GG Shred Dogg 2019- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

GG Shred Dogg 2019

Let the show begin!

Itís midnight in the land of gambling, so as much as Iíd love to go ride now, I gotta work in the morning, so here she is in her blacked out smokiness:

GG Shred Dogg 2019-479ddf37-8f10-4dd4-8803-9489170f16a5.jpg

I have a temp fork installed, Pike 29/27+, 140mm/42mm, same A-C as a 160mm 27.5 fork, this fork combined with the tall cup really slacks it out. Iím thinking Fox 36 150mm with the tall cup or or 160mm with the shorter cup. I was supposed to get the short cup, but they forgot 🙄

A couple PITAs when building: install drivetrain before B.B./cranks, donít cut the dropper housing too short (doh!), and wrap that chainstay like a champ. Iím not a huge fan of the cable cover, itís doable if you set the plate loosely, then stuff the cables, itís not the most stout bit if trim, but it works.

Hans Dampf 2.8 fits fine.

Seems a tad shorter reach than my Xmedium Smash, overall much more compact, better standover too.

First ride tomorrow.
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    NICE! Congrats on the build. Stoked to hear how it rides. I'm a '18 Shred Dogg and am looking to do a '19TP and also get the SD chainstays for 27.5 days! Ride report is in order after you get out

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Looks Sweet.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

always licking the glass

GG Shred Dogg 2019

Congrats!!

Iím looking forward to hearing your ride reports . Iím going to save up to have both the megatrail and Dogg stay kits and shocks, and the new Dogg sounds a bit more of a redesign than the megatrail.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL figured I would get a text from you while you were building it up. We should go shred this weekend, weather is supposed to be nasty next couple of days.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    LOL figured I would get a text from you while you were building it up. We should go shred this weekend, weather is supposed to be nasty next couple of days.
    To be fair, I did text you right before I posted pics to the forum

For sure I'm riding all weekend, riding tonight after I redo the dropper; stoopid cable management system only allows one side runs, so the dropper cable rubs the headtube. I tried to cut it short enough to avoid rub, forgetting to set seat height first. The new SD has a much lower ST; had it slammed of course, so once I pulled the post out of the frame two inches I was doomed

I did take a brief spin this morning and it feels great, not that unlike my Smash with the same wheels, though it does feel more compact.

I'm curious to see if the ride quality is different from the Smash.

Ride tonight!!
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Congrats on your new sled, Ben Ė enjoy the fun!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So tough question:

For years I rode a Pike, Mastodon, even a Revelation with little complaint. Then one day "someone" suggests that a big guy (200#) on a big bike, should be riding a more burly fork, so I got a Lyric when I built the Smash.

I ride fast and hard, but I'm an old guy, I do not ride park, mostly I do a ton of tech climbing, then ride down though it fast, love chundery stuff, biggest drops 4', think enduro light with a fair bit of climbing.

Granted, I like the Lyric and at times it does seem to ride better than the Pike; less stiction?? That said, I would happily ride a trail fork like the Pike or 34 if it was truly enough fork for me. I will need a new fork to replace my Lyric and Pike 29/27+ forks, thinking about a Fox 34 or 36 Performance Elite to match the shock on my new SD.

So, inquiring minds want to know: Do I really need a 36 or is a 34 okay? Bailey said a 34 was fine, reviewers found the Fox 34 to be stiffer than a Pike; not sure if it's true. I'm thinking 150-160mm.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Rode a little more today, figured out the difference in shock placement, upper position is shorter travel and rides like the crush mode, lower position is longer travel and rides like the plush mode.

So I moved the shock to the low position, plush mode, dropped the bars another 10mm, reduced air pressure in shock and fork, overall feel improved dramatically, though it still feels wonky with the long A-C and tall cup.

After the ride I checked the mail and my low cup had arrived, so I installed it and now the Shred Dogg feels much more lively, similar to the way the Smash felt as a 27+, though it is a little shorter in the seat to bar distance (TT).

The Fox 36 160mm/44mm arrives Tuesday, that should bring the bike up to its potential.

Rode with Greg today, he had his Revved Smash, such nice looking bikes, GG did a good job 👍
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah I have to agree that flipping the chip/position on the shock made a huge difference in how the bike felt. Probably the upper mode is meant more for buff singletrack slaying vs. the type of stuff that we normally ride, especially behind your place Ben. Crazy that the lower cup was there the entire time, but I was completely unaware of the option for a "tall cup" vs. "short cup" for the lower area. Something they only offer on the SD maybe?

Your bike sucks
    Pretty sure you can request a the lower cup you want with any rev frame. I'm planning on getting the short cup for my MegaTrail since I'm running 180mm fork and want to keep that front from going sky high. We'll see tho.

The standard recommended cup differs depending on what frame/wheelsize you are getting tho.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    So tough question:

For years I rode a Pike, Mastodon, even a Revelation with little complaint. Then one day "someone" suggests that a big guy (200#) on a big bike, should be riding a more burly fork, so I got a Lyric when I built the Smash.

I ride fast and hard, but I'm an old guy, I do not ride park, mostly I do a ton of tech climbing, then ride down though it fast, love chundery stuff, biggest drops 4', think enduro light with a fair bit of climbing.

Granted, I like the Lyric and at times it does seem to ride better than the Pike; less stiction?? That said, I would happily ride a trail fork like the Pike or 34 if it was truly enough fork for me. I will need a new fork to replace my Lyric and Pike 29/27+ forks, thinking about a Fox 34 or 36 Performance Elite to match the shock on my new SD.

So, inquiring minds want to know: Do I really need a 36 or is a 34 okay? Bailey said a 34 was fine, reviewers found the Fox 34 to be stiffer than a Pike; not sure if it's true. I'm thinking 150-160mm.
    I'm running a Fox 34 @ 150mm on a + bike. Have a Pike on another and a Lyric on the new + bike. I love the way the Fox 34 rides, but aint no way its as stiff as the Pike or Lyric. Torsionally, its OK-ish, but flexes alot under braking. I've rode all three bikes with the exact same front wheel too, so the variability in flex was the fork itself. To me, being a big guy, for the trails I ride, its noticeable.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yup, even the Pike is noticeable flexier than the Lyric.

I got a 36 on the way 👍

Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    I'm running a Fox 34 @ 150mm on a + bike. Have a Pike on another and a Lyric on the new + bike. I love the way the Fox 34 rides, but aint no way its as stiff as the Pike or Lyric. Torsionally, its OK-ish, but flexes alot under braking. I've rode all three bikes with the exact same front wheel too, so the variability in flex was the fork itself. To me, being a big guy, for the trails I ride, its noticeable.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

always licking the glass
    Yup, even the Pike is noticeable flexier than the Lyric.

I got a 36 on the way
    I found that moving the fork from a lyrik to a 36 made a huge difference in control and stiffness.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    So I put in my preorder and plan on going with the Shred Dogg with a somewhat custom build. Talking with them, I was told that they are finally starting production on the Size 2 this week, which is good because that is the size I am going to have to go with. (5í9Ē with a shorter inseam. Yeah, I am not tall.).

Anyways, for you guys that have been here on the GG forums for a while, they told me that they think they could have my bike to me by end June/first July. Is that at all realistic here or no? I normally wouldnít care, but I have a trip at that time for mountain biking and I need a new bike to go with. Lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    I found that moving the fork from a lyrik to a 36 made a huge difference in control and stiffness.
    According to this testing - the Lyrik is the stiffest
    https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspe...r-1102541.html

Quote Originally Posted by FishMD View Post

Anyways, for you guys that have been here on the GG forums for a while, they told me that they think they could have my bike to me by end June/first July. Is that at all realistic here or no? I normally wouldnít care, but I have a trip at that time for mountain biking and I need a new bike to go with. Lol.
    I found they are pretty reasonable with their timelines. The problem is any custom stuff you order might not show up in time and delay the entire bike. I ordered a DVO Topaz and at that time there was a shortage so my bike was "done" but not shipped. I asked them to replace it with a SD coil so it could be shipped out.

So, the more custom you make it, the more chances for delays.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So I put in my preorder and plan on going with the Shred Dogg with a somewhat custom build. Talking with them, I was told that they are finally starting production on the Size 2 this week, which is good because that is the size I am going to have to go with. (5í9Ē with a shorter inseam. Yeah, I am not tall.).

Hmmm, well I think it's always good to use the past to predict the future.

I waited 11.5 weeks for my Size 3 frame set, no build, just the frame and shock. Shipped with the wrong head set cup, so add another week to correct that.

I was told 4-6 weeks, ordered a few weeks after the initial show and after they had started molding frames.

Granted the demand outstripped their capacity, they have since added staff, increased days of operation, and of course they have improved efficiency.

If you ordered today, complete, and you don't ask for any wierd stuff, I'd double their expected lag time and I'm sure you'll be safe. What did you order?

That said, I would not sell your existing sled until the bike shows.

Was it worth the wait?

Abso****inglutely!
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

always licking the glass
    Hmmm, well I think it's always good to use the past to predict the future.

I waited 11.5 weeks for my Size 3 frame set, no build, just the frame and shock. Shipped with the wrong head set cup, so add another week to correct that.

I was told 4-6 weeks, ordered a few weeks after the initial show and after they had started molding frames.

Granted the demand outstripped their capacity, they have since added staff, increased days of operation, and of course they have improved efficiency.

If you ordered today, complete, and you don't ask for any wierd stuff, I'd double their expected lag time and I'm sure you'll be safe. What did you order?

That said, I would not sell your existing sled until the bike shows.

Was it worth the wait?

Abso****inglutely!
    I agree with Ben. Iím expecting my new Shred Dogg in May, most likely the end of May. Itís a size 2, frame with rear shock only. In the meantime, Iím riding my existing Shred Dogg/Megatrail, and making sure I have all the parts and pieces for the new build.

The delay did me good, because it allowed me to switch from a megatrail to a Shred Dogg without much hassle.

My aluminum frame is already spoken foróa friend of mine bought it, and Iím very fortunate theyíre being patient while I ride it. Theyíre being really understanding about the new frames taking time to get out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Nice, I am planning on going with the Size 2 Shred Dogg as well. As to the details of the build, they have not been finalized yet. I just paid the preorder fee so far, then I guess when it is roughly 4 weeks out from building, they will contact me to hammer out the details. At least that is what I gather from the website.

As to the build I am thinking of doing, Cane Creek Helm fork with Fox DPX2 shock. Industry Nine stem and wheelset (probably going with custom gold color as I think black with gold is sick looking.). Will stick with the SRAM GX stuff as this will be good for my needs. SRAM RS brakes I think I will stick with as well.

I actually wonder if just getting the frame and sourcing the other parts on my own would be faster though now that I think about it...Hum. Never fully built up a bike on my own though.

mtbr member
    I actually wonder if just getting the frame and sourcing the other parts on my own would be faster though now that I think about it...Hum. Never fully built up a bike on my own though.
    If you give GG your desired build list they'll let you know if any of the items you want are going to be a problem/delay to get. At that point you can either change your spec or source on your own depending what makes sense to you.

I'm happy building up my bikes and usually do so, but it was nice for a change to just pull my Smash out of the box and have it nearly ready to ride with next to no effort on my part.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Short-Change-Hero
    I can echo what Ben said... Ordered my Size 3 days after release and total time from order to my doorstep was 10wks when original lead time was 4-6wks. BUT they did just start the whole thing so I expected there to be some delay. They were very communicative during that time as to what was going on and honest with me, which I appreciate.

If you have a hard deadline that you "need" the bike by I would let them know ASAP if you have already ordered so that way there is no confusion or issues. Ask them if your custom parts may cause delays in that and then adjust as necessary.

As Ben said, while the wait sucked was it worth it... ABSOFUKINGLUTELY!!!!!

mtbr member
    I've heard that if GG took stopped taking orders today it would take a year to work through what they have booked. It is going to be a loooong wait for a few people.

I like goin' fast
    Quote Originally Posted by polarflux View Post
    I've heard that if GG took stopped taking orders today it would take a year to work through what they have booked. It is going to be a loooong wait for a few people.
    That couldn't be farther from the truth. We had a 2-3 week setback at the very beginning and are already back down to around 6-8 week lead times on all incoming orders.

Most of the Revved bikes are tearing up the trails within 2-3 weeks of coming off the Frame Maker 3000.
    Guerrilla Gravity
    Mountain bikes made for goin' fast. Handbuilt in Colorado.

mtbr member
    Any reviews on this bike and comparisons to other bikes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by I_AM View Post
    Any reviews on this bike and comparisons to other bikes?
    Well, I may be the only one riding a Reved Shred Dogg who also posts to this forum...

Compared to what other bikes?

I don't think there are reviews other than the one from testing while GG was in Texas.

Simple Google search:

Guerilla Gravity's 2019 Carbon Smash | First Look - YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skgzQyReJZU
    Video for guerilla gravity review 2019▶ 8:43
    Jan 30, 2019 - Uploaded by Pinkbike
    Carbon fibre, made in America, and affordable. Guerilla Gravity is shaking things up for 2019 starting with The ...
    Guerrilla Gravity Goes Carbon. 2019 Line Up First Ride Review and Info
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUVSxr5p-OI
    Video for guerilla gravity review 2019▶ 4:22
    Jan 31, 2019 - Uploaded by The Loam Wolf
    While most USA manufactured aluminum bike brands are happy in their niche market, the Colorado brand ...
    Guerrilla Gravity | Reviews for Revved Carbon & Modular Frame ...
    https://ridegg.com/revved-press
    Video for guerilla gravity review 2019▶ 18:35
    Jan 30, 2019 - Uploaded by Pinkbike
    Check out press and reviews for Guerrilla Gravity's Revved Carbon Technology and Modular Frame Platform.
    How does Guerrilla Gravity Make Affordable Carbon Bikes in the USA ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqa2oG5Uhys
    Video for guerilla gravity review 2019
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Short-Change-Hero
    There are a couple other individual user videos out there for those that are on Revved carbon frames (either owned or were able to demo). But really you have to realize that the first frame didn't hit the outside user (outside of media) until probably early April or late March. So some are still in the tuning phase before they are going to give info. On top of that, not everyone is a social media fan (forums, instatwattergoogleface, what have you) so that alone will limit the number of reviews, then you have to remember that up until recently not many people knew about GG. I didn't know about them until I came across the 2017 Bible of Bikes videos from Bike Mag. They liked the TP and Smash but didn't give it any really good info, personal note I find most of their review pedantic as they are obviously big name big brand fans, so I took it with a grain of salt.

It wasn't until I was able to throw a leg over one (Thanks again Ben and Scott) that I really fell in love with the bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Help me, someone help me, I'm lusting over the Trust fork.

I know, it's wasteful and wanton, but I just know it'll be the best forking fork ever!
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Are the Revved frames like, quite heavy?
    The published weights of ther frame only are the only thing giving me pause. Yes i'm a WW.
    Please advise.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    Help me, someone help me, I'm lusting over the Trust fork.

I know, it's wasteful and wanton, but I just know it'll be the best forking fork ever!
    Yea you have a forking fork problem!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Yea you have a forking fork problem!!
    Yeah but, that kind of problem might be okay, of course Iím not a dentist sobthat sucker has got to be discounted.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Build: Size 3 Long, "low cup", Fox Performance Elite Float DPS; Fox 36 Fit4, 160mm travel/44mm offset; GX 11sp drivetrain with 165mm GX Cranks; DT Swiss 35/Scraper i45/HD 2.8; One Up 170mm dropper, Chromag cockpit.

I'm 6', 33" pants inseam, 195#, bike feels good in the long position with the seat centered, very similar feel to the ExtraMedium Smash. Only change as delivered from GG: I wrapped the chainstay. I don't have a weight, don't care

GG Shred Dogg 2019-7810c090-dc5f-46aa-86e5-af3d8bbd3aca.jpg
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 05-08-2019 at 01:07 PM.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Heavy compared to what?

6.5# for a burly frame, that doesnít seem like a lot, though my FS XC bike frame is 4#...

Fugitive is 7.5#, Sentinel is 7#, Ripmo is 6.1#

I kinda think this kind of bike is not for weight weenies because these genre is driven by durability, stiffness, robust suspension, and long slack geometry.

Maybe something along the lines of a Blur or SB100 would be better 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    The published weights of ther frame only are the only thing giving me pause. Yes i'm a WW.
    Please advise.

Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Please advise.
    The GG bike builder weights are pretty accurate. If you can't handle those weighs than buy something else.

Personally I think the weight of GG frames is pretty good given their performance/capabilities and compared to other similar options from other companies.

My GG is heavier than my last two bikes and is also the one I enjoy riding [up and down] the most. I could build it lighter, but it performs so well as is and my times on climbs I have done many times are as good or better than my previous lighter bikes so there just doesn't seem to be any point.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Heavy compared to what?

6.5# for a burly frame, that doesnít seem like a lot, though my FS XC bike frame is 4#...

Fugitive is 7.5#, Sentinel is 7#, Ripmo is 6.1#

I kinda think this kind of bike is not for weight weenies because these genre is driven by durability, stiffness, robust suspension, and long slack geometry.

Maybe something along the lines of a Blur or SB100 would be better
    Fair enough, it's for my wife's trail bike and she weighs 120# and isn't very strong. So weight does matter. But she desires progressive geo as her old school geo bike isn't to her liking.
    My large Foxy 29 frame with shock weighed sub 6#s so I guess that was my basis. But I don't want to spring for a 27.5 Foxy SL just because they are stupid money. Was searching out alternatives with good geo, and price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Fair enough, it's for my wife's trail bike and she weighs 120# and isn't very strong. So weight does matter. But she desires progressive geo as her old school geo bike isn't to her liking.
    My large Foxy 29 frame with shock weighed sub 6#s so I guess that was my basis. But I don't want to spring for a 27.5 Foxy SL just because they are stupid money. Was searching out alternatives with good geo, and price.

Unless you are going to get a crazy light XC hardtail don't bother looking at the weight. Pretty much everything is around 30lbs these days. My AL Trail Pistol comes in at 30lbs. It was 31 with the stock Maxxis tires. Talking to to Bobby, he said a new carbon frame would be about . 5lbs lighter. That is on par with everything else on the market.

My 11yr daughter has a trek Superfly 26. The bike is close to 30lbs and she weighs less then 100lbs. She Powers up climbs faster than some adults.

If your worried about it being 'hard' for her. Put GX Eagle on it with a 30t front chain ring. The bonus with GG you can get all this built into your build and not swap out stuff later.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah these things aren't weight weenie bikes for sure.
    Mine is built up as follows;
    - Size 3 frame with low cup, FSA headset and Shelter tap all over
    - RS Lyrik RC2 with MRP Ramp Control at 160mm
    - Code R brakes (200f/180r)
    - RS Super Deluxe Coil w/ 400# spring
    - Sensus Meaty Paws grips
    - Lots of headset spacers!
    - SDG Tellis 150mm dropper
    - SDG Radar GG saddle
    - DT Swiss M1900 wheels (soon to be converted to star ratchet system)
    - Vittoria Goma 2.4 TNT front
    - Maxxis Aggressor 2.3 Exo rear
    - SRAM NX Eagle Drivetrain
    - OneUP BashGuide
    - DMR Vault pedals
    - NUTZ pack w/ 29er tube, 2 Pedros levers, 2 CO2 cartridges and head
    - Zefal bottle cage

All that on my buddies Feedback scale came to 37.06#, however the weight is not representative of how it feels as it pedals just as well and as lightly as my 31# aluminum trail bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

120# ain't much, I assume she's smaller in stature, so it's kinda a toss up though if it was my wife I might look into a lighter option ... it's just so hard to judge a frame entirely by weight. I can say with near certainty that the best riding bike is not the lightest.

Things that factor into weight: More travel weighs more. Burly weighs more. Bigger wheels weigh more.

If you could get her into a less expensive 120/130-140 frame that had good geo, carbon, then spend the money you saved on lightweight components and wheels, you could build her an awesome trail bike that's not to expensive and no too heavy.

My fav bike in this ^ category is the new Ripley, ain't seen one live, but man that bike looks sweet, hits the travel just right, 29er, super lightweight yet burly frame, only 3k for the frame so not out of the ballpark for high end carbon.

I only wish Fox would make the SC34 in a 130-140 fork, that would be the bomb.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I wouldn't worry about it. Isn't a small water bottle (filled) over a pound? I personally don't feel a difference in riding between the times I go out with a t-shirt, no tools, and no water, vs. the times I go out with 2L of water, food bars, flask, tools, more clothing, and that difference is easily close to 10lbs. The only time I notice bike weight is when I pick them up in the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by burkawitz206 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. Isn't a small water bottle (filled) over a pound? I personally don't feel a difference in riding between the times I go out with a t-shirt, no tools, and no water, vs. the times I go out with 2L of water, food bars, flask, tools, more clothing, and that difference is easily close to 10lbs. The only time I notice bike weight is when I pick them up in the parking lot.
    I don't know .... I think I'm faster riding naked

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    I don't know .... I think I'm faster riding naked

Oh now doubt, faster yet when I'm being chased
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Please advise.

I caught my MT on a meat forum bitching about how much it's rider weighs...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Khai View Post
    I caught my MT on a meat forum bitching about how much it's rider weighs...
    Hah, took me 3x reading that one.

Weight weenism is a dark rabbit hole my friends.

In my head, as a strong 180# rider, I can feel Ti rotor bolts (jk). So my wife being like half as strong...

mtbr member
    Oh now doubt, faster yet when I'm being chased
    Nothing better for setting PRs than a charging grizzly.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

No known cure
    Hah, took me 3x reading that one.

Weight weenism is a dark rabbit hole my friends.

In my head, as a strong 180# rider, I can feel Ti rotor bolts (jk). So my wife being like half as strong...

You know you're a real weight weenie when you only have three Ti rotor bolts.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    You know you're a real weight weenie when you only have three Ti rotor bolts.
    I draw the line when stuff isn't safe or doesn't work. I run a DH layup rear rim and tire noodles front and rear for instance cause experience has taught me. Still my large Foxy is at 28.1# and will soon be a bit lighter.
    Anyways, I'd like to hear more about ya'lls rad bikes. Still deciding.
    Anyway set one up as a 29/27.5?

mtbr member
    I know there's videos out there but not on the Shred Dogg itself. I want to know about that bike and how it rides not a Smash or Megatrail.

The numbers of the Shred Dogg looks like it would be a fun bike with the short rear end.

battle stag commander
    Im doing a megatrail with a 170mm 29 fork, easy to swap front wheels. Using the zero stack cup, instead of the 14mm creates difference in stack height (~25mm with the 29 wheel, 2.5" tire), but a manageable one. I also have a shock left over that would allow me to get a shred dogg seatstay kit and run that combo as well.

Havent ridden it yet! slated to get the frame next week!

On weight- Worry thee not. Santa cruz, transition, kona, ibis, Pivot, Scott, and so many others, run size large carbon trail/enduro frames right in the 6.5 # neighborhood. GG is not really heavy in the class at all. If you spend $9600, like a top end Pivot, Specialized, Santa cruz, or Yeti, you can get a 27# bike from a 6.5# frame. Thats as light as it gets these days. anything else is an xc bike, with sucky geo, or a hardtail. Indeed for a $9600 SC hightower reserve cc XX1 at 28.5#, I feel like I could go a pound or so lighter for that money with a GG frame!

No known cure
    I draw the line when stuff isn't safe or doesn't work. I run a DH layup rear rim and tire noodles front and rear for instance cause experience has taught me. Still my large Foxy is at 28.1# and will soon be a bit lighter.
    Anyways, I'd like to hear more about ya'lls rad bikes. Still deciding.
    Anyway set one up as a 29/27.5?

I've never done that but I have read about a pro doing it. I do have a bike that everything that has a thread is Ti, even the spokes.

always licking the glass
    I've never done that but I have read about a pro doing it. I do have a bike that everything that has a thread is Ti, even the spokes.
    Did it save a lot of weight? ti is really cool, but man, it's not cheap stuff.

I still lust over the idea of having a ti frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    More riding, getting the suspension figured out, gun bike, different than the Smash, not quite as much of a plow, more playful, a tad twitchier.

Climbs friggen awesome, better than the Smash, no need for lockout, just sit and spin. Only thing is the shorter chainstays require some extra english to prevent spin.

So I was comparing STA to my Signal Peak and to my buddyís Hightower, man, GG really went steep on the seat tube, itís not a bad thing at all, but itís clearly steeper than most bikes.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

always licking the glass
    More riding, getting the suspension figured out, gun bike, different than the Smash, not quite as much of a plow, more playful, a tad twitchier.

Climbs friggen awesome, better than the Smash, no need for lockout, just sit and spin. Only thing is the shorter chainstays require some extra english to prevent spin.

So I was comparing STA to my Signal Peak and to my buddyís Hightower, man, GG really went steep on the seat tube, itís not a bad thing at all, but itís clearly steeper than most bikes.
    Thanks for the ride reports. This is helping me for what to look for when mine comes up.

Are you using trail or gravity mode? My understanding it's more like plush/crush mode than the original Shred Dogg which was more like how the Megatrail adjusts it's gravity/trail modes.

What fork and what travel are you using for it?

mtbr member
    I noticed that. I'm not actually sure I could ride a 2019 GG bike given that I feel pretty maxed out in terms of how steep a STA I can tolerate on my 2018 Smash with a fork that's a bit longer than spec'd on the geo chart and a 25mm offset dropper - both slacking out the perceived STA.

OTOH maybe that's a good thing. I really have no reason to not keep riding the metal Smash for many more years!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Well, the shock mounts are supposed to vary travel and feel, but not geo. The upper mount which is shorter travel, felt much more firm so I changed to the lower mount which feels much more plush. The difference in the two positions is much more obvious on the new SD than it was on the old Smash.

Iím running the DPS Float Performance Elite shock and Factory Fit 4 36 fork. Iíd say that the suspension feel is very much a Guerilla Gravity feel, that was not lost on the new frame, climbing is superb, reach and ETT are very similar to my Smash.

I do find the SD a little more twitchy and responsive than the Smash, dropping pressures and using minimal rebound and compression has mellowed out the ride, I kinda miss my coil...

The ST is shorter than my Smash, enough so that I could get a 200mm dropper, thinking One Up; just as soon as itís released 😃

Thanks for the ride reports. This is helping me for what to look for when mine comes up.

Are you using trail or gravity mode? My understanding it's more like plush/crush mode than the original Shred Dogg which was more like how the Megatrail adjusts it's gravity/trail modes.

What fork and what travel are you using for it?
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Bike, seriously, I really like my Smash, got some mixed feelings about the swap. I think the SD climbs better and is stiffer in the rear triangle than my Smash, weight is comparable, only gain/loss is the difference in handling.

I need some more time to adjust to the SD, I suspect Iíll get a coil as that was my favorite feel on the Smash. Also, damn, the Fox 36 is burly, so much stiffer than a Pike and Iím convinced itís stiffer than a Lyric, as point and shoot as any fork Iíve owned.

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I noticed that. I'm not actually sure I could ride a 2019 GG bike given that I feel pretty maxed out in terms of how steep a STA I can tolerate on my 2018 Smash with a fork that's a bit longer than spec'd on the geo chart and a 25mm offset dropper - both slacking out the perceived STA.

OTOH maybe that's a good thing. I really have no reason to not keep riding the metal Smash for many more years!
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Bike, seriously, I really like my Smash, got some mixed feelings about the swap. I think the SD climbs better and is stiffer in the rear triangle than my Smash, weight is comparable, only gain/loss is the difference in handling.

I need some more time to adjust to the SD, I suspect Iíll get a coil as that was my favorite feel on the Smash. Also, damn, the Fox 36 is burly, so much stiffer than a Pike and Iím convinced itís stiffer than a Lyric, as point and shoot as any fork Iíve owned.
    Well, I think the real purpose of a SD is a play bike where you go max fun on every trail feature along the way. Maybe not the fastest down the hill, but loads of smiles along the way as you boost off every little root and rock you can find.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Well, I think the real purpose of a SD is a play bike where you go max fun on every trail feature along the way. Maybe not the fastest down the hill, but loads of smiles along the way as you boost off every little root and rock you can find.
    That's what is drawing me to the bike. I ride for fun and hitting all the features not to worried about plowing down the fastest.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    That's what is drawing me to the bike. I ride for fun and hitting all the features not to worried about plowing down the fastest.
    Same here. I rode the Megatrail and it's great at plowing, but I wanted something much more playful, especially for my riding style. I'm all about the smiles and boosts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    120# ain't much, I assume she's smaller in stature, so it's kinda a toss up though if it was my wife I might look into a lighter option ... it's just so hard to judge a frame entirely by weight. I can say with near certainty that the best riding bike is not the lightest.

Things that factor into weight: More travel weighs more. Burly weighs more. Bigger wheels weigh more.

If you could get her into a less expensive 120/130-140 frame that had good geo, carbon, then spend the money you saved on lightweight components and wheels, you could build her an awesome trail bike that's not to expensive and no too heavy.

My fav bike in this ^ category is the new Ripley, ain't seen one live, but man that bike looks sweet, hits the travel just right, 29er, super lightweight yet burly frame, only 3k for the frame so not out of the ballpark for high end carbon.

I only wish Fox would make the SC34 in a 130-140 fork, that would be the bomb.
    All good suggestions.

I was learning towards the SD because modern geo, but also I can transfer lots of parts from her current 27.5" bike, in particular the high end perfect condition CF wheels.

The couple of things that didn't quite suit me were the frame weight, but also the STA. I believe in steep STAs particularly for the riding I do but I feel over about 76 degrees is too steep for someone that is essentially a casual trail rider and doesn't do lots of really steep climbs.

So I made a deal on a 2018 Demo Foxy RRSL size small today. Currently it weighs just 27# and will get lighter once I get ahold of it and the Geo is exactly what I wanted for her. The more 'central' location that Mondraker's place the rider in almost is more beneficial to females, maybe because they have little upper body weight and have more weight near their hips.

If I was buying a new bike for myself I'd almost certainly buy a GG.

Thanks for answering my questions guys and good luck with the rad bikes.

mtbr member
    ...not to worried about plowing down the fastest.
    GG Shred Dogg 2019-sd.jpg

I hear you, but when you look down between your legs at your SD it doesn't say "I like to have fun." Be ready for the speed to come anyways.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Enjoy the new bike. I ride GG, but Iím always lusting over other bikes

All good suggestions.

I was learning towards the SD because modern geo, but also I can transfer lots of parts from her current 27.5" bike, in particular the high end perfect condition CF wheels.

The couple of things that didn't quite suit me were the frame weight, but also the STA. I believe in steep STAs particularly for the riding I do but I feel over about 76 degrees is too steep for someone that is essentially a casual trail rider and doesn't do lots of really steep climbs.

So I made a deal on a 2018 Demo Foxy RRSL size small today. Currently it weighs just 27# and will get lighter once I get ahold of it and the Geo is exactly what I wanted for her. The more 'central' location that Mondraker's place the rider in almost is more beneficial to females, maybe because they have little upper body weight and have more weight near their hips.

If I was buying a new bike for myself I'd almost certainly buy a GG.

Thanks for answering my questions guys and good luck with the rad bikes.

Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Let the show begin!

Seems a tad shorter reach than my Xmedium Smash, overall much more compact, better standover too.

How tall are you btw. I am on an XtraMedium Smash with a 30mm stem, and like this fitment. Would not be crazy about running a 60mm+ stem.

always licking the glass

GG Shred Dogg 2019

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sd.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	1250794

I hear you, but when you look down between your legs at your SD it doesn't say "I like to have fun." Be ready for the speed to come anyways.
    Yep even with the 2018 itís a fast bike

I was riding mine as a megatrail for a while but converted back to the Shred Dogg. Still fast like the sticker says.

I do want my 2019 though. Sooooon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    6í, long arms, normal torso, average inseam.

Iím not totally sure the size 3 long is shorter than an Xmedium, it just felt that way at first because the seated position is further forward due to the steeper STA. I like it now, very stable while remaining quite playful

Iím riding with seat centered, 35mm stem, 15mm x 750mm riser bar, 170mm dropper with 50mm showing. For sure Iím gonna get a 200mm dropper.

I just swapped tires, DHF/HR II, more grip and faster than the HDs.

Quote Originally Posted by sutter2k View Post
    How tall are you btw. I am on an XtraMedium Smash with a 30mm stem, and like this fitment. Would not be crazy about running a 60mm+ stem.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I just installed a Marzocchi Bomber CR Coil Shock, running in plush mode (140mm travel) started with a 400# spring which was waaaay to soft, bumped to a 450# spring and it was still too soft, sag actually looked okay even on the 400# but I can easilly fully compress the shock just hopping around in my garage.

Strangely, on my 2018 Smash in plush mode, a 400# spring was tad soft on my RS Super Deluxe and a 450# was a tad firm; I rode the 400# mostly.

So my question is has the suspension design changed somehow? A steel spring is a steel springs, variations in stiffness are normal, but the shock itself really should make the coil that much softer.

Initial setting are 1/3 compresison, 1/3 damping.

I'll go riding tonight just to see how it feels and to see if I bottom out hard off small jumps.

I will say that just from a brief roll around, a coil makes the bike so much more plush.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    So my question is has the suspension design changed somehow? A steel spring is a steel springs, variations in stiffness are normal, but the shock itself really should make the coil that much softer.
    I got my RS SD coil tuned by Vorsprung and couldn't ride the 450lb spring** I rode most of last year on the same shock. The difference was just how aggressive the stock damping was on the SD.

So when you are comparing shock A, B and C it's not just the spring that matters, but the spring and the damper.

** - I could ride it, but I'd have to jack up the LSC on the SD which I don't want to do as I like a light damper/heavier spring.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    What Vic said, and also I think some of the GG bikes ride high in the travel because of the anti-squat making for a finicky sag setup. I was having a similar problem setting up my CCDB Air where if the sag was correct I was blowing through travel and the shock felt dead. Say like 18 or 19mm. If I set the shock at 15mm sag I get full travel and the bike feels much more lively. After talking to Cane Creek about my situation the person I talked to said to make sure and dump the gears when setting sag to minimize the anti-squat feedback. That is sage advice.

No known cure
    Be aware if you're too aggressive finding the correct spring rate, the spring will deflect and damage the shock body. This was airing out a set of six foot tall stairs to flat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Short-Change-Hero
    Be aware if you're too aggressive finding the correct spring rate, the spring will deflect and damage the shock body. This was airing out a set of six foot tall stairs to flat.
    Kinda hard to see the pic Vader, super small and not expanding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes, but no, a spring can be affected by damping and compression, but a spring is just a spring, damping and compression control the response but do not change the rate.

A lighter spring rate requires less control, a higher spring rate requires more control.

If you have a shock tuned and the damper circuit is opened up, you either need to dial in more damping or increase spring rate.

I just rode the 450# spring, it was fine as long as I stayed on the ground, felt much more supple than the DPX, but a couple small jumps and I was bottoming out the spring.

I have a 500# and 550# springs on the way, once I pick a spring Iíll either ride it or use it as a guide to pick an Fox SL spring or an MRP Progressive spring.

I got my RS SD coil tuned by Vorsprung and couldn't ride the 450lb spring** I rode most of last year on the same shock. The difference was just how aggressive the stock damping was on the SD.

So when you are comparing shock A, B and C it's not just the spring that matters, but the spring and the damper.

** - I could ride it, but I'd have to jack up the LSC on the SD which I don't want to do as I like a light damper/heavier spring.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    I just installed a Marzocchi Bomber CR Coil Shock, running in plush mode (140mm travel) started with a 400# spring which was waaaay to soft, bumped to a 450# spring and it was still too soft, sag actually looked okay even on the 400# but I can easilly fully compress the shock just hopping around in my garage.

Strangely, on my 2018 Smash in plush mode, a 400# spring was tad soft on my RS Super Deluxe and a 450# was a tad firm; I rode the 400# mostly.

You asked this question ^^^. I explained why that would be the case. I have no idea what you are trying to say in your latest post.

The damper + the spring rate determine the ride. Your old shock was more heavily damped so you were able to run a softer spring. The new shock is more lightly damped and you prefer running a stiffer spring. Nothing shocking here. #PUNintended

FWIW - compression and rebound are both a function of damper. I'm not sure what you are trying to say by "damping and compression". Those are the same thing.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Interesting to read the fitment related discussion.

My Smash was a Extra Medium, 50mm stem, 15mm Offset Post but with saddle slid the whole way forward to mimic 0 offset. Honestly, I think it was a bit too stretched out. I was looking at 35mm stems before I sold it.

I recently rode a Revved Smash, 35mm stem, 0-offset post with saddle slid the whole way forward (effectively a +15 offset).

It felt pretty darn short. Not uncomfortable, per say, but significantly shorter than my XM. I'm thinking that on my Revved Trail Pistol, with my old cockpit, it should be close enough.

If an XM owner was running a 35mm stem and 0-offset post, I'd think going to a Size 4 would be a mistake, but we (and I) won't know until I can ride a Size 4.

I have a feeling there will be lots of owners swapping frames in the next year, so maybe that's one advantage in waiting for a Size 4. You'd likely find plenty of Size 3 owners looking for something longer.

EDIT: Another thing to keep in mind is we never really knew the exactly geometry measurements of the Extra Medium. As a result, the best way to compare the two is the classic "bar stem center to seat post center" measurement.
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    A spring is a spring.

No worries

You asked this question ^^^. I explained why that would be the case. I have no idea what you are trying to say in your latest post.

The damper + the spring rate determine the ride. Your old shock was more heavily damped so you were able to run a softer spring. The new shock is more lightly damped and you prefer running a stiffer spring. Nothing shocking here. #PUNintended

FWIW - compression and rebound are both a function of damper. I'm not sure what you are trying to say by "damping and compression". Those are the same thing.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I rode a XM Smash with a 35mm stem and it fit perfect, riding a Size 3 Revved Shred Dogg in the long setting with a 35mm stem and at times it feels longer than my XM Smash. I got my seat set forward now. No way Iíd consider anything longer.

I think it takes time to adjust to a new frame, there are nuances like a steeper a STA that change how it feels; no doubt in my mind, the aluminum and carbon frames fit differently. In the first few rides it felt like the Revved SD was shorter than my XM Smash but now it feels the same or a tad longer depending on the day.

I have made mistakes in the past with getting a short frame, now leaning toward longer is better; even tried to ride an XL Signal Peak and it was waaay to big. I have also ridden a medium MT and it was too short. My buddy has a Size 3 Smash which fits the same as my SD, just feels taller with 29Ē wheels.

So Iím pretty happy with a Size 3. Iím 6í, long arms, normal leg and torso.

Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Interesting to read the fitment related discussion.

My Smash was a Extra Medium, 50mm stem, 15mm Offset Post but with saddle slid the whole way forward to mimic 0 offset. Honestly, I think it was a bit too stretched out. I was looking at 35mm stems before I sold it.

I recently rode a Revved Smash, 35mm stem, 0-offset post with saddle slid the whole way forward (effectively a +15 offset).

It felt pretty darn short. Not uncomfortable, per say, but significantly shorter than my XM. I'm thinking that on my Revved Trail Pistol, with my old cockpit, it should be close enough.

If an XM owner was running a 35mm stem and 0-offset post, I'd think going to a Size 4 would be a mistake, but we (and I) won't know until I can ride a Size 4.

I have a feeling there will be lots of owners swapping frames in the next year, so maybe that's one advantage in waiting for a Size 4. You'd likely find plenty of Size 3 owners looking for something longer.

EDIT: Another thing to keep in mind is we never really knew the exactly geometry measurements of the Extra Medium. As a result, the best way to compare the two is the classic "bar stem center to seat post center" measurement.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Bomber CR update: this thread thing rides great! The spring is a little light, waiting on a couple beefier springs to arrive. Iím running 1/3 damping and 1/3 LSC, no wallowing or bob, really feels better in all ways. It might be a little less poppy, but it is so much more supple and smooth.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Ben, are you running the 130 or 140 mode?

Does a coil have enough room to work in that size (55mm stroke)? I guess by that logic if a coil was less than ideal due to short stroke, an air shock would magnify those issues.

I'm still debating about spending the money on a coil for my Pistol in such a short stroke - although after demoing a Smash with a quality shock, it was pretty apparent that quality over quantity may be the ticket - my Smash with the Deluxe rode well (better than all previous bikes I had ridden with the same shock) but not nearly as well as the Demo Revved with CCDBA.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm running my Revved SD in 140mm mode (Plush), it's a better ride quality for this old guy

As to the coil working with a short stroke, sure, it's just a shock with a steel spring vs an air spring. I ran a CC IL Coil (short stroke, no resevoir) on my Fatillac and it was a great ride.

I don't think air shocks work poorly, in fact some folks feel that air shocks have gotten so good that it's hard to tell them apart from spring shocks.

Clearly there is a weight advantage to air, a durability and price advantage to coil, the ride quality is the deciding factor for most folks.

If you have ridden a coil spring and liked it, then you'd probably like one on your Pistol. I'm on my third bike with a coil, also have bikes with air, it kinda depends on your use and on the bike. I didn't like the MRP Ribbon Coil on my Smash, N = 1.

I really think the GG bikes ride best with a coil, N = 3.

If you don't want to spend a lot, the Bomber CR and coil will run you less that $350 new, that's pretty durn cheap for a really nice shock. It doesn't have a climb lever, but with GG bikes I have never found I need to use it; air or coil. I have found that the Revved SD needs more spring rate than the aluminum Smash, not sure if this is true for all REvved bikes.

To coil or not to coil? From the Loam Wolf review on the Fox 36 coil conversion:

"So is the $389 ACS3 coil conversion kit worth the cost? That depends entirely on you as a rider. In order for this kit to make sense, small bump compliance has to be at the forefront of your priorities. If youíre willing to trade some of your tuning flexibility and warranty for velcro like front end traction in rough terrain, this kit is a clear yes. Meticulously designed and engineered, this USA made kit goes in and works like it was made to be there from the factory. PUSH has never let us down on any of their products. The real deal, this kit is just as high quality as everything else that leaves their Colorado factory. Life is all about tradeoffs however, and just like everything else, this kit forces riders to make a choice. For some, itís best to just stay with the air sprung fork thatís on the bike. For others, the greener grass of a buttery smooth coil spring will be too much to resist! Put in the effort, and this kit will reward."

For me, this ^ pretty much sums up my coil experience and where I think coils work best for recreational riding.... which has me thinking about converting my Fox 36 and trying a coil fork again.

Ben, are you running the 130 or 140 mode?

Does a coil have enough room to work in that size (55mm stroke)? I guess by that logic if a coil was less than ideal due to short stroke, an air shock would magnify those issues.

I'm still debating about spending the money on a coil for my Pistol in such a short stroke - although after demoing a Smash with a quality shock, it was pretty apparent that quality over quantity may be the ticket - my Smash with the Deluxe rode well (better than all previous bikes I had ridden with the same shock) but not nearly as well as the Demo Revved with CCDBA.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So the Shred is quite a bit more versatile than I'd first thought: Rekon 29 x 2.6

GG Shred Dogg 2019-img_2592.jpg

GG Shred Dogg 2019-img_2593-1-.jpg

Pictures are with the suspension FULLY COMPRESSED, suspension set up in Plush mode (140mm travel), fits with room to spare (+15mm to ST, +10mm to swingarm.

I didn't run the wheels because my Fox 36 27.5 fork doesn't take a 29er, but I may need to change that ... I'm thinking of getting a Fox 36 29 x 160mm, then run a low cup; currently run a tall cup.

She'll run on the tall side, but for some kinds of riding that might not be a bad thing: Pedal Clearance!!
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 07-24-2019 at 12:19 PM.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I have only got two rides in on my revved Pistola but I believe they need more spring as well compared to my alloy one.
    I'm running my Revved SD in 140mm mode (Plush), it's a better ride quality for this old guy

As to the coil working with a short stroke, sure, it's just a shock with a steel spring vs an air spring. I ran a CC IL Coil (short stroke, no resevoir) on my Fatillac and it was a great ride.

I don't think air shocks work poorly, in fact some folks feel that air shocks have gotten so good that it's hard to tell them apart from spring shocks.

Clearly there is a weight advantage to air, a durability and price advantage to coil, the ride quality is the deciding factor for most folks.

If you have ridden a coil spring and liked it, then you'd probably like one on your Pistol. I'm on my third bike with a coil, also have bikes with air, it kinda depends on your use and on the bike. I didn't like the MRP Ribbon Coil on my Smash, N = 1.

I really think the GG bikes ride best with a coil, N = 3.

If you don't want to spend a lot, the Bomber CR and coil will run you less that $350 new, that's pretty durn cheap for a really nice shock. It doesn't have a climb lever, but with GG bikes I have never found I need to use it; air or coil. I have found that the Revved SD needs more spring rate than the aluminum Smash, not sure if this is true for all REvved bikes.

To coil or not to coil? From the Loam Wolf review on the Fox 36 coil conversion:

"So is the $389 ACS3 coil conversion kit worth the cost? That depends entirely on you as a rider. In order for this kit to make sense, small bump compliance has to be at the forefront of your priorities. If youíre willing to trade some of your tuning flexibility and warranty for velcro like front end traction in rough terrain, this kit is a clear yes. Meticulously designed and engineered, this USA made kit goes in and works like it was made to be there from the factory. PUSH has never let us down on any of their products. The real deal, this kit is just as high quality as everything else that leaves their Colorado factory. Life is all about tradeoffs however, and just like everything else, this kit forces riders to make a choice. For some, itís best to just stay with the air sprung fork thatís on the bike. For others, the greener grass of a buttery smooth coil spring will be too much to resist! Put in the effort, and this kit will reward."

For me, this ^ pretty much sums up my coil experience and where I think coils work best for recreational riding.... which has me thinking about converting my Fox 36 and trying a coil fork again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just because 2.6 fits doesn't mean it "fits". At the GG camp out one of the guys was running 2.6s on his Revved Smash. 2 days of hard riding later he was fine. On the third day he had tire to seattube contact.

GGs response "at least I can say I told you so."

always licking the glass
    Got my revved shred dogg today. Gets built up this week.

Build:
    Fox 36 160mm with ACS3
    Dhx2 coil
    Shimano XT/XTR 11 speed drivetrain
    Hadley/derby wheels 2.5 WT DHF
    Bike yoke 160mm dropper
    Saint brakes
    Deity bars and stem
    Ergon saddle and grips
    Race face altas 165mm cranks with oval 30t
    Deity Tmac pedals

Eventually the wheels will go to on the pedalhead along with the 11 speed drivetrain. Saving up for I9s and 12 speed shimano.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Can't wait to see the new bike Stripes!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    Just because 2.6 fits doesn't mean it "fits". At the GG camp out one of the guys was running 2.6s on his Revved Smash. 2 days of hard riding later he was fine. On the third day he had tire to seattube contact.

GGs response "at least I can say I told you so."
    As you can tell from the pics, there is a ton of room (~20mm), so there's no way I'll get contact unless the frame breaks. But yeah, some people would judge a 5mm clearance as adequate, then complain that it was a problem

I'm considering swapping my 36 27.5 for a 36 29, then do my ACS3 conversion, that way I could run 29's if I wanted, but I need to measure BB height and make sure it's not gonna be crazy high. If I do it, then I'd use the short lower cup to compensate for increased A-C.

Like Stripes, I'm slso wanting to get the XT 12sp drivetrain, my GX 11sp is getting beat, just waiting until the XT level cassettes are available.

Edit: I mocked up the Shred with 29 x 2.6, B.B. height with the tall cup and 160mm 27.5 fork is ~360mm, running the low cup and a 29er fork would be within 4mm A-C +\- cup height, so pretty tall, but not that excessive if youíre looking for pedal clearance.

Just gotta decide if itís worth it. Might need to ride it that way, but itíll be a funky rig cuz my only 29er fork that is tall enough is a Pike 140, so Iíll keep the tall cup installed and see how it rides. Maybe I should have kept my Lyric after all 🙄
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 07-16-2019 at 10:51 PM.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Sooooo - this means the size 1 are in production or ready to be?

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    Sooooo - this means the size 1 are in production or ready to be?
    It sounds like size 4s and size 1s will be available Q4 of this year according to the web site.

https://ridegg.com/frame-pre-order-2019

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    It sounds like size 4s and size 1s will be available Q4 of this year according to the web site.

https://ridegg.com/frame-pre-order-2019
    Bobby told me the same thing. He also said the size 2 could work down to 5-2ish. You may not a size 1

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I probably assumed you were naturally a GG size 1 but maybe you are going size 2 revved?

Looking at geos I am probably as true a "tweener" as there may be btw size 1 and 2... never feld "sizing up" was the better option but I'm probably stuck on the lengthy wheelbase (at least to me) number

always licking the glass
    Bobby told me the same thing. He also said the size 2 could work down to 5-2ish. You may not a size 1

I probably assumed you were naturally a GG size 1 but maybe you are going size 2 revved?

Looking at geos I am probably as true a "tweener" as there may be btw size 1 and 2... never feld "sizing up" was the better option but I'm probably stuck on the lengthy wheelbase (at least to me) number
    Gundrted: How tall are you? If you're 5'4" or taller, I would agree, but I think 5'2" would be pushing it even with a short stem, but I'd be curious to where Bobby is going with this (stem size? crank size? lower travel fork?). There's a lot of things you can do to bring the fit in to smaller sizes. Lemme know if you have questions on that.

Kamper: how tall are you? Sounds like you're my height.

I'm also a true tweener. At 5'4 1/2", I have long arms and legs proportionally, so the XS AL felt too small for me. I had an XS Megatrail/Shred Dogg for 1.5 years before moving to a small Megatrail. That feels just right tbh, so I hate going and playing with sizing all over again.

For the Revved, I'm either a Size 1 long or a Size 2 short, depending on everything. I did take in my 50mm stem/small AL megatrail and have GG match it up to the size 2 prototype before I put the money down on a new frame.

My LBS is going to take my current measurements on my Shred Dogg and move them to the new Revved Shred Dogg frame the best they can. Next week I get the bike built up, so I can give you all feedback on riding differences as well as how the bike fits if that helps at all.

My build is going to have the following fit related:
    - Size 2 Short Shred Dogg
    - 165mm cranks
    - 160mm Fox 36mm fork
    - 780mm handlebars (broad shoulders, long arms)
    - 50mm stem

My thing that might be affected the most is the stem. I might have to go down to a 40mm stem, but I want to see how the parts I have match up first.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ME:

Im about 5' 6.5", 29.5' inseam. Pretty balanced proportions - meaning torso, arm length etc for my size.

I ride mediums typically but we know that geos have been changing readily over the last few years.

Currently on a Spot Rollik in Med - not sure a 1 inch wheelbase is to be concerned about frankly... i need to demo before i buy - so will be waiting for GG to have a size 2 of "something" available!!

always licking the glass
    ME:

Im about 5' 6.5", 29.5' inseam. Pretty balanced proportions - meaning torso, arm length etc for my size.

I ride mediums typically but we know that geos have been changing readily over the last few years.

Currently on a Spot Rollik in Med - not sure a 1 inch wheelbase is to be concerned about frankly... i need to demo before i buy - so will be waiting for GG to have a size 2 of "something" available!!
    I feel you. I ride everything from a XS to a medium depending on the bike.

For the Revved frames, you're solidly a size 2.

Once I get my size 2 built up (hopefully next week provided I don't run into any snags), you're more than welcome to throw a leg over it and see how it feels if you're still in the Front Range.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Update: Iíve got over a month on the Bomber Coil shock, really love the function, simplicity, and the price is hard to beat. Iíll probabl have Avy tube it over the winter, but honestly it works great as is.

Looking at the Bomber Z1 29er fork so I can run two wheel sets, probably put a coil in that fork.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Okay, the deal is done, just bought a Bomber Z1 29", 150mm, 44mm offset, should be here by the weekend. I got a good deal, new 25% off, figured I'd try a reduced travel to minimize excessive BB height in 29" mode while retaining decent BB height in 27+ mode.

I'll try the low cup first and see how it rides, that should get me close to where I am now with the tall cup and 160mm 27.5 Fox 36. Holding out hope that my ACS3 coil will fit, so far Push is noncommital cuz they ain't tested it yet.

Update on the Bomber CR Coil Shock: Great shock, set it and forget it. Can't beat the price at $350 with coil. I may send it for an update come winter just to see what Avalanche can do with it, according to them it's the best coil shock for upgrades.

If the Z1 works out, I'm thinking the Bomber Z1/CR combo could be a great way to budget builda GG bike and still have good quality.

I'm also going to keep a second suspension and wheel set up for longer distance on mellower terrain: Fox DPX2/Pike 29 140, 29er Rekon 2.6/Ikon 2.6
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

So wait, are you going to run a 29" rear wheel your Shred Dogg?

Short-Change-Hero
    He's going to try to. We were talking about it last week when we rode together and with the amount of space he has left with the 27.5x2.8 he should be able to run that. Seems like it should work, even if he can't run the 2.6 rear he should be able to easily run most 29x2.4 tires without any issues.

I did the math.

Diameter of a 29x2.4 tire is 744mm, diameter of a 275x2.8 is 726mm. That gives us a difference of 18mm in height, or a increase of 9mm at the BB.

Thing is, the Shred Dogg geometry is based off a 2.6 tire, which is 716mm diameter. So a slight 5mm increase in BB height going from 2.6 to 2.8 tire, which means 29x2.4 is more like 14mm in BB height increase.

One big worry here is that the Shred Dogg is limited to a 2.8 tire, so its pretty likely their will be tire contact with the wheel/tire 29x2.4 that is 9mm closer than the max tire recommendation. You might be limited to 130mm "Trail" mode.

Shred Dogg's BB height with 150mm fork and 2.6 tires is 337mm, so with 29x2.4 tires it'll be roughly 350mm. That's only 5mm higher than a Smash. Not bad.

Another factor is the increased length of the 29er fork vs the 275 fork. Usually I see about a 20mm increase in A2C between 275 and 29" forks. Pulling out the 15mm lower cup will help with that, but I'd be inclined to lower the fork even more, down to say 140mm which would match the Trail Mode fine (130mm) and feel roughly the same as stock in terms of HTA/STA.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yea, so, I already tried a 29 x 2.6 Rekon on the rear and it fit with a lot of room to spare with the suspension fully compressed ... I did post pics, didn't anyone see them? 15mm of clearance to the seat tube and 10mm all the way around at the swingarm.

Fox 36 150mm 27.5 for A-C 540mm
    Fox 36 160mm 27.5 fork A-C is 550mm
    Fox 36 160mm 29 for A-C is 567mm
    GG Tall Lower Cup is 15mm
    GG Short Lower Cup is ~5mm

The Shred Dog is spec'd with a tall lower cup and a 150mm 27.5 fork, so A-C+Tall Cup = 560mm. Taller tires obviously raise the bike, but with a 337mm BB at stock set up, this is not exactly high esp considering the Smash BB is 345mm.

My Shred is already shod with 27.5 x 2.8 HHR/DHR and a Fox 36 27.5 160mm, A-C+Tall Cup = 570mm, so it's fairly tall and raked out already, BB height ~ 345mm, and yet it's still a pedal dragger at times; doesn't ride tall, but it rides very well.

My plan is to run a 150mm 29er fork (Bomber Z1), the A-C is ~557mm, so I suspect I'll run the short lower cup which will put my geo closer to the spec AND it will reduce BB height to help compensate for the taller tires.

When I mocked up the Shred with the existing suspension and tall lower cup, the BB height was 360mm. Running the short lower cup will reduce the BB to ~355mm, so higher than the average bike, but quite nice for backcountry riding where pedal clearance is more important.

The BB will be about the same as spec with the 27.5+ wheels, though lower than my current BB height. Gotta see how that works out, might be a non issue. It helps that I ride 165mm cranks.

My goal for the 29er set up is to have a rig that has good ground clearance and large tires width/diameter for riding places where pedal strikes and obstacle clearance are an issue, specifically off piste, bikepacking, chunder riding
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

always licking the glass
    Size 2 short Revved frame. Build so far, had to use a taller race, and flip the Fox DHX2 and run it upside down to clear a bottle cage.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    keep posting til final build - some serious bike porn emerging !

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    My oh my.....

always licking the glass
    Iíll drop by the shop tomorrow and see where theyíre at. Hopefully this week, since all my bikes are in the shop at the same time, the only thing Iím riding is the stationary recumbent at the gym.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Big ride yesterday to see how the Shred handles the big wheels. B.B. clocked in at 14Ē with the short lower cup; I went back to the tall lower cup cuz I like that geo better, so final B.B. height with a 29 x 2.6Ē, Z1 29 x 150mm fork, plush setting, tall lower cup is ~14.25Ē/360mm. For perspective, when Iím running 27.5 x 2.8, the B.B. is ~345mm.

The ride is good, feels a tad firmer out back, kinda reminds me of an aluminum Smash. High B.B. is a non issue, if anything it made tech climbing though boulders and up steps a far easier task.

Final build includes a Bomber Z1 fork and a Bomber CR Coil Shock, and though I could afford whatever I want, so far this combo has been as good as anything Iíve ridden. $550 fork +$300 shock, pretty damn cheap for new!

GG Shred Dogg 2019-6f4515a7-68df-401b-aab7-3217f2cfa170.jpg
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Very interesting experiment Ben, glad it worked out for you.

always licking the glass
    Big ride yesterday to see how the Shred handles the big wheels. B.B. clocked in at 14Ē with the short lower cup; I went back to the tall lower cup cuz I like that geo better, so final B.B. height with a 29 x 2.6Ē, Z1 29 x 150mm fork, plush setting, tall lower cup is ~14.25Ē/360mm. For perspective, when Iím running 27.5 x 2.8, the B.B. is ~345mm.

The ride is good, feels a tad firmer out back, kinda reminds me of an aluminum Smash. High B.B. is a non issue, if anything it made tech climbing though boulders and up steps a far easier task.

Final build includes a Bomber Z1 fork and a Bomber CR Coil Shock, and though I could afford whatever I want, so far this combo has been as good as anything Iíve ridden. $550 fork +$300 shock, pretty damn cheap for new!

Name:	6F4515A7-68DF-401B-AAB7-3217F2CFA170.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	358.9 KB 
ID:	1267719
    Nice, are you running it in trail or gravity mode, because you said it's a tad firmer in the back my guess is trail mode.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nice, are you running it in trail or gravity mode, because you said it's a tad firmer in the back my guess is trail mode.
    Nope, running Plush 140mm, so I'm thinking it's tires. Both sets of wheels are Scraper I45 and DT Swiss:

Rekon 2.6/Kennebec 2.6 VS HHR 2.8/DHF 2.8

I don't think I'll run the 29er set up as often as the 27.5 because I like being down in the bike and the shorter wheels are quicker and more playful, but for an epic or a multi day ride I could totally see running 29er and possibly swapping the coil for air.

I do not miss the Fox 36 Fit4, man that thing rode hard!

The Bomber Z1 has the Grip damper, not sure how different it is from Grip 2; something to do with having a spring vs a shim stack
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Is the SD still poppy and playful with a coil on it?

This is interesting because if you own a 210x55 shock and want more travel than the Pistola, you could run the Shred Dogg rear and get 140mm travel without going full Smash setup with a 230mm shock.

It kinda blows my mind that with the same chainstay length the Shred Dogg pulls out 10mm more travel than the Pistola while running 2.6 tires. It just doesnt seem possible. Id love to see 29x2.6 at full compression.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    This is interesting because if you own a 210x55 shock and want more travel than the Pistola, you could run the Shred Dogg rear and get 140mm travel without going full Smash setup with a 230mm shock.

It kinda blows my mind that with the same chainstay length the Shred Dogg pulls out 10mm more travel than the Pistola while running 2.6 tires. It just doesnt seem possible. Id love to see 29x2.6 at full compression.
    I posted pics in a previous post ^, clearance is substantial, plenty of room for mud.

I think the reason GG has the Pistol/Pistola designed as they do is to keep the BB from being so high; some folks would find 360mm to be a lot.

But yeah, as a dual purpose bike: two wheel sizes, two suspension travel, two head cup heights, and two headcup position, the SD is one super flexible option.

I'm thinking about selling my Signal Peak to finance a light weight SD build, carbon wheels, new drivetrain (XT 12sp), Pike 29 150mm/Fox DPX2, then I'd simply swap suspension for multi day rides, XC, etc...

Also looking to making the Z1 a coil, but I may need to sell my ACS3 and get a Vorsprung Coil kit
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tantrum007 View Post
    Is the SD still poppy and playful with a coil on it?
    I think it is, but it's been a bit since I ran air.

I may swap back over to air for the weekend just to see how it feels, I'll let you know.

The biggest plus for coils is they never change, no need to aid air, they just work. Downside is they are heavier and it takes more effort to change the spring pressure.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hey Ben = are you considering the Diaz Suspension Runt as an option to coil in the bomber? I just came to a realization that they have it available - and about 1/2 the price/weight - on my radar now!

mtbr member

But yeah, as a dual purpose bike: two wheel sizes, two suspension travel, two head cup heights, and two headcup position, the SD is one super flexible option.

I'm thinking about selling my Signal Peak to finance a light weight SD build, carbon wheels, new drivetrain (XT 12sp), Pike 29 150mm/Fox DPX2, then I'd simply swap suspension for multi day rides, XC, etc...

Also looking to making the Z1 a coil, but I may need to sell my ACS3 and get a Vorsprung Coil kit
    This statement reminds me of my dog when she can't decide to play with the frisbee or the ball, and accurately sums up what I thought would happen to me if I went with the Shred Dogg, vs. the La Sal Peak. With that many configurations to mess with, there's a high probability that I'd spend more time swapping parts around than actually riding the thing. I'm both relieved and jealous.

Kamper11 - I love my Runt. It does what they say it does.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

Looking at the pics of suspension compressed i dont wonder if you couldnt run offset bushings and a shorter fork to get the BB lower, like 140/140. With the 29Ē front wheel its already pretty slack.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Looking at the pics of suspension compressed i dont wonder if you couldnt run offset bushings and a shorter fork to get the BB lower, like 140/140. With the 29Ē front wheel its already pretty slack.
    Are you saying 27.5 rear 29er front? 140/140? Would a 51mm offset fork work for this?

No I mean 29x2.6 front and rear with 140mm travel on both ends.

A 29" wheel requires a longer A2C fork, so even if the BB is raised evenly by running 29" wheels on both ends, you're effectively slackening the bike by running a longer fork (even if the travel is the same).

always licking the glass
    More bike porn. Not quite done yet but almost ready to take out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I keep forgetting to cut up my credit cards before visiting this forum, and it is going to get me in trouble very soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hey Ben = are you considering the Diaz Suspension Runt as an option to coil in the bomber? I just came to a realization that they have it available - and about 1/2 the price/weight - on my radar now!
    Hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it ... not that interesting, air springs work fine, so if I go with a coil spring in my fork it'll be a real coil. I have a Vorsprung Coil coming for my Bomber.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've never used offset bushings, so maybe that would be worth trying, but then it would complicate wheel swap. I'm not adverse to the elevated BB, so kind of a non issue, but maybe you could try it and let us know?

As to Watermonkey's comment about spending more time playing with biek set up than riding ... I ride a lot, I like playing with stuff, so combining the two into one sport is pretty cool. I used to make telemark bindings and as a kayaker I often tweaked boats and made custom set ups. I'm a tinker.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    More bike porn. Not quite done yet but almost ready to take out.
    Ya got yourself a perty bike, yup.

What kind of bottle cage is that?

It's hard to find a bottle to fit that space. I ended up with a Polar Bottle Insulated Water Bottle - 12oz. It's a nice reserve bottle, combined with a large bottle up top you get ~32 oz which is good enough for short rides when it's hot.

Here's my bottle, it represents my inner youth GG Shred Dogg 2019-monster.jpg
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

always licking the glass

It's hard to find a bottle to fit that space. I ended up with a Polar Bottle Insulated Water Bottle - 12oz. It's a nice reserve bottle, combined with a large bottle up top you get ~32 oz which is good enough for short rides when it's hot.

Here's my bottle, it represents my inner youth Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monster.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	1268229
    Ooo. Where can I get that bottle? the bottle cage is a PNW lucky cat. Available in black or white

Oh build is done

No known cure
    Ooo. Where can I get that bottle? the bottle cage is a PNW lucky cat. Available in black or white

Oh build is done

That's hot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Oh build is done

That's looks amazing. Size 2 ... Right?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Updates to my Shred:

Installed a One Up V2 210mm Dropper Post, super fast install, replaced a V1 170mm dropper.

The One Up has a very short insert, I was able to get full insertion in a Size 3 frame, but for my inseam length I have the post full extended and pulled out of the seat tube ~10mm.

I run 165mm crank, wear flats, measuring from the seat rail to the seat post collar I get ~260mm.

The V2 appears to be a little stiffer, bushings may be tighter, it also has a better return and is less senstive to clamping pressure. This is my first V2, but I've had three V1, no issues with the droppers, though the carbon dropper levers were a bit fragile; broke one with my knee.

I am finding the Revved frame to be much more versatile than the aluminum, lower standover, adjustable geo, takes a longer dropper, and the dual wheel thing is pretty nifty.

And man, this dropper, seriously, 210mm of drop, it's amazing! It goes into dirt jumper mode, my butt can't even find the seat when dropping steep tech, best thing since sliced bread and free wifi
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

always licking the glass
    That's looks amazing. Size 2 ... Right?
    Size 2 long . First ride was today.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    first ride was today.
    and?????!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Khai View Post
    and?????!!!
    Yea c'mon Stripes!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So I was out riding, long day, all by my lonesome, climbed to the Drifter Hut, sat down to dry out my kit and I though, ďHey, why not see how the Shred rides in the short position?Ē

So a few minutes of wrenching and I flipped my cups around, and voila! Short and shreddy 😊

I did have my seat slid back ~10mm from centered, so it didn't feel short at all. It was more playful for sure, quicker, a touch more oversteer, easier to manual, climbed about the same.

So Iím leaving it in the short position for a while. Kinda cool to have that option and to be able to do it on the fly.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

always licking the glass

GG Shred Dogg 2019

Yea c'mon Stripes!!!
    Gaaaah!! Something ate the rest of my post. Iíll definitely do another write up sorry.

Initial thoughts on the revved Shred Dogg:
    1) I was sized on a short size 2. Really didnít like how twitchy it felt. With 10mm difference in reach, I can play with a shorter stem and run it long. Long felt more stable so letís start there. Have a 35mm stem on order to replace the 50mm.
    2) started out in gravity mode, both up and down. Switched halfway through the ride to trail mode. On the AL frame I loved gravity mode for the Shred Dogg. On the Revved frame, the trail mode shines especially in the long mode.
    3) The revved frame not only feels more stable than the AL frame, but also the suspension feels MUCH better, and it feels like it uses all the suspension. Iím not sure what the suspension curves look like, but this Shred Dogg suspension feels much better in both gravity and trail mode.
    4) The Revved frame feels a lot more responsive to the pedals than the AL frame did. Not sure if thatís long mode, but Iíll be interesting to see on the next ride.
    5) if I went strictly by my height, GG sizes me on a size 1 long. Iím 5í4Ē, and I think that might have felt too short since Iím coming off a small AL frame. However, I could have done it and might not have been too happy since I have long arms and long legs for my height.

Next ride: 35mm stem fully in trail mode, and in long. I might try it in short mode like
    Ben did, but right now I like the long mode.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Very interesting Stripes, thank you. Could you give us a little more explanation about how the suspension feels better? Like what characteristics in what type of terrain? I know that I can use all the travel on my AL SD pretty easily and only bottom it out occasionally but on some trails I feel like I am having to work far harder than I should, and maybe that is what you are referring to.

I was expecting you to think the Revved SD a little more twitchy due to the shorter chain-stays than the AL version but that seems to not be the case.

mtbr member
    3) The revved frame not only feels more stable than the AL frame, but also the suspension feels MUCH better, and it feels like it uses all the suspension. Iím not sure what the suspension curves look like, but this Shred Dogg suspension feels much better in both gravity and trail mode.
    I assume you've got a fresh shock on the new SD or did you move a shock over from the metal SD? Just trying to understand if the difference is new frame + new shock or just new frame + old shock.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Vik, Iíd say the Revved suspension feels more plush in Plush mode, but thatís comparing a Revved Shred to an aluminum Smash; though I did ride my Smash mostly as a 27.5.

Gravity (crush) mode on the Shred is way firm, much more contrast between the modes than on the aluminum Smash. Iím not sure who would benefit from crush, perhaps dirt jumpers or dual slalom??

The Shred doesnít feel twitchy compared to the Smash so much as feeling more active, for example, the Smash really wanted to bulldoze, it tracked great but once it was online it liked to stay there, whereas the Shred is more willing to change lines and itís easier to move the backend around; the Shred is more ďslarvy ď.

My best compare: i rode the Smash last season, been on the Revved Shred most of this season, i have not backed off my riding, but last year I had four major crashes by August and so far this season I havenít had a big crash.

Yeah, yeah, fingers crossed and all that

I agree with Stripes, the Revved frame is stiffer than the aluminum.

So from my perspective the Shred is more controllable. Is it suspension, geo, old age, or all of the above?
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

always licking the glass

GG Shred Dogg 2019

I assume you've got a fresh shock on the new SD or did you move a shock over from the metal SD? Just trying to understand if the difference is new frame + new shock or just new frame + old shock.
    You canít move the shock over. The revved Dogg is 210x55.

Iíve ridden Fox DHX2 on both the AL and Revved, and an 11-6, Topaz, RS Super Delux sir, and super delux coil on the AL bike.

always licking the glass
    The other thing about the Revved frame vs the AL: the amount of things you can tweak on this is bike feels like it could be very overwhelming. Once the size 1s come out, Iím going to demo one as well to get a feel for sizing. Thereís a BIG difference between the 2 and the 3.

I would say short mode feels more like the AL frame wheelbase, where the long mode feels like a very different bike.

The new Dogg in trail mode and in the long setup feels like I was trying to with my AL Shred Dogg by running a -2 headset.

The new Shred Dogg is designed from the ground up to be a different bike as opposed to a short travel megatrail. Iím thinking of getting a megatrail stay kit next year. This year Iíd like to dial in my Revved Dogg and just get a feel for it before winter hits and itís time to be on my pedalhead.

always licking the glass
    Very interesting Stripes, thank you. Could you give us a little more explanation about how the suspension feels better? Like what characteristics in what type of terrain? I know that I can use all the travel on my AL SD pretty easily and only bottom it out occasionally but on some trails I feel like I am having to work far harder than I should, and maybe that is what you are referring to.

I was expecting you to think the Revved SD a little more twitchy due to the shorter chain-stays than the AL version but that seems to not be the case.
    Keep in mind that I didnít go off any large rocks, drops, or jumps at this point. I havenít been cleared to do that yet until my PT says so.

This is over and off curbs, some loose rock trails, and some relatively smooth trails. Iím not including the smooth fireroads in my analysis.

In the AL Dogg, a lot of times Iíd feel like the suspension would ďstop shortĒ, like it wanted to go through the travel but didnít. Mainly because itís a reduced travel Megatrail might be what I was running into. So if you have that happen repeatedly on a bumpy section the suspension is going to feel a bit on the harsh side, and I noticed this with air and coil on the AL. Lemme know if this makes sense.

The same ride on the revved frame, the suspension felt like it was behaving the way I expected it to: it didnít ďstop short.Ē That changes the handling considerably in corners, on bumpy stuff, climbing, descending, etc.

Donít get me wrong, I loved my AL Dogg once I put a -2 headset in it. That was a fun bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hmm, you are the 3rd or 4th person who has made reference to the SD functioning in a particular way possibly due to it being a shorter travel Megatrail. It would be interesting if there was something about the way the suspension worked that could be demonstrated and could explain what people are feeling. I haven't ridden a MT, but I am still very hung up on the Transition Patrol I rode last month (I know very different bike from the SD), most notably how smoothly it moved through its travel. If I knew the MT rode just like that I would be much more highly motivated to pony up for a MT shock and 170mm air spring.

always licking the glass

GG Shred Dogg 2019

Hmm, you are the 3rd or 4th person who has made reference to the SD functioning in a particular way possibly due to it being a shorter travel Megatrail. It would be interesting if there was something about the way the suspension worked that could be demonstrated and could explain what people are feeling. I haven't ridden a MT, but I am still very hung up on the Transition Patrol I rode last month (I know very different bike from the SD), most notably how smoothly it moved through its travel. If I knew the MT rode just like that I would be much more highly motivated to pony up for a MT shock and 170mm air spring.
    You can probably find a 230x65 rear shock cheaper than a new bike

Also if youíre running your Shred Dogg with a 160mm fork, you donít need to do anything with the front end. Megatrail supports a 160-180mm fork.

Honestly I think in the AL bike the suspension feels better as a megatrail than a Shred Dogg, but I donít need to be pedaling around that much suspension.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Revved Shred just plain rips!

Iím find myself blasting through serious chunk, sudden direction changes, crashing into uglier, and the bike just eats it up.

Iím still running in the short mode, size 3, seat centered on the post, 35mm stem. Iím 6í, slightly long arms.

Love this bike!
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Can you fit the GG water bottle on that bottom mount bottle cage? What cage is that?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    The Revved Shred just plain rips!

Iím find myself blasting through serious chunk, sudden direction changes, crashing into uglier, and the bike just eats it up.

Iím still running in the short mode, size 3, seat centered on the post, 35mm stem. Iím 6í, slightly long arms.

Love this bike!
    Yup... Ben and I are about same size (think I have slightly shorter inseam and longer torso/arms, about same weight too). Im running my Smash with a 35mm stem, long mode in Plush and we did a quick swap yesterday in a more chunky staircase section because I am still battling with the Lyrik. Anyways, the SD feels like a slightly smaller Smash, maybe a bit more playful but for the most part felt almost the exact same.

On the trails we were riding, both bikes just ate up the tech. Funny thing was that I was able to clear a couple of short staircase climbs that I have been unable to in the past. Didn't really realize it until afterwards when I was mentally trying to figure out where we were on the trails and was like "oh yeah I normally walk that." Trails are pretty dry and blown out right now since we have only had one short storm in the last couple of months, but both bikes just ate everything up. Can't get over how awesome these bikes are and really how versatile.

Too lazy for words
    Apr 2019
    Hello, I'm currently on queue for a size 2 Revved frame. I weigh 160lbs geared and 5'6" short.

The Shred Dogg is starting look good as my starter long term build for GG bikes. I will eventually get MT and Pistola in the future.

I currently have a medium Trance 2 2017 that I will gut some parts to transfer. She currently have a dvo diamond fork at 170mm travel 37mm offset. I will set it at 160mm once I get the SD. Anyone running that short of offset on SD? How does it affect the ride? My Trance become less twitchy on turns and less oversteer now on berms and tight turns.

I am looking to get the DVO Topaz shock to make things consistent but it seems that the dpx2 is a widely popular choice. I like serviceability of the Topaz and ease of tweaking but I am a bit worried if I'm be missing anything extraordinary compare to DPX2.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It'll be fine, I run a 44mm now and was running a 42mm, really it won't be noticeable unless compared to a 51mm, you could even stay with the 170mm travel fork and run a short lower cup to offset increased A-C.

DPX2 is a fine shock, but a coil shock would be more fun

Quote Originally Posted by noobshredur View Post
    Hello, I'm currently on queue for a size 2 Revved frame. I weigh 160lbs geared and 5'6" short.

The Shred Dogg is starting look good as my starter long term build for GG bikes. I will eventually get MT and Pistola in the future.

I currently have a medium Trance 2 2017 that I will gut some parts to transfer. She currently have a dvo diamond fork at 170mm travel 37mm offset. I will set it at 160mm once I get the SD. Anyone running that short of offset on SD? How does it affect the ride? My Trance become less twitchy on turns and less oversteer now on berms and tight turns.

I am looking to get the DVO Topaz shock to make things consistent but it seems that the dpx2 is a widely popular choice. I like serviceability of the Topaz and ease of tweaking but I am a bit worried if I'm be missing anything extraordinary compare to DPX2.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Too lazy for words
    Apr 2019
    Which Coil? Currently looking at Jade, Hazzard and DHX2?

always licking the glass

I rode a Topaz on the AL Shred Dogg. It felt really nice. Iím on a DHX2 (coil) on the revved Shred Dogg.

The Topaz does fine. I think youíd be happy either way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    More upgrades!

After a couple seasons on my GX 11sp, used on three different bikes, I believe ďweíre getting tiredĒ, so I sold a couple things and I got enough mad money to get a Shimano XT kit.

$550 got me a shifter, derailleur, chain, two 11-51 cassettes, and two DT Swiss micro drives, pretty cheap, all coming direct from China and Taiwan. So now Iíll have a fresh drivetrain and an extra gear for my old, tired legs
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member

Here's my bottle, it represents my inner youth Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monster.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	1268229
    I wonder how this might work: https://www.jensonusa.com/Fidlock-Bo...UaAgmsEALw_wcB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nurse Ben's experiments in 29ing a 275 bike has got me wondering about the possibility of a Revved MegaSmash, ie a Megatrail with 29" hoops.

For such a bike I'd still want to lower the BB as much as possible, but 29x2.5WT, 170mm front (Mezzer) and 165mm rear would be fan-funky-tastic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Nurse Ben's experiments in 29ing a 275 bike has got me wondering about the possibility of a Revved MegaSmash, ie a Megatrail with 29" hoops.

For such a bike I'd still want to lower the BB as much as possible, but 29x2.5WT, 170mm front (Mezzer) and 165mm rear would be fan-funky-tastic.
    Not EXACTLY what you referenced but this may fit the bill: https://ridegg.com/thedispatch/Matts-MegaSmash-Makeover

Mullet bikes are easy. Fitting a 29Ē wheel where a 275x2.6 was designed to go is a different story.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Mullet bikes are easy. Fitting a 29Ē wheel where a 275x2.6 was designed to go is a different story.
    No idea how the MT will take a 29er wheel, but my Shred takes a 29 x 2.6 with room to spare. The expensive and PITA part of a mullet is acquiring a 29er fork, the single front wheel is cheap ... unless you start with a Smash and it's a rear wheel you need.

I still think the mullet thing is waaay overrated, this thinking comes around every so often , right now it's hot because a couple racers are running mixed wheels, but seriously, if on a couple are doing it does that really mean it's better?

I'd sooner go to fatter tires, more travel, or even a coil up front; I've got the fatter tires, the coil is on my bench eyeballing me whenever I walk by
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    May 2017
    No idea how the MT will take a 29er wheel, but my Shred takes a 29 x 2.6 with room to spare. The expensive and PITA part of a mullet is acquiring a 29er fork, the single front wheel is cheap ... unless you start with a Smash and it's a rear wheel you need.

I still think the mullet thing is waaay overrated, this thinking comes around every so often , right now it's hot because a couple racers are running mixed wheels, but seriously, if on a couple are doing it does that really mean it's better?

I'd sooner go to fatter tires, more travel, or even a coil up front; I've got the fatter tires, the coil is on my bench eyeballing me whenever I walk by

The problem is money. I already have a brand new 140mm 29er 51mm offset Pike sitting here waiting to be used. Of all the numbers and configurations I like the shred dogg the most for my 6 foot frame (size 3)

I would love to just buy a new complete smash but I already have half the parts that would fit nicely into the shred dogg + I'm not in love with the long chainstays on the smash.

Do I hop on this 27.5 rear / 29er front (140/140) Or do I wait? Decisions decision.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The problem is money. I already have a brand new 140mm 29er 51mm offset Pike sitting here waiting to be used. Of all the numbers and configurations I like the shred dogg the most for my 6 foot frame (size 3)

I would love to just buy a new complete smash but I already have half the parts that would fit nicely into the shred dogg + I'm not in love with the long chainstays on the smash.

Do I hop on this 27.5 rear / 29er front (140/140) Or do I wait? Decisions decision.
    If you have a 140 29er fork, why not get a Trail Pistol or Pistol(a) -- I just got mine and have ~50 miles on it and LOVE it. Detailed review coming soon.

I mean if you live someplace with lots of log crossings, crank bashing techy stuff, and maybe someplace where the speeds aren't huge, a Shred Dogg converted to 29er seems to give more travel options at the expense of a higher BB.

Honestly, had I known this when I was ordering my TP I might have gone this route.

The fact that the Revved Shred Dogg can run a 29x2.6 at 145mm travel and have room before tire contact tells me that there is some BB adjustment left in it, perhaps via offset bushings.

EDIT: As an aside, the new Megatrail has the lowest BB of anything in the GG lineup in 165mm Gravity mode - 13.2". The Smash has the highest BB - 13.6". It is likely that if you applied 29x2.6 wheels to the Megatrail, installed a 170mm 29er fork, and pulled the 15mm lower cup, you'd probably end up at a similar or perhaps lower BB height than the Smash (no idea about tire contact on the seat tube, though.)
    Last edited by PHeller; 08-07-2019 at 02:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

I'd say the Shred is a good choice considering the parts you already have.

Worse case scenario you don't like it as a Mullet and you go 27.5, then it'd just be a matter of buying and selling forks OR you keep the Pike so you can run 29/29, 27.5, and mullett

Personally, at nealy 200#, the Pike at 140-150mm travel is a bit flexy for me, which is why I've been running a 27.5 Fox 36 and a 29 Bomber Z1.

If you want to keep your cost down, consider a Bomber CR Coil, it's only $300 complete and it's a very nice ride.

If you are for sure gonna mullet your Shred, order the frame with a short lower cup; Shred comes standard with the tall cup (+10mm).

EDIT: This weekend while I install the Vorsprung in my Bomber, by popular request, I will change to a short lower cup, install a Pike 29 140mm, and swap in a 29 x 2.6 wheel for a mullet extravaganza!! This geo will be very similar to a Shred running a 160mm fork and 27.5/27.5 wheels.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dog Size 3, long position, short lower cup, Marzocchi Bomber CR Coil 400#, Bomber Z1 Vorsprung Smashpot 50# spring 160mm Grip Damper. Iím 6í, 195# plus kit.

Super easy install once I understood how everything goes together. Heavy as a coil fork, smooth as silk, plush as down. I once had an MRP Coil that I did not bond with, but this coil makes my heart sing. Considering that I really liked the Z1 with the air spring, the BomberCoilGrip combo is even better.

Still got some tinkering to do with bottom out damper and compression, but for the most part itís damn close to perfect out of the box. I might upgrade to a 55# spring, but I think I have compression damping and spring damping that a stiffer spring isnít necessary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GG Shred Dogg 2019-c91b0c85-6744-47f2-b781-5bcac4c1baba.jpg  

GG Shred Dogg 2019-3016eaa5-c3ef-431f-b689-e6d12b34ab81.jpg  

Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    That thing looks ready for anything!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dog Size 3, long position, short lower cup, Marzocchi Bomber CR Coil 400#, Bomber Z1 Vorsprung Smashpot 50# spring 160mm Grip Damper. Iím 6í, 195# plus kit.

Super easy install once I understood how everything goes together. Heavy as a coil fork, smooth as silk, plush as down. I once had an MRP Coil that I did not bond with, but this coil makes my heart sing. Considering that I really liked the Z1 with the air spring, the BomberCoilGrip combo is even better.

Still got some tinkering to do with bottom out damper and compression, but for the most part itís damn close to perfect out of the box. I might upgrade to a 55# spring, but I think I have compression damping and spring damping that a stiffer spring isnít necessary.
    I've been looking at the bomber cr for my Trail Pistol. For $330 I'm thinking I might try one. My riding is all mountain and only did one lift access day this year. I do a lot of climbing and currently have the stock Deluxe RT. I've never had a coil shock before.

I weight 140lbs and my deluxe always feels a little harsh now matter what I do.

How does it pedal and climb?
    I could find spring weights one line. Do you know if they springs for my 140lbs feather weight?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thereís a spring calculator over on the suspension forum, itís something Dougal made up, but yeah, they make coils for lightweights, in fact your coil will be really light compared to the coils for us fatties 

Coils are more linear, they donít ramp up as fast so theyíre more plush, but as a result theyíre not quite as poppy. If you like a smooth controlled ride, you should try a coil.

Edit: weigh-in

36#, no carbon other than the frame, plus wheels with 27.5 x 2.8 tires, e13/GX drivetrain, 210mm dropper, coils front and rear.

I am proud to say that I hade made absolutely no attempt to save weight.

And it rides like a dream 😊

Just waiting on my XT 12so drivetrain...
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

always licking the glass

GG Shred Dogg 2019

Current configuration:
    Size 2 long configuration, trail mode
    Tall headset race
    35mm stem deity copperhead
    30mm spacers under stem
    780mm handlebar deity blacklabel
    160mm bike yoke post
    165mm race face atlas cranks with 30t oval
    Derby rims/Hadley hubs (for now)
    Shimano 11 speed 11-46
    Shimano saint brakes
    2.8 DHR2 front 2.6 rekon rear
    Fox 36 ACS3 160mm
    Fox dhx2 rear
    Deity TMAC pedals
    Ergon grips and saddle

Other than tires and stem, itís pretty been left alone. A lot of the parts came off an AL shred Dogg, so I ended up turning off a lot of the compression on the fork and it feels much better. Other than that, itís pretty much where itís going to be until I get my 12 speed shimano and I9 hydra hubs. The current wheels will move to the pedalhead.

Tomorrow Iím taking it to Trestle. Weíll see how I do.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Lookin good! Go get her dirty!!

That baby cries for an ACS3 😆

Current configuration:
    Size 2 long configuration, trail mode
    Tall headset race
    35mm stem deity copperhead
    30mm spacers under stem
    780mm handlebar deity blacklabel
    160mm bike yoke post
    165mm race face atlas cranks with 30t oval
    Derby rims/Hadley hubs (for now)
    Shimano 11 speed 11-46
    Shimano saint brakes
    2.8 DHR2 front 2.6 rekon rear
    Fox 36 ACS3 160mm
    Fox dhx2 rear
    Deity TMAC pedals
    Ergon grips and saddle

Other than tires and stem, itís pretty been left alone. A lot of the parts came off an AL shred Dogg, so I ended up turning off a lot of the compression on the fork and it feels much better. Other than that, itís pretty much where itís going to be until I get my 12 speed shimano and I9 hydra hubs. The current wheels will move to the pedalhead.

Tomorrow Iím taking it to Trestle. Weíll see how I do.

Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

always licking the glass
    Lookin good! Go get her dirty!!

That baby cries for an ACS3 😆
    It already has an ACS3 in it. Full coil all the way ba-bee.

I did. I rode it at Trestle in the rain today 4-5 runs. Soo much fun. The first two runs I did were in trail mode. Not really ideal, so I switched it to gravity mode after that, and it was perfect for the park. I didn't like it originally in gravity mode (hated it actually), but for park riding, it definitely fits the bill.

I'm used to riding a full DH bike at Trestle, and my AL Shred Dogg didn't feel as confidence inspiring at the park the way the Revved does. I spend more time park riding than trail riding soo..

I think I want something a little more aggressive in the back for Trestle though. I did fine on the DHR 2.8 in the front and the Rekon 2.6 in the back, but the Rekon had a couple of interesting moments. I'll throw back on the DHF 2.5 WT for Trestle, but my body would like a bit more travel for the runs.

If my shop has time, I'm going to raise the fork to 170mm (I have the ACS3 for the longer travel) and order the Megatrail stays and shock for the DH season.

For next year, I'm tempted to build up a second Revved bike (Megatrail) and use it strictly for park riding to replace my DH bike. I know you can change out the stays, but I want a sturdy build for park riding that I don't have to constantly switch out.

always licking the glass
    Some dirt from today

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Getting after it stripes!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah baby, coil love!!

Did some climb and descend today, first big ride on the coils, fifteen miles and a few k of climbing, rode some chunder and drops on Tyrolean Downhill, not too crazy, lots of boulders, moon dust, fun. Sorry no pics, riding solo.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

always licking the glass

GG Shred Dogg 2019

I might actually be able to get after it for real. Cleared to jump by PT today

Then I can really test the coils like Ben.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Yeah baby, coil love!!

Did some climb and descend today, first big ride on the coils, fifteen miles and a few k of climbing, rode some chunder and drops on Tyrolean Downhill, not too crazy, lots of boulders, moon dust, fun. Sorry no pics, riding solo.
    Do you feel you needed a climbing switch on the Bomber cr?

GG quotes the stock BB height on a Shred Dogg with 275x2.6 tires at 13.3 or 337mm. Aside from the Megatrail in Gravity Mode, that's the lowest BB in the lineup.

GG also says that the MegaSmash Mullet Bike is 13.4" BB height with 170mm 29er fork with 29x2.6 front tire, 0mm lower cup, and 275x2.8 rear tire.

Therefore, I assume that if the Megatrail can run a 29" setup in 165mm Gravity Mode, the BB will be similar (or slightly lower) height without the lower the cup - 14" or 355mm. The new Enduro 29 has a BB height that's nearly identical (although "Low Mode" is 345mm).

I gotta find someone with a Megatrail who is as willing to experiment as what Ben is!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    GG quotes the stock BB height on a Shred Dogg with 275x2.6 tires at 13.3 or 337mm. Aside from the Megatrail in Gravity Mode, that's the lowest BB in the lineup.

GG also says that the MegaSmash Mullet Bike is 13.4" BB height with 170mm 29er fork with 29x2.6 front tire, 0mm lower cup, and 275x2.8 rear tire.

Therefore, I assume that if the Megatrail can run a 29" setup in 165mm Gravity Mode, the BB will be similar (or slightly lower) height without the lower the cup - 14" or 355mm. The new Enduro 29 has a BB height that's nearly identical (although "Low Mode" is 345mm).

I gotta find someone with a Megatrail who is as willing to experiment as what Ben is!

It cant be run at 165mm travel. The geometry does work out as you describe, with a higher, but still acceptable BB height. On the aluminum megatrail, the travel limit is ~153mm with this setup (29x2.3). Will be slightly different on the Revved frames, but probably not too much. I bet the longer CS length helps.

I'm running an AL megatrail as a 29er at 153mm travel, it rips.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I might actually paypal someone to test this bike in mullet form 140/140 and provide feedback here.

Ben kinda already did in his ďBy Popular DemandĒ post.

Im also not sure using the alloy models as a benchmark for what fits and doesnt fit is a good comparison. The old Shred Dogg was pretty much a MegaTrail with a shorter stoke, while the new one is a completely different seatstay than the rest and shares its shock with the Pistola. For this reason Im really hesitant to believe what fits without seeing it, first. The fact that Ben has got a good thick fingers worth of room between a 29x2.6 and the seat tube at 140mm of travel is surprising, but the Megatrail with a similar setup could be full on frame damage.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I might actually paypal someone to test this bike in mullet form 140/140 and provide feedback here.
    Yup, done did that, but feel free to send me money or even a jar of cookies
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    so after spending likely far toooooo much time re-reading and educating myself, couple of things stand out:

ANY of the GG bikes can likely run both wheelsizes - 29 or 27.5. And that is without buying seat stay kits so in reality - find the 1 primary bike and knowing it can take on a different personality swapping wheels/fork - or shock - huge BONUS. (doesn't hurt you can buy the kits for something else and NOT buy a whole new bike).

So - now - which seat sty config is my biggest question. After reading this shred dogg forum in totality again, t appears a lot of agreement the shred dogg is extremely capable and versatile in either wheel config. Maybe more so than a Pistol/Pistola?

Im after a bike that actually rolls though trail debris, chop and chunk in a way it doesn't hang and you dont feel a "tug" at every next hit as the bike is being slown down after many consecutive hits... something that kinda may be classified as a "hover bike" effect, something plush yet still has some nimble and playful attitude. Im aging and frankly dont want to feel as beat up and old anymore, and dont want the bike to be a limiting factor either. We have so many good bike options to choose from, but the flexibility offered in a GG is unreal and knowing what they are engineered to accomplish is awesome. Plus being local to me and handmade - win!

Any thoughts or perspective comparison of new Revved Shred vs Pistol/a? Which might be the better starting point?

I really like what Ben has done to tinker and post up here his experiences. I dont care that much about weight so being able to run coils is a bonus. I have a couple different air shock sizes (and some offset bushing kits - from tinkering on my current full suspension) that can be used on a shred or pistola. I have a ripping 29er steel hardtail and 27.5 full sus - so i would have an ability to run the GG in either wheel config pretty readily with a only short bit of garage time to swap.

Any perspective/experiences would be truly appreciated. I will plan to demo - but currently GG dont have a size 2 of anything built.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Pistola, run with a tall lower cup, snd a 150mm fork, might make for a sweet shortish travel 27.5/29 bike, maybe someone can chime in on B.B. heights with that set up?

Iíve contemplated a Mega Trail 27.5/29, but I donít know anything about tire clearance and B.B. height in this configuration.

I have a Pistola in the works, depending how that turns out I might give the MT stays a go.

The Shred with 29 x 2.6 is a pretty nice riding bike, doesnít feel too tall, rides fast.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    The Pistola, run with a tall lower cup, snd a 150mm fork, might make for a sweet shortish travel 27.5/29 bike, maybe someone can chime in on B.B. heights with that set up?

Iíve contemplated a Mega Trail 27.5/29, but I donít know anything about tire clearance and B.B. height in this configuration.

I have a Pistola in the works, depending how that turns out I might give the MT stays a go.

The Shred with 29 x 2.6 is a pretty nice riding bike, doesnít feel too tall, rides fast.
    I have actually been contemplating doing a mad dogg 120 with the lower cup. not sure how low the bb would be but my guess is pretty low. combined with a coil 120mm shock and maybe 140mm fox 36 i could imagine it being an absolute short travel ripper to compliment my smash setup

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Iím going lightweight on my Trail Pistol, SC34 120mm, tall lower cup to maintain B.B. height and geo, DPS EVOL (might use my extra DPX2), Shimano XT12sp, reusing wheels and cockpit, might build up sone carbon rims if the spirit moves me.

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn_violence View Post
    I have actually been contemplating doing a mad dogg 120 with the lower cup. not sure how low the bb would be but my guess is pretty low. combined with a coil 120mm shock and maybe 140mm fox 36 i could imagine it being an absolute short travel ripper to compliment my smash setup
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

always licking the glass
    so after spending likely far toooooo much time re-reading and educating myself, couple of things stand out:

ANY of the GG bikes can likely run both wheelsizes - 29 or 27.5. And that is without buying seat stay kits so in reality - find the 1 primary bike and knowing it can take on a different personality swapping wheels/fork - or shock - huge BONUS. (doesn't hurt you can buy the kits for something else and NOT buy a whole new bike).

So - now - which seat sty config is my biggest question. After reading this shred dogg forum in totality again, t appears a lot of agreement the shred dogg is extremely capable and versatile in either wheel config. Maybe more so than a Pistol/Pistola?

Im after a bike that actually rolls though trail debris, chop and chunk in a way it doesn't hang and you dont feel a "tug" at every next hit as the bike is being slown down after many consecutive hits... something that kinda may be classified as a "hover bike" effect, something plush yet still has some nimble and playful attitude. Im aging and frankly dont want to feel as beat up and old anymore, and dont want the bike to be a limiting factor either. We have so many good bike options to choose from, but the flexibility offered in a GG is unreal and knowing what they are engineered to accomplish is awesome. Plus being local to me and handmade - win!

Any thoughts or perspective comparison of new Revved Shred vs Pistol/a? Which might be the better starting point?

I really like what Ben has done to tinker and post up here his experiences. I dont care that much about weight so being able to run coils is a bonus. I have a couple different air shock sizes (and some offset bushing kits - from tinkering on my current full suspension) that can be used on a shred or pistola. I have a ripping 29er steel hardtail and 27.5 full sus - so i would have an ability to run the GG in either wheel config pretty readily with a only short bit of garage time to swap.

Any perspective/experiences would be truly appreciated. I will plan to demo - but currently GG dont have a size 2 of anything built.
    If you wanna throw a leg over a size 2 Shred Dogg, send me a PM. Iím a Bamf and youíre more than welcome to check it out and ask me questions.

I ran mine as both a plus and non-plus 650b with a 160mm fork running the tall cup. Itís more than capable and pretty fun, and now that DH season is almost over, Iím looking forward to getting some trail riding time on it.

I had the previous gen Shred Dogg and I couldnít ever get it to feel right. The new bike feels really stiff and responsive, so itís definitely required a bit of time to getting it more dialed in than the previous gen bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks for the offer Stripes!!! I may take you up...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    This bike is on my short list. I've narrowed it down to three bikes now.

I don't mind buying something I haven't ridden, I seem to do that a lot. Looking for info on sizing from current owners.

I'm 5'10" when I can stand up straight without back pain. I like to ride but would never call my riding hardcore or extreme. That whats causing some of my hesitation with the sizing and riding style "ALL AROUND" or "FULL THROTTLE." GG size configurator says ALL AROUND frame size 2 LONG with 60mm stem. The geometry in this configuration is in between my last two bikes.

My 150mm/130mm bike had longer reach, bigger wheelbase, etc and was very playful.

My 160mm/150mm is a near identical geometry match to the size 2 Shred Dogg.

I'm looking for a bike that is more playful/poppy/sporty/jumpy/etc than my 160mm/150mm bike.

My 150mm/130mm travel bike you could catch air by boosting off an acorn.......I want that playfulness back.

I'm just confused by the "ALL AROUND" or "FULL THROTTLE" size thing. Size 2 would be a near match in geo to my current bike which would make sense. Shorter chainstays and less travel should give it a more playful attitude.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is how does the bike ride in terms of it's geometry figures?

My 150mm/130mm bike had a longer reach, bigger wheelbase than the size 2 long was very poppy/playful/jumpy.........

Do I go with size 2 and play it safe, or go with size 3?

ALL AROUND just seems kind of like I never like to get rowdy.

FULL THROTTLE may not be most of my riding.....but on occasion I have been known to go 3/4 THROTTLE.

I would probable keep it in trail mode most of the time.....but being 5'10" I seem to always be between sizes....Should I go with size 2 or 3? Would like to hear some feedback on sizing and fit compared to your height.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    At 5'10" you are definitely a size 3, all the Full Throttle vs All Around stuff is not significant except for reach number and positioning the headset, but for changes in reach you would just flip the headset around to make it a shorter TT.

If you play with the calculator, you'll notice that cup position (long vs short) changes with height and riding style, as does stem length. I'm 6', ride aggressively, like a long reach, and prefer a short stem. So I ride a Size 3 in the long position, 35mm stem. I have ridden the Shred in the short position and it was okay, but I like to stretch out more and I found the short position a little more twitchy.

A size 2 is definitely a medium, folks down to 5'5" are riding it, so keep that in mind.

The 130 vs 140 suspension doesn't change fit, it just changes how the rear end feels. Most of us run plush cuz it feels cushier. GG bikes have a pretty supportive suspension, so it's not like being in plush mode makes it too soft.

I think a short back end makes the bike more playful, air suspension would probably be the way to go for that poppy feel. I haven't ridden in crush mode enough to know if it makes the bike poppier, but it certainly firms things up so I susect it would be more active.

Geometry wise, the short setting feels like a medium/large, long setting feels like a large, standover is average, post insertion is good, I wear a 32" inseam in most pants, run 165mm cranks, and I have a 210mm dropper with 10mm showing.

Most of my bikes are size large and I prefer a slightly longish reach.

What do you ride now?

Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    This bike is on my short list. I've narrowed it down to three bikes now.

I don't mind buying something I haven't ridden, I seem to do that a lot. Looking for info on sizing from current owners.

I'm 5'10" when I can stand up straight without back pain. I like to ride but would never call my riding hardcore or extreme. That whats causing some of my hesitation with the sizing and riding style "ALL AROUND" or "FULL THROTTLE." GG size configurator says ALL AROUND frame size 2 LONG with 60mm stem. The geometry in this configuration is in between my last two bikes.

My 150mm/130mm bike had longer reach, bigger wheelbase, etc and was very playful.

My 160mm/150mm is a near identical geometry match to the size 2 Shred Dogg.

I'm looking for a bike that is more playful/poppy/sporty/jumpy/etc than my 160mm/150mm bike.

My 150mm/130mm travel bike you could catch air by boosting off an acorn.......I want that playfulness back.

I'm just confused by the "ALL AROUND" or "FULL THROTTLE" size thing. Size 2 would be a near match in geo to my current bike which would make sense. Shorter chainstays and less travel should give it a more playful attitude.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is how does the bike ride in terms of it's geometry figures?

My 150mm/130mm bike had a longer reach, bigger wheelbase than the size 2 long was very poppy/playful/jumpy.........

Do I go with size 2 and play it safe, or go with size 3?

ALL AROUND just seems kind of like I never like to get rowdy.

FULL THROTTLE may not be most of my riding.....but on occasion I have been known to go 3/4 THROTTLE.

I would probable keep it in trail mode most of the time.....but being 5'10" I seem to always be between sizes....Should I go with size 2 or 3? Would like to hear some feedback on sizing and fit compared to your height.

Thanks!
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Go full throttle, 60mm stem seems a bit big.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    At 5'10" you are definitely a size 3, all the Full Throttle vs All Around stuff is not significant except for reach number and positioning the headset, but for changes in reach you would just flip the headset around to make it a shorter TT.

If you play with the calculator, you'll notice that cup position (long vs short) changes with height and riding style, as does stem length. I'm 6', ride aggressively, like a long reach, and prefer a short stem. So I ride a Size 3 in the long position, 35mm stem. I have ridden the Shred in the short position and it was okay, but I like to stretch out more and I found the short position a little more twitchy.

A size 2 is definitely a medium, folks down to 5'5" are riding it, so keep that in mind.

The 130 vs 140 suspension doesn't change fit, it just changes how the rear end feels. Most of us run plush cuz it feels cushier. GG bikes have a pretty supportive suspension, so it's not like being in plush mode makes it too soft.

I think a short back end makes the bike more playful, air suspension would probably be the way to go for that poppy feel. I haven't ridden in crush mode enough to know if it makes the bike poppier, but it certainly firms things up so I susect it would be more active.

Geometry wise, the short setting feels like a medium/large, long setting feels like a large, standover is average, post insertion is good, I wear a 32" inseam in most pants, run 165mm cranks, and I have a 210mm dropper with 10mm showing.

Most of my bikes are size large and I prefer a slightly longish reach.

What do you ride now?
    Right now I have a Bronson V3 in large. I really enjoy the bike and will be keeping it, however, I want a second bike in my garage. I want something shorter travel, and something that I can use for more trail orientated days, and use the Bronson for bike park/back up duty/bring a friend/lend to a friend days.

My large Bronson geometry is nearly identical to the Shred Dogg in size 2......that's why I was wondering. If size 2 is more of a medium then size 3 seems better. Santa Cruz geometry has always been on the conservative side.

I had a large Transition SBG Scout that had geometry closer to the size 3 Shred Dogg. The Scout SBG was playful even though it had a long wheelbase and reach. The Shred Dogg has even shorter chainstays which really interest me.

Just seems like a bike that has a good mix or balance for the riding I like.

always licking the glass
    Right now I have a Bronson V3 in large. I really enjoy the bike and will be keeping it, however, I want a second bike in my garage. I want something shorter travel, and something that I can use for more trail orientated days, and use the Bronson for bike park/back up duty/bring a friend/lend to a friend days.

My large Bronson geometry is nearly identical to the Shred Dogg in size 2......that's why I was wondering. If size 2 is more of a medium then size 3 seems better. Santa Cruz geometry has always been on the conservative side.

I had a large Transition SBG Scout that had geometry closer to the size 3 Shred Dogg. The Scout SBG was playful even though it had a long wheelbase and reach. The Shred Dogg has even shorter chainstays which really interest me.

This is definitely a poppy little bike i spend a lot of time dirt jumping mine, and itís pretty easy to get airborne since thatís your thing. Iím 5í4Ē but a large ape factor for my size, so I ride a size 2 long with a 35mm stem and 780mm bars.

You can feel how short the chainstays are on this bike. Despite it has a really long wheelbase, itís really easy to flick around.

The AL shred dogg I liked with plus tires, but this one Iím riding on 2.6 DHF front and 2.6 rekon rear for now. When I took it to the park, I rode it with double down DHF WT 2.5 front and rear. I might try it with a DHR2 2.6 in the front next because that might be a better mate to the Rekon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Large Bronson and Large Scout?

Definitely a size 3, short with a short stem

Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I know there's videos out there but not on the Shred Dogg itself. I want to know about that bike and how it rides not a Smash or Megatrail.

The numbers of the Shred Dogg looks like it would be a fun bike with the short rear end.
    I feel the same......I believe I found a shop to test ride a SD.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just came across the 666 secret menu......I was wondering if anyone has tried there Shred Dogg as a Mad Dogg 120?

This seems to be more of what I'm looking for in a trail bike.

I wasn't able to demo the bike I found hear on the East Coast yet.

Our trail systems here are more grind up, grind down with very little reward on the downs. Having a bike that I can switch out the rear shock and change travel sounds even more appealing for when I get out of my local riding and need a little extra travel.

Is there any way to find out geometry figures for the secret menu items? Curious to how low the bottom bracket gets in Mad Dogg set up?

Too lazy for words
    Apr 2019
    I just did a first ride on my Shred Dogg yesterday on my local midwest trail(mellow singletrack with roots and small drops) The ride quality is great! But I prefer a bit stiffer feel ride since my friend lent me his 2.8 tires and aluminium wheelset.

I had it set up long and gravity mode, running a diamond 37mm offset upfront and bomber cr avvy tuned at the rear. I'm riding at 150 lbs with a 400lbs coil. The shock feels active and no bob at all, but not as good for pedaling vs a maestro suspension with air shock. I find the ride a bit on a damped side. I'm sure the 2.8 tires contribute quite a bit too in that regard.

I will be lacing a pair of chinese carbon on i9 to see how that will feel.

Overall I like the geo and it climbs okay and descend unsurprisingly better than my Trance while being able to pop and be playful at the same time. It ate small rocks and bumps along the trail begging to hit jankier lines. Bike is definitely overkill for my home trail. I will try it again on Trail mode to see how will that feel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I just did a first ride on my Shred Dogg yesterday on my local midwest trail(mellow singletrack with roots and small drops) The ride quality is great! But I prefer a bit stiffer feel ride since my friend lent me his 2.8 tires and aluminium wheelset.

I had it set up long and gravity mode, running a diamond 37mm offset upfront and bomber cr avvy tuned at the rear. I'm riding at 150 lbs with a 400lbs coil. The shock feels active and no bob at all, but not as good for pedaling vs a maestro suspension with air shock. I find the ride a bit on a damped side. I'm sure the 2.8 tires contribute quite a bit too in that regard.

I will be lacing a pair of chinese carbon on i9 to see how that will feel.

Overall I like the geo and it climbs okay and descend unsurprisingly better than my Trance while being able to pop and be playful at the same time. It ate small rocks and bumps along the trail begging to hit jankier lines. Bike is definitely overkill for my home trail. I will try it again on Trail mode to see how will that feel.
    Try Plush, you'll get more travel and it'll feel less damp. That's a stiff spring for your weight, I've got 50# on you and I run a 400# coil on a CR. I could probably ride a 450# if I wanted a firmer ride. Check your sag, I'd be surprised if you're using all your travel.

The 2.8' add a bit of undampened suspension, run run em firm to reduce that variable.

Glad you like it, now all you need is a coil fork
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Too lazy for words
    Apr 2019
    Try Plush, you'll get more travel and it'll feel less damp. That's a stiff spring for your weight, I've got 50# on you and I run a 400# coil on a CR. I could probably ride a 450# if I wanted a firmer ride. Check your sag, I'd be surprised if you're using all your travel.

The 2.8' add a bit of undampened suspension, run run em firm to reduce that variable.

Glad you like it, now all you need is a coil fork
    Oh I meant the spring is a bit on the soft side. I was expecting it to be stiff as GG and a lot of people here in the forums recommended a 350# spring.

Craig told me to turn up the low speed compression and 2 full turn on preload. I have only been riding on Gravity mode which is the plush.

I cased a jump yesterday but I'm not quite sure if it bottom out or not. No harsh feel at all. On the chunk, its really stable and supportive.

Thinking of getting a coil for 29er. Maybe a converted pike or lyrik. I like the feel of diamond right now. Fork boost oil helps quite a bit on the stiction

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I just came across the 666 secret menu......I was wondering if anyone has tried there Shred Dogg as a Mad Dogg 120?

This seems to be more of what I'm looking for in a trail bike.

Our trail systems here are more grind up, grind down with very little reward on the downs. Having a bike that I can switch out the rear shock and change travel sounds even more appealing for when I get out of my local riding and need a little extra travel.

Is there any way to find out geometry figures for the secret menu items? Curious to how low the bottom bracket gets in Mad Dogg set up?
    I wonder if with modern geometry and properly set up suspension the 10-20mm travel changes matter that much in either direction. Not directly applicable to your case but I have been riding a 2018 Shred Dogg now Megatrail on the same fork (Fox 36 factory 160mm) and shock (Fox DPX2 factory) since last year and have ridden SD trail and gravity mode, then MT trail and gravity mode during that time. My shock stays full open unless I am going to be on a fire road for more than 10 minutes. I would be hard-pressed to find any real deficiency in climbing prowess or "funability" on mellow trails across that range. Having ridden the SD for a year and having converted it to a MT, I see no reason at all to go back.

Not saying you need to go buy the biggest bike you can just because you can; but my experience on my bike is that the trade-off is not that dramatic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I wonder if with modern geometry and properly set up suspension the 10-20mm travel changes matter that much in either direction. Not directly applicable to your case but I have been riding a 2018 Shred Dogg now Megatrail on the same fork (Fox 36 factory 160mm) and shock (Fox DPX2 factory) since last year and have ridden SD trail and gravity mode, then MT trail and gravity mode during that time. My shock stays full open unless I am going to be on a fire road for more than 10 minutes. I would be hard-pressed to find any real deficiency in climbing prowess or "funability" on mellow trails across that range. Having ridden the SD for a year and having converted it to a MT, I see no reason at all to go back.

Not saying you need to go buy the biggest bike you can just because you can; but my experience on my bike is that the trade-off is not that dramatic.

I think on some bikes they do, but glad to hear that it doesnít on the GG. I had a SC Nomad V3 with 170/165mm travel and it was completely different than my current Bronson V3 at 160/150mm. My Bronson hides its travel pretty good, but Iím really after a mid travel trail bike.

One of the bikes that I wish I never sold was my Transition Scout which was 150/125mm.
    The Scout had modern geometry, short chainstays, and it was the most playful bike that could still get rowdy. Really thinking the Shred Dogg will be the bike that fits what Iím looking for, and with all the adjustments, hacks and encouragement to tinker I think it is what Iím looking for.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Oh I meant the spring is a bit on the soft side. I was expecting it to be stiff as GG and a lot of people here in the forums recommended a 350# spring.

Craig told me to turn up the low speed compression and 2 full turn on preload. I have only been riding on Gravity mode which is the plush.

I cased a jump yesterday but I'm not quite sure if it bottom out or not. No harsh feel at all. On the chunk, its really stable and supportive.

Thinking of getting a coil for 29er. Maybe a converted pike or lyrik. I like the feel of diamond right now. Fork boost oil helps quite a bit on the stiction
    So I had my CR tuned in Reno, the goal was to balance the ride front to rear, so might damping is very light, much of what Craig does is what my tuner did, but cheaper and faster

I have a 400# coil on the CR and a 50# Smashpot coil in a Bomber Z1. I could probably go up to 450# out back and 55# up front, but I kinda like the way it rides and I rarely use all my travel.

So I run full open compression on the fork and shock, occasionally adding a 1/4 turn on the fork and very rarely adding a few clicks on the shock, the goal being for the front and back to feel balanced; see Dougal for his "harmonic balance" spiel.

If you like coils, the Smashpot is amazing!
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

always licking the glass
    I think on some bikes they do, but glad to hear that it doesnít on the GG. I had a SC Nomad V3 with 170/165mm travel and it was completely different than my current Bronson V3 at 160/150mm. My Bronson hides its travel pretty good, but Iím really after a mid travel trail bike.

One of the bikes that I wish I never sold was my Transition Scout which was 150/125mm.
    The Scout had modern geometry, short chainstays, and it was the most playful bike that could still get rowdy. Really thinking the Shred Dogg will be the bike that fits what Iím looking for, and with all the adjustments, hacks and encouragement to tinker I think it is what Iím looking for.
    The Scout was on my list when I came across the Shred Dogg. I run mine as a 160mm/130mm and it's sounds like what you're looking for. It's a really fun bike, and if you want it for longer DH runs, you can run it as a 160mm/140mm. I've run the Revved Shred Dogg at the bike park at 140mm (gravity mode), but for more things, I like it really poppy at 130mm (trail mode).

I also run mine with a stiffer spring (500 lb vs 450 lb), and it feels better in both trail and gravity mode. The good news is it's a 30 second bolt change to convert it to and from gravity and trail mode

I've also run it as a plus bike with 2.8 front / 2.6 rear, 2.6 front and rear, and 2.5 front and rear. It's a really versatile bike for just about anything.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The Scout was on my list when I came across the Shred Dogg. I run mine as a 160mm/130mm and it's sounds like what you're looking for. It's a really fun bike, and if you want it for longer DH runs, you can run it as a 160mm/140mm. I've run the Revved Shred Dogg at the bike park at 140mm (gravity mode), but for more things, I like it really poppy at 130mm (trail mode).

I also run mine with a stiffer spring (500 lb vs 450 lb), and it feels better in both trail and gravity mode. The good news is it's a 30 second bolt change to convert it to and from gravity and trail mode

I've also run it as a plus bike with 2.8 front / 2.6 rear, 2.6 front and rear, and 2.5 front and rear. It's a really versatile bike for just about anything.
    The versatility of the bike has me sold. Being able to change travel, change wheel size, and even suspension kinematics is a great feature. My only hesitation now is how the bike rides.

Still trying to get to a demo bike.....even a parking lot demo at this point will give me a little intuition on how the bike will be on the trail.

Hopefully this weekend I can get on one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    So the Shred is quite a bit more versatile than I'd first thought: Rekon 29 x 2.6

Name:	IMG_2592.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	1264781

Name:	IMG_2593 (1).jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	1264783

Pictures are with the suspension FULLY COMPRESSED, suspension set up in Plush mode (140mm travel), fits with room to spare (+15mm to ST, +10mm to swingarm.

I didn't run the wheels because my Fox 36 27.5 fork doesn't take a 29er, but I may need to change that ... I'm thinking of getting a Fox 36 29 x 160mm, then run a low cup; currently run a tall cup.

She'll run on the tall side, but for some kinds of riding that might not be a bad thing: Pedal Clearance!!
    I presume you checked bottom out with your Bomber CR coil shock? Because the rubber bottom out bumper on a coil shock effectively reduces travel for the last 5-10mm of shock stroke so if that's the case, there's definitely a chance of tire touching the seat tube at hard bottom-out when that rubber bumper pancakes. Should let people know that - it's a safety issue. Guessing it's fine if you run in the 130mm setting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Iím pretty sure I checked it initially with the air shock, but Iíve ridden it with both, no issues with clearance, quite a lot of clearance Clarence 😊

I didnít try it in the 130mm setting, but I think youíre misunderstanding how the two travel settings work. The reduction in travel is due to a more progressive travel via shock mount position, shock is the same stroke.

Love having safety gurus hanging about, keeps me from being that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jaks View Post
    I presume you checked bottom out with your Bomber CR coil shock? Because the rubber bottom out bumper on a coil shock effectively reduces travel for the last 5-10mm of shock stroke so if that's the case, there's definitely a chance of tire touching the seat tube at hard bottom-out when that rubber bumper pancakes. Should let people know that - it's a safety issue. Guessing it's fine if you run in the 130mm setting.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Good to know there's clearance even with an air shock. That's kind of amazing with the short stays, but then again my old Canfield Riot had even shorter stays with 140mm so I guess it's not impossible.