GG 2020 Bike Rumours, Lies and Speculation! - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Post on instagram about the GG 2020 lineup: https://www.instagram.com/p/B7CM0ocnvT6/. No Pedalhead... interesting.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I really hope they release kits to replace the chain stay protector and add the downtube protector for first gen owners.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Sent them an email asking about availability today. Said they would get back to me when they have some, so sounds like it will be an option for us.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I didn't see it posted yet, but it seems GG has postponed Size 1 tooling indefinitely due to low projected demand.

I had a friend that was waiting on Size 1 frames to order a Shred Dogg. She's going to touch base with GG about fitting on a Size 2. I think that will work.
    Have your friend reach out to me about it. Iím 5í4Ē and pretty good at the sizing for the shorter folks.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I emailed them pestering them about the "missing LT 29er" since I'm new bike shopping. They hinted that if I can wait a few months, I won't be disappointed, or suggested I could buy a Smash now and get a conversion kit later for $455.

Speculation: I realized that the difference between a Smash and a hypothetical 170mm 29er would be the same as between a SD & MT. I'm sure it won't be exactly the same, but the angle and chainstay changes should be similar since the front triangle remains constant. If that's true, the mystery bike would be something like:
    170 front/rear
    63.9 HTA
    76.1 STA
    443 CS length
    350 BB height
    -11mm reach

I guess it's sort of unsurprising that it's very similar geo to the 2020 Enduro as they'd both be 170mm monsters, although I'm sure they'd ride different. That's also on my list, and I'll demo one in April during a trip.

mtbr member
    I just got on the Smash LT pre-order and then stopped thinking about it. It'll come when it comes.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Come on, ride the train, hey, ride it
    Come on, ride the hype train, hey, ride it
    Come on, ride the train, hey, ride it
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Anybody notice how they added the pistola geo chart to have the exact same geo as the smash. I understand how the STA and HTA could be very close, if not the same, with a 150mm fork but not the chain stay and wheelbase. In my mind that cannot be correct unless they switched to use the smash seat stay kit and a 230x55 shock, if that even exists.

The limiting factor for max travel on GG bikes is the seat tube & tire clearance at full travel. The TP and Smash do not have the same chain stay length according to their website. If they did have the same chain stay length how does the smash get so much more travel size without a significantly reduced max tire size.

If the pistola has the same chainstay length as the smash then we should be able to fit a huge tire in the pistola, not be limited to a 2.4.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Have been set on an Ibis AF. But been following this thread. Il I correct the you can buy chain stay kits for about 450.00. But then you also need to purchase a separate shock? So you can have a second bike for about around 1k?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Have been set on an Ibis AF. But been following this thread. Il I correct the you can buy chain stay kits for about 450.00. But then you also need to purchase a separate shock? So you can have a second bike for about around 1k?
    Chainstay kit + shock + fork(or adjust your current fork) = new bike day!

Rad thing is that with offsets shortening, a 44mm fork will work pretty good with 275 or 29, and forks like the Mezzer offer 140-180mm of travel.

A set of chainstays and a used shock can reduce the cost of the dial purpose setup as wel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    A lot of shocks can have their stroke reduced by adding a spacer, i.e. a 230x65 can become a 230x60 with a 5mm limiter spacer. I don't know how simple this is though, as I've never tried. I think some brands make this easier to do than others.

Changing fork travel is generally fairly easy, and usually just involves a $40 air shaft.

mtbr member
    I realize there are people who like to tinker, but swapping the seatstays, the shock and possibly the fork seems tedious to me. You'll also need to deal with the derailleur, front & rear brakes, the cables, brake lines, and align the brake calipers. None of this is difficult and can most likely be completed in an hour or so, but it just seems tedious if you're planning to do it regularly. Now from a manufactures stand point, or if you'd like to try a new model, the modular system makes a lot of sense.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I realize there are people who like to tinker, but swapping the seatstays, the shock and possibly the fork seems tedious to me. You'll also need to deal with the derailleur, front & rear brakes, the cables, brake lines, and align the brake calipers. None of this is difficult and can most likely be completed in an hour or so, but it just seems tedious if you're planning to do it regularly. Now from a manufactures stand point, or if you'd like to try a new model, the modular system makes a lot of sense.
    Shouldn't have to deal with the cables at all unless they were cut with too short to begin with. Cables are attached to the chain stays which aren't being swapped. The biggest pain is the fork, kinda wish suspension companies kept making dual-position forks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manuni88 View Post
    Shouldn't have to deal with the cables at all unless they were cut with too short to begin with. Cables are attached to the chain stays which aren't being swapped. The biggest pain is the fork, kinda wish suspension companies kept making dual-position forks.
    You're right about the cables, they're on the chainstays. I guess it could possibly be an issue if you're swapping from little to big wheels, but really not a big deal if you're going through the trouble to do the swap.

Weren't most (or some) dual-position forks meant to only be used for climbing and light riding in the short travel setting?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I am one of those that loves to tinker, however, I would agree with this statement. I really like the idea of a frame that I can convert from 29'er to 27.5, short travel/long travel bike without buying a new frame. I think I enjoy wrenching on my bikes as much as riding them, but if I buy a new set of stays it wont be to swap them every other weekend to go from trail bike to park bike. I would buy a new set of stays if I ever took the plunge to try out 29'er wheels. If I started riding differently and needed more travel from my bike, etc. Nice thing with the modular frame though is the amount of tinkering you can do without buying the stays. On my SD I can put a 210 x 50 shock on instead of a 210 x 55. Little less travel for those times that the trail is mellow and flat.

The difference between Trail mode and Gravity mode is pretty significant itself. It really affects how the bike feels, which depending where I ride I will be utilizing it a lot.

The geo adjust headset increasing reach and wheelbase is also a significant change to the bike. For me the long position makes the bike too big for trail mode. I could see using it for park days though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The biggest pain is the fork, kinda wish suspension companies kept making dual-position forks.
    I had a Pike 327 Coil U-turn on my Specialized many years back! Turn that knob and change the travel between 95mm to 140mm in seconds!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    You're right about the cables, they're on the chainstays. I guess it could possibly be an issue if you're swapping from little to big wheels, but really not a big deal if you're going through the trouble to do the swap.

Weren't most (or some) dual-position forks meant to only be used for climbing and light riding in the short travel setting?
    When I had a dual pike I never had problems with riding it a little rough in the low setting but maybe I was lucky. I think and hope dual position forks will make a comeback. Scott and Cannondale are paying a lot of money for similar ideas on shocks, why not forks too.

For me, the seat stay travel change is about early vs late season, when I have the fitness to push more travel.

Or...as more common recently, I barely have the time to ride my 120mm to its full potential (with a toddler in the house)...but someday Iíll be back to riding 40-50 miles a week and shredding big mountains with friends on the weekends.

always licking the glass

GG 2020 Bike Rumours, Lies and Speculation!

I did a seatstay and shock change from a megatrail to a shred dogg in 30 minutes. The only thing Iíve had to do reset was the brakes.

You donít have to mess with the rear derailleur, cables, or anything else really.

Now the fork was already at 160mm with the tall headset like I wanted. If I had to change the wheels (if youíre going between wheel does) and the fork too, I would think that would be something I wouldnít want to do all the time.

Iím thinking of getting a second revved frame for tinkering (megatrail, even possibly trying he pistola or smash), but I like my shred dogg as it is.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    To bad Fox stopped making the Talas. I know when I had my Lenz, it was nice to have a 160F/152R 130F/127R bikes in one.

Same shock, just a rocker change and change the fork travel.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    While we wait the release of the LT 29er hereís my first attempt at cable management on the frame side. The bottom clamp needs some rethinking (needs to curve with the frame). Iíll try this out for a few days and see if I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Abunchahicks View Post
    While we wait the release of the LT 29er hereís my first attempt at cable management on the frame side. The bottom clamp needs some rethinking (needs to curve with the frame). Iíll try this out for a few days and see if I like it.

Any pics of the cable mounts prior to mounting? What are you using?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thatís pretty durn good already.

Sign me up for two sets 👍

GG Megatrail 27.5 (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wife's)

Out spokin'
    Aside: Fidlock bottles FTW! Using them on my bikes, too. Just wish they weren't so damned expensive.

On track: Nice looking Revved rig you've got there. Personally I think the exposed cables give it a kind of neat look.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Form follows function. Nice job.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    Any pics of the cable mounts prior to mounting? What are you using?
    Hereís a picture of the design file for the middle clamp. Sorry I didnít take any pictures of the clamps after printing and before mounting. Still working on getting the clamp dimensions correct, I feel the brake hose is a little tight. These are 3D printed out of PLA for testing purposes and if I like the outcome I will most likely print them out of something a little more robust.

Liking the Fidloc. Received a large and small bottle as a gift, only the small will fit, but I can mount two.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hereís a picture of the design file for the middle clamp. Sorry I didnít take any pictures of the clamps after printing and before mounting. Still working on getting the clamp dimensions correct, I feel the brake hose is a little tight. These are 3D printed out of PLA for testing purposes and if I like the outcome I will most likely print them out of something a little more robust.

Liking the Fidloc. Received a large and small bottle as a gift, only the small will fit, but I can mount two.

Can you make the same mount, but reverse that way the guide would enclose the housings against the frame? Does that make sense?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Schril View Post
    Can you make the same mount, but reverse that way the guide would enclose the housings against the frame? Does that make sense?
    I tried that, the problem is the bolt takes up a lot of room in the channel, just like with the original cover. The bolt threads tend to cut and pinch the cables.

battle stag commander
    Quote Originally Posted by Schril View Post
    As in a clamp-down fit, rather than a snap-in fit? Good idea, probably could work either way with enough fidgeting.

Either way, Abunchahicks, you are super close on your first shot! Well done. Rapid prototyping is so damn cool!

G_T
    mtbr member
    I sort of just want to see more pictures of that Smash......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    A lot of shocks can have their stroke reduced by adding a spacer, i.e. a 230x65 can become a 230x60 with a 5mm limiter spacer. I don't know how simple this is though, as I've never tried. I think some brands make this easier to do than others.

Changing fork travel is generally fairly easy, and usually just involves a $40 air shaft.
    The travel spacer was extremely easy to change on my Topaz. Travel change on the Ribbon coil is dead simple and free.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by planetx88 View Post
    As in a clamp-down fit, rather than a snap-in fit? Good idea, probably could work either way with enough fidgeting.

Either way, Abunchahicks, you are super close on your first shot! Well done. Rapid prototyping is so damn cool!
    A clamp down fit would be better keeping the housings better secure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    The travel spacer was extremely easy to change on my Topaz. Travel change on the Ribbon coil is dead simple and free.
    Shocks are harder because the spacer is internal and requires a complete rebuild, more skills needed.

Note that a travel spacer is different than a volume spacer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Shocks are harder because the spacer is internal and requires a complete rebuild, more skills needed.
    For air shocks. Coil shocks you just slot the spacer behind the bottom out bumper. Takes a moment to do.
    Last edited by vikb; 01-17-2020 at 07:25 AM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Cannondale used little inserts on the Pophet that you slide in to take up the slack:
    https://www.cannondaleexperts.com/Ca...086_p_197.html

I really liked that setup as it was super easy to service and no rattle

battle stag commander
    https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=1031
    Scroll about 1/2 way down and find the first exploded diagram. This is the exploded diagram of the 2019 dpx2. If you can find the element that says "travel spacers" those are the dudes you are after. If you're interested Fox does publish the full procedure that would allow you to get to these travel spacers, though they they actually dont show up in that document. They would show up after step 11 of dissassembly after the bottom out bumper and plate are removed.
    https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=890.
    Beyond the skills needed to do this you need a vacuum bleeder.

This is something to be done by an authorized service center. If something goes wrong, you have a chance of being covered. If Joey McBikeshop screws it up you might be SOL.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    With all the clues that the Pedalhead is going away, this seems an odd amount of attention focused on welding. Anyone think the PH replacement/update might be titanium instead of Revved? I don't know enough to visually distinguish between raw steel and titanium. That would be a characteristically bold/rad move.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GG 2020 Bike Rumours, Lies and Speculation!-screen-shot-2020-01-18-8.30.46-am.jpg  

GG 2020 Bike Rumours, Lies and Speculation!-screen-shot-2020-01-18-8.31.13-am.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'd guess we'll just see an revised geo steel PH.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Out spokin'
    Thatís not a ti welding rig.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Note that a travel spacer is different than a volume spacer.
    DVO is different there bud. https://dvosuspension.com/product/topaz-travel-spacer/
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by buggravy View Post
    With all the clues that the Pedalhead is going away, this seems an odd amount of attention focused on welding. Anyone think the PH replacement/update might be titanium instead of Revved? I don't know enough to visually distinguish between raw steel and titanium. That would be a characteristically bold/rad move.

I just watched a video on welding titanium and now I am an internet expert! The frame he's welding is very dirty. Welding titanium tubes requires very clean and prepared surfaces. Looks like heat treated aluminum in that jig!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Has to be a gravel bike. All the cool kids are doing it.

always licking the glass
    And what clues would those be? Itís not from the pictures you posted.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    And what clues would those be? Itís not from the pictures you posted.
    I didn't mean clues in these pics. Previous clues, like the PH not being listed in their posts about 2020 line up, and being the only bike on the site without updated pics.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Must be due to the bladder design, most shocks are not so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes, but weíre talking about air shocks, or at least that seems like the direction weíre headed.

Iím sure folks can figure it out, but the takeaway should be that travel reduction spacers and volume reduction spacers are not the same and changing travel is not an easy or quick job.

The ďone bikeĒ to rule them all that allows quick changes is really not what GG was after with a modular system. For them itís cost savings measure, though they advertise it as an advantage to the end user, must of us wonít take advantage of it because itís complicated to change out suspension.

Reality: most mountain bikers donít work in their own bikes, esp suspension. Raise your hand if you send your suspension off to have it rebuilt every season.

For air shocks. Coil shocks you just slot the spacer behind the bottom out bumper. Takes a moment to do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018

The ďone bikeĒ to rule them all that allows quick changes is really not what GG was after with a modular system. For them itís cost savings measure, though they advertise it as an advantage to the end user, must of us wonít take advantage of it because itís complicated to change out suspension.
    This is where the value was for me. I bought a Pistola, which I loved. Decided to buy the stays, shock, and air shaft to convert it to a Smash. I loved the Smash a bit more, and thought the bikes were close enough that I'd never really switch back and forth. Sold the Pistola shock and stays, which meant I essentially traded my Pistola for a Smash and it cost me about $400.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Thatís not a ti welding rig.
    =sParty
    Itís also not aluminum.

Yup, looks like steel, good ole fashioned steel

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Itís also not aluminum.

Yup, looks like steel, good ole fashioned steel
    SmashMoly tubing!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by sikocycles View Post
    Has to be a gravel bike. All the cool kids are doing it.
    You joke, but if GG made something like the Knolly Cache that isn't painfully expensive I would have some serious N+1 issues.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Okay, got one:

Carbon front triangle, fixed aluminum rear triangle, changeable rear triangles for fat, plus, or skinny.

I would love that, but only if they tried maximize clearances with a 148 hub.

I really like what RSD WAS doing with the Sergeant and its ability to fit 275x3.8 tires, but the kinda messed it up when they went to 157 hubs and 83mm BBs. At that point you might as well go Low-Q fatbike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    I would love that, but only if they tried maximize clearances with a 148 hub.

I really like what RSD WAS doing with the Sergeant and its ability to fit 275x3.8 tires, but the kinda messed it up when they went to 157 hubs and 83mm BBs. At that point you might as well go Low-Q fatbike.
    Agreed, maximize 148 boost and 73mm bb, 29+, B Fat, playful stuff that can be used all around vs dedicated fat bikes. even a slider would be cool.

For this ^ steel is real, but I'd take home grown carbon

The idea of a carbon front end with a modular steel rear would be rad. Lots of flexibility in that setup. GG's carbon is much better at dampening than straight alloy, and a steel rear would soften up the ride just a tad.

It's just gotta be lighter. The Pedalhead was too heavy, IMO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    While attempting to justify the recent acquisition of a set of ee-wings for my upcoming Smash build I happened upon the following in Cane Creeks "Journal":

https://www.canecreek.com/journal-0/page/4/

Guerrilla Gravity: "We celebrate our short supply chain by aligning ourselves with other domestic manufacturers like Cane Creek. Like our bikes, suspension products like the Helm and Double Barrel are made for goiní fast and offer a ton of adjustments so every rider can fine tune their bike for their trails. Weíre really pumped to build on our history with Cane CreekÖ weíve got a very special partnership project in the works that will be publicly launched at the beginning of March. We canít wait!"

Not sure if this has been brought up elsewhere, but a bit of collaboration between CC and GG could yield some interesting results...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shizzon View Post
    While attempting to justify the recent acquisition of a set of ee-wings for my upcoming Smash build I happened upon the following in Cane Creeks "Journal":

https://www.canecreek.com/journal-0/page/4/

Guerrilla Gravity: "We celebrate our short supply chain by aligning ourselves with other domestic manufacturers like Cane Creek. Like our bikes, suspension products like the Helm and Double Barrel are made for goiní fast and offer a ton of adjustments so every rider can fine tune their bike for their trails. Weíre really pumped to build on our history with Cane CreekÖ weíve got a very special partnership project in the works that will be publicly launched at the beginning of March. We canít wait!"

Not sure if this has been brought up elsewhere, but a bit of collaboration between CC and GG could yield some interesting results...
    Hopefully that collaboration yields the new Revved bikes in the Cane Creek Dialed App!! Trying out a CC DB Air IL and there is no recommend settings for my Shred Dogg. It looks like 2017 was the last time CC updated the App for GG. Lets see some collaboration on the Revved bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Is that post old? Itís from page 4 in the journal.
    Weird that GG removes all CC suspension products off their build kits.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Is that post old? Itís from page 4 in the journal.
    Weird that GG removes all CC suspension products off their build kits.
    I think your right, that article was talking about the 2019 launch I guess. I just noticed that they dropped most of the Cane Creek stuff. You used to be able to get a Helm, now all I see is a couple of bikes with DB Inline coils.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I think your right, that article was talking about the 2019 launch I guess. I just noticed that they dropped most of the Cane Creek stuff. You used to be able to get a Helm, now all I see is a couple of bikes with DB Inline coils.
    Only looked at the smash which I have on order.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Are you selling these?

mtbr member
    Yes, but weíre talking about air shocks, or at least that seems like the direction weíre headed.

Iím sure folks can figure it out, but the takeaway should be that travel reduction spacers and volume reduction spacers are not the same and changing travel is not an easy or quick job.

Reality: most mountain bikers donít work in their own bikes, esp suspension. Raise your hand if you send your suspension off to have it rebuilt every season.
    I did it on my Topaz and it was pretty quick and easy. I think I had it done in less than one beer and it's been working great.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Are you going to sell these or share the 3D print specs?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by tvcraig75 View Post
    Are you going to sell these or share the 3D print specs?
    PM sent.

AOK
    mtbr member
    No announcement today? I thought the welding pics above indicated that GG would reveal something today. Was hoping to come here and read about a new Pedšlhead.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I know the Pedalhead is not new, but is this the new/redesigned/updated model? Never checked it out before but maybe? Kinda wish I had a post ride beverage tool!

https://ridegg.com/pedalhead?fbclid=...e3LHoivKDfjsGY

always licking the glass
    I know the Pedalhead is not new, but is this the new/redesigned/updated model? Never checked it out before but maybe? Kinda wish I had a post ride beverage tool!

https://ridegg.com/pedalhead?fbclid=...e3LHoivKDfjsGY
    Same. Newer decals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Same. Newer decals.
    Maybe I'm wrong but if you compare the two, there are small, very small differences?
    GG 2020 Bike Rumours, Lies and Speculation!-ph2capture.jpg
    GG 2020 Bike Rumours, Lies and Speculation!-phcapture.jpg

Look at size medium 1181 wheelbase...445 reach

Look at size 2 1181 wheelbase....451 reach?

Slight, very slight changes perhaps?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Effective top tube is different, stack is different, maybe they tweeked the bike a little?

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Same. Newer decals.
    Isn't it steel now, as opposed to aluminum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    Isn't it steel now, as opposed to aluminum?
    No. The Pedalhead has always been steel. Itís never been aluminum.

All the full suspension bikes prior to being Revved carbon have been aluminum. The only bike that GG has made that was aluminum and not made it to carbon is the GG/DH (RIP).

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Crickets around here. By my calculations there's one more Dispatch for the month coming next Thursday. Think we'll get any new bike announcement?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Long travel stays for a Megatrail 29, Revved angleset, Manitou suspends Simon options, sz 5.

Iíd be curious to know how much time goes into making a new size mold: resizing, modeling, prototype, mold.

How many frames need to be sold for break even?

A Size 5 would be amazing, as would a Size 1, but three sizes with the adjustable headset is more like four sizes, so yeah, probably not in the works for a small outfit like GG.

That long travel 29er seat stays, thatís just aluminum, wouldnít take a crazy amount of effort 👍

Crickets around here. By my calculations there's one more Dispatch for the month coming next Thursday. Think we'll get any new bike announcement?

Out spokin'
    It's late February, nobody cares anymore.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Will be dropped once Fox allows the 38 to be shown.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Weíre really dry down south, no precipitation since mid January, Phil was right on!

I rode 18 miles of gorgeous high desert single track yesterday, currently sitting outside in the sun with my critters (4 ducks, 3 chickens, four dogs), supposed to be sixty degrees every day for the next ten days.

So yeah, I care 😊

GG 2020 Bike Rumours, Lies and Speculation!-49c79560-bf6a-4b6d-bd0d-e601f6d1727d.jpeg

It's late February, nobody cares anymore.
    =sParty

Out spokin'
    Weíre really dry down south, no precipitation since mid January, Phil was right on!

I rode 18 miles of gorgeous high desert single track yesterday, currently sitting outside in the sun with my critters (4 ducks, 3 chickens, four dogs), supposed to be sixty degrees every day for the next ten days.

So yeah, I care 😊

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49C79560-BF6A-4B6D-BD0D-E601F6D1727D.jpeg 
Views:	49 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	1313125
    Nice! Truth is I care too, NB.

FWIW I think I got 50ish miles of singletrack in a rare week of sunny February skies here in the Willamette Valley. Plus a day or two of trailwork (mostly pulling drains). South facing trails are rapidly drying out, tho weíre no doubt in for plenty more serious rain between now and the official end of winter, which around here is 4th of July.

Meanwhile dense forests make for very pleasant riding, too.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What about Bend? Are they getting snow?

The rain in the Willamette Valley puts Spain to shame. Love the memories, but donít miss the rain.

Come south, Hurricane fest end of March, Moab is good now too. Big drive, but youíd have it all to yourself.

Nice! Truth is I care too, NB.

FWIW I think I got 50ish miles of singletrack in a rare week of sunny February skies here in the Willamette Valley. Plus a day or two of trailwork (mostly pulling drains). South facing trails are rapidly drying out, tho weíre no doubt in for plenty more serious rain between now and the official end of winter, which around here is 4th of July.

Meanwhile dense forests make for very pleasant riding, too.
    =sParty

Out spokin'
    What about Bend? Are they getting snow?

The rain in the Willamette Valley puts Spain to shame. Love the memories, but donít miss the rain.

Come south, Hurricane fest end of March, Moab is good now too. Big drive, but youíd have it all to yourself.
    Not being a skier, I donít go over the mountain passes much in the winter; havenít been to Bend since last fall. Iím out of touch.

This afternoon my GF & I are departing on a month-long road trip to California. Because our old Roadtrek van is so heavy and handles like a pig, weíre going to lounge down 101 along the coast in order to avoid Siskiyou Summit and other snowy mountain passes, hitting lesser known riding areas like Cape Mtn and Winchester Trails along the way. Trailforks is such a good resource.

Last yearís winter trip included California, Nevada & Arizona; I expect weíll get back to that circuit again next year. Maybe weíll hit Moab again this spring, weíll see. I havenít been to Gooseberry/Hurricane in 5 years, need to get back down thataway, too.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

I got some info over the weekend on some possibilities for the future:

Definitely some interest in the company doing an "SL" frame that will only be for XC/TR. They want to get completely caught up and have the entire lineup available in all sizes before they start experimenting with thinner layup.

We may see carbon rear ends at some point as well.

I get the feeling a carbon hardtail is almost a certainty, as is a longer travel 29er.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018

I get the feeling a carbon hardtail is almost a certainty, as is a longer travel 29er.
    Did you get a feeling on timing? I sort of had the impression that one or both of these would be announced in the first 2 months of this year, but obviously that didn't happen.

mtbr member
    My opinion is lots of companies holding back on long travel new releases until Fox and Rs drop their new forks.

Erik

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Why would that matter?

All forks get updated yearly, nothing is new for more than a year.

I think theyíre waiting until they get caught up and they have a better idea of market demand.

Personally, I think they have a very nice spread already.

Based on the business model, whatever they do will probably fit into the modular model, so a longer seat stay/chainstay to make a long travel 29rt or perhaps a beefier layup and new rear end to make a super enduro/DH bike.

Quote Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    My opinion is lots of companies holding back on long travel new releases until Fox and Rs drop their new forks.

Erik

Bobby made it sound like they definitely want to get comfortable with the current lineup (2-weeks to ship on every size) and get more consumer/real world feedback on the strength and durability of the frame. So far, it would seem the Revved carbon frames are nearly indestructible.

They still have tremendous interest in the new lineup and I think that'll only grow as people hear about the reliability of the bikes, so no need to stress themselves out trying to bring new products to the market.

If GG made a Revved Carbon Hardtail with good versatility like 275x3 and 29x2.8 fitment and a larger front triangle (for a bigger frame bag) I'd be all over it. I kinda think it'll be a more specifically AM oriented, however.

mtbr member
    If GG made a Revved Carbon Hardtail with good versatility like 275x3 and 29x2.8 fitment and a larger front triangle (for a bigger frame bag) I'd be all over it. I kinda think it'll be a more specifically AM oriented, however.
    I've been riding HTs a lot this last year and frame compliance is really important for a bike without any rear suspension [even with big tires] so if there was a Revved GG HT it would be important they were able to ensure it wasn't punishingly harsh to ride.

Steel is a great material for a HT so I don't think the Pedalhead needs to be Revved, but a geo update/redesign maybe?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Agreed, steel works well for a hardtail, carbon is not necessary and doesnít ride all that great when unsuspended (not damp, too much feedback). The time and effort needed to build a mold is not justified unless they sold a ton of frames. I suspect the Pedalhead is their least popular frame.

I've been riding HTs a lot this last year and frame compliance is really important for a bike without any rear suspension [even with big tires] so if there was a Revved GG HT it would be important they were able to ensure it wasn't punishingly harsh to ride.

Steel is a great material for a HT so I don't think the Pedalhead needs to be Revved, but a geo update/redesign maybe?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I was gifted a bag of these clips to demo, got them mounted on a Pistola and a Megatrail, work really well, much better than the cover, easier to adjust housing, no cable binding.

The plastic is a touch brittle and does require some fine tuning (filing) for fitment, but otherwise they are a win.

If Abunchachicks wants to sell these, Iíd highly recommend them, but seriously, someone needs to put these into production.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I was gifted a bag of these clips to demo, got them mounted on a Pistola and a Megatrail, work really well, much better than the cover, easier to adjust housing, no cable binding.

The plastic is a touch brittle and does require some fine tuning (filing) for fitment, but otherwise they are a win.

If Abunchachicks wants to sell these, Iíd highly recommend them, but seriously, someone needs to put these into production.
    Thanks again for the feedback. Iíve printed a set out of PETG which is more flexible than the PLA that I printed the first sets out of. I also opened the clearances up and made the other changes you recommended (slotted hole). Iíve been running my updated set for a couple of weeks with no issues.

mtbr member
    Just feels like with the new Fox 38 fork that lots of companies would hold back until that fork is released and/or available. Transition and Evil have new LT29ers right around the corner and will possibly be specíd with this fork. Wouldnít be surprised if GG wants to do the same.

Erik

mtbr member
    The Pedalhead definitely needs a redesign. At the very least GG needs to ditch the kink in the seat tube to allow for longer dropper post options.

There probably isn't enough demand for 2 hardtails in the line-up, but if they could pull it off, it would be nice to have the steel Pedalhead with sliders and a Reved hardtail with a standard thru-axle.

mtbr member
    What about revved rims and handlebars in the future. Maybe not 2020 but 2021. Seems like a nice addition if they could sell complete bike with their own wheel sets to watch ever hub you want. They also have the capability to manufacture their own aluminum stems.

As someone mentioned above would rather have a steel hardtail than a carbon one.

They really have limitless potential though as they manufacture in-house both there carbon and aluminum.

Erik

mtbr member
    What about revved rims and handlebars in the future. Maybe not 2020 but 2021.
    Making components is a whole different animal for GG. They'd have to decide they had the $$ and time for R&D, then the production capacity to actually build them and they'd have to feel pretty confident they could do it cheaper and better than companies that are only focusing on rims or bars or another component.

Impossible? No. But, I wouldn't hold my breathe on that. Tessla isn't making tires, or rims or a whole bunch of other parts for their cars. Could they? Sure. Does it make sense for them to try and out compete in those areas vs. focus on what they are great at? No.

I'd rather see GG focus on making more bike frames.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Making components is a whole different animal for GG. They'd have to decide they had the $$ and time for R&D, then the production capacity to actually build them and they'd have to feel pretty confident they could do it cheaper and better than companies that are only focusing on rims or bars or another component.

Impossible? No. But, I wouldn't hold my breathe on that. Tessla isn't making tires, or rims or a whole bunch of other parts for their cars. Could they? Sure. Does it make sense for them to try and out compete in those areas vs. focus on what they are great at? No.

Agreed. I do hope they add the new I9/We Are one wheels as a drop down menu option.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I would like to see more GeoAdjust headset tuning options. Upper cup add a 5mm version, and on the bottom cup 7.5mm version. This would allow more fine tuning to reach and BB height. You would be able to really fine tune your bike and it would't require to much on GG's end. I believe they CC machine these parts anyway?

fraid of heights
    "Just feels like with the new Fox 38 fork that lots of companies would hold back until that fork is released and/or available..."

Erik
    That is an interesting thought... with the dual crown Evil's running around everyone expected a new Wrecker to hit and the fork status could be part of the hold up...? Lack of 38 forks to test/ride could even be part of the reason they were running DC's for some of the riding they were doing?? (or Evil is just evil and thought it would be fun to debut a short travel bike after teasing long travel rigs for a few months?) And in the same sense it sure seems like there were a LOT MORE people asking about a new Sentinel than a new Scout...??? So again, fork hold up might be the logic going on...

However, even if it's a fork hold up; if there is gonna be a Super Smash it would be great to just get a "sneak peak"! Gotta be test mules they could show some ride shots?? (on that note, wasn't there supposed to be a new metal model up in the thread that sort of got teased and didn't happen? gravel/tour? something?) Also a few details might help people decide if it's worth the wait? OR if they should just buy now and enjoy... (I know the rear stays/new shock will be there for "buyers regret" situations. But I just don't see that many riders actively making those swaps back and forth...? So for most it would just be nice to know what it would be and decide?)

Course with all this virus shit happening it makes me want to just wait on a new frame/bike for a while... Gotta be able to afford that $100 dollar roll of TP!

fraid of heights
    Making components is a whole different animal for GG...

I would like to see more GeoAdjust headset tuning options. Upper cup add a 5mm version, and on the bottom cup 7.5mm version. This would allow more fine tuning to reach and BB height. You would be able to really fine tune your bike and it would't require to much on GG's end. I believe they CC machine these parts anyway?
    100% agree on these points.

GG has a real opportunity in a light weight XC/trail only layup, (though might need to find a way to restrict travel so somebody doesn't try and use the light frame for a mega trail and kill themselves), the LT29er, and I think a semi-custom metal HT with drop down options would be a great place for them to compete, (something like the Mega Krampus?) if they can do it for a reasonable price and create a niche for themselves.

And then it would be great if HTA could be adjustable with the Geo Adjust... They like to encourage "experimentation" and this goes hand in hand with that concept...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Okay!

So now we buy em 😊

Thanks again for the feedback. Iíve printed a set out of PETG which is more flexible than the PLA that I printed the first sets out of. I also opened the clearances up and made the other changes you recommended (slotted hole). Iíve been running my updated set for a couple of weeks with no issues.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Iím in, if you sell them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

I would be interested in buying a set.

battle stag commander
    Yep, count me in if its on your mind.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

I'm in as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Has anyone heard any concrete info about a new hardtail anytime soon?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Holy moly, the crazy sons of guns did it!: https://theradavist.com/2020/03/guer...-drop-bar-mtb/

They went full gravel!

Edit: On further review, I think I've been had. I forgot what day tomorrow is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I was thinking about coming here and reminding people what tomorrow is. as to not have any freakout moments.

But I have to say very well done GG.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I din't ride gravel, but please for the love of got let this be real.

battle stag commander
    I'm glad there was the appropriate thread here for this.

I hear they are also making a trials unicycle.

Out spokin'
    I hear they are also making a trials unicycle.
    ...and I heard itís going to be a tandem unicycle.
    =s
    disciplesofdirt.org

battle stag commander
    One wheel, two saddles, or one wheel and one really long banana seat?

Out spokin'
    One wheel, two saddles, or one wheel and one really long banana seat?
    Time will tell... meanwhile Iíll just say that riders sit back-to-back so itíll be a multi-directional uni.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

battle stag commander
    wow, sure. makes perfect sense.

I'm assuming this is also dropper post equipped.

battle stag commander
    Ah christ, we too late sparty. some other wackos actually did it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK1_cRqL4M4

Out spokin'
    Ah christ, we too late sparty. some other wackos actually did it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK1_cRqL4M4
    Yeah but... ďis it REVVED?!?!Ē
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Shenanigans aside, clicking the link and adding a Pedalhead to your cart does yield an 11% discount on the PH. Yet another sign of in imminent Revved hardtail replacement?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Here's a rigid "Municipal Haste" in the wild: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-c5N9XHHaH/. It might be an April Fools bit but I'm kinda digging how that looks.

fraid of heights
    Did anybody do their polls on that "other" mountain bike website. Notice on the questions about wheels/rims/wheelsets how GG gets mentioned as a manufacturer/brand?

Could be a mistake, coincidence, OR...

battle stag commander
    Quote Originally Posted by stiingya View Post
    Did anybody do their polls on that "other" mountain bike website. Notice on the questions about wheels/rims/wheelsets how GG gets mentioned as a manufacturer/brand?

Could be a mistake, coincidence, OR...
    This is an excellent speculation. Perfect fuel for the fire!

fraid of heights
    Since PB dropped the new Fox suspension I went to the GG website to see if they would have a new rear end/bike to go with a 38 on the front... not yet.

BUT, the website update is very NICE! Anyone know if that's been ongoing? OR is that all new tonight? Curious the Pedalhead doesn't have the new builder layout or a home on the "view all". (probably just work in process and not indication of model changes, but...?)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I saw the new website yesterday and thought it was nice.
    I hope they drop the LT 29er soon so I can order a 38 and DPX2. I just need to know what size to order.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I am going to order a new 36 and DHX2 for mine with the new '21 gear. One thing that is awesome on the DHX2 is you dont have to tear the shock down to change travel, so I can use it on the Megatrail and Smash with just an easy travel change.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I will be curious to see what the GG news that will come out of pond beaver.

"We've got fresh goods from a ton of brands, including Continental, ENVE, Fox Factory, FSA, Guerrilla Gravity, Kona, Maxxis, Microshift, PNW Components, Race Face, Ride Concepts, RockShox, Roval, SQ Lab, Troy Lee Designs, and many more!"

Like most of us here I am hoping for a LT 29er. at the same time I hope MRP announces their new longer travel fork (heard it will do 29er at 170).

Revved Carbon rims would be rad.

LT 29er would also be rad. Would give more differentiation for us Trail Pistol owners wanting another set of chainstays in the garage.

fraid of heights
    That's what I was thinking, if they do the long travel smash, then just get a 2nd spring?? and you could pretty easily change back and forth between a long travel to a normal-ish travel smash.

Still, gotta do the bolts/change the travel, etc. I wonder how often a person would want to do that and how much wear and tear it would have on the shock? Still, always great to have options!!!

Spring? You mean shock?

Don't need a different spring for a coil shock between 65mm stroke and 60mm. Just a shock bumper, really. That being said, I cant see why a Smash owner would want to do that for 15mm more travel. Which is why I haven't bought a Smash seatstay kit for my Pistol. I rarely miss the travel, and when I do, I'd want more than 15mm (dont we all?).

For Trail Pistol folks, it'd mean a new shock and seatstay kit.

If there was a 160mm travel 29er seatstay kit, I'd rock a tuned inline shock on the Pistol and a coil on the big bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The LT 29'er is in the wild, friend saw one today...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by phazedalx View Post
    The LT 29'er is in the wild, friend saw one today...

Kinda makes me want to wait on ordering the Smash seat stays.....

battle stag commander
    looks like the sixsixsix site is gone...

fraid of heights
    I'm sure some will agree it's not enough of a difference , but I think 145-160 can feel pretty different. (and if it was 145-170 more so) Still might not be enough difference to make a person change the travel that often since you'd need to take the shock apart. (much quicker than a seat stay and shock change though!)

But I could still see doing a yearly changeover to go in line with when the lifts open/close?

And then as far as the spring I've no idea if the same coil # would provide the same rate on what becomes different stroke shock??

eci
    I just need to know what size to order.
    Sizing is the same across all bikes. Build a smash and use the new size calculator

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Shock size.

fraid of heights
    Just saw an ad for it, screen shot and was gonna post it. But the link 404's so maybe it was an accident and the advertisement wasn't supposed to go live yet. So I'll be cool and let them release when they mean to. Looks like a gnarly bike!

Maybe they will release it first thing tomorrow morning and so by the time anybody see's this it will be live? It does say how much travel, I do see that new fork, but I don't see any GG branded wheels. Looks like i9 logos to me...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I'm sure some will agree it's not enough of a difference , but I think 145-160 can feel pretty different. (and if it was 145-170 more so) Still might not be enough difference to make a person change the travel that often since you'd need to take the shock apart. (much quicker than a seat stay and shock change though!)

But I could still see doing a yearly changeover to go in line with when the lifts open/close?

And then as far as the spring I've no idea if the same coil # would provide the same rate on what becomes different stroke shock??
    I am no expert but I think you would want a different spring. Using my frame ('18 Shred Dogg/Megatrail) and plugging my numbers into the TFTuned spring calculator I get the following spring recommendations:

Shred Dogg 145mm = 434 lb/in
    Megatrail 165mm = 387 lb/in

On the Super Deluxe Coil that I just got it looks like it wouldn't be too hard to fashion a travel spacer that clipped onto the damper shaft and then it would be super easy to change travel; I wonder if other coil shocks have this capability right out of the box. I would assume it would be more of a pain on an air shock.

As far as feeling the difference in travel, after spending a lot of time on my '18 in Shred Dogg and Megatrail in both modes I think the benefits of more travel far outweigh the drawbacks for the trails around me. I don't feel my MT, which is not a lightweight build, climbs noticeably slower or harder than the other modes. The only thing I do feel is that you just gotta put a little more "oomph" into it if you like popping off little trailside features. The tradeoff for me is not having to make the sign of the cross when dropping into something really challenging.

mtbr member
    Just saw an ad for it, screen shot and was gonna post it. But the link 404's so maybe it was an accident and the advertisement wasn't supposed to go live yet. So I'll be cool and let them release when they mean to. Looks like a gnarly bike!

Maybe they will release it first thing tomorrow morning and so by the time anybody see's this it will be live? It does say how much travel, I do see that new fork, but I don't see any GG branded wheels. Looks like i9 logos to me...
    Thanks man. Did you happen to see the name?

Erik

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by burkawitz206 View Post
    tradeoff for me is not having to make the sign of the cross when dropping into something really challenging.
    LOL!! Yea I thought you'd need a different spring depending on stroke but?? Maybe one of those new adjustable coils would have enough spring change for both set ups?

I was hoping the LT Smash would have the set up like the mega and let you choose between a couple travel sets ups/rates. But seems like just more travel... which was what most poeple where asking for!

Wonder when they are going to do the release. When I saw the ad for the new bike on my phone last night I thought it would be out today...? Just checked their website and Vital again where I saw the ad. Noting bout a new bike yet..?

Maybe there aren't any new "Pond Beaver" releases till Monday?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Wonder when they are going to do the release. When I saw the ad for the new bike on my phone last night I thought it would be out today...? Just checked their website and Vital again where I saw the ad. Noting bout a new bike yet..?

Maybe there aren't any new "Pond Beaver" releases till Monday?
    "The UnderGGround Dispatch will be coming your way every 3rd (ish) Thursday evening."

Probably see it this Thursday.

I think we'll be seeing it sooner than Thursday. Typically they don't upload photos if they don't want someone to see them...also helps media sites prep up the releases...

That being said, I'm sure Bobby has been busy nuking the leaks...

fraid of heights
    It's live on the site now. This was what I saw on my phone Friday night...

GG 2020 Bike Rumours, Lies and Speculation!-screenshot_20200411-011705_chrome.jpg

Nice to finally see an X2 available on the 29er builds, and the 38 and DVO Onyx. Very cool!

Geo looks good! S4 is just a step up/logical progression from my XL Sentinel obviously with longer stays. Makes for a long bike, closer to XXL sentinel WB. But expected.

Again, the amazing thing about GG bikes is if you make the jump to Gnarvana and it's too much you have so many options...

Sweet Bike!

fraid of heights
    Better 1 or 2...

GG 2020 Bike Rumours, Lies and Speculation!-smashgnar.gif

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Better 1 or 2...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmashGnar.gif 
Views:	34 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	1324177
    Ahhh, my yearly eye exam was cancelled due to COVID-19. I always enjoyed the soothing voice of my Optometrist......better 1or 2, how about 3 or 4.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    One of these days I will finally give up on my love for 27.5 and buy a 29er......old habits die hard.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    YES!!!! AWESOME!!!!! I already have a fork on the way! SAME SHOCK AS THE MEGATRAIL!! Just need my wheels to show up and order seat stays!!!

always licking the glass
    One of these days I will finally give up on my love for 27.5 and buy a 29er......old habits die hard.
    Iím not sure I can do it. Iíll keep trying though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Iím not sure I can do it. Iíll keep trying though.
    I am with you, I am going to give the big 29 a chance. But I really think there are still places on the enduro series I race on that the 27.5 will be an advantage. I think the 27.5 will be more fun at the bike parks too.
    At least for now I plan on having the Megatrail and Gnarvanna setup. I have thought about getting a Smash setup which at that point would just be changing seat stays and shock. But wont have that potential budget till next year. The swap between the Mega and Gnarvanna would be 15 minutes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Something new?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    The fork in the picture is a SID ultimate. I'm thinking they are offering a lighter weight build of the trail pistol with a SID fork and SIDLuxe shock, XC carbon wheels.

Still porky build with a 7lb frame so finger crossed for a lighter lay up.

Out spokin'
    The fork in the picture is a SID ultimate. I'm thinking they are offering a lighter weight build of the trail pistol with a SID fork and SIDLuxe shock, XC carbon wheels.

Still porky build with a 7lb frame so finger crossed for a lighter lay up.
    Blew tartan.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    ShredDogg with 210x50 shock for 120/130 Sweet or Zesty travel. Lightweight build for a short travel trail ripper!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    My heart wants a carbon Pedalhead but my brain always reminds it that thereís no $ in carbon trail hardtails.

always licking the glass
    ShredDogg with 210x50 shock for 120/130 Sweet or Zesty travel. Lightweight build for a short travel trail ripper!!!
    I would love to see this it would be a much better way to separate out my Shred Dogg and Megatrail.

mtbr member
    IMO. Itís could be a 29Ē dedicated down country bike with a 190x40/45 shock with an updated seat stay kit to really make it a XC/Marathon type bike. What Iím curious to know is if they lightened the layup and the frame overall to make it more competitive weight wise.

Wouldnít think it would be a carbon pedal head. Donít think you will see that until the figure out and/or replace the aluminum seats stays or chain stays with carbon.

Another item will be Guerrilla Gravity rims which will be a cool option.

Erik

always licking the glass
    IMO. Itís could be a 29Ē dedicated down country bike with a 190x40/45 shock with an updated seat stay kit to really make it a XC/Marathon type bike. What Iím curious to know is if they lightened the layup and the frame overall to make it more competitive weight wise.

Wouldnít think it would be a carbon pedal head. Donít think you will see that until the figure out and/or replace the aluminum seats stays or chain stays with carbon.

Another item will be Guerrilla Gravity rims which will be a cool option.

Erik
    Since the Trail Pistol is their ďdown countryĒ 29er bike, I donít think thatís it.

No known cure
    Something new?

The something blue is from an old marriage rhyme. I bet it's the marriage of two frames for an inbetweener travel frame. What, I don't know.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Since the Trail Pistol is their ďdown countryĒ 29er bike, I donít think thatís it.
    But thatís just it...guerrilla gravity donít have a credible bike in that category. I just bought a top fuel...I REALLY wanted to buy from GG, but the trail pistol is still a long, slacked out enduro sled compared to the rest of that field. Itís not comparable to a top fuel, spot ryve, hei hei, etc., etc. They probably need a different front triangle to do itóthereís only so many configurations that can reasonably be made using the same front triangle.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    It will be a short travel FS bike offered with a Sid called the Vicious.

mtbr member
    The Pedalhead appears to no longer be on the web site. So possibly a new carbon hardtail?

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    The something blue is from an old marriage rhyme. I bet it's the marriage of two frames for an inbetweener travel frame. What, I don't know.
    I remembered the rhyme. Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue. I think there's going to be a marriage of models to fill a hole in the lineup . Or a different front triangle.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    The Pedalhead appears to no longer be on the web site. So possibly a new carbon hardtail?
    I now think a carbon hardtail makes the most sense.

Edit: on a post 4 days ago on the Instagram, about the blacked out bike, somebody commented "ah dang did you all stop producing the pedal head" to which they responded "the pedalhead will return at a future date, we're heavily focused on Revved manufacturing for the moment."

Take that for what you all will

When I asked about lighter layup or a way to reduce the weight of the current bikes there was definitely some indication that those topics were on their mind. It was even tossed out that "such a bike would only be able to be used in its as-sold setup, no swapping of rear ends" and "we'd probably want to figure out carbon rear ends first."

The layup thus far has been designed around modularity - now in its final form as the Gnarvana, we can see that the front triangle is plenty burly for even the gnarliest trails in a 160/170mm 29er setup.

Additionally - the Trail Pistol got some bad press in relation to its weight in the PinkBike Field Test. Silencing the critics with a properly lightweight trail bike would be a hard goal to ignore.

So, lets say they were able to take out just 1lbs in front triangle frame weight, use a trunion shock and not-able-to-be-swapped link that made the total size-3 frame weight with shock at or under 6lbs. It's still not super light, but it would make a top end build more like 25lbs. Which is far closer to the Top Fuel, Ripley, and other XC/TR bikes in that category. Not WCXC light, but with more aggressive DNA it would make a far better all-day Trans-Province long-distance rowdy trail bike.

That being said, the company could also do a carbon hardtail as a way of testing carbon chainstays/seatstays or vice-versa and use optional carbon stays as way of preparing for a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

mtbr member

Banshee: 2015 Phantom-L

Guerrilla Gravity: 2018 Shred Dogg-M

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Well there you have it....26.4 pounds for a size large on the modular frame. Way to go GG.

Now, make some more different colorways that jazz up the look like that plaid......and put them on the regular builds!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    It's expensive, but that seems reasonable given the spec (XX1, carbon i9, RS Ultimate) and US-manufactured frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by notsendy View Post
    It's expensive, but that seems reasonable given the spec (XX1, carbon i9, RS Ultimate) and US-manufactured frame.
    Yeah, there's literally nothing you'd logically want to upgrade on that build, other than AXS but that won't make it lighter.

Meh. It's special decals on normal frame loaded up with all the lightest parts.

I was hoping for some new products (carbon stays, lighter layup, Plastihead). Granted, I'm not in the market for a new bike (although I'd consider carbons stays if the shed some decent weight), but I do know people who would love to ride GG...if they could make an XC bike that was sub-24lbs or lighter. The new Epic Evo S-Work is a scant 21lbs by comparison.

This is more like a special menu item.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Meh. It's special decals on normal frame loaded up with all the lightest parts.

I was hoping for some new products (carbon stays, lighter layup, Plastihead). Granted, I'm not in the market for a new bike (although I'd consider carbons stays if the shed some decent weight), but I do know people who would love to ride GG...if they could make an XC bike that was sub-24lbs or lighter. The new Epic Evo S-Work is a scant 21lbs by comparison.

This is more like a special menu item.
    Yeah, I was also disappointed that this is basically just a new build level. That said the Evo S-Works is $11.5k, so you'd be paying thousands more just to shave 5 pounds of non-rotating weight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'd MUCH rather pedal a bike with a 78.2 STA for several hours than a bike with a 74.5 STA (Epic Evo). Not sure how the 5lb delta would feel in comparison to that. Noticeable, yeah, but not sure if it'd have as much an impact on efficiency.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Come on guys, give GG some credit here. They know this isn't targeted towards there general demographic which is why they are doing a limited run of 25. And if they sell out in a week they can just bring it back later. Plus this will still help grow the brand as every time they are in the news, even for just a limited build kit, more people will learn about the brand.

I mean, I've already given GG plenty of credit. I've espoused their Made In USA ethos on numerous forms of social media, gloat about how much I like my Revved TP and my former Smash, I'm a fanboy in a lot of ways.

You're totally right - this is an attempt to keep up the media coverage - not win WCXC races.

I wish the Gnarvana got more press - it can be built to 30lbs in 160/170 format (Mara/Mezzer) with lightweight wheels, still rocking beefy tires, and no issues with durability for probably $4k (if your sourced chinese carbon wheels or something). That's a highly competitive weight for that amount of travel.

I've often thought about selling my Trail Pistol setup for a Gnarvana for no other reason than if I'm going to pedal around 30lbs I might as well get a lot more travel!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I mean, I've already given GG plenty of credit.
    General statement not directed at anybody, however, some people seem to be disappointed. Also, I'm kinda on the same boat with my TP. I'm thinking of bumping it to a Smash since its kinda heavy. Might as well get more travel since the crush/plush setting is so easy to switch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    why not up it to 130mm (pistola) with just a new shock (210x55 instead of the stock 210x50)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I was hoping for some new products (carbon stays, lighter layup, Plastihead). Granted, I'm not in the market for a new bike (although I'd consider carbons stays if the shed some decent weight), but I do know people who would love to ride GG...if they could make an XC bike that was sub-24lbs or lighter.
    I was also hoping to see a lighter layup and not just a light build kit. I currently have an aluminum TP as my one MTB (running it 120/120 like this build), but as I find myself gravitating toward big all day rides and some XC marathon racing, I do find myself wanting a lighter bike. I don't want a pure XC race bike, and my TP has been a really fun bike that I've been very happy with (it's just heavy). If GG came out with a lighter layup carbon frame (even if it still had aluminum stays, though carbon stays would be nice), I'd be very interested. Something that could easily be built up around 25 lbs without making compromises would be really awesome. I know there are other bikes out there that fit what I'm looking for and I'm not GG's target rider demographic, but I like GG (and I do like my TP), and I want to keep supporting them. I like what they're doing with in-house carbon manufacturing and the modular frame platform, and I've had nothing but positive interactions with them. I'm not upgrading at the moment, so I'm still holding out some hope that maybe a lighter layup is in the cards one day. That said, this is a very nice TP build even if it wasn't exactly what I was hoping to see personally, and it's very cool that they're offering this option, however limited the run might be.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    How is a pound lighter frame gonna make that much difference?

Youíd get more bang for your buck reducing rotational weight, so light rims and light tires, low profile tread to reduce resistance.

If they gave you two Pistolas, same build, but one frame a lighter layup, youíd be hard pressed to notice the difference in weight, but when you break that lightweight frame or it noodles enough to rub the tire on the chainstay, you will definitely notice that 🙄

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    You assume I havenít considered rotational weight. I already run XC wheels and Ikons. As someone who is 110 lbs and doesnít regularly huck my bike, my concerns about weight vs durability are likely different than yours. I already acknowledged Iím not really GGís target rider demographic, but I still like my TP a lot. Iíd just like to see a lighter layup. You arenít interested in one, and thatís fine, but that doesnít mean itís unreasonable for other people to be interested in it, and it doesnít appear Iím the only one.

Out spokin'
    I've often thought about selling my Trail Pistol setup for a Gnarvana for no other reason than if I'm going to pedal around 30lbs I might as well get a lot more travel!
    This is what Iím thinking, too. Iíve got an old (read: aluminum) SMASH that I love. But if I were getting a new GG bike today Iíd get the Gnarvana, no doubt.

It seems many people consider 160mm frame travel insanely huge. I donít really get this line of thinking. These days 120mm is considered short travel, 140mm mid-travel, 160mm long travel. But look, 120 is 3/4ths of 160, so why is 160 considered unapproachably extreme by many? A ďshort travelĒ bike is already 75% of the way there! To me, 160mm frame travel just seems like the logical next step in human-powered off-road equipment as suspension technology continues to improve enough to support travel increase with no loss in pedaling performance.

In fact Iíll bet that in a couple/few years, 160 will be considered mid-travel and 180-200 will be considered long travel. 120-140 will be XC.

Of course not everybody rides the same terrain or has the same riding style, so I get why there are shorter travel bikes. But GGís bread & butter is the hard core shredder; personally Iím all aboard the increased travel bandwagon. I love the feel of well designed, deep travel on a frisky bike & a rowdy trail. At the same time I have yet to be disappointed riding such a bike on tamer terrain.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    My hardtail weighs something like 30lbs [I haven't weighed it to be sure]. I love riding it and grab it over my FS bikes sometimes because of how it rides. I never once thought to myself "I should just be on a Gnarvana or fill in long travel bike because it would weigh the same."

I've also thought about getting a Revved TP and although it would be lighter than my metal dual coil Smash the main goal would be to get that different ride feel not to achieve the lightest weight possible.

Long travel bikes are great when you are using them to their full capabilities or something close to that. If you aren't they are boring to ride and you lose out on a lot of potential fun you'd have on something shorter travel.

I don't want to ride a 50lb bike, but a couple pounds here or there really don't matter unless you are very light and/or weak. So I worry a bit more about bike weight for my GF than I would for myself just due to our relative body weights and leg/lung power.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Weight weenie discussions on a Guerrilla Gravity thread: ďthese are not the droids youíre looking for ...Ē

mtbr member

Yeah, but there's a significant difference in how they ride. The Trail Pistol is noticeably poppier and more energetic than a big bike like the Smash or the Gnarvana, even at similar weights (although a similarly-spec'ed TP should be 1-2 lbs lighter). I have both a TP and a Smash and unless I'm hitting something super rowdy, I almost always prefer the TP.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    . The Trail Pistol is noticeably poppier and more energetic than a big bike like the Smash or the Gnarvana, even at similar weights (although a similarly-spec'ed TP should be 1-2 lbs lighter).
    How? If someone has a TP with a DPX2, MRP Ribbon, i9 enduro wheels, DHF/DHR, and converted it to a smash. They wouldn't need to buy anything except a new shock and seat stay so the only difference in weight would be in the DPX2 and seat stays. They would likely be within a half pound.

mtbr member
    I guess my point- that I didn't communicate so well- is that a "normal" TP build is going to be naturally lighter when it comes to tires, fork, and shock because it isn't necessarily intended to be built up as burly. I should have said "appropriately" built vs mentioning similar weights.

Meaning you're not going to put a DPX2 on a Trail Pistol, you'll have a RS Deluxe or a Fox Float DPS which will save weight. I personally wouldn't put an MRP Ribbon on a Smash/Gnarvana, I'd opt for something more burly (and heavier) like a Fox 36 or 38, which will add weight vs a RS Pike you could use on a TP. IMO, the TP is meant to be a little lighter and more lively, vs the Smash and Gnarvana being big bruiser bikes. The awesome thing with GG is that there are so many ways to customize and adapt the builds, that you can basically end up with whatever you want.

My TP weighs 28-29 lbs, and my Smash has a 170mm Fox 36 on the front, a CC coil on the back, big tires and weighs 2-3 lbs more. They ride noticeably different.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Ok, I'm following now and I agree that the TP should be lighter. I just think there are far more people riding 31/32 pound pistols. If you go the the TP thread, almost all the revved bikes have a DPX2 and more enduro wheels/tires. Maybe I'm mistaken but I believe the the 2019 build kits were exactly the same except for the tires so the only weight difference would be in the fork, longer shock, and tires if you didn't change anything. Thats only a pound, max.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Long travel bikes are great when you are using them to their full capabilities or something close to that. If you aren't they are boring to ride and you lose out on a lot of potential fun you'd have on something shorter travel.
    This^^^

It takes extra effort to move a long travel bike out of its sag vs a short travel bike.

Iíve convinced myself many times I ďneedĒ more travel when I donít.

Really enjoying my Shred Dogg for my local trail systems. Just the right travel for what I ride the most.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What does responsive mean? What are you saying when you remark that a bike is ďpoppyĒ.

These terms mean very different things to each person.

We can probably all agree that a bike with more travel weighs more, is more compliant, and less efficient than that same bike with less travel. Ex: Mega vs TP.

But once you lock out the suspension or increase the compression, a long travel bike can ride nearly as efficiently as the shorter travel bike; weight and slacker geo being the outliers.

Until I built a Pistola, I rode the Shred and Mega on everything, now I ride the Pistola most of the time; itís my new whip dontcha know.

Yesterday was the first time I felt undergunned on the TP, long jump trail with big features, Tiddlywinks in Bend, but it was easy enough to take the less intense lines and bump up the compression, so it was still fun.

The biggest difference I notice between the TP and Mega is the way I feel after a long bumpy ride, the TP beats me up more than the Mega.
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 1 Week Ago at 11:59 PM.

The biggest difference I notice between the TP and Mega is the way I feel after a long bumpy ride, the TP beats me up more than the Mega.
    This is what I noticed too. Some of that could be suspension setup, but having less sag means that bumps and impacts are transmitted at smaller frequency.

If GG produced a 5.5lbs all carbon Trail Pistol that cost $3500 without a shock would I buy it? Nope. But I know lots of people who would.

There is a huge untapped market of Weight Weenies would would love a American Made XC/TR bike - but they are Weight Weenies first, MUSA guys second.

No known cure
    This is what I noticed too. Some of that could be suspension setup, but having less sag means that bumps and impacts are transmitted at smaller frequency.

If GG produced a 5.5lbs all carbon Trail Pistol that cost $3500 without a shock would I buy it? Nope. But I know lots of people who would.

There is a huge untapped market of Weight Weenies would would love a American Made XC/TR bike - but they are Weight Weenies first, MUSA guys second.
    Speaking of suspension setups, the beat up feeling may be from coil vs. air. I'm a weight weenie but I have to have my coil suspension front and rear although I do run Ti springs. I've never owned an air shock or fork but have ridden plenty and they just don't stick to the ground. That poppy feeling would get tireing but that's only my personal opinion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Not on my rigs, I run really plush, minimal compression and rebound, most folks think my bikes feel like your grandmotherís couch.

After two weeks on the Pistola, eight days of which was daily riding in Bend, I finally got back on the Mega and wow is that thing plush!

Good thing I have a two position compression set up, it help keep things plush when poking along then with the flip of a lever(s) I got my jump bike set up.

Looking to change from the DPX2 to the Mara Pro on my Pistola.

I'm thinking I may try the Mara Inline once it's prices stabilize a bit. It should have all the same performance benefits as the Mara Pro, just without a reservoir.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    but you will look so much more ďenduroĒ with a reservoir 🤣

My buddy runs a EVOL DPS sans reservoir on a Pistola, works fine for him.

I'm thinking I may try the Mara Inline once it's prices stabilize a bit. It should have all the same performance benefits as the Mara Pro, just without a reservoir.

always licking the glass
    but you will look so much more ďenduroĒ with a reservoir

My buddy runs a EVOL DPS sans reservoir on a Pistola, works fine for him.
    Really? Itís an endubro thing? I kept blowing up inline shocks so I run reservoir ones.

A couple of folks said youíre the guy to ask about the Mara shocks. Are they a pain to setup?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Pretty easy in my mind, no more trouble than the DPX2, but easier to find a pressure that is supportive while still feeling plush. I still find myself fiddling with the DPX2.

I had mine set up after a few rides, use the work play setting to adjust for rowdiness, note that this shock is like a coil, ie no lock out.

I got my second Mara coming for a Pistola.

Really? Itís an endubro thing? I kept blowing up inline shocks so I run reservoir ones.

A couple of folks said youíre the guy to ask about the Mara shocks. Are they a pain to setup?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12