GG MegaSmash ?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 38 of 38

Thread: GG MegaSmash ?

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SuperWookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    76

    GG MegaSmash ?

    Got another question for you guys. I noticed a few weeks ago a secret menu from GG. I can get a Mega Smash, that has the Smash bike with the Mega Trail rear suspension. Giving you more travel at 155/165. But.. it's a 27.5" wheel. I did research on these "mullet" bikes and I'm having a hard time finding ANY reason to not do this. But, I just wanted to check with people that are a lot more knowledgeable.

    So I know the advantages to running a mullet setup, but are there ANY disadvantages. And specifically, what will putting the slightly smaller wheel on the bike do to the geometry of the bike. And even more specifically, for someone like myself that is really tall? Will there be any negatives, or just positives?

    Will it affect the STA? The HTA? The bottom bracket height? How much shorter will the Chainstay length be? It looks like it only gets 2mm shorter?

    Because from all the articles I read, it sounds like going mullet is the best of both worlds. 29" wheel in front to really dig in and roll over shit. But quicker handling and faster pedaling acceleration in the bike. But... a few of those articles say something about if your a short rider, a mullet bike is great for you. Which then makes me think as a really tall rider, it might not be good for me?

    I'd MUCH rather get the MegaSmash and that extra 10-20mm rear travel! Then I could run my fork at 160-180. What do you think about getting the Mega Smash?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    784
    Re height, my wife is 5'2" and has trouble getting on her 26 inch bike. 29er is probably out of the question.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,383
    Iíve run mullet a few times, Smash, Shred, and Mutz. Itís not all that.

    I found it to be no better than same sized wheels, feels wonky, rides wonky, worst of both worlds.

    Sorry to be that guy...

    But, if you want to do it, you need a 29er fork. A to C increases about 15mm going from 27.5Ē to 29Ē forks.
    GG Megatrail (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

  4. #4
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    10,193
    Personally I wouldn't hesitate. And I'm no fan of 27.5" wheels.

    I ran my AF Smash mullet a couple of times. Liked the downs but hated the ups. But it's not fair to paint the MegaSmash with that brush because my aluminum bike's frame and swingarm aren't modular -- I just slipped a 27.5" rear wheel into a frame that was designed for 29/29". This lowered the rear of the bike which slacked out the HA & STA. Climbing on it was awful. Well, long climbs anyway. I'm 6'2" and don't get along with slack STAs. Loved the slacker HA, tho.

    Anyway when you order a Revved MegaSmash, you get an integrated frame system that's designed around the parameters of each wheel size's optimal performance to make the complete system.

    I'm sure the MegaSmash as designed by GG handles much better than my cobbled together affair. Well, except maybe on fast downhill sections. Maybe.

    But I do a lot of climbing. I've got to have a bike that ascends just as well as it descends, so I went back to my 29" rear wheel. Ahhhhhhh.

    I'd love 155mm-ish travel tho, combined with a 170-180mm fork. Mmmm...
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SuperWookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    76
    Hmmmm, mixed reviews. Not good. I just don't understand why GG doesn't make a long travel 29er? It makes NO sense that they have a long travel 27.5" option, but the longest 29 is only 145. Very strange. Maybe they have a 160-170 29" rear end coming out soon? Or in the works? One can only hope

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,383
    Totally agree, and Iím sure theyíre thinking the same, so you could wait...

    You can run 29Ē wheels on a Mega, depending on tires, trail mode for sure fits a 2.5, of course bb height is raised.

    If you wanna play with mullet and 29er set ups, want more travel, and look to the future for a long travel 29er, get a Mega now and run a low cup/29Ē fork.

    A 170mm fork would be a nice middle of the road without being a chopper.

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperWookie View Post
    Hmmmm, mixed reviews. Not good. I just don't understand why GG doesn't make a long travel 29er? It makes NO sense that they have a long travel 27.5" option, but the longest 29 is only 145. Very strange. Maybe they have a 160-170 29" rear end coming out soon? Or in the works? One can only hope
    GG Megatrail (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SuperWookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Totally agree, and Iím sure theyíre thinking the same, so you could wait...

    You can run 29Ē wheels on a Mega, depending on tires, trail mode for sure fits a 2.5, of course bb height is raised.

    If you wanna play with mullet and 29er set ups, want more travel, and look to the future for a long travel 29er, get a Mega now and run a low cup/29Ē fork.

    A 170mm fork would be a nice middle of the road without being a chopper.

    Oh! You can run a 29" wheel on the Mega rear? I had no idea! So I could get the MegaSmash, then run a 29x2.5 or smaller wheel in back and that would work?

    And do you know how much the BB height would be raised? And will it make any difference? If it doesn't raise it too much or affect the ride much, then that sounds like a great way to go! Then I can get more rear travel AND keep 29" wheels front and back.

  8. #8
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    10,193
    Give GG a call and tell them what you're thinking of doing. They'll talk you down safely.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,383
    Iím playing with bikes today, so Iíll swap in a couple rear wheels with shock aired down, get you some measurements.

    The BB height increase, all things suspension static using the base info GG posted in build info, add half the difference in wheel diameter. Figure on 10-15mm.

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperWookie View Post
    Oh! You can run a 29" wheel on the Mega rear? I had no idea! So I could get the MegaSmash, then run a 29x2.5 or smaller wheel in back and that would work?

    And do you know how much the BB height would be raised? And will it make any difference? If it doesn't raise it too much or affect the ride much, then that sounds like a great way to go! Then I can get more rear travel AND keep 29" wheels front and back.
    GG Megatrail (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

  10. #10
    fraid of heights
    Reputation: stiingya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,744
    It does effect the geo when the bike isn't made for it; it will slacken the HT/ST/reduce reach, lower the BB (if putting a smaller wheel on the back of a 29er), etc. It's a Bummer the Secret Menu doesn't have what the geo changes would be. I think for some people the geo change will be a huge deal, for others not so much. (most of us have overforked which does all the same things except raises instead of lowers the BB)

    Same with the ride, I think some people will love it, some won't notice it as much and some just won't like the different feel. I also think it depends on the bike and type of rider.

    I love it on my HT! But I used the same rear wheel on the Sentinel I got this winter to try it out as a mullet and it was fine, but it wasn't the HUGE positive obviously better change like it was on my hardtail. Granted I only rode some winter desert trails and the 2.8" on a 45IW rubbed like crazy, and the slacker seat angle on a FS bike puts more weight to the rear. And even though I slammed my seat forward to help I still didn't get the shock feeling balanced though a lot of that was not having volume spacers for it at the time. (pry also how linear the Sentinel is?) And lets not forget the dick who sold me the Sentinel had a +1/steeper angleset on it without letting me know so my STA was already slacker...

    Anyway, so on the Sentinel I haven't rushed out to buy another 27.5 ~35 IW rear wheel to give it another try. But it is my intention to do so one of these days! (OR I'm gonna get another bike, or another frame, or send out the shock, or buy a new shock, or now probably just put my money into ammo and toilet paper) My guess/interpretation of what I hear about GG bikes is that they have a lot more ramp up/anti squat than the current Sentinel and so a slacker STA probably isn't going to have as much effect.

    One thing with GG is they have that 30 day satisfaction guarantee and my guess is they would work with you if you bought a mega smash and hated it and wanted to swap things out for another set up??? (obviously I can't speak for them)

    Anyway, I just rode my mullet HT and it's still awesome...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,383
    Okay, so the Megatrail fits 29 x 2.6 Rekons on Duroc 40 at full compression with 15-20mm clearance to the seat tube in TRAIL MODE ONLY.

    BB height is 360mm with a 2.6, so figure 355mm with a 2.5 set up.

    GG MegaSmash ?-160146ce-f523-47e2-ab5c-e9a5f5be7d2d.jpeg


    In Gravity mode, the tire solidly hits the seat tube, so no bueno. I doubt even a 2.4 would be safe.

    GG MegaSmash ?-53e407e9-7c26-4546-83c3-42a97d31ca5e.jpeg


    ... and the final shabang, Super Megatrail 29er, felt really good just hopping around, gonna ride it tomorrow for a shakedown.

    GG MegaSmash ?-a1ced218-2fba-4157-a19b-a94894b17f94.jpeg

    Gotta love that fork, damn it handles nice.
    GG Megatrail (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Okay, so the Megatrail fits 29 x 2.6 Rekons at full compression with 15-20mm clearance to the seat tube in TRAIL MODE ONLY. BB height is 360mm with a 2.6, so figure 355mm with a 2.5 set up.

    Attachment 1318647

    In Gravity mode, the tire solidly hits the seat, so no bueno in the longer travel setting.

    Attachment 1318649

    ... and the final shabang, Super Megatrail 29er:

    Attachment 1318653
    That's exactly what GG told me also. I asked about a longer swingarm, but then I got offtrack and never got an answer. I'll really only run 2.4's on the rear, very rarely the Vittoria Moto 2.5 may make it back there if conditions are stupid soupy.

  13. #13
    fraid of heights
    Reputation: stiingya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A1CED218-2FBA-4157-A19B-A94894B17F94.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	1318669
    with that fork it's a Super Mega Trapezoid...

  14. #14
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    10,193
    Quote Originally Posted by stiingya View Post
    with that fork it's a Super Mega Trapezoid...
    I'm going with Praying Mantizoid.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  15. #15
    always licking the glass
    Reputation: stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,946
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Iíve run mullet a few times, Smash, Shred, and Mutz. Itís not all that.

    I found it to be no better than same sized wheels, feels wonky, rides wonky, worst of both worlds.

    Sorry to be that guy...

    But, if you want to do it, you need a 29er fork. A to C increases about 15mm going from 27.5Ē to 29Ē forks.
    I agree with you. I rode around a demo Megasmash for a bit and hated it with a passion. Felt like a full suspension Big Wheel.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

  16. #16
    battle stag commander
    Reputation: planetx88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    96
    Just posted about this elsewhere, but I just resroked my shock to 230X62.5, removing one shaft spacer. I would now comfortably run a full dh casing mud spike. Currently have a 29 dd casing dhr 2.4 on there with about 3/8" clearance, photos forthcoming.

    Driveway bounce feels like I need to set sag properly, so nothing to report other than it fits. But it fits!

  17. #17
    battle stag commander
    Reputation: planetx88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    96
    also, megatrails stays, in gravity mode. important details.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SuperWookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Okay, so the Megatrail fits 29 x 2.6 Rekons on Duroc 40 at full compression with 15-20mm clearance to the seat tube in TRAIL MODE ONLY.

    BB height is 360mm with a 2.6, so figure 355mm with a 2.5 set up.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	160146CE-F523-47E2-AB5C-E9A5F5BE7D2D.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	1318673


    In Gravity mode, the tire solidly hits the seat tube, so no bueno. I doubt even a 2.4 would be safe.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53E407E9-7C26-4546-83C3-42A97D31CA5E.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	1318667


    ... and the final shabang, Super Megatrail 29er, felt really good just hopping around, gonna ride it tomorrow for a shakedown.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A1CED218-2FBA-4157-A19B-A94894B17F94.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	1318669

    Gotta love that fork, damn it handles nice.
    Thanks for all of that Ben! You didn't have to do that. But thank. That's helpful info.

    And WHAT is that fork you have on that GG?! That thing is CRAZY looking!!!

  19. #19
    battle stag commander
    Reputation: planetx88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperWookie View Post

    And WHAT is that fork you have on that GG?! That thing is CRAZY looking!!!
    Man you really gotta waste more time on the interwebz...that be a Trust fork, Dave Weagle's foray into linkage fork suspension.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,383
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperWookie View Post
    Thanks for all of that Ben! You didn't have to do that. But thank. That's helpful info.

    And WHAT is that fork you have on that GG?! That thing is CRAZY looking!!!
    That's my Shout fork, it's awesomesauce

    I rode the SuperMegatrail a couple times with the 29er wheels and wile it was not terrible, it was not all that fun either. I much prefer 27.5 wheels, so I already swapped back.
    GG Megatrail (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

  21. #21
    always licking the glass
    Reputation: stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,946
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperWookie View Post
    Thanks for all of that Ben! You didn't have to do that. But thank. That's helpful info.

    And WHAT is that fork you have on that GG?! That thing is CRAZY looking!!!
    Ben has tried every configuration out there. Props to him!

    Super Wookie- what made you decide the megasmash?
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SuperWookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    That's my Shout fork, it's awesomesauce

    I rode the SuperMegatrail a couple times with the 29er wheels and wile it was not terrible, it was not all that fun either. I much prefer 27.5 wheels, so I already swapped back.

    I looked that THING up and it's wild!!! Very interesting idea and seems like it has great potential. But also some major downfalls. I think its cool though that companies are out there trying to always innovate and come up with better ways of doing something. It looks crazy, but from the reviews I was reading about it, lap times are much faster with that fork and has a lot of positives.

    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    Ben has tried every configuration out there. Props to him!

    Super Wookie- what made you decide the megasmash?
    Well, I'm looking at a few bikes. The GGS was the first one, but now, I'm probably going to have more money than I originally thought (yay!). So now two other bikes I had at the top of my list (but weren't a reality because of cost) are back in play. And they have more travel.

    But I wanted to still explore whether or not getting a MegaSmash was a good idea. Because I want a bike with more travel. So the Megasmash has more travel. But.... it has that 27.5" wheel in the back and I had NO idea if it's good or not. But just reading some of the comments here, and on a few other forums (that aren't online bike mags and paid to sell stuff) it seems like a mullet is NOT the best way to go. So now I'm back to just considering a regular Smash along with the other two bikes

  23. #23
    fraid of heights
    Reputation: stiingya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,744
    Maybe the rumored long travel Smash will make an appearance before you make your buyin decision...?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SuperWookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by stiingya View Post
    Maybe the rumored long travel Smash will make an appearance before you make your buyin decision...?
    If they change their suspension system and put out a 160/170mm bike that crushes down, but also pedals well and climbs respectably, then I'd be ALL over that bike! I'll be purchasing my bike more than likely, in the next month or three at the latest. So....I'll just wait until then

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    51
    For me, I just switched from a smash to a megasmash and felt no ill effects considering the positives. But keep in mind, I've got short short little legs so I'm a prime candidate to realize the benefits of a smaller rear wheel. I felt it pedaled almost as well as a Smash in Trail Mode (Gravity mode is another story - its not designed to pedal and that is immediately apparent...). Probably for a full day epic, I'd switch to the smash stays, but otherwise, it pedals just fine. Positives. Gravity mode feels like a mini DH bike. Steering feels fine and felt no ill effects running a 160 29er fork. Hope that helps. I'd also suggest calling GG and chatting with them about this question.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF in Golden, CO

    I like rocks

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,383
    The Megatrail in mullet mode offers way more travel (155/165) than the Megasmash which the OP wants, but you are committed to the mullet way which means a substantially slacker hta (-1-1.5 deg) and a higher bb +(10mm); depending on lower cup height and travel choice. Alternatively, the Megasmash drops the bb and decreases HTA.

    Hmmm, seems like a little feedback is in order, so what Iím gonna do is swap in a front 29er wheel (need a decent tire) and Iíll drop it into Gravity mode, get some measurement, and Iíll ride it for the week.

    Quote Originally Posted by pianoman84d View Post
    For me, I just switched from a smash to a megasmash and felt no ill effects considering the positives. But keep in mind, I've got short short little legs so I'm a prime candidate to realize the benefits of a smaller rear wheel. I felt it pedaled almost as well as a Smash in Trail Mode (Gravity mode is another story - its not designed to pedal and that is immediately apparent...). Probably for a full day epic, I'd switch to the smash stays, but otherwise, it pedals just fine. Positives. Gravity mode feels like a mini DH bike. Steering feels fine and felt no ill effects running a 160 29er fork. Hope that helps. I'd also suggest calling GG and chatting with them about this question.
    GG Megatrail (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    The Megatrail in mullet mode offers way more travel (155/165) than the Megasmash which the OP wants, but you are committed to the mullet way which means a substantially slacker hta (-1-1.5 deg) and a higher bb +(10mm); depending on lower cup height and travel choice. Alternatively, the Megasmash drops the bb and decreases HTA.

    Hmmm, seems like a little feedback is in order, so what Iím gonna do is swap in a front 29er wheel (need a decent tire) and Iíll drop it into Gravity mode, get some measurement, and Iíll ride it for the week.
    Ben, I'm confused. The megatrail in mullet mode and megasmash have the exact same rear wheel travel (since they are the same thing). By my unscientific measurements, the megasmash in trail mode with a 29er 160 fork and the short lower headset cup has roughly the same geo as the megatrail with a 170 fork. Gravity mode it lowers the BB a bit and slackens everything out. So geo wise, it feels like I can pedal up in trail mode and basically have the Smash's geo. So what do you mean?
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF in Golden, CO

    I like rocks

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    51
    Do you mean just sticking a 29er front wheel in what is otherwise a megatrail (leaving the taller headset cup and 27.5 fork)? Because yeah, I agree that would slack things out more than what I've done.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF in Golden, CO

    I like rocks

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,383
    I run a longish fork (Shout ~ 180mm) on the Mega, so I use the short lower cup.

    I donít know what stays the Megasmash uses, but if they use the Megatrail stays then yes, even with a short lower cup and a reduced travel fork, the bb will be high.

    I ran this set up a couple weeks ago and posted pics. In this configuration you cannot run a 29Ē wheel in Gravity mode, so 155mm travel is max unless you go to a 27.5 rear wheel.

    I suggested a mullet because Wookie had mentioned it as an option and because itís the most travel you can get with a 29Ē front wheel.

    The issue with running Mullet and Gravity mode is you are literally doubling (tripling) the ďslack effectĒ of the HTA, , and no one is going to run a 160mm fork do you are realistically looking at 170-180mm fork, so super dopier slack, but maybe some folks would like that.

    Quote Originally Posted by pianoman84d View Post
    Ben, I'm confused. The megatrail in mullet mode and megasmash have the exact same rear wheel travel (since they are the same thing). By my unscientific measurements, the megasmash in trail mode with a 29er 160 fork and the short lower headset cup has roughly the same geo as the megatrail with a 170 fork. Gravity mode it lowers the BB a bit and slackens everything out. So geo wise, it feels like I can pedal up in trail mode and basically have the Smash's geo. So what do you mean?
    GG Megatrail (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    51
    Well the MegaSmash uses the Megatrail seat stays and a 27.5 rear wheel. It is the Megatrail with a 29er front end. And I guess i'm the exception since I am running it with a 29er 160 fork. I do agree that it would be too much to pedal around with a 180 fork on it. In gravity mode it was not too slack. So I think my conclusion is that if you want to run the megasmash, don't go longer than 160 or 170 up front...
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF in Golden, CO

    I like rocks

  31. #31
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    10,193
    Quote Originally Posted by pianoman84d View Post
    Well the MegaSmash uses the Megatrail seat stays and a 27.5 rear wheel. It is the Megatrail with a 29er front end. And I guess i'm the exception since I am running it with a 29er 160 fork. I do agree that it would be too much to pedal around with a 180 fork on it. In gravity mode it was not too slack. So I think my conclusion is that if you want to run the megasmash, don't go longer than 160 or 170 up front...
    This makes sense to me. I have a regular olí Smash (AF) so canít do modular stay changes but am under the impression that when employing MegaTrail stays on the Revved frames, proper geo and BB height are maintained when running the smaller (27.5Ē) rear wheel even when combined with a 29Ē front end.

    What I didnít like about running my AF Smash in mullet mode is since the seatstays are designed for a 29Ē wheel, the seatstays are too short for a 27.5Ē wheel. That is to say with the stock 29Ē frame the rear of the bike is lowered when installing a smaller diameter rear wheel which slacks the bike out. I assume combining the MegaTrail rear end with the Smash front end keeps the bikeís angles within parameters plus keeps the BB height appropriate.

    Speaking of which... with the new Revved / modular frames, is it just the seatstays that are swapped out? Or is it both seatstays and chainstays?

    Iím curious on this point because I donít see any reason to change chainstays unless the 27.5/MegaTrail chainstays are shorter (in order to maximize benefits of the smaller diameter rear wheel.) I know that not everyone wants short chainstays but anyway... like I said, just curious.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  32. #32
    battle stag commander
    Reputation: planetx88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    I ... am under the impression that when employing MegaTrail stays on the Revved frames, proper geo and BB height are maintained when running the smaller (27.5Ē) rear wheel even when combined with a 29Ē front end.

    Speaking of which... with the new Revved / modular frames, is it just the seatstays that are swapped out? Or is it both seatstays and chainstays?
    =sParty
    There is actually a bit more going on here, and unfortunately, going from a 14mm cup to 0 cup when switching from 27.5 front, to 29 front only accounts for part of the increased height in the front end. Between larger wheels and an increased axle to crown height, you gain a bit over 30mm in vertical (not just axle to crown) height. Subtracting 14mm from that still leaves somewhere around 17-18mm higher in the front end. As Ben eluded to above, this is a 1-1.5 degree HA change, and something like a 345mm bb height in gravity mode. Somewhere in the GG forum, in some thread thread from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, there are some more details on this ol' mullet issue. I'll have to check those numbers again. From new, I ran a megatrail with 0 cup and 29 fork at 170mm, mostly with 27.5 front wheel, which itself is a 6mm increase in a-c height. I did occasionally swap a 29 wheel in there, mostly park days, and found little use for it on regular rides. What I will say is that if you like the megatrail, but want a bit more on park days or shuttle days, its still a great option. It was just a bit silly on pedalling days, and even on rowdy downs, it was not it.

    As for long travel 29 options, you've got megatrail in trail mode, and also the reduced stroke shock, to 230x62.5mm, so you can run in gravity mode and with no accurate way to measure (duct tape, yard stick, paper, sharpies, beer), I think i'm getting 158-ish mm rear travel. This does very nearly preserve geo in trail and gravity mode.

    Also, just seatstays. Chainstays are the same across models for each size.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by planetx88 View Post
    There is actually a bit more going on here, and unfortunately, going from a 14mm cup to 0 cup when switching from 27.5 front, to 29 front only accounts for part of the increased height in the front end. Between larger wheels and an increased axle to crown height, you gain a bit over 30mm in vertical (not just axle to crown) height. Subtracting 14mm from that still leaves somewhere around 17-18mm higher in the front end. As Ben eluded to above, this is a 1-1.5 degree HA change, and something like a 345mm bb height in gravity mode. Somewhere in the GG forum, in some thread thread from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, there are some more details on this ol' mullet issue. I'll have to check those numbers again. From new, I ran a megatrail with 0 cup and 29 fork at 170mm, mostly with 27.5 front wheel, which itself is a 6mm increase in a-c height. I did occasionally swap a 29 wheel in there, mostly park days, and found little use for it on regular rides. What I will say is that if you like the megatrail, but want a bit more on park days or shuttle days, its still a great option. It was just a bit silly on pedalling days, and even on rowdy downs, it was not it.

    As for long travel 29 options, you've got megatrail in trail mode, and also the reduced stroke shock, to 230x62.5mm, so you can run in gravity mode and with no accurate way to measure (duct tape, yard stick, paper, sharpies, beer), I think i'm getting 158-ish mm rear travel. This does very nearly preserve geo in trail and gravity mode.

    Also, just seatstays. Chainstays are the same across models for each size.
    What front travel are you assuming up front for the math?

    In any event, all I can go on is feel and i'm saying that with a 160 fork on the megasmash in trail mode it climbed and traversed just fine and gravity mode was an absolute hoot.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF in Golden, CO

    I like rocks

  34. #34
    battle stag commander
    Reputation: planetx88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    96
    youre totally right, if it feels good, then it works. Im running 170mm up front. My setup is pretty quirky and not a great comparison for other folks. It seems like there are many many different gg setups as there are gg owners. these are great tinkering bikes. Fun to hear about them all.

    Also- heck else am I doin right now?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    32
    I have the revved MegaSmash, it replaced a 2017 Carbon Transition Patrol and I can honestly say the MegaSmash is better in every way. I have the Fox DHX2 and 170MM 29er Fox fork.

    In trail mode, I consistently make tech climbs that I rarely cleaned on my Patrol and on the downs I swear itís about 50% smoother! In gravity mode I am not making all the tech climbs I did in trail mode, but still cleaning more stuff then when on the Patrol! Iím going to keep it in gravity mode as the increase in DH fun is worth the slight amount of technical climbing ability lost.

    I ride in NorCal which is very rocky and rough, I canít wait to get it up to Tahoe this summer and hopefully Santa Cruz and Pacifica as soon as the travel restrictions are lifted.

    Bottom line, I canít believe how well the MegaSmash climbs even in gravity mode with such a slack head angle, but damn the DH is simply amazing. Iím 5í8 with really short legs so a full 29er would tear holes in my shorts, I am completely sold on the mullet...at least how GG has done it.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,383
    170mm 29Ē fork and the low cup?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aki78 View Post
    I have the revved MegaSmash, it replaced a 2017 Carbon Transition Patrol and I can honestly say the MegaSmash is better in every way. I have the Fox DHX2 and 170MM 29er Fox fork.

    In trail mode, I consistently make tech climbs that I rarely cleaned on my Patrol and on the downs I swear itís about 50% smoother! In gravity mode I am not making all the tech climbs I did in trail mode, but still cleaning more stuff then when on the Patrol! Iím going to keep it in gravity mode as the increase in DH fun is worth the slight amount of technical climbing ability lost.

    I ride in NorCal which is very rocky and rough, I canít wait to get it up to Tahoe this summer and hopefully Santa Cruz and Pacifica as soon as the travel restrictions are lifted.

    Bottom line, I canít believe how well the MegaSmash climbs even in gravity mode with such a slack head angle, but damn the DH is simply amazing. Iím 5í8 with really short legs so a full 29er would tear holes in my shorts, I am completely sold on the mullet...at least how GG has done it.
    GG Megatrail (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    32
    Yup

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    32
    MegaSmash with 170mm fork in gravity mode puts the head angle at 63 and BB height at 13.4. BB height is about same as my old Patrol, I was worried about the slack head angle flopping around on anything but steep DH...however she tracks right up the hills and never feels floppy

Similar Threads

  1. To GG or not to GG, and if so which one, size, components???
    By Mtbkenny in forum Guerrilla Gravity
    Replies: 141
    Last Post: 06-11-2019, 07:33 PM
  2. MegaSmash-anyone trying it?
    By planetx88 in forum Guerrilla Gravity
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-15-2019, 02:13 PM
  3. MegaSmash vs orthodox Smash
    By sirsam84 in forum Guerrilla Gravity
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-27-2018, 03:06 PM
  4. the west side of the GG bridge is open again!
    By shekky in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2012, 08:15 AM
  5. Paid Spam: Suntour XC Pro GG Headset - Syncros Ti BB
    By Retro Dude in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-12-2011, 05:39 PM

Members who have read this thread: 78

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.