schwinn 4 banger to straight six- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

schwinn 4 banger to straight six

ok what exactly has to be done to convert the 4 to a six. anything other than a shock? also has anyone ventured in tring to update the rear shock say to a swinger or somthing. i am looking to convert my 4 banger to longer travel with a swinger, so any info on this let me know. also if anyone has a good line on how to get parts for this bike other than ebay let me know as well. thanks so much

smell my finger
    Quote Originally Posted by vanair
    ok what exactly has to be done to convert the 4 to a six. anything other than a shock? also has anyone ventured in tring to update the rear shock say to a swinger or somthing. i am looking to convert my 4 banger to longer travel with a swinger, so any info on this let me know. also if anyone has a good line on how to get parts for this bike other than ebay let me know as well. thanks so much
    I have a 4-banger and have been thinking of upping the travel also. All that has to be done is changing the shock. Unfortunately shocks for these bikes are hard to come by. I've checked out Stratos and Reisse racing web pages for available shocks ($$$), and they do make them. If you're really lucky, you might find one on e-bay or these classified. There were SIDs and fox's made for the straight six as well as Rock-shox deluxe. The shocks for the straight six are slightly longer and have 2"of travel as opposed to 1.5" on the 4-banger. I've also been wondering if I could find a shock with the necessary dimensions eye to eye that the trunion would just screw onto the threads that the spring keeper threads to. As far as parts, there aren't really too many around. Derailleur hangers are available at www.derailleurhanger.com as well as Schwinn dealers (not Wal-Mart), check the web for a contact in the warranty department at Schwinn (I'm not sure who owns them now, used to be pacific cycle). The bearings on the swingarm are common bearings that can be found at hardware stores, or maybe skateboard shops, and deffinately at industrial supply co's like McMaster-Carr or Graingers (check these sites). Oh, if you break your frame you might as well start looking for a good TIG welder! I love my banger and want to keep it on the trail for a ling time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i actually live right down the street from manitou, and the local bike shop is in good with them, they looked at the bike and said that manitou could make somthing for my to get a swinger on the 4 banger. the only funny thing is that if you take your current shock off and try to pull the swing arm up to fit a longer shock in the rear tire hits the bottom swing arm. the current shock measures like 5.5 eye to trunion, and it could be wrong but stratos and fox both have the shock for the staight six to be 7.5 eye to eye. i don't know if they mean eye to trunion or what but either way 7.5 would never fit, maybe 6.5 but thats pushing it. please sombody post who has done this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have a custom Rock Shox Pro Deluxe piggy back 2" stroke coilover that was made for the Schwinn race team when they wanted to try adding travel to a 4 banger for DS use. This one was an in house test unit that has less than 200 miles on it and no racing or other hard use. It has adjustable compression and rebound and comes with a 650lb spring that worked well for my 170lb butt. Be aware that when I set the compression high enough so the bike doesn't bob at all the shock hisses slightly but works fine and it's heavy at 700+ grams. It is 5.9" eye to eye. If anyone is interested in it I'd take $125 plus a stock trunion Sid air shock in good shape. You'll get nearly 6" of rear suspension travel with my Pro Deluxe coilover, just like an 01 straight 6. The rest of the rear ends are the same. The only other difference to a straight 6 that I know of is the head tube angle and length were different to accommodate a 5" fork.

There were different length shocks for different year 4 Bangers. The first year frames maybe 98 that had the interrupted seat tube used really short Rock Shox coil overs, like 5" eye to eye. I have a spare if anyone needs it. In 99 the Taiwanese curve seattube frames switched to a longer shock spec. My 2000 service manual says 5.3" min and 5.7" max eye to eye. The two Sid trunion rear shocks that I have measured were 5.9" from a production 00 and 5.5" from a preproduction '99. 7.5" sounds long to me. I've never seen a Sid for the 01 Straight 6 but the Vanilla that came on them were decent.
    Last edited by artnshel; 04-19-2005 at 12:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Piggy back Trunion Coilover pic

Here's the shock
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by artnshel
    Here's the shock
    ok you say its 5 inches from bottom eye to trunion right? so what is the shock length from the bottom eye to the top eye, no trunion ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    It doesn't matter at all, my Rock shock is super long but it fits inside a 19" frame no problem. What matters is stroke, 2" and Trunion to eye.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i understand that, the point is that any coilover will fit on the bike and acheive 6" of travel as long as it has a 2" stroke and you can thread the trunion mt. on to it. correct me if i am wrong. you see i want to put the manitou swinger 4 way coil on it so that i will have the SPV luxory of the newer bikes, i was just wanting to know the length from eye to eye of your shock to get an idea of what length i need, because you can only purchase shocks that measure eye to eye, almost nothing comes with trunion anymore. so if anyone sees anything wrong with this idea let me know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    i understand that, the point is that any coilover will fit on the bike and acheive 6" of travel as long as it has a 2" stroke and you can thread the trunion mt. on to it. correct me if i am wrong. you see i want to put the manitou swinger 4 way coil on it so that i will have the SPV luxory of the newer bikes, i was just wanting to know the length from eye to eye of your shock to get an idea of what length i need, because you can only purchase shocks that measure eye to eye, almost nothing comes with trunion anymore. so if anyone sees anything wrong with this idea let me know.
    I know we could be communicating better but how?
    Are you planning to use the shocks top eye to mount to the swing arm in place of the trunion? If so let me know what you have to fabricate.

I think you may be trying to figure out the eye to top of spring measurement if you want to thread a trunion on a Manitou coil. I'll get eye to eye and eye to top of spring measurements by Monday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    well it would be nice to elimanate the trunion, but i don't think you could gain any travel by doing that, in fact i think you may lose some. however i took my bike to the local shop and the are in good with manitou who is only 5 miles away and they said that they could get somthing made for it to fit eye to eye. my current thinking though is threading the trunion onto a manitou swinger. but if i order too shot of one then i will not achieve the 5.5 to 6inchs of travel i want. so that is why i was asking what the length of your shock was eye to eye, beacuase thats the only way they sell them these days, by length eye to eye. but i figure that any shock the produces atlease 2inchs of travel will work as long as it has room to thread the trunion onto it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The stock Fox coilover has no upper eye. If you are using a different shock with a trunion I'd think you would have to be sure that it isn't too long from the lower eye to the top of the spring because that is were the trunion would go. I'd guess 5.5" max.
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    do you know if the threading on the coilover shocks is pretty standard? they all look close, the reason i am askin is the concern of the trunion no threading on. abou the length issue i was figuring that you could buy a 7.5 to 7.9 eye to eye coil over and thread the trunion onto it to about 5.5, 5.6 and it would work. if the pring is too long just order a shorter one. a little costly but i think the added quality of a good shock would be great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    do you know if the threading on the coilover shocks is pretty standard? they all look close, the reason i am askin is the concern of the trunion no threading on. abou the length issue i was figuring that you could buy a 7.5 to 7.9 eye to eye coil over and thread the trunion onto it to about 5.5, 5.6 and it would work. if the pring is too long just order a shorter one. a little costly but i think the added quality of a good shock would be great.
    I discovered that the threading is different from Fox to Rock Shox. Who knows what Stratus is.

I may have a spare 2" travel Fox coilover with Trunion mount from a straight 6. I have one of these on my 4 Banger that has been modified to have platform damping just like all the current shock by Push Industries and I think the ride is as good or better than any thing you can buy today.

If you are interested in the shock let me know. If you aren't farmilar with Push, do a seach on the shock forum. They are highly regarded.
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    so the fox shock you would sell has the stable platform by push on it? if so i would be interested, what would your price be? only interested if it has the stable platform though and the 2inch stroke, oh and if you could load a picture that would be cool too. thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The one I may sell hasn't had the stable platform work done yet you would have to send it out yourself.. I'd probably want $150 for the shock and the platform work is another $150.
    The problem I'm running into is that if I sell the shock separately I'm stuck with a 16" straight 6 frame without it's shock. I'm selling a 14" Straight 6 on ebay right now and will see what kind of money it brings so I can decide what to do. I know the price is high but I like my Pushed Vanilla set up so much that I know it's worth it.
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    May 2005

transferred 4-Banger into Straight 6

i changed the damper and transferred my 4-banger into a straight 6! it now has 140mm (or almost 6") of travel! i just took a longer rockshox-damper and it works fine. see the pictures below:

if you want to user dampers with piggy-backs, then you guys need to build your own adapter. I have one at home for this cases, unfortunately it is made of steel and thus very heavy. see the picture:

you can open the adapter and wrap it around the dampfer. see this picture:

@ artnshel:
    do you still have your manual of the 4-banger at home? can you maybe please scan that for me? i am looking for the torque-specifications of all the bolts on the 4-banger!

many thanks!

regards from germany
    gerhard

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I just got a fox vanilla R propedal for my 4 banger and found out that the thread did not fit. So i had to tweak it a bit to get the trunion to fit the fox. Basically what i did was sand the trunion down a bit, pretty much sanded down all the thread inside the trunion and got a tight fit on the shock body. Then i ordered a extra preload ring to hold the trunion in place. I know some people may say it is not strong enough to hold the pressure, i thought about it too but i had no choice. So in order to make it stronger, i used jbweld to weld the trunion between the two preload ring on the top and bottom. It looks pretty strong to me and i took a few hard ride with it with no problem. But i will keep an eye on it before every ride to make sure everything is fine. Not sure if any of you want to do that, it worked for me. Just be sure to have a tight fit for the trunion, a fit that you need to use a mallet to tap it in. I called fox and tried to order their trunion for their fox vanilla r, but they said they dont sell it seperatly, how stupid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tripletschiee
    @ artnshel:
    do you still have your manual of the 4-banger at home? can you maybe please scan that for me? i am looking for the torque-specifications of all the bolts on the 4-banger!

many thanks!

regards from germany
    gerhard
    I don't have a scanner but will try to find one so I can post the torque spec's
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jyguy915
    I just got a fox vanilla R propedal for my 4 banger and found out that the thread did not fit. So i had to tweak it a bit to get the trunion to fit the fox. Basically what i did was sand the trunion down a bit, pretty much sanded down all the thread inside the trunion and got a tight fit on the shock body. Then i ordered a extra preload ring to hold the trunion in place. I know some people may say it is not strong enough to hold the pressure, i thought about it too but i had no choice. So in order to make it stronger, i used jbweld to weld the trunion between the two preload ring on the top and bottom. It looks pretty strong to me and i took a few hard ride with it with no problem. But i will keep an eye on it before every ride to make sure everything is fine. Not sure if any of you want to do that, it worked for me. Just be sure to have a tight fit for the trunion, a fit that you need to use a mallet to tap it in. I called fox and tried to order their trunion for their fox vanilla r, but they said they dont sell it seperatly, how stupid.
    you'll have no problem with that ring! the original preload-ring holds the full force of the spring, if the shock is fully compressed. so why shouldn't do the other ring the same?! so, don't worry!
    I was actually thinking about an adapter like this! see the picture:

regards from munich
    gerhard

smell my finger
    What is the size of the Vanilla R you bought? I see Icycles has one on sale and I've been wondering if it would work out. It measures 6.75"from eye to eye and I'm not sure if there's enough room between the top eye and the spring to fit a trunion... i was thinking of buying a fox then taking it to a machine shop and have them make me a trunion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    [QUOTE=joemamad]What is the size of the Vanilla R you bought? I see Icycles has one on sale and I've been wondering if it would work out. It measures 6.75"from eye to eye and I'm not sure if there's enough room between the top eye and the spring to fit a trunion... i was thinking of buying a fox then taking it to a machine shop and have them make me a trunion.[/QUOTi
    I believe it should fit, but if you are trying to get 6 inchs of travel, then this shock is not for you. If you just want 4 inch, then this shock should fit. Good luck trying to get a shop to do it for you. I brough it to a few machine shop that has CNC capabilities, and they said it will cost me around 100 dollar just for them to make me one. save that 100 buck and get the shock pushed instead. Just do what i did. Just sand it down a bit and order another preload ring to keep it in place. I think that will save you money and time.

I think you should just get a shock on ebay or something, then send it push to get the factory tuning serivce. For a little more, you will get a new shock that is custom to ur weight and riding style. just my 2 cent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    oh you guys are awsome!!, i was going over the same idea in my head with the trunion, the only thing i could add is the possibility of drilling and tapping the side of the trunion and use some set screws, somthing like 3 of them, not too tight of couse but i think with 3 it wouldn't go anywhere especially with an extra ring on top. i have done some measurements and i am pretty confident that a shock that is 7.5 eye to eye will work, once you throw the trunion on it will work out to 6.5 eye to trunion. a 7.5 eye to eye shock will have a 2" stroke and will give the almost 6inches we are all looking for. if i am wrong please correct me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    oh you guys are awsome!!, i was going over the same idea in my head with the trunion, the only thing i could add is the possibility of drilling and tapping the side of the trunion and use some set screws, somthing like 3 of them, not too tight of couse but i think with 3 it wouldn't go anywhere especially with an extra ring on top. i have done some measurements and i am pretty confident that a shock that is 7.5 eye to eye will work, once you throw the trunion on it will work out to 6.5 eye to trunion. a 7.5 eye to eye shock will have a 2" stroke and will give the almost 6inches we are all looking for. if i am wrong please correct me.
    A 7.5 i2i shock with 2 inch stroke will work, but just make sure that the spring allow you to have enough thread to thread the upper ring on. I have a 7.875 fox, and a 550x2.29 spring which was a little too long, i have to compress the spring in order to get enough thread for the upper ring. So i am getting another spring that is 2.0 or 2.1, so it will have enough thread. Just soemthing to think about.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Or you could just buy this Vanilla R with Schwinn trunion mount

Here's the clean, easy way to get the right shock:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1
    2 wheels

mtbr "member"

do you still have this shock?

The one I may sell hasn't had the stable platform work done yet you would have to send it out yourself.. I'd probably want $150 for the shock and the platform work is another $150.
    The problem I'm running into is that if I sell the shock separately I'm stuck with a 16" straight 6 frame without it's shock. I'm selling a 14" Straight 6 on ebay right now and will see what kind of money it brings so I can decide what to do. I know the price is high but I like my Pushed Vanilla set up so much that I know it's worth it.

wondering if you still had the non-pushed fox? If so, still want to sell it?

REEK

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Reek
    wondering if you still had the non-pushed fox? If so, still want to sell it?

REEK
    Yes,
    This is what you'd see if you read to the bottom of the thread.

2 wheels

mtbr "member"

Thousand pardons...

Yes,
    This is what you'd see if you read to the bottom of the thread.

Please forgive my incompleteness.

REEK

May 2005
    If any of you know where I can found a rear shock for my 4 banger available in FRANCE please let me know

I've just a DELUXE on it at the moment but any of yowho already own one know that history can stop at any moment with this fu....ng shock

Thanks for your help

Person
    Sep 2005
    Bump!

Is the trunion mount for the 4 bangers the same as what GT used on the LTS bikes?

mtbr member
    I have a '99 homegrown 4-banger that I did the upgade on. Bike rode great. I am in the process of building up a new bike, If anybody wants the rear shock let me know. It is a Stratos helix expert.

Jan 2008

98 Homegrown 4 Banger All Mountain Bike

i bought the frame in 99 it has served me well, last summer i did a full bearing replace and tightend up the rear end, it rides never better

it has a psylo sl 5'', cane creek headset, xt 4 piston disc brakes
    mavic f519 rims 36 hole 4 cross 14g, hayes elite front xt rear hubs ( i built them strong) SID rear shock Dual air, XT cranks xtr rear der, thomson laid back seat post, flite saddle Michelin 2.20 HV tires

frame measures bb to seat collar 17.5 inches
    BASS boat blue and silver coloring
    trying to get a picture

make a reasonable offer on anything or whole bike

CTB
    mtbr member
    Sorry to drudge up an old thread, but I'm just getting back into this.

Does a Straight 6 shock simply bolt-up to a 4-Banger? If one could locate a Straight 6 shock and spring, what else is needed to attach it? Thanks!

smell my finger
    As long as you have the right shock with the trunion mount, all of the mounting hardware, the bolts will transfer over. The reducer bushings at the bottom of the shock may be different between rockshox and fox (not sure) but the shock may have those installed already? Everything will fit in the frame perfectly.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Thanks, joemamad! I just remembered that the S6 had both a pull and push shock version; I assume one needs the push shock version for 4-Banger conversion since it was push as well.

mtbr "member"

If you have the push shock model

Quote Originally Posted by CTB
    Thanks, joemamad! I just remembered that the S6 had both a pull and push shock version; I assume one needs the push shock version for 4-Banger conversion since it was push as well.
    Which I assume you do since it's a 4 banger, all you need is a Fox Vanilla R any year WITHOUT a piggy back (pre 2006 I think). Eye to eye 7.5 or 7.875 will work. Stroke is 2 inches for the shock. Propedal is nice to have.

The trunion threads right on to the shock. You don't need the straight six specific fox shock. Of course if you have a Rock Shox on your 4 banger now, the trunion is threaded differently so you're out of luck unless you can find an old rock shox with a 2 inch stroke.

REEK

CTB
    mtbr member
    Thanks, Reek. I don't have anything at this point. I'm hoping to find a nice 17" 4-Banger, and of course the conversion to more travel sounds interesting. Just fact-finding for when I do find a bike to buy.

Lots of good info guys - thanks!

CTB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baulz
    Bump!

Is the trunion mount for the 4 bangers the same as what GT used on the LTS bikes?
    I just had this exact same question. Can anyone shed some light here? Thanks!