can see where the other parts are weak. For shorter travel (160mm), the Lyrik is perfect.

You ride it in trail mode or in gravity mode? I'm at the point of just getting the suspension completely dialed for gravity mode and leaving it at that unless I know I have a long climb ahead. The bike just feels soo much more stable in gravity mode (all my spills on this bike have been in trail mode), and uphill it's fine. It's me who sucks uphill--not the bike So I'm working on that.

Have you tried the Shred Dogg with a 160mm fork? Curious, since I didn't try the bike yet with a 150mm fork, but the Shred Dogg feels solid with a 160mm fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I rode it in gravity mode only. As you say, this is totally fine for everything up and down. Trail mode would be snappy for sure. Yep I could see that a 160mm fork would be totally fine and in fact extend the burly nature some more. I'd stick with that success.

I just tried the original spec of a 150 fork, not for any other particular reason other than perhaps I ensured there was enough travel change to pick up a difference. I'll be going back to 170mm fork and MT mode soon.

Dudette
    So far I've ridden mine almost exclusively in trail mode. I have the 160 Lyrik on mine and absolutely love it. Any concerns I may have had about it being too much fork for trail riding or climbing have been completely unfounded. I feel like I climb better than I ever have, especially technical climbs. This bike excels at slow-speed maneuvering and picking its way through tight and twisty stuff. I completely surprised myself on one of my last rides when I finally made it up a rocky washout climb that up until that point, I've never cleaned. This bike is a goat!

All Fun Rider
    I spent about 3 hours today tuning low-speed compression dampening, tokens, and rebound dampening on my 17' Lyrik 160 as well as the Super Deluxe RC3. Rode the same downhill section over and over that I also pedaled up each time which was great for testing how it did for a variety of things. I tuned it in trail mode all day, and then at the end, switched it to gravity mode and had more fun, lol...I've found my usable ranges at least.

At 155lbs my 17' Lyrik RC has 82psi with two bottomless tokens installed, 2 out of 13 clicks of low-speed rebound dampening applied to keep it from being so divey. 8 clicks applied out of 20 for the rebound dampening. I tried the fork with only 3 clicks of rebound dampening applied and felt that infamous bucking sensation! Testing all of the extremes was fun. I'm with you on this one Stripes-- the more I ride the bike, the more I feel like "Trail mode" is really just "really long climb when you're already really tired", mode.

I took 8 little notebook pages of notes all in all, stopping at my car after every run to record my thoughts on the tuning adjustments. Anyway, I'm a bit under GG's base tune for the fork based on my weight (they say 85 which I had great luck with), but I think that with the two tokens plus my LSC applied, I'm getting a pretty poppy and supportive midstroke now.

At 155psi in the rear I find myself bottoming out the rear shock pretty easily on landings (always run in open mode)-- but only in Trail mode. As soon as I went to DH mode after my slew of changes I was much more confident to land-to-flat after popping off roots at high speed etc.

I also lowered my stem by 20mm and the only thing I can say is that it feels slightly different, can't say it's better or worse. Subtle changes are so much harder to figure out...

Even thought I barely did continuous trail riding, I still had a blast today!

always licking the glass
    I spent about 3 hours today tuning low-speed compression dampening, tokens, and rebound dampening on my 17' Lyrik 160 as well as the Super Deluxe RC3. Rode the same downhill section over and over that I also pedaled up each time which was great for testing how it did for a variety of things. I tuned it in trail mode all day, and then at the end, switched it to gravity mode and had more fun, lol...I've found my usable ranges at least.

At 155lbs my 17' Lyrik RC has 82psi with two bottomless tokens installed, 2 out of 13 clicks of low-speed rebound dampening applied to keep it from being so divey. 8 clicks applied out of 20 for the rebound dampening. I tried the fork with only 3 clicks of rebound dampening applied and felt that infamous bucking sensation! Testing all of the extremes was fun. I'm with you on this one Stripes-- the more I ride the bike, the more I feel like "Trail mode" is really just "really long climb when you're already really tired", mode.

I took 8 little notebook pages of notes all in all, stopping at my car after every run to record my thoughts on the tuning adjustments. Anyway, I'm a bit under GG's base tune for the fork based on my weight (they say 85 which I had great luck with), but I think that with the two tokens plus my LSC applied, I'm getting a pretty poppy and supportive midstroke now.

At 155psi in the rear I find myself bottoming out the rear shock pretty easily on landings (always run in open mode)-- but only in Trail mode. As soon as I went to DH mode after my slew of changes I was much more confident to land-to-flat after popping off roots at high speed etc.

I also lowered my stem by 20mm and the only thing I can say is that it feels slightly different, can't say it's better or worse. Subtle changes are so much harder to figure out...

Even thought I barely did continuous trail riding, I still had a blast today!
    Glad you found a setting you like. It seems to take me forever until I talk to a suspension whisperer I think I finally have my 11-6 set right, thanks to Mattís help.

Hoping to get out for an easy trail ride tomorrow and see how it feels. This will be entirely in gravity mode. I honestly donít climb any faster or better in trail mode unless I know itís an extended climb. Even then, I still hate climbing.

I have my fork set at the default for someone with 180lb weight, but with those tokens removed. If I ride it primarily in trail mode, Iíll take 5 psi out of the fork and it doesnít feel tall anymore.
    Hadley hubs for sale

All Fun Rider
    Wondering how GG decided on 42mm offset as the standard fork-spec (at least for the Lyrik 160), mostly just because I'm curious what changing to a higher offset would do for DH stability vs low-speed handling.

I'm mostly asking because a coil MT-stroke shock is probably in my future and I'm wondering if Megatrail riders that are building mini-DH sleds with 180mm of travel up front are increasing their trail through less fork offset, or if the geometry and travel change alone when upping travel creates a pretty big difference in trail-- increasing high-speed stability (not that it even needs it, to be honest).

42mm is already the low end of offset though, if I'm not mistaken. How does the 42mm offset fork handle so brilliantly at low-speed while climbing? It's like, magic or something. I was under the impression that low-offset forks had worse steering responsiveness in general, which I'm sure not feeling.

This may just be me focusing in too hard on one isolated effect which can't be looked at by itself as there are so many other variables...

I'm thinking that instead of buying a 180mm Lyrik air rod and going for an Avalanche open-bath damper that I would swap back and forth between 160mm and 180mm, I'd increase the quality of my 160mm suspension with an AC3S kit and stay at 160mm in the front, and only change my rear shock.

Stripes, how the heck did you decide to get an 11-6 in shred dogg stroke versus megatrail??? That's going to be the hardest decision of my life once I scrounge together enough money to get one.

always licking the glass
    Wondering how GG decided on 42mm offset as the standard fork-spec (at least for the Lyrik 160), mostly just because I'm curious what changing to a higher offset would do for DH stability vs low-speed handling.

I'm mostly asking because a coil MT-stroke shock is probably in my future and I'm wondering if Megatrail riders that are building mini-DH sleds with 180mm of travel up front are increasing their trail through less fork offset, or if the geometry and travel change alone when upping travel creates a pretty big difference in trail-- increasing high-speed stability (not that it even needs it, to be honest).

42mm is already the low end of offset though, if I'm not mistaken. How does the 42mm offset fork handle so brilliantly at low-speed while climbing? It's like, magic or something. I was under the impression that low-offset forks had worse steering responsiveness in general, which I'm sure not feeling.

This may just be me focusing in too hard on one isolated effect which can't be looked at by itself as there are so many other variables...

I'm thinking that instead of buying a 180mm Lyrik air rod and going for an Avalanche open-bath damper that I would swap back and forth between 160mm and 180mm, I'd increase the quality of my 160mm suspension with an AC3S kit and stay at 160mm in the front, and only change my rear shock.

Stripes, how the heck did you decide to get an 11-6 in shred dogg stroke versus megatrail??? That's going to be the hardest decision of my life once I scrounge together enough money to get one.
    For some reason, I haven't given offset a thought. For me, it's more on how the spring works, the dampening, and the torsional rigidity. Honestly, I found the Lyrik gets very overwhelmed the faster you go. It's the reason I haven't used my Shred Dogg/Megatrail for park use. I ordered a Fox 36 160mm for the Shred Dogg. I'm hoping that will be perfect for either Shred Dogg or Megatrail duty.

I was seriously getting deranged trying to build up a park Megatrail for the summer, looking at doing a parts switchout, but I couldn't think of a fork that made me happy until I start talking to some folks about stiff forks and ended up with the Fox 36. If Rock Shox made a Totem still for 650B, that would have been seriously tempting.

I haven't tried my bike with the 180mm fork, but we'll see about summer. I think 170mm might be enough, or even 160mm depending on how you ride. Since I have a -1 headset in mine, the 170mm should be more than ample for DH duty. I still prefer the dual crown, but I'm willing to give this a try next year for Trestle.

I know that feeling about the 11-6, but my understanding is when you buy one, if you want to adjust it for another bike, Push will do that for you. So if I decide I want to rock it as a Megatrail, I'll send it back to Push and have them do it. Fortunately, I have both the SD coils for backup as well.

My problem is the fork: I want ACS3 kits for 160mm and 170mm, but I can't afford that. I'm ending up getting a second set of wheels for this bike (the Derbys are getting relegated to plus tires with 2.8 HR2s for the cold, soft, and wet stuff), and another set running 2.5 DHF and 2.4 HR2 (Spank Race 33s) for dry season, DJs, and DH.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Oorah! My MRP Ribbon Coil arrived today.

160mm travel. While the stock Auron wasn't a bad fork for what it is, I'm thinking the Ribbon will be on another level.

I can't wait to put it on this weekend.

All Fun Rider
    Oorah! My MRP Ribbon Coil arrived today.

160mm travel. While the stock Auron wasn't a bad fork for what it is, I'm thinking the Ribbon will be on another level.

I can't wait to put it on this weekend.
    Huuuuck yeah I bet you're going to love that! I just installed the ACS3 kit in my 160mm Lyrik and am seriously enjoying the coil feel on this bike. I did a writeup on the ACS3 thread here, for anyone curious! I'm still messing with bump-stop settings right now but the ride feel has markedly improved. Zero regrets, great investment. Next up is the rear! I might be forced to not mate my push front to a push rear due to not having a bag of money at my disposal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Wow Curveball - very interested to hear how that compares.

mtbr member
    Picked up a Shred Dogg over the holidays and finally got out for a short pedal. This is replacing a V1 megatrail and I'm thinking it's going to be a hell of a lot of fun. Can't wait to get moar saddle time in warmer weather on better dirt.

Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg-img_5541.jpg

mtbr member
    I put the Ribbon Coil on it Saturday and took it to the local park trails. Not the roughest terrain, but it is absolutely amazing. Root tangles just disappear and small drops are extremely smooth. The trails were too greasy to get up much speed, but hitting stuff was quite impressive. It's far smoother than the Auron. I wouldn't recommend ordering a GG bike without the Ribbon. I can't wait to hit some faster and chunkier terrain.

No issues whatsoever running 160 mm travel. Still glued on climbs and corners.

always licking the glass
    I put the Ribbon Coil on it Saturday and took it to the local park trails. Not the roughest terrain, but it is absolutely amazing. Root tangles just disappear and small drops are extremely smooth. The trails were too greasy to get up much speed, but hitting stuff was quite impressive. It's far smoother than the Auron. I wouldn't recommend ordering a GG bike without the Ribbon. I can't wait to hit some faster and chunkier terrain.

No issues whatsoever running 160 mm travel. Still glued on climbs and corners.
    I'm stoked to hear that. People just have to find what they like.

Yeah, that's my thoughts on going from the Lyrik to the Fox. I didn't try the Ribbon because my last upgrade for my Shred Dogg is going to be the Push coil ACS3 for the fork.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I'm stoked to hear that. People just have to find what they like.

Yeah, that's my thoughts on going from the Lyrik to the Fox. I didn't try the Ribbon because my last upgrade for my Shred Dogg is going to be the Push coil ACS3 for the fork.
    stripes, I put the ACS3 coil on my Fox 36 (on my Spot Rollik - which is a Shred Dog contemporary) and it is super nice. I ditched coil on my DH rig but I'm a coil fork convert for trail bikes. (Yes, I'm drinking the coil-aid.)

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott2MTB View Post
    stripes, I put the ACS3 coil on my Fox 36 (on my Spot Rollik - which is a Shred Dog contemporary) and it is super nice. I ditched coil on my DH rig but I'm a coil fork convert for trail bikes. (Yes, I'm drinking the coil-aid.)
    Oh cool. Yeah, I'm a big fan of coil. I was pretty sad when Fox got rid of the Van/Vanilla forks. I still like the feel of it better.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Best bike I have ever owned, and that says a lot. Climbs like a beast and can handle whatever I throw at it. I have ridden Knolly's, Pivots, Kona's, Diamond Backs just to name a few. I am not the worlds strongest climber but I like to put in the work for memorable descents. This bike does it all and does it well.
    Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg-img_2061.jpg

Little about the build:
    Medium Black and Blue (gold decals)
    RaceFace Next R Cranks
    E*Thirteen Cassette
    SRAM XO 1x11 Shifter/Derailure
    KS Lev Dropper (150mm)
    RaceFace Next R Bars
    Rockshox Pike Fork
    Rockshox Deluxe Shock
    Shimano Zee Brakes
    Stans MK3 Flow Wheelset
    Minion DHF (Front)
    Aggressor (Rear)

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JHart94949 View Post
    Best bike I have ever owned, and that says a lot. Climbs like a beast and can handle whatever I throw at it. I have ridden Knolly's, Pivots, Kona's, Diamond Backs just to name a few. I am not the worlds strongest climber but I like to put in the work for memorable descents. This bike does it all and does it well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2061.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	179.1 KB 
ID:	1181333

Little about the build:
    Medium Black and Blue (gold decals)
    RaceFace Next R Cranks
    E*Thirteen Cassette
    SRAM XO 1x11 Shifter/Derailure
    KS Lev Dropper (150mm)
    RaceFace Next R Bars
    Rockshox Pike Fork
    Rockshox Deluxe Shock
    Shimano Zee Brakes
    Stans MK3 Flow Wheelset
    Minion DHF (Front)
    Aggressor (Rear)
    Great info.

My girlfriend and I are looking for new bikes this year. We have tried a good number for bikes but they just never felt right. Either to slack or to XC.

We are excited to demo the SD.

Plus the fact that it's a semi custom bike a great price

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    Great info.

My girlfriend and I are looking for new bikes this year. We have tried a good number for bikes but they just never felt right. Either to slack or to XC.

We are excited to demo the SD.

Plus the fact that it's a semi custom bike a great price
    Itís an amazing ride. Iíve had mine repainted, and the new decals just upped the look on it. And youíre right: semi custom for the price. No one else really does that.

Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Pretty as a picture. That would be sensational with the Push. Very nice!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    that looks great! that's an XS right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I wouldn't have considered gold on white as a color combination but I will be damned if that is not one classy looking machine Stripes!

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by pedrosalas7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by burkawitz206 View Post
    I wouldn't have considered gold on white as a color combination but I will be damned if that is not one classy looking machine Stripes!
    Thanks, yeah. I'm going to try it this year like this, and I'm hoping it's what I want for the bike parks too. I have a DH bike, but I'm kinda wondering how this will feel, especially with the Push.

Yep, it's an XS. First XS of the v2s It was originally raw, but I'm digging the white knuckles. I wasn't sure how the gold on white was going to come out, but it looks amazaballs. Now I just have to learn to ride it I have a feeling this bike can handle much more than I can.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I really want to get a Shred Dogg, but I also really want to get a Transition Scout. I wish the decision were easier to make.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I really want to get a Shred Dogg, but I also really want to get a Transition Scout. I wish the decision were easier to make.
    I've ridden both and the decision isn't even remotely difficult in my mind - get the Shred Dogg.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thank you Khai

*indecision intensifies*

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I've ridden the Scout and other Giddy-up suspension bikes and I like the GG feel better. Besides, if you get the Shred Dog, you can always change it to a Megatrail and then get the Scout. Win win win :P

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott2MTB View Post
    Besides, if you get the Shred Dog, you can always change it to a Megatrail and then get the Scout. Win win win :P
    Or a Smash

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by steeple View Post
    Or a Smash
    Can you fit a 29er wheel set on the SD?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

You need a different rear triangle, I believe, but you can convert between Smash, Shred Dog, and Megatrail v.2 with the same front triangle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

I believe unofficially you can fit 29x2.3 tires on the SD as is or you can get a set of Smash seatstays to go full on 29er.

mtbr member
    I have a close friend who owns a bike shop and he is a Transition dealer. I have ridden the Scout, Smuggler, and Patrol. He also carries Pivot and Giant. I owned a Pivot Mach 6 and was thinking about going to a Scout. I was about to pull the trigger when I discovered Guerrilla Gravity. My Shred Dogg feels very natural under me, I am not the the fasted climber but I can punish a big on the downhills, my size (210 lbs) and my riding style definitely puts a bike frame through its paces. I think it really important to get out and ride a bike, don't put to much thought into alloy or carbon, focus on how it feels under you, how it pedals. I truly doubt you will be disappointed with the Shred Dogg. Like I said, I came off a full carbon pivot mach 6, and I would even blink an eye at making the same decision again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JHart94949 View Post
    Like I said, I came off a full carbon pivot mach 6, and I would even blink an eye at making the same decision again.
    I was at a Pivot demo day last year and was very surprised that the Mach 6 was only "meh" to me - and I did not like the Firebird much at all. My current bike is a Cocalis design (Titus Racer X) and I really like the Weagle designed suspension of the Evil bikes. Given that, I expected to really like the Pivots. Nope.

Of the Transition bikes I preferred the Patrol over the Scout, but my favourite bike of theirs is by far the Klunker. (I know, I know... apples to bacon)

I've ridden a lot of different bikes over the past few years in search of "the one" and for me the Shred Dogg/Megatrail is it (the Smash doesn't work for me as 29ers and midgets don't get along). Next best imo would probably be an Evil Insurgent. The Uprising was a party machine and the Insurgent is more or less an updated version of that. GG has that covered with the SD, but swap out the shock and all of a sudden you've got a proper "big" bike that can handle damn near anything I'd ever throw myself at and then some.

I've ridden Specialized, Santa Cruz, Kona, Rocky, GT, Trek, Giant, Transition, Pivot, Norco, Evil... took a hard/long look at YT/Commencal/Canyon (hard to demo those), and have spent a ridiculous number of hours reading, researching, and bugging people.

For my money, nothing comes close to Guerrilla Gravity.

mtbr member
    I was at a Pivot demo day last year and was very surprised that the Mach 6 was only "meh" to me - and I did not like the Firebird much at all. My current bike is a Cocalis design (Titus Racer X) and I really like the Weagle designed suspension of the Evil bikes. Given that, I expected to really like the Pivots. Nope.
    Funny thing was that I went to a Pivot demo day and tried a Mach 6. I owned a Mach 6 and my buddy and I traded bikes back and forth with him. The demo M6 was awful [suspension issues] and mine was amazing. Demos are such a crapshoot when it comes to what condition the bikes are in and how well setup for you they are.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Funny thing was that I went to a Pivot demo day and tried a Mach 6. I owned a Mach 6 and my buddy and I traded bikes back and forth with him. The demo M6 was awful [suspension issues] and mine was amazing. Demos are such a crapshoot when it comes to what condition the bikes are in and how well setup for you they are.
    If that's the case then Pivot is doing a serious disservice to their brand by putting out bikes that aren't setup properly. I demoed a GT a few years back at Crankworx and absolutely HATED it. My rides on Evil and GG have been really good, though. The Nomad I owned (v2? 2013) was pretty fun going down but I didn't like pedaling it too much. It was better than the Firebird I demoed last year but both the Scout and the Patrol were far better climbers (though they can't touch the Evil, which in turn falls short of a coil sprung Megatrail in Gravity mode)

mtbr member
    If that's the case then Pivot is doing a serious disservice to their brand by putting out bikes that aren't setup properly.

I 100% agree with you, but I've had more bad demos than good by a fair margin.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I really wanted a scout badly, was pretty much set on one, until I rode the Shred Dogg. Come on by my place on Saturday and you'll see why.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Joining the Trail Party!

Whats up!

I just got done with a couple shakedown rides today on my new Shred Dogg and i'm loving it. I'm coming from a V1 Magatrail and am finding that the shorter stroke and livelier feel of the Shred Dogg is very nice for the trail systems that I put most of my miles in on; I will also be having my 11-6 rebuilt to support full Megatrail mode for those days where additional travel is in order.

Pretty stoked on how the build came together, it mostly consists of components that were on my V1 Metatrail build but I am playing around with CushCore and tire options. As it sits the bike weighs in at a hair over 33 lbs with CushCore/EXO casing in the back and DD up front.

I'm 6'2" with long legs and arms but a fairly short torso, riding a large frame with 35mm stem length and so far the fit is pretty phenomenal.

Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg-shred-dogg-1.jpg

Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg-shred-dogg-3.jpg

Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg-shred-dogg-4.jpg

I'm expecting the delivery of a Pedalhead frame set fairly soon and will be building that up slowly over the next few months. As a GG BAMF if anyone is in the Southern Oregon area and would like to throw a leg over the Shred Dogg or Pedalhead when its built hit me up!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I finally ordered my Shred Dogg. I wanted to say thank you to everyone on this forum who takes the time to answer questions and share information, it has been a huge factor in my decision making process. Special thanks to Curve and 2mtz for meeting up with me and showing me their bikes, and Stripes and Bobby from GG for their help. I cannot wait until this thing arrives!

Frame: Shred Dogg medium
    Finish: raw
    Decals: black
    *Extra water bottle braze-ons on bottom of down-tube

Fork: MRP Ribbon 27.5 160mm
    Shock: Fox DPX2 Factory
    Headset: Cane Creek -1 degree AngleSet
    Stem: Deity Cavity
    Bars: Deity Skyline
    Grips: Deity Knuckleduster
    Saddle: Deity Speedtrap
    Pedals: Deity TMAC
    Seatpost: BikeYoke Revive
    Brakes: SRAM Guide RSC
    Drivetrain: GX Eagle
    Wheelset: DT Swiss e1700 Spline 30
    Crankset: Raceface Turbine
    Chainguide: MRP AMG Alloy
    Tires: Maxxis 2.6 DHF & 2.6 Rekon 3C/EXO/TR

Dudette
    Y'all are making me so jealous with your ride posts! Snow (and now rain) in the northeast have shut down trails unless you're on a fat bike. I miss my Shred Dogg and am really hoping for an early spring. Keep sharing your pictures so I can live vicariously for just a while longer 😉.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I finally ordered my Shred Dogg. I wanted to say thank you to everyone on this forum who takes the time to answer questions and share information, it has been a huge factor in my decision making process. Special thanks to Curve and 2mtz for meeting up with me and showing me their bikes, and Stripes and Bobby from GG for their help. I cannot wait until this thing arrives!

I'm looking at a SD as well. Why did you go with the Cane Creek -1 degree AngleSet?

mtbr member
    DAMN!!!!! nothing but drool from me. I have inquired about shipping one to Cape Town, but its just way too expensive. I look at other options/brands, and always find myself coming back to the shred dog

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by riyadh View Post
    DAMN!!!!! nothing but drool from me. I have inquired about shipping one to Cape Town, but its just way too expensive. I look at other options/brands, and always find myself coming back to the shred dog
    You could always do a fly & buy and bring it home as your luggage

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah, enjoy a week off in Colorado, come ride, and bring back a dirty bike!
    French line enthusiast and expat in Denver, ig; lazoup

Megatrail FS

I Like bikes, I really do

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I'm looking at a SD as well. Why did you go with the Cane Creek -1 degree AngleSet?

Did 100s-1000s of hours of rider feedback likely inform the geometry and design that Guerilla Gravity ended up with? Yes

Are all of the people responsible for the ultimate outcome of the bike vastly more knowledgeable and experienced both in terms of riding and bike design than I will ever be? Yes

Did I focus in on one aspect of bike geometry that I myself know doesn't exist in a vacuum then compare it to the same thing from similar bikes from other brands before deciding that for some reason I needed to make a change even before riding the bike in its original form for no good reason? YES!

always licking the glass

You're welcome. You're gonna really love it!

This is an awesome build. I have the Deity bars on my bikes and love them. I agree on the -1 angleset. I think the bike feels much better that way. How come you opted for Cane Creek vs Works? Works doesn't have the creaking sound, and if it's not too late, I'd recommend them over the angleset any day.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Did 100s-1000s of hours of rider feedback likely inform the geometry and design that Guerilla Gravity ended up with? Yes

Are all of the people responsible for the ultimate outcome of the bike vastly more knowledgeable and experienced both in terms of riding and bike design than I will ever be? Yes

Did I focus in on one aspect of bike geometry that I myself know doesn't exist in a vacuum then compare it to the same thing from similar bikes from other brands before deciding that for some reason I needed to make a change even before riding the bike in its original form for no good reason? YES!
    Not really following this.

I'm assuming that the Cane Creek -1 degree AngleSet was installed to slack out the front end. This would take your HA to 66/65.3 from 67/66.3.

I also noticed that you upped the 160mm setting from the stock 150mm setting. This would also decrease another .4 degrees.

Or, I have it backwards and the angles set was used to offset the difference created by the longer fork.

always licking the glass
    Not really following this.

I'm assuming that the Cane Creek -1 degree AngleSet was installed to slack out the front end. This would take your HA to 66/65.3 from 67/66.3.

I also noticed that you upped the 160mm setting from the stock 150mm setting. This would also decrease another .4 degrees.

Or, I have it backwards and the angles set was used to offset the difference created by the longer fork.
    The Shred Dogg is recommended to run either a 150mm or 160mm fork. The folks here run either or, and both are happy with them. Technically you could run a 180mm fork since it's the same chassis as the Megatrail.

I run a 160mm Shred Dogg with a -1 headset. It feels more balanced to me that way, and I'm happy with it. Most people here don't run it with an -1 headset, but that's why they're designed the way they are.

There are a lot of trail bikes these days at 65-65.5 degree HAs. It's not really that uncommon of a thing.
    For me, I found the 66 degree HA to be a bit steep for my personal comfort level.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    The Shred Dogg is recommended to run either a 150mm or 160mm fork. The folks here run either or, and both are happy with them. Technically you could run a 180mm fork since it's the same chassis as the Megatrail.

I run a 160mm Shred Dogg with a -1 headset. It feels more balanced to me that way, and I'm happy with it. Most people here don't run it with an -1 headset, but that's why they're designed the way they are.

There are a lot of trail bikes these days at 65-65.5 degree HAs. It's not really that uncommon of a thing.
    For me, I found the 66 degree HA to be a bit steep for my personal comfort level.
    Thanks for getting into the weeds a little bit.

For me anything around 66 or less is getting to slack and doesn't work well for me. 67ish degrees seems to be the sweet spot for me.

I have thought about running an Angle Set backwards to run 68/67.3 I don't think I would do this out of the box, but its something to keep in the back of my mind.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

For me anything around 66 or less is getting to slack and doesn't work well for me. 67ish degrees seems to be the sweet spot for me.

I have thought about running an Angle Set backwards to run 68/67.3 I don't think I would do this out of the box, but its something to keep in the back of my mind.
    FWIW, I am finding that front end of my Shred Dogg is noticeably more planted and wanders less at slow speeds while climbing the steeps than my V1 Megatrail was; which I am attributing to the longer reach combined with the steeper seat tube angle. This is with identical builds (swapped all parts from V1 Megatrail frame to Shred Dogg) and my Stage set to 170mm.

If this is the reason that you are steering towards a steeper head angle (to improve slow speed/climbing performance) and you have not been on a frame with a similar take on geometry it may be worth trying the "as-designed" head angle and making adjustments from there.

Just a thought, not trying to steer you away from trying something, just stating what I have noticed in my short time on this very capable bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    BMW & Mercedes both have a program like that (not sure about Audi). Fly to Germany, pick up the car, drive it around for a bit, drop it off and they'll ship it home for you. The savings from importing a "used" vehicle are purportedly enough to offset the cost of the trip, meaning that you get a bomb-ass vacation thrown in compared to the price of buying it at home. (Or so I hear)

Not sure the match works out quite as well for a GG but DAMN you'd have a good time! CO has excellent beer as well as tasty trails.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by shizzon View Post
    FWIW, I am finding that front end of my Shred Dogg is noticeably more planted and wanders less at slow speeds while climbing the steeps than my V1 Megatrail was; which I am attributing to the longer reach combined with the steeper seat tube angle. This is with identical builds (swapped all parts from V1 Megatrail frame to Shred Dogg) and my Stage set to 170mm.

If this is the reason that you are steering towards a steeper head angle (to improve slow speed/climbing performance) and you have not been on a frame with a similar take on geometry it may be worth trying the "as-designed" head angle and making adjustments from there.

Just a thought, not trying to steer you away from trying something, just stating what I have noticed in my short time on this very capable bike.
    You're running the Shred Dogg with a 170mm fork? Tell me more.

Matt suggested I do that for Trestle runs this summer.
    Hadley hubs for sale

always licking the glass

Anytime. My DH sled has a 63mm head angle, so the 65mm feels steep to me.

If you're going to do that, make sure you run the fork at 150mm. I think it would feel ridiculously tall with a 160mm fork with steeper angles.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Thats a great idea, but very costly. I will be working on options for one in the near future.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Anytime. My DH sled has a 63mm head angle, so the 65mm feels steep to me.

If you're going to do that, make sure you run the fork at 150mm. I think it would feel ridiculously tall with a 160mm fork with steeper angles.
    It's all about what you are used to ... Haha.

My current bike has a 72 degree HA. Thats why anything around 66 feels super slack. I couldn't imagine 63.

To me 63 would like Snoopy and Woodstock on thier chopper ... Haha

always licking the glass
    It's all about what you are used to ... Haha.

My current bike has a 72 degree HA. Thats why anything around 66 feels super slack. I couldn't imagine 63.

To me 63 would like Snoopy and Woodstock on thier chopper ... Haha

Exactly. Each to their own. A lot of people feel really comfy on a steeper head angle than me. I'll chalk it up to being weird.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Exactly. Each to their own. A lot of people feel really comfy on a steeper head angle than me. I'll chalk it up to being weird.
    Being weird rocks .... stay weird

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You're running the Shred Dogg with a 170mm fork? Tell me more.

Matt suggested I do that for Trestle runs this summer.
    Hi Stripes,

The Stage (26/27.5) at 170mm is 9mm shorter than a Ribbon (27.5) at 170mm in axle to crown (553mm vs 562mm). So I would have similar geometry with a Ribbon @ 160mm.

Technically my stage has Ribbon internals, so its a "Stribbon" and it feels pretty damn good and has been trouble free for my 3 year of ownership; my pedalhead will be built up with a Ribbon due to the option to switch to coil in the future, but it would be nice to squeeze a few more mm of travel for a given geometry by going with the Stage instead (though it looks like there is only a 4mm reduction in ATC when comparing the Stage/Ribbon 29" at 150mm).

mtbr member

Congratulations! That will be a very sweet build.

Let me know when you get it and we'll rip some trails!

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by pedrosalas7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shizzon View Post
    Hi Stripes,

The Stage (26/27.5) at 170mm is 9mm shorter than a Ribbon (27.5) at 170mm in axle to crown (553mm vs 562mm). So I would have similar geometry with a Ribbon @ 160mm.

Technically my stage has Ribbon internals, so its a "Stribbon" and it feels pretty damn good and has been trouble free for my 3 year of ownership; my pedalhead will be built up with a Ribbon due to the option to switch to coil in the future, but it would be nice to squeeze a few more mm of travel for a given geometry by going with the Stage instead (though it looks like there is only a 4mm reduction in ATC when comparing the Stage/Ribbon 29" at 150mm).
    Huh, interesting the Fox 36 is 549mm at 160mm fork, so I bet the geo is closer to a Lyrik at 150mm, since the Lyrik at 160mm is 562mm. I bet it would feel better at 170mm.
    Hadley hubs for sale

Ride On
    How are folks getting on with the bottom bracket height on these with a 150mm fork? Is it actually 334mm at its highest setting? Iíve decided to keep my full sus a 27.5 and given I prefer shorter travel bikes the Shred Dogg is a natural choice, however I will definitely want to slacken out the head angle by at least 1į which will lower that bottom bracket about couple of mm. My current ride is at 337mm (same travel) and itís the first bike Iíve ever needed to install a taco bash guard onto so Iím not confident the Shred Dogg would work on our more gnarly trails. Most of the reviews and pictures I see are folks running these in what appears to be bike parks or wide open desert trails, who rides theirs on the natural and tight rough stuff?

always licking the glass

Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post
    How are folks getting on with the bottom bracket height on these with a 150mm fork? Is it actually 334mm at its highest setting? Iíve decided to keep my full sus a 27.5 and given I prefer shorter travel bikes the Shred Dogg is a natural choice, however I will definitely want to slacken out the head angle by at least 1į which will lower that bottom bracket about couple of mm. My current ride is at 337mm (same travel) and itís the first bike Iíve ever needed to install a taco bash guard onto so Iím not confident the Shred Dogg would work on our more gnarly trails. Most of the reviews and pictures I see are folks running these in what appears to be bike parks or wide open desert trails, who rides theirs on the natural and tight rough stuff?
    AFAIK, itís a 50-50 split on people riding a 150mm lyrik or a 160mm lyrik.

I switched from a lyrik 160mm to a Fox 36 160mm. The Fox is shorter by 12mm, so itís closer to the 150mm setup. Honestly, I think it feels better this way, even on the techie stuff Iíve ridden. Just really planted and thatís what I want when I ride.

My bike is also set up with a -1 headset and 160mm cranks and a bash guard. I ran it originally with 165mm cranks, but for me itís more a knee/hip/foot issue than banging anything.

And I also ride my bike 95% of the time in gravity mode. Iíve had my bike a year now and I never really liked trail mode. I rode it in trail mode in Moab and just didnít enjoy it. Iíll try it in gravity mode there when I go back.

I find I really like the slack -1 HA with the shorter travel in gravity mode because itís so well balanced.

In CO, we have plenty of rough but not much in the way of tight and twisties that Iíve seen.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    How about running it with the 29er 150mm fork. It has the same axle to crown as the 170mm 27.5 fork.

It should give you a similar geo to the Megatrail but with a shorter travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Not a problem, ran it with 150mm fork for the extra playfulness and it was very playful. 160mm front not far off and would extend the DH end.

I have angelsets in, and my BB was 328mm. Worked tech fine, but, not for everyone. There must be knack to riding low BBs. I understand some people just can't be bothered with it. Me, it never is an issue. A couple of times in a ride, you might ratchet the pedals in a tech climb, but it's all part of the fun in the end.

Good luck

mtbr member
    The GG recommended sag on the SD is 25%-30% seated. The sag on my Endo [same bike you are on Geraldooka] is 30% standing in attack position so something like 40% seated. So if I were to follow the GG recommendation my sagged BB height with a 150mm fork on the SD would be comparable in Trail mode...maybe a even a touch higher.

I'd also have a quick switch to Gravity Mode for flow trails or for epic descents where there wasn't much tech climbing on the way down.

Lots of variables to factor in.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

always licking the glass
    Not a problem, ran it with 150mm fork for the extra playfulness and it was very playful. 160mm front not far off and would extend the DH end.

I have angelsets in, and my BB was 328mm. Worked tech fine, but, not for everyone. There must be knack to riding low BBs. I understand some people just can't be bothered with it. Me, it never is an issue. A couple of times in a ride, you might ratchet the pedals in a tech climb, but it's all part of the fun in the end.

Good luck
    This. I really like running it with the shorter fork. It really makes the bike shine and just feel soooo planted.

What size angleset are you running?
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post
    I ride tight and rough trails in the PacNW and find that I get quite a few pedal strikes if I'm in gravity mode. For that sort of terrain, I'll use trail mode and it seems much better. The steeper HA works better in that situation as well since I can swing it around trees a bit easier.

I'll use gravity mode if I'm going to the bike park or getting into an extended rough downhill where I want more stability and travel.

Ride On
    Thanks folks good feedback. Iím down with the ratcheting techniques and have to use them on most rides here; we have very few flow style trails locally. Iím also running 170 cranks now, I donít want to run anything shorter and I will keep the fork at 150.

Re sag, thatís a tough one to pin down exactly it may be possible to run less and achieve the ride characteristics Iím after but itís an unknown until Iím on the bike here. Interesting recommendations from GG I would think I would not want to run any less sag given the lower leverage on the SD (I.e the SD is applying less leverage early in its stroke than the Endo) arm chair analysis however is less than ideal.

There are also other very commercially successful bikes like the Whyte 130s that has similar B.B. heights so thatís confidence boosting.

mtbr member
    I should qualify my post by stating that I don't use an angleset and am currently running my fork at 160. I haven't noticed any drawbacks at all to using a 160 fork over 150.

My trails are generally too twisty to want to slacken the HA at all. Just putting it in gravity mode is more than slack enough for me when things get steep and rowdy.

Ride On
    I should qualify my post by stating that I don't use an angleset and am currently running my fork at 160. I haven't noticed any drawbacks at all to using a 160 fork over 150.

My trails are generally too twisty to want to slacken the HA at all. Just putting it in gravity mode is more than slack enough for me when things get steep and rowdy.
    Thanks Curveball. Iíd be reaching the same head angle as you, just getting there differently. I agree that a 66į head angle (where you would be in gravity mode with a 160 fork) is great for a trail bike. I would achieve that head angle with a 150 fork and a -1į angleset in trail mode.

mtbr member
    Looking at the imperial measurements on the GG SD and Knolly Endo geo charts the reported BB heights with 150mm fork are the same at 13.4". The metric geo charts show a difference though.

My Endo with a 150mm Pike and 2.4" Conti Trail Kings [casings about the same size as a Maxxis 2.6" tire] has a BB height of ~13.6" so with a typical Maxxis 2.4" tire the BB height would be right about the spec in the geo chart.

Anyone with a SD care to measure their BB height and report it along with tires and fork you are using?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

always licking the glass
    Looking at the imperial measurements on the GG SD and Knolly Endo geo charts the reported BB heights with 150mm fork are the same at 13.4". The metric geo charts show a difference though.

My Endo with a 150mm Pike and 2.4" Conti Trail Kings [casings about the same size as a Maxxis 2.6" tire] has a BB height of ~13.6" so with a typical Maxxis 2.4" tire the BB height would be right about the spec in the geo chart.

Anyone with a SD care to measure their BB height and report it along with tires and fork you are using?
    I can measure mine later in gravity mode. Mine is running 2.5 WT DHFs front and rear. Note that rims will matter too. Iím running Spank Race 33 rims on mine. When I was running derbyís, the bike felt much higher, even in gravity mode.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    I can measure mine later in gravity mode. Mine is running 2.5 WT DHFs front and rear. Note that rims will matter too. Iím running Spank Race 33 rims on mine. When I was running derbyís, the bike felt much higher, even in gravity mode.
    Cool. For sure post any build details you think would impact BB height & pedal strikes.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

always licking the glass
    Cool. For sure post any build details you think would impact BB height & pedal strikes.
    I will but remember I run 160mm cranks and crampon pedals
    Hadley hubs for sale

always licking the glass
    Let me know if you need any other data.

Measurement in imperial with gravity mode. Note trail mode will raise this a 1/2 inch (12mm).

Frame: XS Shred Dogg
    Headset: -1 works headset
    Tires: DHF 2.5 WT
    Rims: Spank Race 33 (28mm internal)
    Fork: Fox 36 160mm 2018 (measures closer to a lyrik 150mm) with 90 psi (20% sag)
    Rear shock: 11-6 with 25% sag and 525lb spring
    Fully loaded Defiant NUTS sack (6-7 lbs estimated)

Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Just to add another voice I've found that my favorite setting for my SD is gravity mode with 25% rear sag. I'm running a 160 fox 36RC2 and a RS Deluxe RT in open. 170mm cranks and flat pedals. I think it's just right--you definitely have to watch your pedals but no more so than with any other "low" bike I've had.

I have an 11-6 from my V1 MT but cannot seem to decide whether to get it rebuilt with a Megatrail or ShredDogg stroke. One thing I love about the 11-6 is how well it stays up in its travel--it definitely makes a low BB more pedal friendly. I'm thinking I'll take the bike out to Pisgah and see how it does and decide from there. We just need some weather that doesn't suck...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast