mtbr member

Why are GTs builds such terrible value?

Honest question. GT has a special place in my heart because my first mountain bike ever was a GT. A crappy Saddleback hard tail in the late 90's that I rode for a decade. So every couple months I pop onto their (slow loading and poorly designed) website to look at their bikes.

I see a Force Carbon Pro SRAM for $6500:

1x11 mix of XG, X1, X01
    Guide RS, no RSC or Ultimate
    Cheap but burly MK3 wheels
    No carbon pieces except the frame

Why does this bike not retail for $5000?

I was just looking at the Norco Sight today. For the exact same price you get:

Rshox deluxe instead of M+
    SixC carbon bars
    Guide RSC brakes
    ARC30 rims with DT240 hubs
    Full X01 Eagle drivetrain

How about SC 5010, X01 Carbon CC build $6800:

SC carbon bars
    Full X01 Eagle
    Guide RSC
    SC carbon rims

Just some examples there. Other things I notice - the Sanction only has 2 builds neither of which are blinged out, plus no carbon frame.

I don't know much about GT the company as I don't follow them that closely. But over the last few years I've just found it curious how non-competitive their bikes seem to be. Their 2015 and earlier builds were even worse value.

So what gives? What am I missing? Who is buying these bikes and keeping the company afloat?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Don't know but I was just told by Performance that they no longer carry GT. GT made a deal with Dicks Sporting Goods. I think some local bikes shops may also be able sell.

GT has done some strange things. No matter, I am still happy with my 2014 sensor expert.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ride2 View Post
    Don't know but I was just told by Performance that they no longer carry GT. GT made a deal with Dicks Sporting Goods. I think some local bikes shops may also be able sell.

GT has done some strange things. No matter, I am still happy with my 2014 sensor expert.
    Sounds like they're going to be the new Schwinn in a couple years/decades

No good in rock gardens..
    GT's fortunes have risen and fallen over the years and their bike lineup with it.

I got my first GT hardtail in the early 90's and back then they were expensive for the spec.

I got another one in 2005 and then they were pretty competitive and turning out some good bikes for the price.

IIRC they had some successful XC and DH riders around then and that gave them a fair bit of cred.

Their duallies seem kind of heavy and I was put off them by their I Drive from a few years ago.

A friend of mine has the local dealership for them, and says that alongside the Specialized he also sells, he doesn't sell many GT's and what he does sell tends to be entry level.

It's a brand I've always liked and hopefully they can get back some of the coolness and desirability they seem to have lost.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    GT is no less horrible than other "big brands" with history, they always cost tons with cheap groups and poor choice equipment. If wanna get the best for the buck you have to try Canyon or YT. GTs are good if you buy it on sale or last year models. The AOS systems (not I-drive) is excellent, trouble free and very good on the trail (praised by everyone). Also worth to mention that GT Grades are excellent gravel bikes.
    I think the GT "population" perception is normally based on the LBS influence and of course country distributor.

Moderator Moderator
    They're a big box store bike brand these days, only the name is the same. I can't say I've seen a higher end GT that wasn't a decade old in years, it's not the market they're after.

The current owners: Dorel | Home

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    They're a big box store bike brand these days, only the name is the same. I can't say I've seen a higher end GT that wasn't a decade old in years, it's not the market they're after.

The current owners: Dorel | Home
    No they're not, and there's tons of high end around, at least in Europe, they feature in magazines, they're part of teams bikes, and personalities. How many "big box store bike brand" do you know that race in both DH and Enduro and have riders on Red Bull Rampage? "Its not the market they're after"?
    GT Zaskar '97
    GT Sensor Carbon '14
    GT Grade Carbon '17
    GT Bump '17
    GT Zaskar Carbon LTD '16
    GT Sanction Team '17

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by griffsterb View Post
    Sounds like they're going to be the new Schwinn in a couple years/decades
    Schwinn and GT are owned by the same company
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    GT prices not very high and they give huge discounts, maybe it depends from dialer and you can look for another one to get them this autumn with discount.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Schwinn and GT are owned by the same company
    Along with Cannondale, Mongoose, and IronHorse (are they still around?)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sad to see GT fall so low, but not really surprised since they're just a name now and they have gone significantly downmarket from the other big brands. Customer service is non-existent, and high end bikes don't seem to exist here in the US. The only lbs that carried GT was Performance, and they're not even doing that anymore so that says a lot.

SR Suntour
    May 2006
    ASI (Fuji, Kestrel, etc) bought Performance so GT's are almost certainly being fazed out. I feel like GT prices were a touch inflated so they could be sold at a "discount" which is kind of the Performance model (among every other online and large chain bike shops). Guessing GT is now at a crossroads losing that business and kind of stuck under Cannondale a bit. But they're still big internationally and have tons of history in the US so definitely a relevant brand even if they have their entry level stuff in big box stores. They're also at tons of demo events throughout the US so the budget is still there. And the bikes they have still work well with proprietary technology. It'll be interesting to see where they are in the next few years.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I was in a Dickís sporting goods store a few weeks ago and saw that GT had a lot of entry level models in there.. my girlfriend was looking at a laguna pro womenís bike that I couldnít find on their website but she liked the color.. sometimes thatís all it takes I guess!! Lol if it were only that simple!! The person working the bicycle section said they were stocking up on GT and there would be no more Diamondbacks.. they seem to be on the same level these days from what I can tell.. Iíve owned both and really liked them.. another couple of great companies from the past that somehow didnít adapt and are becoming a lot less relevant these days. Hopefully they bounce back!! This is that laguna I saw.. like I said it didnít show on their site so Iím not sure if itís something really old left over or what..

Live Free & Ride
    I think the GT brand and direction is unfortunately being controlled by the almighty dollar these days. Its under an umbrella of other Dorel products and may be just another board meeting away from not making the cut. I do think GT still covers a broad market from Dick's entry level ($400 Laguna), tons of BMX bikes (love em) all the way up to their top end Fury Pro ($4500). Looks like they no longer make a carbon framed bike anywhere in the 2018 lineup (except for the Grade)? Curious, as it seems like most, except for Cannondale, Dorel bikes are al alloy only. Glad I was able to pick up one the last GT carbon 29er frames made in 2014, the Zaskar 100 9r. The specs on these new GTs are also lower to middle end, so no longer seeing an $8k Fury like we did just 5 years ago with all the bells and whistles. I would say the powers on top are seeing the market move down toward low to mid range bikes and they are adapting to that trend now. It makes dollars and cents I guess! ;-)

17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    I think the GT brand and direction is unfortunately being controlled by the almighty dollar these days. Its under an umbrella of other Dorel products and may be just another board meeting away from not making the cut. I do think GT still covers a broad market from Dick's entry level ($400 Laguna), tons of BMX bikes (love em) all the way up to their top end Fury Pro ($4500). Looks like they no longer make a carbon framed bike anywhere in the 2018 lineup (except for the Grade)? Curious, as it seems like most, except for Cannondale, Dorel bikes are al alloy only. Glad I was able to pick up one the last GT carbon 29er frames made in 2014, the Zaskar 100 9r. The specs on these new GTs are also lower to middle end, so no longer seeing an $8k Fury like we did just 5 years ago with all the bells and whistles. I would say the powers on top are seeing the market move down toward low to mid range bikes and they are adapting to that trend now. It makes dollars and cents I guess! ;-)

Overall global bike market was in a huge downer....so they are probably sitting on a bunch of unsold inventory at all of their distributors warehouses worldwide. Guessing they have lots of higher end bikes sitting...think carbon as you stated above. Low end also as TheProsCloset is even dumping lower end 2017's on ebay for them.
    Maybe carbon just isn't the material for 8K fully's? Maybe some companies have swallowed too much warranty stuff and they are wising up before the huge recalls and lawsuits pile up? Who knows for sure....there is a reason.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

Live Free & Ride
    If you jump the pond, you will see a more complete lineup, like in AUS! Guess they have their act together more over seas than in the US. ;-)

GT Bicycles / Bikes & Bicycle Parts / BMX Bikes & Mountain Bikes
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    If you jump the pond, you will see a more complete lineup, like in AUS! Guess they have their act together more over seas than in the US. ;-)
    Looks like I'll need to have my next one shipped.