mtbr member
    Sep 2017

What model is this frame from?

I'm new to this forum but I've been riding for many years. My sons are finally getting into riding so I've built them some bikes using some of my old components combined with craigslist finds. I just built up this bike using a GT frame that I picked up with a weird Rock Shox Judy (not the one on it now) for $50. The frame has no dents but the finish is pretty beat. It's stamped 7005 inside the dropouts and the serial number on the bottom bracket is MA5002664. The bottom bracket is also stamped with A174-H. In my online searches I haven't seen the decals on this frame on any bike so I'm wondering what it may have started life as.What model is this frame from?-gt-05.jpgWhat model is this frame from?-gt-01.jpg

Sneaker man
    decals say 1998... is the seat post clamp integrated into the frame, yes = 98 or later, no = before 98 (unless it has a flat end cap)

would help to have info on the original specs/parts and a pic of the fork that was on it.

There is a white avalanche that has the same black with red trim decals, but it's white and is 6000, not 7000 aluminium. But generally if they have 2 o more colours of a frame then they will but matching decals but the colour scheme is there.
    All the gear and no idea.

Sneaker man
    Thre are 2 bikes in one of the 1998 catalogues that came in billet (so not quite ball burnished) that are7005 but they are in the alternate colour in the pics, so in theory could have come with those graphics... Tempest and Backwoods FS
    could be that different regions got different decals, or even just whatevr GT spec'd on the day, ho knows
    which says nothing, but could be anything, stripped and polished, decals changed... you never know.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thanks for the replies. Integrated seatpost clamp so it's '98 or later. I bought the frame from the nephew of the original owner and he had no idea what it started life as. It included a Rock Shox Judy fork with a steel steering tube, one-piece lowers with disk mounts and 2 cartridges which makes it a DH from 1997 or 1998 but I don't believe any GT was spec'd with that fork. The finish on the frame is looking pretty beat and seems to be chipped/scratched along the top tube. Given that the frame is 20 years old, it very well may have been stripped and repainted although I can't imagine why someone would bother to clearcoat it. In reality I guess it really doesn't matter what model it came from but I'm just curious.What model is this frame from?-rs-judy-01.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Might be a Rebound?

The frame design looks fairly similar to my '99 Rebound. One of my decals says 7000 series aluminum.

What model is this frame from?-gt-black-wheels.jpg