Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My medium is 29.6 lbs. Has DT carbon wheel set, stock 2.6 tires, Ribbon air fork, Deluxe air, and RF carbon bars.
    You might talk to GG about sizing, I'm at 5' 11" and love the medium, even considering a shorter stem as its long up front.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    My 5'3", 108# GF rides a small Shred Dogg, it's not built light except for CF bars & crank. Rims are aluminum (i35mm), bike is outfitted with 10-50t drivetrain, 2.6" tires, etc. -- not light stuff. We haven't weighed it but my educated guess is 32#ish. She came off a 27# CF Giant XC bike.

She says her Shred Dogg climbs so well the only time she notices the weight is when she's lifting the bike onto the car rack. (She doesn't do this much... I do. )
    Sparty: At 5'3" she rides a small and not an XS?
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Hadley hubs for sale

SR Suntour
    May 2006
    Mine is 32lbs, I'm 6'0 and ride a medium in both the Dogg and the Pistol. Stock Ride 2 build with Glow in the Gnar paint, but with SR Suntour Auron fork (instead of Aion but about the same) and Tri-Air piggyback rear shock. Also got the XT e13 drivetrain, KS Lev I dropper and swapped the bars for 31.8 Spank Vibrocore/FSA stem and Ergon grip (none of my upgrades were for weight). Weighed with XT pedals before adding my stuff to the NUTS bracket (but includes bottle cage, computer mount, a little extra stan's sealant). On the plus side my 165mm bike is also 32lbs (just swapping spacers on my suspension is all it takes!)
    SR Suntour guru. envelo rep.

http://www.instagram.com/darkins44

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks all for the info. I just can't justify going up close to 4 pounds for a new bike, that spec wise is pretty much what my Turner Flux is now.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64 View Post
    Thanks all for the info. I just can't justify going up close to 4 pounds for a new bike, that spec wise is pretty much what my Turner Flux is now.
    My Shred Dogg is definitely heavier than my mojo hd3 was but I donít feel the weight.

What other bikes are you looking at riding? I was looking at the mojo 3, transition scout, and Santa Cruz 5010 when I stumbled across GG.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    My Shred Dogg is definitely heavier than my mojo hd3 was but I donít feel the weight.
    My Smash is over 4lbs heavier than my old bike. Does stop me from PRing climbs on it. I could easily make it 4lbs lighter, but 1) I like the build as is and 2) there is no performance hit for the type of techy steep riding I do.

Like other people have mentioned the only time I notice the weight is lifting the Smash out of my truck.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Our SD and TP are 6-8lbs heavier than our last bikes. The only time we notice it is when loading them on our rack.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Out spokin'
    Sparty: At 5'3" she rides a small and not an XS?
    Thatís right. She & I (and Bobby at GG) discussed sizing at length and based on her body dimensions and priorities (including wanting the deepest dropper possible), she settled on the small frame. She does wish the TT was lower but we didnít see that option (upside down TT like your bike) until after sheíd taken possession. The good news is her bike accommodates a large water bottle (Fidlock).

There are times I wonder if sheíd have been better off with the XS frame.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    My Smash is over 4lbs heavier than my old bike. Does stop me from PRing climbs on it.
    I think you meant "doesn't stop me from PRing climbs"

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quick question just jumped up to a 150mm air spring on my pike should I keep the 3 tokens installed and what pressures is everyone running at?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Am I correct in thinking if I was running 70 psi st 130mm should drop to 65 with 150mm ?

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by dbolster24 View Post
    Am I correct in thinking if I was running 70 psi st 130mm should drop to 65 with 150mm ?

No. What you were running on your 130mm fork is irrelevant. They have different axle to crown measurements, and possibly even offsets.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    For a while now I have been wanting to try big wheels on my SD and over the weekend I finally decided to give it a try!

I took the wheel set (I9 Trail 270) and fork (MRP Ribbon Air) from my Pedalhead that and upped the travel to 140mm (the Ribbon as been at 130mm on the Pedalhead).

Based on my experiences with the Pedalhead I had a feeling that the bigger hoops would be fun on the SD and man was I right!

I think a new fork and wheels are in my future! I'm also excited to see how the Ribbon at 140mm will feel on the Pedalhead.

Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg-meat-pistol-1.jpg

Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg-meat-pistol-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I run my MRP Ribbon Air at 140mm on my Trail Pistol and love it. I know it's a different bike but I'm super happy with my Smash-lite. 140mm/120mm is still nimble and for me. I'm also running 29+ tires front/rear.

mtbr member
    Shizzon-.....So you built a Smash out of your Shred Dogg.....🤣

That is great stuff!!!!

GG bikes are really just a canvas...

Banshee: 2015 Phantom-L

Guerrilla Gravity: Shred Dogg-M

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Hi Everybody,

Although this is my first post here, I sort of feel like I know you all, since I've been lurking here, on FB, and on IG.

My name is Sue, and I'm pretty sure I need a Shred Dogg!

Here's my story: I learned to MTB in the mountains of NC in the late '80's on a fully rigid Rock Hopper. I loved that bike so much, and even raced on it. Then it got stolen, and I got a GT Avalanche. I hated that one because I was constantly going OTB. Then I moved to FL and got a Trek 930 to ride on the flat trails there. Then I moved to Portland, OR, and got a Titus Loco Moto in The Year 2000. I loved that bike too, but I developed other hobbies and did some trail riding, but mostly used it as a commuter (sad). Recently, I got a dirt jumper (Octane One Void) and have been riding at my local indoor bike park. This is so much fun! And ... now I've got MTB fever.

I've read everything it this thread 3 or 4 times (and lots of other GG stuff around the Internet), and I've come to the conclusion that the Shred Dogg is the closest thing to a modern version of the Loco Moto. (Here's a link to Titus' description of the Loco, in case you're interested: https://web.archive.org/web/20000621..._locomoto.html)

Not only is the Shred Dogg an excellent all-arounder, it's also one of the very few bikes that have a short enough standover height for me.

Here are my dimensions:
    Height: 5' 0"
    Shoed Inseam: 27.75"
    Riding Weight: 180lbs

I've been researching every single component, making spreadsheets, and over-analyzing it all to death. I can be highly indecisive. It's a sickness, but also part of the fun. And it should be noted that every single thing about mountain bikes has changed since the last time I bought one (Y2K), so I have a lot to learn.

Here's what I'm currently thinking, and I welcome all input:

XS Shred Dogg in F* Yeah Blue || Glow-in-the-Gnar
    • Fork: MRP Ribbon Coil 160 || Fox 36 Factory 170 (My Loco had Fox Vanilla coil)
    • Shock: MRP Hazzard || DVO Topaz T3 (My Loco had Fox Float)
    • Headset: Chris King? Not sure if this is worth upgrading from
      stock
    • Stem: Deity Copperhead || Chromag BZA
    • Bars: Deity TMO || Chromag BZA
    • Grips: Deity Copperhead || Chromag BZA
    • Saddle: No idea
    • Pedals: Deity TMAC
    • Seatpost: KS Lev 125 || Bikeyoke 160
    • Brakeset: Shimano Zee (I have & like them on my DJ)
    • Rotors: No idea
    • Shifter/Derailleur/Cassette: XT (for levers) || GX Eagle (for bigger granny gear - never used SRAM before)
    • Crankset: RaceFace Atlas (160? Because stripes likes them.)
    • Chainring: Don't know
    • Wheelset: Spank Oozy 350 (Because super low profile = shorter bike) || Stan's MK3 Flow || DT Swiss EX1501
    • Tires: No idea

Thanks for reading this far, and TIA for your opinions!

mtbr member
    Looks like a great build, I would look at going with a full XO1 drivetrain, shifters and all. If you want to save some money go with the 1x11 with the eThirteen cassette, I have it and it is amazing. I actually think it has a bigger gear range than the Eagle. I too love the Shimano Zee brakes, if you want the most out of them go with the ice tech rotors. I run a 203 in front and 180 in rear, I am 220 lbs though, the Ribbon comes set up for a 180mm already.

As for wheels, I just had some Raceface ARC 30's built around DTSwiss 350 hubs....AMAZING!

Quote Originally Posted by crunchysue View Post
    Hi Everybody,

Although this is my first post here, I sort of feel like I know you all, since I've been lurking here, on FB, and on IG.

Here's my story: I learned to MTB in the mountains of NC in the late '80's on a fully rigid Rock Hopper. I loved that bike so much, and even raced on it. Then it got stolen, and I got a GT Avalanche. I hated that one because I was constantly going OTB. Then I moved to FL and got a Trek 930 to ride on the flat trails there. Then I moved to Portland, OR, and got a Titus Loco Moto in The Year 2000. I loved that bike too, but I developed other hobbies and did some trail riding, but mostly used it as a commuter (sad). Recently, I got a dirt jumper (Octane One Void) and have been riding at my local indoor bike park. This is so much fun! And ... now I've got MTB fever.

I've read everything it this thread 3 or 4 times (and lots of other GG stuff around the Internet), and I've come to the conclusion that the Shred Dogg is the closest thing to a modern version of the Loco Moto. (Here's a link to Titus' description of the Loco, in case you're interested: https://web.archive.org/web/20000621..._locomoto.html)

Not only is the Shred Dogg an excellent all-arounder, it's also one of the very few bikes that have a short enough standover height for me.

Here are my dimensions:

I've been researching every single component, making spreadsheets, and over-analyzing it all to death. I can be highly indecisive. It's a sickness, but also part of the fun. And it should be noted that every single thing about mountain bikes has changed since the last time I bought one (Y2K), so I have a lot to learn.

• Fork: MRP Ribbon Coil 160 || Fox 36 Factory 170 (My Loco had Fox Vanilla coil)
    • Shock: MRP Hazzard || DVO Topaz T3 (My Loco had Fox Float)
    • Headset: Chris King? Not sure if this is worth upgrading from
      stock
    • Stem: Deity Copperhead || Chromag BZA
    • Bars: Deity TMO || Chromag BZA
    • Grips: Deity Copperhead || Chromag BZA
    • Saddle: No idea
    • Pedals: Deity TMAC
    • Seatpost: KS Lev 125 || Bikeyoke 160
    • Brakeset: Shimano Zee (I have & like them on my DJ)
    • Rotors: No idea
    • Shifter/Derailleur/Cassette: XT (for levers) || GX Eagle (for bigger granny gear - never used SRAM before)
    • Crankset: RaceFace Atlas (160? Because stripes likes them.)
    • Chainring: Don't know
    • Wheelset: Spank Oozy 350 (Because super low profile = shorter bike) || Stan's MK3 Flow || DT Swiss EX1501
    • Tires: No idea

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Crunchysue, I didn't read most of your post past the second sentence but I am pretty sure you need a Shred Dogg! I absolutely love mine every time I get on it, doesn't matter if it is out tech trails in the rain or riding around the neighborhood with my kids. As far as parts, I have the Bikeyoke 160 and love it. You might consider an offset headset/angleset for a touch more slack-ness but you can do that later, maybe waiting makes more sense if are going to take time adjusting to modern MTB geometry. I have never ridden coil suspension but I run the Fox36 factory/DPX2 combination and I haven't ridden anything where I felt it wasn't doing exactly what it should. I live up near Seattle and really enjoy the Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR combination year-round so you might consider that if you are riding in the PNW.

I am sure you have already talked to Stripes, basically do whatever she says and you will be good

Welcome to the family in advance!

always licking the glass
    Yes, you do especially since youíve read this thread and quoted me.

the conclusion that the Shred Dogg is the closest thing to a modern version of the Loco Moto. (Here's a link to Titus' description of the Loco, in case you're interested: https://web.archive.org/web/20000621..._locomoto.html)
    I had a Titus racer X, learned to mtb in NC and FL. Guess we have a bit in common . Iíve ridden MBO (Alpine is amazing), but no where else in the PNW. You definitely have some fun stuff there.

Here are my dimensions:
    You will be totally fine standover wise. I went from a XS to a small and I still have plenty of standover at 29.5Ē inseam.

Reach will be fine too. The XS has a ďflippedĒ top tube so it gives extra standover

Ok some things to note:
    - use a 50mm stem at the longest. Bikes now are long.
    - GG bikes have a steeper seat post angle than most. I personally love it. Some folks arenít as sold on that. It can be challenging if youíve done a traditional bike fit in the past, because it doesnít exactly fit into that.
    - angles are a lot more slack. Even the Shred Dogg in trail mode might feel quite slack to you comparatively

If you do glow in the gnar, donít do red labels. My current megatrail is fyeah blue with white labels.

[*]Fork: MRP Ribbon Coil 160 || Fox 36 Factory 170 (My Loco had Fox Vanilla coil)[*]Shock: MRP Hazzard || DVO Topaz T3 (My Loco had Fox Float)
    Fork is your choice. Iím partial to the Fox 36 (the 2019 with the grip2 is solid, doesnít need to add the ACS3 coil conversion).

Get the Topaz. It has a spacer you can take out and convert to a megatrail

Also, as much as I like fox, the Topaz is the best air rear shock Iíve run hands down. And I hate air rear shocks. This is a solid suspension bit.

[*]Headset: Chris King? Not sure if this is worth upgrading from
    stock[*]Stem: Deity Copperhead || Chromag BZA[*]Bars: Deity TMO || Chromag BZA[*]Grips: Deity Copperhead || Chromag BZA[*]Saddle: No idea[*]Pedals: Deity TMAC[*]Seatpost: KS Lev 125 || Bikeyoke 160
    The Ergon saddle is super nice. Petey got me trying it, and I love it. And yes the King headset is worth the upgrade.

[*]Brakeset: Shimano Zee (I have & like them on my DJ)[*]Rotors: No idea[*]Shifter/Derailleur/Cassette: XT (for levers) || GX Eagle (for bigger granny gear - never used SRAM before)
    Take the Zees off your DJ and put them on this bike. Makes no sense to have Zees on a DJ.

Rotors: 180 centerlines front and rear.

Go with GX Eagle full drivetrain. Donít bother with mixing shimano. Either run SRAM or Shimano.

Iím still running 11-46 11 speed shimano and Iím happy with it. But other people like the Eagle.

[*]Crankset: RaceFace Atlas (160? Because stripes likes them.)[*]Chainring: Don't know
    Atlases only go to 165mm. Canfield bros go to 160mm. I didnít like the 160mm so Iím back to 165mm atlas. If you wanna buy a barely used set of Canfield bros at a really good price with a 28t chainring lemme know.

If you do eagle, 28 or 30T.
    [/quote]

[*]Wheelset: Spank Oozy 350 (Because super low profile = shorter bike) || Stan's MK3 Flow || DT Swiss EX1501[*]Tires: No idea[/LIST]

Spank wheels are awesome. Tires, depends if youíre running plus or not. Shred Dogg can run up to 2.8 in the rear.
    Hadley hubs for sale

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by burkawitz206 View Post
    Crunchysue, I didn't read most of your post past the second sentence but I am pretty sure you need a Shred Dogg! I absolutely love mine every time I get on it, doesn't matter if it is out tech trails in the rain or riding around the neighborhood with my kids. As far as parts, I have the Bikeyoke 160 and love it. You might consider an offset headset/angleset for a touch more slack-ness but you can do that later, maybe waiting makes more sense if are going to take time adjusting to modern MTB geometry. I have never ridden coil suspension but I run the Fox36 factory/DPX2 combination and I haven't ridden anything where I felt it wasn't doing exactly what it should. I live up near Seattle and really enjoy the Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR combination year-round so you might consider that if you are riding in the PNW.

I am sure you have already talked to Stripes, basically do whatever she says and you will be good

Welcome to the family in advance!
    Awww thanks

Burkawitz also has some good suggestions, especially since he rides in the same environment that you do. PNW definitely has some things that we donít hear in Colorado.

I run DHF 2.6 front and Rekon 2.6 in the rear. I like the DHR2 2.8 in the front but not here in CO in the wet. Our stuff becomes cement.

I wonít get into a tire suggestion except for your rims. Whatís their internal width? If theyíre on the wider side, definitely run a 2.6 over a 2.5 Maxxis. Theyíre a better fit for that rim.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I'll also second the GX Eagle drivetrain endorsement, I have been running mine since April and have not had a single issue, and I am not kind to my drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I'm going with don't get GX Eagle.

Shimano XT gets you multiple shifts per press both up and down. Pair that with an e13 cassette and you have almost most the same low end as GX Eagle. Not to mention it saves you $75. More features at less cost is a win. Also, my personal option is XT is higher quality than GX.

I have the XT/e13 combo and love it.

I didn't read the entire build but I also suggest an MRP Ribbon and i35mm rims.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    I'm going with don't get GX Eagle.

Shimano XT gets you multiple shifts per press both up and down. Pair that with an e13 cassette and you have almost most the same low end as GX Eagle. Not to mention it saves you $75. More features at less cost is a win. Also, my personal option is XT is higher quality than GX.

I have the XT/e13 combo and love it.

I didn't read the entire build but I also suggest an MRP Ribbon and i35mm rims.

Personally Iím not a fan of SRAM. I donít like their ergonomics (I broke my wrist over ten years ago, because SRAM is not light action), and last time I tried an eagle my wrist was sore for a good few days afterwards. Iíve been a fan of Shimano ever since.

It took some experimenting to find the right combo for me, and I would definite give the 9-46 a shot if it wasnít changing out the hub driver and the cassette.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Thanks for all your opinions! I've been mulling them over, and am getting closer to a build decision!

Here's my current thinking, and a picture of how beautiful it will be.

XS Shred Dogg in F* Yeah Blue w/ White Decals
    • Fork: Fox 36 Factory 170 - Orange - because orange, and because MRP is not the small indy company I thought it was, so it has no edge over Fox.
    • Shock: DVO Topaz T3 - Green - because it can switch to Megatrail size.
    • Headset: Chris King - because I'm worth it.
    • Stem: Deity Copperhead - Green - because green, and because Deity is such a rad company.
    • Bars: Deity TMO - Green
    • Grips: Deity Knuckledusters - Green
    • Saddle: Maybe Ergon - because Stripes likes it.
    • Pedals: Deity TMAC - Green
    • Seatpost: Bikeyoke 160 - because it gets great reviews
    • Seatpost Clamp: Deity - green
    • Brakeset: Shimano Zee - because they have short-enough reach levers.
    • Rotors: 180mm Centerlines F&R because Stripes says so.
    • Shifter: XTR because adjustable throw.
    • Derailleur: XT
    • Cassette: e*Thirteen 1x11
    • Crankset: RaceFace Atlas 165 - black
    • Chainring: 28T - better clearance than 30T
    • Wheelset: Spank Oozy 350 - green - because low profile, strong, and cheap.
    • Tires: Maxxis Minions

Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg-trail-dogg-color-scheme_small.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Questions & Notes:

Saddle: @stripes - Did you mean the Ergon SM Sport Gel Women saddle? (Saddle Selector ‚Äď ERGON BIKE)

Rims: The Oozy's are 30.5mm ID and 35mm OD. That's good, right?

Dropper Post: The shortest BikeYoke is 160mm - is that short enough for my XS frame? (I've never used a dropper before.)

Boost: I want Boost, right?

@stripes - With a 29.5" inseam, you have 2.5" of clearance on your Small, while I'll only have 1.25" on my XS. You are tall in my book.

Tire Size: Maxxis Minions because @burkawitz206 says so - but what size? What's size has great traction, and also rolls pretty well?

Is is best to order the bike direct from @ridegg, or go through my local shop? The only bike shop I currently have a relationship with doesn't do mountain bikes (commuters only), but I know there are several great shops here in Portland. I used to tear down and maintain my own bike when it was a simple Rockhopper, but I definitely do not want to try to assemble this marvel of modern technology myself.

Thanks for welcoming and helping me!
    -Sue

mtbr member
    Questions & Notes:

Saddle: @stripes - Did you mean the Ergon SM Sport Gel Women saddle? (Saddle Selector ‚Äď ERGON BIKE)

Dropper Post: The shortest BikeYoke is 160mm - is that short enough for my XS frame? (I've never used a dropper before.)

@stripes - With a 29.5" inseam, you have 2.5" of clearance on your Small, while I'll only have 1.25" on my XS. You are tall in my book.

Tire Size: Maxxis Minions because @burkawitz206 says so - but what size? What's size has great traction, and also rolls pretty well?

Is is best to order the bike direct from @ridegg, or go through my local shop? The only bike shop I currently have a relationship with doesn't do mountain bikes (commuters only), but I know there are several great shops here in Portland. I used to tear down and maintain my own bike when it was a simple Rockhopper, but I definitely do not want to try to assemble this marvel of modern technology myself.

-Sue
    You'll get far better pricing through GG and they put everything together extremely well.

MRP is not a small company?

FWIW, I came from a Titus Switchblade and my Shred Dogg has that same level of fanatical attention to detail that Titus had.

For tires, I was washing out the Minion DHF on the front of my bike and have since switched to a WTB Vigilante with great results in PNW muck.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Questions & Notes:

-Sue
    Yes ... You want boost.

As for the rims, that comes down to how wide your tires are running or could run in the future. My girlfriend has i35mm rims (DT1700s). She runs DHF 2.8 front and Aggressor 2.5 rear. She may go 2.8 front and rear next year.

If you are not going to run less than a 2.5in-ish wide tire, I would suggest going with i35mm rims. That way you have plenty of options going forward. If you get i30mm rims, you're locking yourself into a max tire around 2.6in (give or take). It would be much more expensive to swap the rims later. Where as tires are cheap in comparison.

We have i35mm rims on your SD and TP. Wouldn't trade them for anything. We feel we are future proofed in the way of new tires. That was important to us because we don't want to upgrading after the fact.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Questions & Notes:

-Sue
    If you are going with Maxxis, GG gets good prices and they do a great job with the installation.

I would request Orange Seal sealant over the stock Stan's. It's worth the couple bucks.

Personally I don't think Maxxis tires are all that. I feel they are overpriced and overweight. GG has ok prices on other brands of tires, but Mikesee (on here) has great price and amazing customer service. There are a lot of options that don't say Maxxis, but that comes down to how/what you ride.

If you are running eduro races, the minnion combo is a goodchoice. Otherwise, we could spend weeks talking about the options.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    You'll get far better pricing through GG and they put everything together extremely well.

MRP is not a small company?
    MRP *was* a small company, then they were bought by Eko Sport, which is a big company that owns several brands. Then Eko Sport changed its name to MRP. I heard about it on a podcast interview with the Deity guy, who used to work there (https://www.deitycomponents.com/news...e-line-podcast), and a quick Google search verified it. Obviously Fox isn't a small company either; but at least GG is!

FWIW, I came from a Titus Switchblade and my Shred Dogg has that same level of fanatical attention to detail that Titus had.
    That's the impression that I get - good to know!

For tires, I was washing out the Minion DHF on the front of my bike and have since switched to a WTB Vigilante with great results in PNW muck.
    Hmm. Thanks. I don't like to wash out. What size Vigilante?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for all your opinions! I've been mulling them over, and am getting closer to a build decision!

Here's my current thinking, and a picture of how beautiful it will be.

XS Shred Dogg in F* Yeah Blue w/ White Decals
    • Fork: Fox 36 Factory 170 - Orange - because orange, and because MRP is not the small indy company I thought it was, so it has no edge over Fox.
    • Shock: DVO Topaz T3 - Green - because it can switch to Megatrail size.
    • Headset: Chris King - because I'm worth it.
    • Stem: Deity Copperhead - Green - because green, and because Deity is such a rad company.
    • Bars: Deity TMO - Green
    • Grips: Deity Knuckledusters - Green
    • Saddle: Maybe Ergon - because Stripes likes it.
    • Pedals: Deity TMAC - Green
    • Seatpost: Bikeyoke 160 - because it gets great reviews
    • Seatpost Clamp: Deity - green
    • Brakeset: Shimano Zee - because they have short-enough reach levers.
    • Rotors: 180mm Centerlines F&R because Stripes says so.
    • Shifter: XTR because adjustable throw.
    • Derailleur: XT
    • Cassette: e*Thirteen 1x11
    • Crankset: RaceFace Atlas 165 - black
    • Chainring: 28T - better clearance than 30T
    • Wheelset: Spank Oozy 350 - green - because low profile, strong, and cheap.
    • Tires: Maxxis Minions

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trail-Dogg-Color-Scheme_Small.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	1227392

Sick build! I came from a Titus Racer-X (XS) and am on an XS SD/MT (I have two shocks - a Vorsprung Tractive tuned SD Coil for SD duty and an MRP Hazzard for MT duty) - paired with an MRP Ribbon Coil up front. Several years ago I had a Fox 36 of which I wasn't a big fan, but I understand that the new ones are MUCH better. I'm pretty stoked on my MRP suspension though...

FYI, I'm not the biggest fan of the DHF 2.6 up front - I've very nearly lost the front on several occasions. I understand that the 2.5 is a bit better, but you might look for another option. (I'm running Arc 35 rims)

I ordered through my local shop, but you'll probably find the process to be faster/easier if you go direct. I wanted to give them the business, and they also deal with my weirdo build requests (Canfield cranks/Hope brakes/Syntace stem/SQ Lab bar & saddle/XT-OneUp-Shark drivetrain/CushCore/etc.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    If you are going with Maxxis, GG gets good prices and they do a great job with the installation.

I would request Orange Seal sealant over the stock Stan's. It's worth the couple bucks.

Personally I don't think Maxxis tires are all that. I feel they are overpriced and overweight. GG has ok prices on other brands of tires, but Mikesee (on here) has great price and amazing customer service. There are a lot of options that don't say Maxxis, but that comes down to how/what you ride.

If you are running eduro races, the minnion combo is a goodchoice. Otherwise, we could spend weeks talking about the options.
    I've never used a tubeless tire before (because my last MTB was almost from a different century), so I didn't even know I need sealant. So I'll take your word on the Orange.

I really have no tire opinions (or knowledge) so I'm easily swayed here. I may do an enduro race or two, but it won't be very often.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Khai View Post
    Sick build! I came from a Titus Racer-X (XS) and am on an XS SD/MT (I have two shocks - a Vorsprung Tractive tuned SD Coil for SD duty and an MRP Hazzard for MT duty) - paired with an MRP Ribbon Coil up front. Several years ago I had a Fox 36 of which I wasn't a big fan, but I understand that the new ones are MUCH better. I'm pretty stoked on my MRP suspension though...

FYI, I'm not the biggest fan of the DHF 2.6 up front - I've very nearly lost the front on several occasions. I understand that the 2.5 is a bit better, but you might look for another option. (I'm running Arc 35 rims)

I ordered through my local shop, but you'll probably find the process to be faster/easier if you go direct. I wanted to give them the business, and they also deal with my weirdo build requests (Canfield cranks/Hope brakes/Syntace stem/SQ Lab bar & saddle/XT-OneUp-Shark drivetrain/CushCore/etc.)
    Glad you like it - and thanks for the tips! So what tires are your current favorites?

always licking the glass
    Questions & Notes:

-Sue
    Yes, that's the saddle. Petey16 recommended it. It's fantastic!

The Rims are good as long as you're not running a plus setup. I found you want a plus rim for the wider tires, or they get really vague and a weird spot on the shoulder that I found I was washing out on. You'll be fine on 2.4s or 2.5s easily.

Boost is what all the bikes come with today

Tires are such a personal thing. Check with your local riders for that.

mtbr member
    MRP *was* a small company, then they were bought by Eko Sport, which is a big company that owns several brands. Then Eko Sport changed its name to MRP. I heard about it on a podcast interview with the Deity guy, who used to work there (https://www.deitycomponents.com/news...e-line-podcast), and a quick Google search verified it. Obviously Fox isn't a small company either; but at least GG is!

That's the impression that I get - good to know!

Hmm. Thanks. I don't like to wash out. What size Vigilante?
    I'm running a 2.5-inch Vigilante on the front and 2.3-inch DHF on the rear at the present. I'll likely change out the rear tire soon since it's getting pretty worn and I keep getting flats. I may try a WTB Trail Boss for less rolling resistance.

Right now, I have 25 mm rims and would very much like to go wider (and lighter) as soon as finances allow it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I've never used a tubeless tire before (because my last MTB was almost from a different century), so I didn't even know I need sealant. So I'll take your word on the Orange.

I really have no tire opinions (or knowledge) so I'm easily swayed here. I may do an enduro race or two, but it won't be very often.
    Tires are very personal. I like more XC style tires, but this me. Others like more DH tires. The Maxxis Recon is a great choice. Some even run then front and rear.

Tubeless will be a whole new world for you. Take the time to learn how to mount them. It will save you in the long run.

Also ... Your tire pressure will be much lower. My girlfriend is 5-9 and 150. She runs 14psi front and 19psi rear. One or two psi can lead to amazing or horrible ride. Use a digital gauge to set your pressure.

Topeak D2 SmartGauge https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051LQ0X4..._lRBbCb6FRTZ2V

always licking the glass

The 2019 Fox 36 is amazing. Seriously. It behaves like it should. The 2018, which I had previously, I really didn't like at all.

How do you like the Hazzard? I haven't looked into any of the MRP suspension, but heard good things. I'm really liking the Topaz much more than I thought I would, and I've heard really good things about their diamond fork.

My Fox DHX2 is on its way. I'm starting with the lower end spring on it to see how I like it before putting in a better spring. I figured I'd use that for the more chunkier rides/DH rides, and use the air for my XC type rides. And I'm using both as a Megatrail now that I'm not running any angled headsets on the bike.

For the DHF 2.6, I didn't like it anything narrower than my Derby rims (which are at least 35mm ID AFAIK). Anything smaller, go with the DHF 2.5 WT.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member

I really like the Orange sealant too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Glad you like it - and thanks for the tips! So what tires are your current favorites?
    I don't have a favourite yet, I just know that I'm not too keen on what I've got on the front (but I'm too cheap to switch it out for now) I've heard good things about Vee and Hutchinson tyres, and wanted to try the Onza Aquilas but for now they're only available in DH casing. Vik loves his Conti Trail Kings, and rides pretty similar terrain (I'm in Vancouver so I ride the 'Shore/Squamish/Whistler/Pemby, he's on the Island)

mtbr member
    Here's a test of the WTB tires in our PNW region.

https://nsmb.com/articles/wtb-vigila...s-tire-review/

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    How do you like the Hazzard? I haven't looked into any of the MRP suspension, but heard good things. I'm really liking the Topaz much more than I thought I would, and I've heard really good things about their diamond fork.
    I really like the Hazzard. I might not be quite as picky as some, but it feels plush without being wallowy, and offers GREAT traction - to the point where I really don't like climbing with it locked out unless it's a fire road. On singletrack I leave it wide open and it's fantastic. I was really curious about trying DVO suspension when I built this bike but at the time they didn't make a shock that would fit, and I think the fork was a pain in the ass to source or service? I'm not sure why I eventually ruled it out...

My Arc rims are 35mm ID but the 2.6DHFs have a really vague feeling when leaned over. I think they're too wide for the block pattern.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I really like the Hazzard. I might not be quite as picky as some, but it feels plush without being wallowy, and offers GREAT traction - to the point where I really don't like climbing with it locked out unless it's a fire road. On singletrack I leave it wide open and it's fantastic. I was really curious about trying DVO suspension when I built this bike but at the time they didn't make a shock that would fit, and I think the fork was a pain in the ass to source or service? I'm not sure why I eventually ruled it out...

My Arc rims are 35mm ID but the 2.6DHFs have a really vague feeling when leaned over. I think they're too wide for the block pattern.
    That feeling is not a rim issue. I had 2.5wt DHF on i35mm rims and hated them. There is a huge dead spot at intermediate lean angles. Unless you're railing burms the DHF is not a good option. To many people use them just because. Ask people why they run a tire and most can't answer.

I moved to a tire with intermediate lugs and life is much better. I went with XR2 but may go XR4 in the spring. The xr2 has its limits. My friend loves the Knobby Nic. Conti King series are food too.

mtbr member
    Conti King series are food too.

Do they taste like chicken?

I agree with you about the lack of intermediate knobs on the DHR. With our twisty terrain, you can't always pitch the bike over enough to get onto those side lugs and it's sketchy between. If you lean too far here, you might get a face full of tree.

always licking the glass
    Do they taste like chicken?

I agree with you about the lack of intermediate knobs on the DHR. With our twisty terrain, you can't always pitch the bike over enough to get onto those side lugs and it's sketchy between. If you lean too far here, you might get a face full of tree.
    DHR or DHF? I love the DHR 2.8 but because it has good intermediate knob area coverage, it just clogs here.

Another good front tire I like in the muck and wet is the HR2. Iím running the HR2 2.8 on the pedalhead when Iím not running the wrathchilds for the winter.

Right now Iím running the DHF 2.6 on the megatrail for the winter. Iím still running the Rekon 2.6 in the back. For summer Iíll switch back to the DHR2 in the front on the megatrail and HR2 2.8 on the front of the pedalhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Since theyíve been mentioned I have to say I cannot recommend the Spank Oozy 30mm ID rims.

I built a set up for my Shred Dogg and they have not held up well at all. I will be going back to DT Swiss ASAP.
    That said Iím -215lb and ride aggressively In rocky terrain.. still, they suck.

Tires are personal and terrain dependent so I wonít tell you how much I love my maxxis combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganderson View Post
    Since theyíve been mentioned I have to say I cannot recommend the Spank Oozy 30mm ID rims.

I built a set up for my Shred Dogg and they have not held up well at all. I will be going back to DT Swiss ASAP.

Tires are personal and terrain dependent so I wonít tell you how much I love my maxxis combo.

Wow which ones? Are these their lightweight ones?

The only rims I destroyed, and this was while recovering from knee surgery (so I wasnít riding aggressively) were Stanís Flows.

I have their DH rims on my big bike and theyíre pretty solid. But theyíre 28mm ID.

Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Wow which ones? Are these their lightweight ones?

The only rims I destroyed, and this was while recovering from knee surgery (so I wasnít riding aggressively) were Stanís Flows.

I have their DH rims on my big bike and theyíre pretty solid. But theyíre 28mm ID.

These are the Oozy 350 rims (https://spank-ind.com/products/oozy-350-rim) laced to Hope hubs with DT spokes and nipples.

I should have known better but bought into their "radial compliance-lateral stiffness" nonsense and liked the weight vs DT EX rims.. nope.

Out spokin'
    I'm running a 2.5-inch Vigilante on the front and 2.3-inch DHF on the rear at the present. I'll likely change out the rear tire soon since it's getting pretty worn and I keep getting flats. I may try a WTB Trail Boss for less rolling resistance.

Right now, I have 25 mm rims and would very much like to go wider (and lighter) as soon as finances allow it.
    FWIW my 5'3" girlfriend is running 2.6" Maxxis Forecasters on her Shred Dogg and is happy with them. We live in western Oregon where we get lots of rain which leads to wet rocks & roots, slippery snot-covered hardpack this time of year and genuine mud in a month or two once the soil becomes supersaturated.

I've always appreciated Schwalbe Magic Marys for the conditions described but the MMs are a heavy tire. I literally weigh twice as much as my GF so I don't mind the weight penalty but she shouldn't suffer similarly. Anyway the Forecasters have deep, widely-spaced knobs and are a reasonably light tire considering their aggressiveness; she likes them. Offered as another option.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    DHR or DHF? I love the DHR 2.8 but because it has good intermediate knob area coverage, it just clogs here.

Another good front tire I like in the muck and wet is the HR2. Iím running the HR2 2.8 on the pedalhead when Iím not running the wrathchilds for the winter.

Right now Iím running the DHF 2.6 on the megatrail for the winter. Iím still running the Rekon 2.6 in the back. For summer Iíll switch back to the DHR2 in the front on the megatrail and HR2 2.8 on the front of the pedalhead.

Doh! I meant DHF.

I used the OG HRs on my Titus and really liked those a lot. I imagine the HR IIs are even better.

always licking the glass
    Doh! I meant DHF.

I used the OG HRs on my Titus and really liked those a lot. I imagine the HR IIs are even better.
    I may end up trying the 2.6 DHR2. It's a pretty nice tire.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Nov 2018

DT Swiss vs Spank

Wow, that's a bummer about the Oozy. I guess a $500 wheelset might be too good to be true. Which DT Swiss did you go with? I was looking at both the XM and the EX 1501 i30.

According to their website and manual (https://dycteyr72g97f.cloudfront.net...B_ZZ_002.pdf):

The XM 1501 i30 has an MSRP of $1328, weighs 1685g, and is rated for "Category 3: Riding in rough terrain and drops less than 61 cm (24 in.)"

The EX 1501 i30 has an MSRP of $1328, weighs 1775g, and is rated for "Category 4: Riding in rough terrain and drops less than 122 cm (48 in.)"

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I was looking at both the XM and the EM 1501 i30.

According to their website and manual (https://dycteyr72g97f.cloudfront.net...B_ZZ_002.pdf):

The XM 1501 i30 has an MSRP of $1348, weighs 1685g, and is rated for "Category 3: Riding in rough terrain and drops less than 61 cm (24 in.)"

The EX 1501 i30 has an MSRP of $1348, weighs 1775g, and is rated for "Category 4: Riding in rough terrain and drops less than 122 cm (48 in.)"
    That's interesting. I haven't run pre-built wheels in a long time but I wouldn't be too keen on a wheelset that limited my ability to take flight (and maybe case the landing)... Then again, I don't build bikes with a much thought to how much they weigh, either. ;p

always licking the glass
    That's interesting. I haven't run pre-built wheels in a long time but I wouldn't be too keen on a wheelset that limited my ability to take flight (and maybe case the landing)... Then again, I don't build bikes with a much thought to how much they weigh, either. ;p
    Probably liability reasons but yeah I agree with you. Maybe itís to make people think about hucking to flat

I usually build things DH capable but it sucks to walk out when you can ride out, even when itís a slow ride sometimes.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Probably liability reasons but yeah I agree with you. Maybe itís to make people think about hucking to flat
    Perhaps. Maybe it's a function of living so close to the North Shore, but I build everything with the assumption of "dorp to falt" ;p

Out spokin'
    Wow, that's a bummer about the Oozy. I guess a $500 wheelset might be too good to be true. Which DT Swiss did you go with? I was looking at both the XM and the EX 1501 i30.

The XM 1501 i30 has an MSRP of $1328, weighs 1685g, and is rated for "Category 3: Riding in rough terrain and drops less than 61 cm (24 in.)"

The EX 1501 i30 has an MSRP of $1328, weighs 1775g, and is rated for "Category 4: Riding in rough terrain and drops less than 122 cm (48 in.)"
    90 grams is 3.175 ounces. Hmmm... easy decision for me at 220# kitted -- I'd go for the more robust rims. But I'm not speaking for anyone but me. I'll bet the XMs are more capable than DT's conservative statement implies.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

All Fun Rider
    I have a confession to make...

I started looking at other bikes and comparing geo's on a spreadsheet for two weeks straight. I disassembled my bike thoroughly, did a photo shoot, listed the frame on Pinkbike, thought about it for two days and inevitably took down the ad and am now reassembling my very clean bike bahaha.

Top contenders were:
    1) V3 Santa Cruz 5010
    2) Transition Scout 2018/2019 SBG Alloy
    3) Ibis Mojo 3
    4) Intense Primer

In summary, I would have been sacrificing "downhillability" with the 5010 too much, the Scout seemed too similar in a lot of ways while being less adaptable, The Mojo 3 is carbon only and at used pricing w/o warranty to get it for my budget I'd set (and same issue as the 5010 DH'ness), the Intense has a pressfit BB and I researched old-to-recent warranty and customer service stories that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Full disclosure, I bought my '17 Shred Dogg used on eBay and have no warranty anyway, yet GG worked directly with me via email to adjust my seattube tolerance once I shipped in my front triangle, warranty my dropper via Bikeyoke at no cost to me, and updated my 2017 to the 2018 dropper port spec while swapping some frame bearings for a nominal fee.

Pretty much the best CS experience I've ever had...I'm going to hold onto what I've got and probably go down to a 150mm air fork from my ACS3 160mm Lyrik to regain some of that flickability I'm after, and possibly keep my Lyrik for big 'ole Park Days. The thought was to push my Lyrik further with a 170mm Push kit but the grand total on that is around $245 for 10mm, so that can wait and, realistically, won't happen.

I'd definitely regret selling the 160mm setup as soon as I made a trip to Windrock or Trestle again, so for the first time I'm going to own two forks for one frame! Either a secondhand Fox 34 or Pike are likely in my future because they're 50% of what an MRP Stage Air or DVO Sapphire 34 D1 are. Getting a Pike would be weight savings of 532 grams, or 1.17 lbs which aint nothin'.

Other tidbit for people playing around with fit:
    I'm 6' (32" inseam) and have been running my Medium Shred Dogg with 780mm bars with 25mm rise on a Thomson X4 50mm stem. I picked up a 30mm length Syntace Megaforce stem and ran it for a month. It only made things feel too cramped and unnatural, and now that I'm rebuilding my bike I'm putting the 50mm X4 back on for sure!
    Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg w/ 160mm ACS-3'd Lyrik

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Do the bearings and you'll have yourself a new bike!! I test rode the Transition Scout and Patrol along with a pile of others before buying my GG. The Patrol came in 3rd behind the Evil Insurgent and the eventual winner, my SD/MT. The Scout is a really good climber - possibly better than my SD (demo was a long time ago so it's hard to compare). But it didn't descend anywhere near as well, nor was it as confidence inspiring in the air.

These days it's pretty hard to buy a "bad" bike - but I do think it's not hard to but the "wrong" bike...

Glad to hear you're staying in the family!

All Fun Rider
    Do the bearings and you'll have yourself a new bike!!
    They swapped the front triangle bearings for free while it was in for the retrofit, is what I meant .
    Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg w/ 160mm ACS-3'd Lyrik

mtbr member
    Do the bearings and you'll have yourself a new bike!! I test rode the Transition Scout and Patrol along with a pile of others before buying my GG. The Patrol came in 3rd behind the Evil Insurgent and the eventual winner, my SD/MT. The Scout is a really good climber - possibly better than my SD (demo was a long time ago so it's hard to compare). But it didn't descend anywhere near as well, nor was it as confidence inspiring in the air.

These days it's pretty hard to buy a "bad" bike - but I do think it's not hard to but the "wrong" bike...

Glad to hear you're staying in the family!
    I had a similar impression of the Scout. Nice bike, but it didn't feel nearly as capable as the SD.

I also had more pedal strikes on the Scout.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by pixel_nut View Post
    I have a confession to make...

I started looking at other bikes and comparing geo's on a spreadsheet for two weeks straight. I disassembled my bike thoroughly, did a photo shoot, listed the frame on Pinkbike, thought about it for two days and inevitably took down the ad and am now reassembling my very clean bike bahaha.

Top contenders were:
    1) V3 Santa Cruz 5010
    2) Transition Scout 2018/2019 SBG Alloy
    3) Ibis Mojo 3
    4) Intense Primer

In summary, I would have been sacrificing "downhillability" with the 5010 too much, the Scout seemed too similar in a lot of ways while being less adaptable, The Mojo 3 is carbon only and at used pricing w/o warranty to get it for my budget I'd set (and same issue as the 5010 DH'ness), the Intense has a pressfit BB and I researched old-to-recent warranty and customer service stories that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Full disclosure, I bought my '17 Shred Dogg used on eBay and have no warranty anyway, yet GG worked directly with me via email to adjust my seattube tolerance once I shipped in my front triangle, warranty my dropper via Bikeyoke at no cost to me, and updated my 2017 to the 2018 dropper port spec while swapping some frame bearings for a nominal fee.

Pretty much the best CS experience I've ever had...I'm going to hold onto what I've got and probably go down to a 150mm air fork from my ACS3 160mm Lyrik to regain some of that flickability I'm after, and possibly keep my Lyrik for big 'ole Park Days. The thought was to push my Lyrik further with a 170mm Push kit but the grand total on that is around $245 for 10mm, so that can wait and, realistically, won't happen.

I'd definitely regret selling the 160mm setup as soon as I made a trip to Windrock or Trestle again, so for the first time I'm going to own two forks for one frame! Either a secondhand Fox 34 or Pike are likely in my future because they're 50% of what an MRP Stage Air or DVO Sapphire 34 D1 are. Getting a Pike would be weight savings of 532 grams, or 1.17 lbs which aint nothin'.

Other tidbit for people playing around with fit:
    I'm 6' (32" inseam) and have been running my Medium Shred Dogg with 780mm bars with 25mm rise on a Thomson X4 50mm stem. I picked up a 30mm length Syntace Megaforce stem and ran it for a month. It only made things feel too cramped and unnatural, and now that I'm rebuilding my bike I'm putting the 50mm X4 back on for sure!
    Heh, those were three of the bikes I was looking at when I came across GG.

Interesting. Youíre the second GG person Iíve seen list their bike and take it down. Says a lot. When I sold my XS Shred Dogg frame, they said they would honor any CS with it, which is pretty amazing.

They do treat people right. Definitely nice to work with a company that has that figured out.

I tried a 30mm stem on my Shred Dogg. It lasted two rides. 50mm felt like the sweet spot for me too.

Is there an adjustable travel fork you can get? I love the idea of 4 bikes in one with the Shred Dogg/Megatrail, but for me, with this being the start of my third year on the bike, Iím pretty settled into the Megatrail after running it last year as a Shred Dogg only.

Do you think youíll try it as a megatrail too or just a shred Dogg?
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

I won't be buying a prebuilt wheelset.

I'll build up a set with either EX511 rims front and rear or XM481 front, EX511 rear.

I had the 25mm ID versions on my Nomad with good results.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Shred Dogg Has Been Ordered!

My Shred Dogg has been ordered. Thanks for all your input, everybody! Here's the build:

Shred Dogg XS
    Frame Color: Limited Edition: F* Yeah Red
    Decal Color: Gold
    Wheelset - Tubeless: DT Swiss XM 1501 i30
    DVO Topaz T3 - 230x57.5
    Chris King Headset - Inset 5 - Black
    Deity Copperhead 35 - Green
    Deity Knuckleduster - Green
    Ergon SM Sport Women - Black
    Deity Seatpost Clamp = Green
    Shimano Zee Brakes - Front and Rear
    Centerline Rotors - Front and Rear - 180mm
    XTR Shifter
    XT Rear Derailleur - 11 spd
    e13 Cassette TRS +
    28T Chainring
    FSA Chain
    Deity T-Mac Pedals - Green
    Deity Skyline Bars - Green
    KS LEV 100mm
    Factory Series 36 FLOAT 27.5 150 FIT4 3-Position Lever w/Open Mode Adjust 110mm Axle 1.5 T Kashima Matte Black Standard Chassis 44mm rake Part Number is 910-20-540
    Maxxis High Roller II 2.3 3C/EXO/TR - Front and Rear
    Race Face Atlas Cranks - 165mm - Green

Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg-trail-dogg-color-scheme_25.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Name:	Trail-Dogg-Color-Scheme_25.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	1227811
    That looks awesome - you're gonna love it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My Shred Dogg has been ordered. Thanks for all your input, everybody! Here's the build:

Shred Dogg XS
    DVO Topaz T3 - 230x57.5
    XTR Shifter
    e13 Cassette TRS +
    28T Chainring
    FSA Chain
    KS LEV 100mm
    Factory Series 36 FLOAT 27.5 150 FIT4 3-Position Lever w/Open Mode Adjust 110mm Axle 1.5 T Kashima Matte Black Standard Chassis 44mm rake Part Number is 910-20-540

Killer build.. congrats!

Is GG offering a 57.5 stroke version of the Topaz now?

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Killer build.. congrats!

Thanks! I know that DVO makes a 57.5, so I assume that's what GG is getting for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Killer build.. congrats!

They have for awhile. At least 7 months or so.

mtbr member
    Hmm, my Topaz is 60 stroke on the short end and 65 without the spacer. I rather like the 60 mm stroke as it led to a bit of a Mega Shred Dogg.

A 57.5 stroke would make for a legitimately poppy and fun bike I bet.

mtbr member

Shred Dogg XS
    DVO Topaz T3 - 230x57.5
    XTR Shifter
    e13 Cassette TRS +
    28T Chainring
    FSA Chain
    KS LEV 100mm

Congratulations!

That's going to be one very sweet bike.

always licking the glass
    Thanks! I know that DVO makes a 57.5, so I assume that's what GG is getting for me.
    Yep, that's why I got until I took the spacer out and made it a Megatrail.
    It's a really sweet shock once you have it dialed. I spent yesterday going down some steep waterbars to get it dialed.

I wonder if I can get a shorter spacer to try it at 60mm instead of 57.5. Hmm.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I freakin' love it! Where did you find that DT Swiss info about the category of the wheel and recommended drop heights? I have e1700s but I cannot find this info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by burkawitz206 View Post
    I freakin' love it! Where did you find that DT Swiss info about the category of the wheel and recommended drop heights? I have e1700s but I cannot find this info.
    Thanks!

On the page for that wheel (https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...700-spline-30/), towards the bottom, there's a link to a PDF called "WHEELS ASTM & SYSTEM WEIGHT." That's where that info came from. The same PDF is linked from every wheel's page.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks crunchysue. I hope that is just legal boilerplate, I bought the E1700s because I was told they are a pretty stout wheel but drops of less than 48" isn't really going to work out well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hmm, my Topaz is 60 stroke on the short end and 65 without the spacer. I rather like the 60 mm stroke as it led to a bit of a Mega Shred Dogg.

A 57.5 stroke would make for a legitimately poppy and fun bike I bet.
    Yeah.. thatís what I thought everyone with a Shred Dogg was doing. Nice to know theyíre doing 57.5.

That sways me a bit more to the Topaz vs the X2.

mtbr member
    Yeah.. thatís what I thought everyone with a Shred Dogg was doing. Nice to know theyíre doing 57.5.

That sways me a bit more to the Topaz vs the X2.

I haven't ridden an X2, but I have to say that I've been very happy with my Topaz. It's very tunable and feels very composed over the chunk.

I really like how easy it is to either add or remove the volume spacers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I haven't ridden an X2, but I have to say that I've been very happy with my Topaz. It's very tunable and feels very composed over the chunk.

I really like how easy it is to either add or remove the volume spacers.
    I really comfortable with the adjustments on the X2/DHX2 series, but I think the Topaz will be pretty versatile and Iím digging the new understated graphics (less green).

My next investment in the bike really needs to be building up a new rear wheel at minimum... then rear shock.

always licking the glass
    I really comfortable with the adjustments on the X2/DHX2 series, but I think the Topaz will be pretty versatile and Iím digging the new understated graphics (less green).

My next investment in the bike really needs to be building up a new rear wheel at minimum... then rear shock.

I really like the Topaz. Which surprises me because I really hate air shocks.

Iím trying the new coil Fox (DHX2) later this month. Trying it with a standard spring, then maybe upgrading to a ti coil once I lose the weight on me I want
    Hadley hubs for sale

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234